Options
    Great to see you back Byrdiebee!

Mile: 179
    Camp in western part of the Marshes.

Breaking out the midge repellent!
  • AmeliaJ92
    AmeliaJ92 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been here in a while. I'm studying abroad for a semester, and it took me about a month to get out of vacation mode and realize I need to get back to eating right and exercising. Went on a trip with friends the other day and we wound up hiking up a hill. The views were spectacular and reminded me of Middle Earth which then reminded me of this challenge. The walk was about 2 miles bringing my total to 81 miles.
  • CaliSpooky
    CaliSpooky Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mile: 194

Camp in eastern part of the Marshes. See flashes of light in the east during the night (Gandalf on Weathertop).
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    Another weekend trip in which hiking was involved. Two more miles brings me to 83 miles. Still on the path in the forest.
  • CaliSpooky
    CaliSpooky Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Mile: 213

Camp by a stream, among stunted alder trees. Moon waxing.
    Frost. Very clear. Can see crumbled ruins on Hills ahead.
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Well I started all over again, as I can't remember how far I got when I started 2 years :noway: ago, but I've been logging the miles walked since restarting in March this year and I'm up to just under 40 miles.

I'm on Day 2: 38 - 41 miles - Go on in twilight. Begin to sing.
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Am I too late to join you in the walk to Mordor?
  • Jaessa
    Jaessa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    It's never to late to join in the quest! I've been working on this since 2008. We welcome all walkers and encourage you along the way. The road goes ever on and on........
  • first78
    first78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to set out on my journey!! :)
  • sotellmedarling
    sotellmedarling Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I just started my own journey to Bag End to Rivendell Monday of this week (having come across the concept on a few blogs elsewhere last weekend). I'm blogging about it to (or trying to), but had the thought to see if there was an MFP group based on the Middle-earth treks. So glad that there is!! (And not just because it saves me the trouble of creating one myself :laugh:). I hope you don't mind me dropping in on this group for some extra motivation :flowerforyou:

My current goal is to make it to Rivendell before October 25th since 1. it's the date of the Council of Elrond and 2. it's also my birthday. I'm currently going about 20 miles a week (a good average based on where my body's at right now/my typical work out average) to reach my goal. And should anything come up between then and now to slow me down I'll still try to keep going until I reach Rivendell! It's all about the journey after all. I realize this is a walking group, but I'm also into jogging and biking so I hope that's ok too :)
  • Jaessa
    Jaessa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! All are welcome and we all need follow travelers to help and encourage us along the way. It sounds like you have your plan and goals all set out and are ready to start in. I've always felt that any form of physical transportation counts as the Hobbits used ponies and boats also. The main thing is not to get discouraged. I've been working on this quest since 2008 and finally made it to Mount Doom! I am now on the journey home. Tell Elrond hello when you reach Rivendell!
  • d3mon4ngel
    Options
    Forgot to put my updates on here!

After a bit of training and two parkruns, I'm currently up to 48.2 miles, which is Day 3: 48 miles - Pippin realizes it is the Stock-brook. The banks are low enough now for them to cross. The land on its south bank is wet and reedy.
  • d3mon4ngel
    Options
    Day 3: 50 miles - They reach a belt of trees, mostly oaks with a few elms and ash. Drops of rain fall.
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    Getting lost and walking 5 miles to find a UNESCO World Heritage Site brings me to 88 miles total. I hope to start walking more now that I'm back from my semester abroad and am back into a more normal routine.
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    Where is everyone? My 1 mile walk with the dog yesterday brings me to 89 miles total.
  • DLDzioba
    DLDzioba Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    41.41 total today.
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    91 miles.
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    93 miles
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    95 miles. Stop by Old Man Willow to rest. Rescued by Tom Bombadil.
  • AmeliaJ92
    Options
    97 miles