Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• kristinwesterfield
    kristinwesterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! I need new shoes anyway!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 9, Day 1 tonight. I had really bad stomach issues again, but I was able to finish the run.

What are you eating, and when are you eating it?

For an evening run I generally go out without any additional food, sometimes I'll have some fruit or something a couple of hours in advance, but that's about it. For a weekend, morning run, I'll have porridge, nuts, coffee or wholemeal toast and banana, an hour or so before I go out. I've never had any issues, but once or twice I haven't left myself enough time to digest and felt a bit uncomfortable for a little while.

I have been running around 9:30 PM after eating dinner at around 6 PM. I haven't really adjusted my diet yet, as I was trying to figure out what was causing the issue by seeing what patterns I can see on the days I have stomach issues. I'm considering running in the mornings, since I wouldn't have had anything to eat since 6 PM the night before. The only issue I see with that plan is that I want to start running longer distances, so not having some sort of fuel might not be the best idea. That, and getting up an hour and a half early just to run sounds awful. :P
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I have been running around 9:30 PM after eating dinner at around 6 PM. I haven't really adjusted my diet yet, as I was trying to figure out what was causing the issue by seeing what patterns I can see on the days I have stomach issues. I'm considering running in the mornings, since I wouldn't have had anything to eat since 6 PM the night before. The only issue I see with that plan is that I want to start running longer distances, so not having some sort of fuel might not be the best idea. That, and getting up an hour and a half early just to run sounds awful. :P

I hear ya on the early morning sounding like both a great and terrible idea ;)

My fiance suggested a banana to help with potassium if I went in the morning. Wake up, eat banana, wait 10-15, go. To me that's an awful lot of waking up an extra 10-15 mins early to do nothing, so if I do mornings I tend to just get up, drink some water, and run.
  • amykay9377
    amykay9377 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I've been lurking, but now I'm posting! I've been Run/Walking since 2012, doing intervals, but never have been able to do more than 1/1. I'm overweight (about 215 on a 5'7" frame) with 15 years' worth of smoker's lungs (quit 7 years ago). I have exercise-induced asthma (I have Vlad, my inhaler, as well as Singulair for every day), so I decided that I needed to really bust my *kitten* and be able to run for 30 minutes straight. Started 3 (well almost 4) weeks ago. Last week, Week 3 scared me but I just finished W3D3 yesterday, and I'm amazed that I got through the whole week!

Of course, now I'm scared for Week 4! 5 minutes is a long time to run! But, like I've done every week, I'm gonna TRY it, and if I can't do it, I'll keep doing it until I can :)
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

I hear ya on the early morning sounding like both a great and terrible idea ;)

My fiance suggested a banana to help with potassium if I went in the morning. Wake up, eat banana, wait 10-15, go. To me that's an awful lot of waking up an extra 10-15 mins early to do nothing, so if I do mornings I tend to just get up, drink some water, and run.

The only time I ate a banana before running, it made me nauseous! I can stomach a protein bar before running, but otherwise have to go at least an hour after eating, or I want to throw up!
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Finished W5D1 today (planned on doing it Monday, but while I'm crazy enough to intentionally run in the rain, I'm not yet crazy enough to run in a downpour). Thanks to everyone who suggested keeping the pace slow, I feel I can settle into a nice slow pace and kind of go forever....(I mean, not really, but still...not dying)
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I'm so busy right now with work and things I am doing for my church, that I am having a hard time finding time to fit in time to go running! or any workout for that matter. I'm getting my walking into work done but that's about it. I need to figure something out!
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I did W5D1 today. I can't believe I'm this far... It seems like I just started. I moved to some trails, and it was a lot of fun!
  • allison0820
    allison0820 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Today.. W1D2... this is my 2nd time doing C25K.. I am 2 1/2 months post partum.. so it's like starting all over for me! :) Feel free to add me!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I have been running around 9:30 PM after eating dinner at around 6 PM.

That should be long enough that it's not the process of eating, so it must be something related to what you're eating.

Sounds as if you're doing the right thing in trying to work out what the issues are.
    I'm considering running in the mornings, since I wouldn't have had anything to eat since 6 PM the night before.

It's certainly worth a try. What I'm finding is that as I'm improving my conditioning I can cope with more running on less fuel so it's becoming entirely possible to do 10K on an empty stomch for me. Of course I'd rather thave something, I'm just no longer tied to it.

I'd suggest giving it a try to see how it goes. Can't hurt.
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Knocked W7D2 out of the park!!!! Four more workouts until I move on to 10k runner :)
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    W7D3 (didn't check in on D2 cuz it totally sucked)...focused on my breathing much more today. I found info about belly breathing on Pinterest so I'm working on getting that right. I finally decided to conquer the small hill in my neighborhood (very slow but I did it!) and it's nice to have some new scenery. Couple more weeks and maybe I can include that section of neighborbood in my run.

Went to Fleet Feet Pgh this week for a gait analysis and to try new shoes (not ready to buy new ones but at least I know what to look for now) and ordered myself a new sports bra :-) why do the smaller-busted ladies get all the cute sports bras though??? So not fair lol...
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    W6D1 yesterday, and my first run with new shoes. The first few minutes were hell on the ankles, but then felt great!

My only real issue now is that I'm noticing I really don't have good shorts or pants for running. I have capris which are loose, and I have shorts which ride up... lol. I'm now in the market for something that actually fits and doesn't chafe. Oh, and doesn't make my (shrinking, but still muffin-top-y) waist hang out over the elastic. :laugh: I'm workin' on it!
  • CynNSinCity
    CynNSinCity Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So I completed W3D1, I did NOT realize it was a 3 minute job before I started... ouch. God it was a challenge to continue that. I ran for 2 minutes several weeks ago to prove to myself I could do it as I did the first few weeks... that 3 minute came out of no where. So now I know I can do it!! I have NEVER jogged for 3 minutes continuously like I did tonight. It was awesome to know I could.

Though, I think in the mornings, I'm going to start walking for a few min and then do a 3 min jog in before I get ready for work. I am not going to try to do entire exercise routine before work, but I can do 10 minutes (stretch, walk and short - 3 min jog) at least this week. I wanna start just doing this every morning to get the blood pumping in morning, not for any other reason really. Just to prove to myself I can.

yea so, that was my accomplishment tonight. I did not quit! Though I was sorely tempted, I had to chant to myself a few things as to why I was working out - none of it was actually the reason I started, but damn they are good motivators for that extra push.
  • sappy42
    sappy42 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So I completed W3D1, I did NOT realize it was a 3 minute job before I started... ouch. God it was a challenge to continue that. I ran for 2 minutes several weeks ago to prove to myself I could do it as I did the first few weeks... that 3 minute came out of no where. So now I know I can do it!! I have NEVER jogged for 3 minutes continuously like I did tonight. It was awesome to know I could.

Though, I think in the mornings, I'm going to start walking for a few min and then do a 3 min jog in before I get ready for work. I am not going to try to do entire exercise routine before work, but I can do 10 minutes (stretch, walk and short - 3 min jog) at least this week. I wanna start just doing this every morning to get the blood pumping in morning, not for any other reason really. Just to prove to myself I can.

yea so, that was my accomplishment tonight. I did not quit! Though I was sorely tempted, I had to chant to myself a few things as to why I was working out - none of it was actually the reason I started, but damn they are good motivators for that extra push.

I listen to music when I run, and EVERY time I hear either "Stand" by Rascal Flatts or "Brave" by Sara Borelis, it reminds me how far I.'ve come in a mere 7 weeks and motivates me to push myself a little more. I ran 28 minutes straight today! Huge accomplishment for someone like me, and soon that'll be YOU!
  • acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Week 9, Day 2 tonight - only one more run and I'm done with the program. No issues tonight at all, even with running an extra 6 minutes on top of the 30. If you'd ask me 9 weeks ago if I thought I'd be running 36 minutes non-stop in 9 weeks, I'd have laughed in your face... but here I am.
  • kristinwesterfield
    Options
    W1D2 done tonight! Definitely should have planned my timing better and put more space between dinner and the workout, but I got it done!
  • Aniseedvan
    Aniseedvan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Long time user of MFP, doing the C25k (zen labs). Did week 5 day 3 - 20 minutes - this morning. Honestly thought i would struggle, but I did manage!

I did a 50k charity walk last year in 8.5 hours so no stranger to long distance walking but I've not run since school many years ago. Got fed up there was so few events for walkers and training for that sort of distance takes up too much time.

I'm also running at my local sweatshop running club as one of my 3 a week runs, a week behind on their beginners plan, it's a good job as their pace is quicker than mine!

Until I'm up to running 5k i'm not doing a great deal of other exercise to give my muscles time to rest and repair. i'm paranoid about injuries!

Knowing how important footwear is from last year I got myself fitted at a proper independent tri shop with the gait analysis. Definitely recommended!

Feel like it's now becoming achievable after this morning....
  • kristinwesterfield
    Options
    Week 1 day 3! For those who have been through it already, should week 1 feel pretty easy before you move on?
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Week 1 day 3! For those who have been through it already, should week 1 feel pretty easy before you move on?

Not necessarily... I just made a rule that, challenging or not, as long as I completed the run as written without stopping, I would advance to the next level. You'd be surprised how quickly your body adapts. I have one week left after tomorrow, and while I have just BARELY completed several levels along the way, I haven't had to repeat any weeks so far.