Stage 1

Options

Replies

• terrie_k
    terrie_k Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    What have you been doing for squats? I can't offer many suggestions for machines as I have tried staying away from them as I want the full body workout, but I did find that switching to a barbell for stepups and lunges worked better for me. I had issues with grip so I couldn't move up, but now with a barbell, I am doing step-ups with 60lbs loaded on a bar (no way I could hold 50 lb dumbells in each hand). Using a barbell may shift the weight a little more too so it may not be as hard on your knees (my lunges were walking also for stage 1).
    With all that said, I am not sure if you read ahead, but there is a lot of lunges (different varieties) and stepups later on (stage 2). Maybe try some of the other lunges, like from a box, instead..?
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the squats with a barbell and have no problems with those. No I haven't read that far ahead maybe I'll go and just check out a few variety and try them. Good do know that walking lunges is ok!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Today will be workout B-7. I increased weight steadily but recently been getting stuck where I can't even do 6 reps... Not sure what I'm doing wrong- could I be breathing the wrong way? Did I move up too fast?
    I am stuck between the need to progress and the need to do the reps well enough, i.e. not slack off on the last two reps because they're too hard or something...

IDK... Just feeling a bit lost and like I've hit a wall.

Any support will be appreciated.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Today will be workout B-7. I increased weight steadily but recently been getting stuck where I can't even do 6 reps... Not sure what I'm doing wrong- could I be breathing the wrong way? Did I move up too fast?
    I am stuck between the need to progress and the need to do the reps well enough, i.e. not slack off on the last two reps because they're too hard or something...

IDK... Just feeling a bit lost and like I've hit a wall.

Any support will be appreciated.

You may have moved up too fast. I would back off the weight a little and then move back up in a week or two
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    I'm probably talking to an empty room here but that's okay since I love the sound of my own voice lol. I'm starting nrol4w tonight. I'm going to pick up my step and hopefully my barbell tonight because I'm really sick of using my easy curl bar as a sub. If I start the program today I'll be finished at the end of September and I'm really excited to get started. I brought the book with me to work to day so that I can reread the food and exercise form portions again just to make sure I'm doing everything right.
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Finished stage 1 on Sunday!

I had the most annoying realization- I was having a lot of trouble with the lat pull down. My stats were all over the map. One day I was doing 75# and the next time around 75# was impossible and I had to go all the way to 60#.

Frustrated and confused, I was hit with sudden clarity.

The pull down bars are not the same! There is a black one and a silver one and the black one weighs a lot more so it helps you pull more weight. So when I thought I was doing 75# last time, was probably closer to 60#. So after 8 workouts of "inconsistent" progress, I finish stage 1 without feeling good about this one, but as a defense, I always made sure to feel challenged. I hope it means some strength was achieved nonetheless.

Stage 2 here I come!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    It's funny. When I looked at workout A I thought to myself "You've been doing the lifting thing for 2 and a half months. This will be a piece of cake" I read the past posts on stage one and STILL thought "You've been doing the lifting thing for 2 and a half months. This will be a piece of cake". If workout A is what cake is really like then I never want to eat cake again. I couldn't even get through all of the step ups or prone jack knifes. I did about ten reps per set. At the end I was starting to sweat and I NEVER sweat when I'm working out. My legs felt like jelly when I was finished and I barely had the energy to start up the blender to make my protein shake and dinner. B1 tonight and since my legs still feel like crap I know it's going to be interesting. I'm certainly going to go into this with much more humility.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    Completed my first week. Now that I've gotten over my abject terror of the workouts I'm ready to go ahead and tackle this weeks three workouts full steam ahead. I've joined the challenge in the daily discussion thread and my goals are to complete the three workouts this week, hit my calorie goals, and go walking/running on the weekends weather permitting. I think these are all feasible goals and I'm excited to get this week started. I had a bit of a panic on Friday I think because my weight was up .6 pounds. I had a brief second where I was ready to give up on the program and regretted every bite of food that went in my mouth. But then reason kicked in and I remembered that I had bumped up my calories by 400-700 and had reintroduced weight lifting after a week off. Of course my weight is up a little. I weighed myself again this morning and I'm right back where I was before I started NROLFW. I almost freaked for nothing.
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Completed my first week. Now that I've gotten over my abject terror of the workouts I'm ready to go ahead and tackle this weeks three workouts full steam ahead. I've joined the challenge in the daily discussion thread and my goals are to complete the three workouts this week, hit my calorie goals, and go walking/running on the weekends weather permitting. I think these are all feasible goals and I'm excited to get this week started. I had a bit of a panic on Friday I think because my weight was up .6 pounds. I had a brief second where I was ready to give up on the program and regretted every bite of food that went in my mouth. But then reason kicked in and I remembered that I had bumped up my calories by 400-700 and had reintroduced weight lifting after a week off. Of course my weight is up a little. I weighed myself again this morning and I'm right back where I was before I started NROLFW. I almost freaked for nothing.

I stalled for a full month after beginning NROL4W. I was even up a bit on some days. I trusted the process and I did lose inches that month so it was all good :) I began losing again in month #2, but it is slower now. I lost 4 pounds in March, but I also lost 4 inches. I am okay with that.
  • charleigh78
    Options
    I finished my last Phase 1, A workout. One more workout (tomorrow) for Phase 1. Yay!

Beginning and ending weights
    Squat
    beginning = smith bar
    end = free barbell, total of 110 pounds

Push-up
    Beginning=girl push ups
    End=boy push ups

Row
    beginning =70lb
    end=160lb

step-up
    15 pound dumb bells
    30 pound dumb bells (I am stuck there because of hand strength :/

Jack-knife
    beginning = 8
    end=15
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options

I stalled for a full month after beginning NROL4W. I was even up a bit on some days. I trusted the process and I did lose inches that month so it was all good :) I began losing again in month #2, but it is slower now. I lost 4 pounds in March, but I also lost 4 inches. I am okay with that.

Did you follow the eating plan as well?
  • charleigh78
    Options

Did you follow the eating plan as well?

He suggests that you eat at maintenance for one month and I didn't. I did increase my cals some. I was 1200-1300 before lifting and now I am eating 1400-1600 plus eating back 50-75% of my exercise calories.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Wow ladies, you're all so inspiring! I am starting stage 1 on Monday and have a question about the squat in Workout A: am I okay to sub dumbells resting on my shoulders for the barbell at first?

Also, regarding the step up, is it better to increase the weight of my dumbells or the height of the step, as I move on? Or did you increase both a bit at the same time?

Finally, for the prone jackknife: if I have already been doing these for a bit and therefore find the sets and reps pretty easy, should I modify it to a straight-leg jackknife? Two sets of 8 or 10 wouldn't be challenging for me right now.

Thanks!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    Wow ladies, you're all so inspiring! I am starting stage 1 on Monday and have a question about the squat in Workout A: am I okay to sub dumbells resting on my shoulders for the barbell at first?

Also, regarding the step up, is it better to increase the weight of my dumbells or the height of the step, as I move on? Or did you increase both a bit at the same time?

Finally, for the prone jackknife: if I have already been doing these for a bit and therefore find the sets and reps pretty easy, should I modify it to a straight-leg jackknife? Two sets of 8 or 10 wouldn't be challenging for me right now.

Thanks!

You are absolutely okay to squat dumbells before switching over to the barbell. That's how I used to do them. You won't progress as quickly or see as quick a change in your body but they will still work. With the step up I've found that when I increase the height I have to work my way back up to the heavier weights. Prone jack knifes aren't challenging for you? Congratulations. You've just moved into hero status. If you need to modify them for a challenge I can't see why the author would say no. Just pay attention to your body. If anything starts to hurt in a way that it shouldn't back off the modification. Happy lifting and enjoy that first workout!
  • fitKT2B
    fitKT2B Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ok, question for you ladies. My gym doesn't have a squat rack so it looks like I can either choose a smith machine or would have to lift lighter to actually get the weight over my head on my shoulder. What should I use? What are my options?

Thanks!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    Ok, question for you ladies. My gym doesn't have a squat rack so it looks like I can either choose a smith machine or would have to lift lighter to actually get the weight over my head on my shoulder. What should I use? What are my options?

Thanks!

From what I've read the smith machine isn't good for you because it limits your range of motion, takes away your bodies need to balance, and works completely different muscles. You may be better off going lighter so you can get the weight on you.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    Hey,
    I started level 1, workout A yesterday. I used really light weights because I wasn't sure how much I could handle. Today I went for a run which was probably a bad idea because now my whole body is exhausted. Looking forward to workout B tomorrow.
  • Pudding1980
    Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have done workout A and B both once and liked most of it, except the push-ups and lunges. I suck at those. I am disappointed because I am not lifting as heavy as most of you and thought I had decent strength to begin with. Oh well. Onward and upward!
  • redlipsticklyfe
    Options
    DouMc- I went for a run yesterday as well after doing A3. I fell asleep on my couch at like 8:30! These workouts don't look like they'll take a lot out of you but then I try to add in something else and I'm worn down!
    Pudding1980- One of the tips that I liked the best that's floating around somewhere on MFP is that heavy lifting is a subjective term. If it's heavy for YOU then it's heavy. It doesn't matter what anyone else is lifting as long as your progressively lifting a little bit more as often as you can. I was lifting before I started NR and I had to decrease my weights with some of the workouts! Don't get discouraged. I can't get past 60 degree pushups to save my life and I had to change the way I do lunges so that they wouldn't hurt my knee. It's easy to feel like everyone else is breezing through these workouts and you're just stuck and crazy looking but I guarantee you that is not the case.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I love your username redlipstickly! :laugh: And yes the workouts do take a lot out of you!
    I did workout B today and I loved it all except for the lunges. I hate lunges!! I did my first set with 10lbs dumbbells and only managed 10 reps so I went down to 4kg dumbbells and again only managed 10 reps!

Pudding1980, I agree on the push ups, I tried doing them off a bench in the gym and was a little embarrassed when I had to give up and go for a higher incline! We will get there though! I am also lifting very light compared to everyone else here but as redlipstickly said, its all relative, if it is heavy for you then it is doing the work!