Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Keep running, people!

W5D2 wasn't too bad today, it wasn't too hot, there was a slight breeze, and I didn't hear a constant negative voice in my head. Looking forward to W5D3, the big one; have done it before and will do it again!
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    DId W3D3 today...feeling good in that one and ready to tackle W4...during W3D1 my phone rang in the middle of the first 3 minute run and I didn't realize right away that it froze the timer, so I ran longer than 3 minutes...that little oops is really helping my confidence that I will be able to get through the 5 minute runs though. Besides, 2 weeks ago I was huffing and puffing and barely getting my feet off the ground for a 1 minute run and now I'm pushing through 3+...I figure if I can do that, I can push to 5...and then 8..and then 10....:) Less than a month to go till my 1st 5K...
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Finished W1D3 today. Felt really good. I chose a nice quiet rail trail, I don't like pavement or back roads, but there is a very slight incline to it. I ran "downhill" the first half and "uphill" on the way back. I don't know whether to alternate starting points or just do it that way each time. I really like that part of the trail, much of the rest of it is wide open, and it slants the entire length of it.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    After half-a$$ing my couch to 5k training this time around, I ran a 5k on Friday night (5000ish participants - it was more of a fun community event than a race, at least for those of us at the back of the pack). It was really fun, but I walked more of the course than I did my last 5k, yet I shaved over a minute off my time, so apparently I am picking up speed on the run. I'm going to keep plugging away at the training schedule (I am in week 6 now) so that I can hopefully run the whole 5k at my first triathlon next month. I honestly think that at this point it's a mental thing. I can keep running, I just need to make myself do it, and I need to be running three days a week instead of this once or twice a week that I've been doing lately.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I am re-doing C25k with a co-worker who just started running. We did our 2nd day yesterday. She is doing great! I have to keep reminding myself to slow down. I'm trying to remember to let her lead the run intervals.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I attempted W4D1 and only made it halfway through before I felt a weird tinge in my left calf mucle that went all the way up to the back of my knee. I decieded to finish the day by walking at an 3%+ inclince to try to strech out my calfs.
  • pistachiopeas
    pistachiopeas Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just completed W1D3. Felt glorious during that last run. I'm going to do W2D1 on Thursday and then again on Monday because I'm going out of town Thurs night-Sunday night.
  • kbwellman
    kbwellman Posts: 2
    Options
    As embarrassing as this is - I wanted to hold myself accountable for getting my rear in gear. Last night hubs and I made it half-way through W1D1 before we headed back home. I think it's time to invest in some real running shoes (instead of the cute cheapo ones I picked up before) as the calf pains made it hard for me to push through the pain.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    As embarrassing as this is - I wanted to hold myself accountable for getting my rear in gear. Last night hubs and I made it half-way through W1D1 before we headed back home. I think it's time to invest in some real running shoes (instead of the cute cheapo ones I picked up before) as the calf pains made it hard for me to push through the pain.

That's a great start!

Definitely invest in some good shoes - it will make a world of difference. Your calves will get used to it with time. Mine hurt a lot at the start, but with proper footwear and getting more miles under my feet, they don't hurt any more. Also, I do more of a warm up than the five minutes the program calls for - it takes me at least ten minutes to get loosened up to run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I just completed W1D3. Felt glorious during that last run. I'm going to do W2D1 on Thursday and then again on Monday because I'm going out of town Thurs night-Sunday night.

I would just go on to W2D2 on Monday. You can always repeat if you struggle too much!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I attempted W4D1 and only made it halfway through before I felt a weird tinge in my left calf mucle that went all the way up to the back of my knee. I decieded to finish the day by walking at an 3%+ inclince to try to strech out my calfs.
    Good call. If it's one-sided, there's definitely reason to slow down.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Pushing through pain is never a good idea, buying good running shoes however is.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's something that many say; more difficult to run outside. Why do you think that is? I've only ever run on sand roads and pavement.

It's any transition. I did the program both outside and on the 'mill. No problems with either.

Then it was spring and I went outside until it got too cold. I can no longer run for thirty minutes straight on a treadmill, so I do intervals. THEN I transitioned back outside and that kicked my butt.

ANY change in running should be accompanied by scaling back weekly miles and speed, and then working back up over a week or two.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    After half-a$$ing my couch to 5k training this time around, I ran a 5k on Friday night (5000ish participants - it was more of a fun community event than a race, at least for those of us at the back of the pack). It was really fun, but I walked more of the course than I did my last 5k, yet I shaved over a minute off my time, so apparently I am picking up speed on the run. I'm going to keep plugging away at the training schedule (I am in week 6 now) so that I can hopefully run the whole 5k at my first triathlon next month. I honestly think that at this point it's a mental thing. I can keep running, I just need to make myself do it, and I need to be running three days a week instead of this once or twice a week that I've been doing lately.
    I don't know much about triathlon yet, but the way you describe running makes me think it's not one of your favourite things to do? Do you think training with someone else might make it more fun or do you prefer solo running?
  • greentree0
    greentree0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    W1D3 done. But my knee is a bit sore :-( I'm heavier than when I did C25k two years ago, but I have good shoes.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    W1D3 done. But my knee is a bit sore :-( I'm heavier than when I did C25k two years ago, but I have good shoes.
    A tiny bit of soreness is expected, but you should keep an eye on the situation and maybe slow down. Sometimes my right ankle feels more sore and I think it is because my posture isn't completely even; something else to pay attention to. Maybe you can ask a friend to look at you when you run a bit? Are you running on a soft or hard surface?
  • greentree0
    Options
    A tiny bit of soreness is expected, but you should keep an eye on the situation and maybe slow down. Sometimes my right ankle feels more sore and I think it is because my posture isn't completely even; something else to pay attention to. Maybe you can ask a friend to look at you when you run a bit? Are you running on a soft or hard surface?
    I'm running on the sidewalk (I think they're concrete, not tarmac here). And I unfortunately have no-one to ask to look at my posture, but I'll try to be conscious of it next time. I started feeling pressure in my knee during run 1 (they're only 60s this week) but it didn't get worse in the subsequent ones. I guess I'll see how I feel during W2D1. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I'm running on the sidewalk (I think they're concrete, not tarmac here). And I unfortunately have no-one to ask to look at my posture, but I'll try to be conscious of it next time. I started feeling pressure in my knee during run 1 (they're only 60s this week) but it didn't get worse in the subsequent ones. I guess I'll see how I feel during W2D1. Thanks for the suggestions!
    There are many youtube videos on good running form, check them out - and read the comments, too, since not all trainers know what they are talking about.
  • greentree0
    Options
    There are many youtube videos on good running form, check them out - and read the comments, too, since not all trainers know what they are talking about.
    That's a great idea AglaeaC - I hadn't thought of that.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    That's a great idea AglaeaC - I hadn't thought of that.
    There is an app, I'll ask Varda, via which you can get a coach to look at your running. Someone has to film it but it is a great alternative if a permanent personal trainer isn't an option.