Why the rapid weight loss on Low Carb ( Induction ) stops

Options

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting this together. It's very informative and clears a few things up for me.

YES! this was great information. Thank you very much for posting this in an easy to read way
  • dperri471
    dperri471 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post. Great information and will help me not get discouraged when I see the low number. Thank you
  • PINKinquisition1908
    PINKinquisition1908 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This continues to be my favorite post in MFP history. :flowerforyou:
  • washingtonred
    Options
    This continues to be my favorite post in MFP history. :flowerforyou:

I totally concur!!!!!!

I've read it numerous times as it helps me on the straight and narrow LC path!!!!

Red
  • DorthyMontine
    DorthyMontine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So glad I found this today. Explained a lot and re-motivated me!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Great post! :drinker:
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    How long does it take to slow down? Last time I lost 89 pounds in 5 months and it never slowed down. This time since I HAVE to do it for medical reasons I am curious when it will slow and when I should move to OWL. Ive been planning on staying in induction until I reach my first goal and then moving on.
  • Utahgirl12
    Utahgirl12 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this....it helps with the "only a pound???" situation!
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    This article has been a great help and inspiration to me when I hit a stall.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Basically your fat goes, and the former fat filled cells fill with water which will eventually leave in a "whoosh". It's why stubborn belly fat becomes squishy and lumpy.

In a nutshell, you are losing fat in ketosis while not actually losing weight when in a stall. You just have to KCKO and wait for a whoosh! :)
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump! Need to revisit this today. :happy:
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post. I was feeling really discouraged today, I've gained a pound and a half in the last couple of days and I've been really good. I know I need to stay on plan and will do that.

One thing I have to ask is I have used the Ketosticks several times and have never gone past trace in the level. Do some people just never register larger amounts of ketones and still remain in ketosis?

If you register, you're in and that's all that matters. The darker the ketones doesn't mean you're extra in ketosis. The goal should be to make it as faint as possible due to ginormous water intake. If you're peeing purple, help your kidneys out and drink some water :)

No, just no. You can be perfectly hydrated and have a dark purple. Ketostix don't measure hydration. They also do poor job of measuring ketones.
  • Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I switched to keto/ carb cycling after losing 25 pounds following IIFYM. It's frustrating not experiencing the rapid weight loss but I think I'm nearing my maintenance weight so it's all a learning experience.
  • LDMslim
    Options
    Brilliant post! So glad I found this.
  • mugsinc
    Options
    Great post.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Bumping this.....it's very relevant for us newbies
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I hadn't seen this post before. Good idea to bump it. :)
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I decided to not chuck the way of eating when the loss slowed!! Must say, I feel smaller, not bloated anymore...so even if it's a slower loss it's worth it for me. My cravings have passed...with the help of the Atkins 2 net carb bars from Winco and Albertson's. Thanks for the explanation!

atkins bars aren't really good though. you shouldn't be eating 'frankenfoods'.. and definitely not til closer to your goal weight.
    yea, they're marketed as low carb and have 'atkins' on them, but they're not 'good' for you

never had a problem with atkins bars or some such. however, I cycle long, and hard. i might want the carbs, but I hate the insulin response, so atkins hits the spot.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    I'm glad I decided to not chuck the way of eating when the loss slowed!! Must say, I feel smaller, not bloated anymore...so even if it's a slower loss it's worth it for me. My cravings have passed...with the help of the Atkins 2 net carb bars from Winco and Albertson's. Thanks for the explanation!

atkins bars aren't really good though. you shouldn't be eating 'frankenfoods'.. and definitely not til closer to your goal weight.
    yea, they're marketed as low carb and have 'atkins' on them, but they're not 'good' for you

never had a problem with atkins bars or some such. however, I cycle long, and hard. i might want the carbs, but I hate the insulin response, so atkins hits the spot.

Me too, well except for the cycling. I don't have an issue with sweeteners, so anything that helps us stay consistent is worth it.