Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• marinadanielle
    marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Finally got back out there and redid W2D2 after a week long break to let my swollen knee go down. It's still a little puffy, but I feel fine after the run so hopefully it's okay. Those 90 seconds of running got brutal by the third interval, and I got passed by several kids, and by a guy with a cane (not making fun of them, just pointing out how pathetically slow I am!) but I pushed through and got it done!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    W4D2 today went much better than W4D1. Heart rate seemed to recover normally. Must have just been an off day the last time.

I'm starting to realize it's so much easier for me to run when I'm not thinking about what I'm doing. I inevitably end up jerking out of whatever daydream (or whatever) is going on in my head and I start thinking about "oh crap I'm running, gotta breathe, etc." and the second that happens, running feels more difficult. I wish I could just stay in that not-thinking-about-running zone.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    W6D3 done!! So long, walking breaks!
  • jaireed
    jaireed Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to C25K but not to MFP. Running is something I never thought I could do but have managed to run/jog a mile successfully for the first time in my life and now want to train for my first C25K. I really want to run a Run or Dye 5K Sept 13th. Yesterday I started training using Cool Runnings. I did 60 sec walks with 90 sec running intervals pushing the stroller around the track. It was tough work but felt good. I'm thinking about running a mile on my off days and on my 3 days on doing the training with one day of rest. I am also looking for a training app. I found a ton of them but not sure which to go with. I'd love some support and answers to the many questions I have/ will have on my new journey and will provide support. Thanks! Jai
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about running a mile on my off days and on my 3 days on doing the training with one day of rest.

Personally I'd suggest that you do something else on your non running days, I swam, rowed or did some bodyweight resistance training when I was doing C25K.

As running can be quite hard on the joints and connective tissue until you're more conditioned it's wise to give them the opportunity to recover and toughen up.

Some people manage it, although we're never going to see them come back in saying I'm injured

Notwithstanding that I used the NHS podcasts alongside Runkeeper, and 15 months later that gives me access to all my original records from those runs, rather than locking them into a limited app. That said, there are several around, some of which are free, and various people will advocate their favourite. Have an explore around the app store.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    W5D2 yesterday, but it didn't go too well. It was entirely too hot outside and although I got through one 8-minute segment I found myself walking part of the second. I may redo it.
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    When do people start running 4-6 times a week?

I ran five days per week when I was ramping up on a 10K improvement plan, I was knackered and ended up missing several training sessions before racing so wouldn't really recommend it. I'm on half marathon training at the moment and only run four times per week.

More days is feasible if it's only short runs, 3-4km, but 5km very day is quite demanding even on experienced runners.

Quality is more important than quantity in this sense; long slow run, tempo run, interval run and recovery session with cross training.

Thanks for the response. Man, that is what I keep reading. I'll stop thinking I'm unique and special and injury won't happen to me. LOL.
  • jenlynsat
    jenlynsat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just finished w6d3 today--was tough; I don't think I realized how much harder it is to breathe when it's this much warmer and I kept getting side stitches...regardless, on to w7d1 this week! Hoping if I run later in the evening and it's a bit cooler, it will help with the breathing. (or maybe I'll need to re-run this last one?)

Running is completely new to me--any advice is much appreciated! :)
  • kristinwesterfield
    kristinwesterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    W1D1 just finished!! Any advice or motivation is appreciated. Any other significantly overweight C25Kers out there with tips?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Just finished w6d3 today--was tough; I don't think I realized how much harder it is to breathe when it's this much warmer and I kept getting side stitches...regardless, on to w7d1 this week! Hoping if I run later in the evening and it's a bit cooler, it will help with the breathing. (or maybe I'll need to re-run this last one?)

Running is completely new to me--any advice is much appreciated! :)

If you made it through the run, I'd move on to the next day! Maybe just slow your pace down a little.

I prefer to run early mornings during the summer before it gets too hot, or late evenings after it cools down some.
    W1D1 just finished!! Any advice or motivation is appreciated. Any other significantly overweight C25Kers out there with tips?

The best advice I got was to get fitted for good running shoes at a running store and to slow down. (You should be able to hold a conversation when you are running. If you can't, you are going too fast.)

Congrats on getting out there!
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Did W7D1 on Friday morning with A LOT of hills...sorta fried my knees for the remainder of the weekend though :( They are feeling better today though so W7D2 will be this evening. It's getting really hot and muggy out now so if I don't run in the morning first thing I really have no choice but to wait until it's almost dusk because it is just TOO hot otherwise... Thinking of maybe joining a gym nearby that has an indoor track for the summer...anyhow, onward and upward :smile:
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Knocked out W4D2 today, and finally moved to another area with smaller hills. With the new area I cut down my pace by 2 minutes per mile, and I still have some hills for strength. I had to walk for a short duration during the second 5 minute section, but I think I'm going to move on and if it happens again I'll repeat.

Go slow (I start running and then slow down, every time), hydrate throughout the day, if you feel like you're about to die redirect your thoughts to your breath and your feet. That last one helps me, and some people think it makes it worse.

Congrats on starting!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    W4D3 complete! When the second 5 minute run was over, I decided to keep running because I was terrified of W5D3 and I wanted to see how long I could go. I ended up going for 20 minutes! I don't think I've ever run for that long in my whole entire life. (Don't worry -- I had a 5 minute cool down after I finished running).

So, yeah, apparently, I can do this!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 9, Day 1 tonight. I had really bad stomach issues again, but I was able to finish the run. Only 2 more runs before I'm done with the program. I'm going to only track the run portion of my last run, so that I can see what my true pace is. I'm thinking it is right around 14:00/mile, so nothing too impressive. I'm hoping that I can get it down to 13:00/mile before my first 5k in July.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Week 9, Day 1 tonight. I had really bad stomach issues again, but I was able to finish the run.

What are you eating, and when are you eating it?

For an evening run I generally go out without any additional food, sometimes I'll have some fruit or something a couple of hours in advance, but that's about it. For a weekend, morning run, I'll have porridge, nuts, coffee or wholemeal toast and banana, an hour or so before I go out. I've never had any issues, but once or twice I haven't left myself enough time to digest and felt a bit uncomfortable for a little while.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Decided to say "screw it" and moved on to W5D3 yesterday... my first full 20-minute session! And you know what? I did it. I then took my dog on a 20-minute walk.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to do my 20 minute run. Two days ago, 15 minutes was no problem, but for some reason the 20 minute run scares the crap out of me!! I think the sight of no walking breaks is freaking me out, even though my cool down will be like my walking break. I've been procrastinating all morning, lol.
  • geminside
    geminside Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Just finished W3D1. First time I went running outside, usually I go on the treadmill. It wasn't easy, but I did it... :tongue:
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Well done geminside. It's much harder on land isn't it?

Anniebeanluvs, it seems like such a big leap but you can do it!

Well done nicca_jb

acidstained. I have the same issue but it's only if like meanderingmam that I've eating too close to running. I have to leave it at least an hour after I've eaten before I run.

I managed W8 D1 today. Very pleased!
  • geminside
    geminside Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree thankyou4thevenom. Running on land is way harder! I feel I ran waaaay slower outside!
    Well, if I want to pump out a 5K at some point I will have to get used to it... :laugh:

Congrats on finishing W8D1, you are nearly there! :flowerforyou: