What are you doing?

Options
124»

Replies

• rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Finishing the last round of HT III, after having done I and II. I'm really happy with the results. I haven't gained weight, since I'm maintaining, but I have definitely much more definition and a solid six pack. I will continue with Strength after this and then we'll see. Not sure about Fat Loss, since I don't want/need to lose any fat. Any suggestions on that?
  • juliadijk
    juliadijk Posts: 20 Member
    Options

I think I'll just follow the book, which means HT3 and then the Strength series… maybe finally fat loss, but now there's not much fat to lose.

3 WO/week is plenty - they actually recommend to not do more than that.

25 reps is doable with lighter weights, but for the body weight exercises like dips I just cannot handle it.

Hey how's it going? I started HT2 but I've decided to end my bulk early b/c, well, I'm looking really fat and I want to lose even a little weight for my vacation in august. I'll still be continuing with HT2, then S1 (I'm doing Eternal Beginner). Not sure about doing FLIII like the book suggests tho, I hear lower volume with higher reps is more ideal for cutting with minimal, if any, muscle loss. Don't want to lose the muscle I've worked so hard for.

I haven't done any of the 25 rep workouts yet, but I can wait :laugh:. As for the dips, I can't do any with full ROM so I'm working on it. Same for chin-ups so I substitute underhand lat-pulldowns instead.

Oh my gosh, I didn't see there was another lady on the NROL for Men forum! I just started HT2 last week too! I do miss squats a bit, but the workout is killing me enough right now hahaha. I use the assisting machine for dips and chin ups. The 25 rep workouts are hard, but luckily it only has 2 sets :)
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Hey! I added you as a friend. It's great to have another female doing this program while I'm doing it. I actually finished HT2 3 weeks ago and I'm now on my second week of S1.

For HT2 I really missed squats so what did I do???....I added them in at the end :laugh:. I'm sorry but I love squatting too much to go a whole 6-8 weeks without them. They're back in S1 thank God and I'm LOVING this phase so much. Heavy weights with few reps. That's my favourite. I absolutely hate doing any more than 8 reps on an exercise. You actually get to test your 1RM which is totally cool.

You know what I'm glad is also back, regular deadlifts. First we did deadlift shrugs in HT1 then snatch-grip DLs in HT2, I was really missing just plain old DLs. I was able to DL more than my bodyweight last week which is a first for me. Did I ever mention that I just LOVE this program?

What is everyone else currently doing?
  • juliadijk
    Options
    Hey! I added you as a friend. It's great to have another female doing this program while I'm doing it. I actually finished HT2 3 weeks ago and I'm now on my second week of S1.

For HT2 I really missed squats so what did I do???....I added them in at the end :laugh:. I'm sorry but I love squatting too much to go a whole 6-8 weeks without them. They're back in S1 thank God and I'm LOVING this phase so much. Heavy weights with few reps. That's my favourite. I absolutely hate doing any more than 8 reps on an exercise. You actually get to test your 1RM which is totally cool.

You know what I'm glad is also back, regular deadlifts. First we did deadlift shrugs in HT1 then snatch-grip DLs in HT2, I was really missing just plain old DLs. I was able to DL more than my bodyweight last week which is a first for me. Did I ever mention that I just LOVE this program?

What is everyone else currently doing?

I am sooooo looking forward to S1! My boyfriend already went through that fase and he says it won't really do much for extra muscle or fat loss, it does allow you to return to other programs being able to use higher weights, so more progress :)

I must admit I sometimes cheat a little bit with the DLs. I warmed up with DL shrugs and worked my way up, but as soon as I noticed I could put on some more plates leaving the shrugs out, I eventually did. I felt like my back and legs weren't really getting the workout they were supposed to if I kept my weights low enough to be able to do shrugs. And I did the same with the snatch-grip. My grip was really weak in the beginning and I just switched to normal mixed-grip when my hands and upper back could not take it anymore.

I do miss squats too, but I decided to not add them to the program for the time being. I am recovering from a mild quad injury (it's just a bit irritated and it would make my knee hurt after squats) so it's probably good to avoid them, visit a physical therapist and re-add them after HT2 is over!
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    I am sooooo looking forward to S1! My boyfriend already went through that fase and he says it won't really do much for extra muscle or fat loss, it does allow you to return to other programs being able to use higher weights, so more progress :)

I must admit I sometimes cheat a little bit with the DLs. I warmed up with DL shrugs and worked my way up, but as soon as I noticed I could put on some more plates leaving the shrugs out, I eventually did. I felt like my back and legs weren't really getting the workout they were supposed to if I kept my weights low enough to be able to do shrugs. And I did the same with the snatch-grip. My grip was really weak in the beginning and I just switched to normal mixed-grip when my hands and upper back could not take it anymore.

I do miss squats too, but I decided to not add them to the program for the time being. I am recovering from a mild quad injury (it's just a bit irritated and it would make my knee hurt after squats) so it's probably good to avoid them, visit a physical therapist and re-add them after HT2 is over!

I should have done that with the DLs too! Ah well...

I agree w/ your bf. S1 is about building um...strength :laugh:. But the truth is, even though being strong is a goal of mine, I have on a lot of fat and so fat loss is my main goal. Because of this I was going to do FL3 after HT2 when I finished my bulk. But some persons on another forum (who had successfully bulked) advised me that doing those high rep low weight sets would not only burn the fat but I might end up losing some of the muscle I struggled so hard to gain in my bulk. They suggested that I stick to the low rep high volume sets and try to lose the fat via my food by maintaining a small calorie deficit instead. So that's what I'm TRYING to do.

Sorry to hear about your quad injury, I guess HT2 will give it a chance to rest before you go really heavy with those weights in S1.
  • rogerbosch
    Options
    Too bad you ladies missed HT3 - for me, the best results so far came from there. As for many reps with low weights, I do not think that that necessarily causes muscle loss if one eats enough.

One more HT3 leg workout and then I'm going on to Strength 1. I'm ready for a change in routine and looking forward to the DL's again.
  • juliadijk
    Options
    Sooooo, I am halfway HT 2 and loving some of the progress (more muscle in my upper body and really working arms, shoulders and back, because arms and upper back are my weak areas), but I do miss working out 4 times a week (as there must be one rest day between the workouts). I feel another kind of fatigue after working out, my muscles feel a little bit more sore, but I don't really feel as worn out as I felt after finishing Fat Loss workouts. I know it's part of the program, that other kind of fatigue though. I feel even more strong and confident at the gym and take that attitude to other places of my life as well!

How is everybody else doing?
  • rogerbosch
    Options
    Hey fellow NROL-ers and -sters, y'all still there?

I arrived at the Strength II part and have gained 2 kilo's (must be part fat) since Hypertrophy. It's because I ate more, I just would like to know what made me eat more! It wasn't a conscious choice or anything.

Anyway, it's a good motivator to do Fat Loss after I have finished Strength 3 in 8 weeks or so. I am proud of my 300 lb 1 rep max deadlift, although my form probably could be improved, but I'm glad we're relieved of the 1 rep max DL's and Squats for now. They might have done some harm to my heels...
    Also, the narrow grip chin ups were a delight. For the max rep in St1 my feet hauled a 70 lbs dumbbell with them, and I'm trying to get my one-arm chin up now… Still have to support my wrist with the other arm, but I'm sure I'll get there by the time it's weight loss hour!

Good luck y'all, hang in there!
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just finished up the break-in workout (again, after recovering from my wrist injury). I'm resting for the remainder of the week, or at least only doing cardio. Next week I start HT1; I'm pretty excited.
  • Rak0ribz
    Options
    Bulgarian split squats - man, those Bulgarians must have some big freakin' legs.
  • jamaicanlady
    Options
    Hey everybody. I had stopped doing NROL a while back. I just started Supercharged last week. Anyone else made the switch?
  • Rak0ribz
    Options
    Nah - still doing the normally-aspirated weightlifting.
  • brushe
    brushe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Break in week 3! it's been a good springboard, but I'm ready for more challenging moves/weight/reps.
  • stormfront98
    stormfront98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    gloves are a most have .. protect the hands..
    so the question above what am I doing.. programming this Vivofit 2 to track my activity I am sure its not 100% accurate but its close enough .. just getting it up and set .. a bit of time
  • ReyJ412
    ReyJ412 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    RahBuhBuh wrote: »
    But the Swiss ball stuff. I am not going to do that at the gym

The Swiss ball is kind of a public insult to my manhood. I never see guys doing them at the gym, only girls. :(
    But, I'm still doing them.

This made me actually laugh out loud while sitting in a Midas waiting for my vehicle.