Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Cheryl, I have been doing strength training too. I do it on Tuesdays and Thursdays and either Saturday or Sunday. Yesterday I rode my bike 22 miles in the wind. I was so tired. It was a lot harder riding against the wind. I thought it would affect today's run, but it didn't, I must have recovered enough.

I went from 30 minutes with trainer to an hour last night, from 7-8 pm. Yesterday I did dead lifts, barbell rows, and bench press as well as planks, and other body weight exercises and warm up/cool down with TRX. It's an intense hour, and I probably only had about 10 hours of rest before my run this morning. I may need to time things better.

The important thing is I did my run. I know this isn't always going to be easy.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Week 7, Day 2 was today's workout - it went well! Still fighting the side cramp issue, but working on my breathing is helping tremendously. The cramp starts after the first mile (including my warm up), but I didn't stop to walk once. I'm trying to stay positive and remember that it's improving, and I'm learning how to breathe better, so it's good stuff.

I also got to try out my new nathan 5k belt (gift for my birthday this week), and I love it! No more shoving my car key fob in my bra and saying a prayer that it doesn't fall out! I decide to forgo my arm band for my phone and I put the key fob and phone in the belt. It worked great - no bouncing and didn't interfere with my movement.
  • Putcake
    Putcake Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    W7D3 is complete.

I'm working on strength training 2-3 times a week and the increased intensity of that and my increasing run length are combining to make it less enjoyable.

Today on my run I was telling myself terrible things like "maybe you should focus on strength training" "remember why you hate cardio?" "how much longer?" My legs were sore from the training I worked on last night. I talked sense into myself and realized that I am strong enough to do this and nothing worthwhile is easy. I wasn't in any pain, just having an off day.

Once I was about 15 minutes into the run I was better.

I'm proud of myself for pushing through, the old me would not have held myself accountable to complete my run; I would have said, you worked hard last night, you can walk now.

I feel so good now, bring on Week 8!

Good for you for pushing through - sometimes it's much harder to get past our mental blocks! And just remember - 7 weeks ago you couldn't have run for 25 minutes. Now you are rocking it!
  • madmiss
    madmiss Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Go everyone!!!!! Love reading these stories and how everyone is doing, it's so inspiring!!!! I will provide pictures tomorrow ;) I can't wait, I wish it was Saturday, this is like being a kid waiting for Christmas!!!! I've been doing research though because jumping into the 5to 10 k I'm going to go from 7 miles a week to 19!!!! I am thinking I'm going to do a slow buildup for the first 5 weeks then launch into the program. Anyone else who's gotten that far got any pointers? It says you are supposed to be able to comfortably run 19 miles for 4-5 weeks before starting the program. YIKES!!!!
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Go everyone!!!!! Love reading these stories and how everyone is doing, it's so inspiring!!!! I will provide pictures tomorrow ;) I can't wait, I wish it was Saturday, this is like being a kid waiting for Christmas!!!! I've been doing research though because jumping into the 5to 10 k I'm going to go from 7 miles a week to 19!!!! I am thinking I'm going to do a slow buildup for the first 5 weeks then launch into the program. Anyone else who's gotten that far got any pointers? It says you are supposed to be able to comfortably run 19 miles for 4-5 weeks before starting the program. YIKES!!!!

There are several programs that take you from 5k to 10k. The one that I'm doing is Hal Higdon's 10k Novice program. It starts you out on 7.5 miles a week and steps you up about a 1/2 mile each week. I just finished week 2 today with a 3.5 mile run.

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51122/10K-Novice-Training-Program
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Bluefin Apps have an Ease into 10k and a Bridge to 10k app.
    Ease into 10k would be better for people who made it through the C25K but still struggle on the longer runs and would like to take a step back, Bridge to 10k is designed to follow on from Ease into 5k (The original C25K program)
    Week 6 of Ease into 10k is equal to Week 1 of Bridge to 10k.
    They have the actual programs listed on their 'blog' site

I like the Hal Higdon plans are good too. A little more focused towards running a 10k race, than just getting to the point of running 10k

I'll probably grab the Bridge to 10k app once I finish C25K and figure things out from there. Contemplating grabbing the Zombies! Run C25K app, to use as training tool for the hills I run/walk on the weekend. I would love to get to the point where I could actually run those tracks!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sup everyone!

I am loving the cross training discussions here! That is outstanding. I also see a lot of conversation about strength training. Personally, I only combine running and lifting on one day a week and it is my slow recovery run. All other days are alternating running/lifting because I like being able to focus on lifting and not having to save energy for cardio at the end, and I hate being in the gym for longer than an hour.

Anyway, this Sunday is another long run increase! 9 miles! 2 weeks until my half marathon!
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Hey..been reading up on upcoming transitions once graduating C25K...I start W7 on monday, and i completed 2.55 miles within the 22 minutes of W6D3, so i was thinking I may be able to get a 5K in on monday if i step it up a bit..i dunno, depends on how I feel...My first 5K is on Nov 9th now and I am really looking forward to it.

On a side note: I ran into a friend (he is one of the parents on my son's competitive soccer team...it's offseason, since high school soccer is going on) and he was like...holy cow..then he invited me to a tough mudder next may. I'm interested, does anyone here have any experience with that event? Currently I am planning on doing a half marathon at that time and was looking at starting a smartcoach half-marathon plan, but I have to wait about 3 months to start that..any ideas?
  • cdjohnson1966
    Options
    I finished Week 8 Day 2 yesterday morning. I ran 2.55 miles and am happy with that at this point. I will be running my first 5K November 9 which is going to be a Zombie Mud Run. I am really excited!! I can't believe how far I have come in 8 weeks. I have never been a runner before. I have lost 26 pounds and am ADDICTED to running. I do only run Mon., Wed., Fri., and I am a runner in the early a.m. before the sun comes up. Congrats to everyone that is doing so well. I have not made any goals past managing to do a 5K. Any suggestions?
  • madmiss
    Options
    Well kids, I did it!!! C25K graduation day!!! I am so proud of myself, I am actually really sad now that it's done :(

Thanks so much for the info on the bridge programs!!! I am going to look into them all and grab one for my start on Monday!

As promised, I ran in my tutu. Felt like a complete MORON but I had a bunch of people wave, and one guy on a golf cart tell me I had a nice outfit :) hahahah >>> And it was a speed tutu!!! I ran 12.9, and 12.36 miles respectively, I was so excited!!!!

Here's a picture!!! http://camerakoala.com/IMG_0292.jpg (Not sure how to get it in the thread, but it's my website, and it's safe) Can't wait to keep up the progress and good luck everyone coming up on your finishes!!!

PS> to the mud run guy - we're doing one next year, now I need some upper body strength, because I have ZERO!!!
  • joedfro
    Options
    Well kids, I did it!!! C25K graduation day!!! I am so proud of myself, I am actually really sad now that it's done :(

Thanks so much for the info on the bridge programs!!! I am going to look into them all and grab one for my start on Monday!

As promised, I ran in my tutu. Felt like a complete MORON but I had a bunch of people wave, and one guy on a golf cart tell me I had a nice outfit :) hahahah >>> And it was a speed tutu!!! I ran 12.9, and 12.36 miles respectively, I was so excited!!!!

Here's a picture!!! http://camerakoala.com/IMG_0292.jpg (Not sure how to get it in the thread, but it's my website, and it's safe) Can't wait to keep up the progress and good luck everyone coming up on your finishes!!!

PS> to the mud run guy - we're doing one next year, now I need some upper body strength, because I have ZERO!!!

Congrats!!! mad...sounds like you had a great time!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Aaaaah the tutu! It is glorious!!! Well done for graduating!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC - great job on W8D1!

Great job ALL!

completed W7D3 this morning at 5:30am. Maybe I am a morning person??? I feel great.

Happy Friday to everyone!
    Thanks! Good of you to take the morning shift, since that leaves the afternoon for me *grins*
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D1 today on the treadmill. 25 minutes of running and I ran 1.75 miles (not including warmup). I did a 25 minute run on Thursday so I was really trying to push myself speedwise today since I had the treadmill to push me along.

My 5K is in a month. Once I graduate, I found an (5K graduate) app that works on speed with drills and such. Would be nice to not only run a whole 5K, but not be the last to finish! lol

Otherwise will be trying to push myself distance-wise until then.
  • FitFunTina
    FitFunTina Posts: 282 Member
    Options

Ohhhh that's so awesome! Love that you rocked the tutu!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I think I fixed it for you :D

Here's a picture!!!
    IMG_0292.jpg
    (Not sure how to get it in the thread, but it's my website, and it's safe) Can't wait to keep up the progress and good luck everyone coming up on your finishes!!!

Joe, I'll be able to give you tough mudder feedback in about a month. I've done one 9 or 10km mud run before and 27 oct is my first tough mudder!
  • madmiss
    Options
    Thanks for fixing the pic!!!! And thanks all for the nice comments ;) what a fantastic day!!!!! I want to go run again now ;)

Oooh, and I forgot to add. In the last 9 weeks I ran, biked and walked 154 miles!!!!!!! I just wanted to share that, because that's crazy to me!
  • joedfro
    Options
    sounds great tael...thank you
  • AmandaForKeeps
    AmandaForKeeps Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great color run photo!!

I hurt my neck and was unable to run for a couple of days, but today, I went (even though I wasn't 100%). I am supposed to be on W7D2, but have decided to go back to week 6 and use distance, instead of time. It was really tough. I think it was a combo of running in the evening (normally I run in the morning), my allergies acting up, and running longer than I have yet. I am going to redo this day because I just struggled so much.
  • bjdavid53
    bjdavid53 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Completed W7D1 today. 25 minute run!!!!!! Wow. I have so much more energy to run in the morning on weekends than after work on week days. It gave me such a feeling of accomplishment all day. I`d like to run tomorrow morning but I`m not sure if I should take a rest day and wait until after work on Monday.