Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So, today had all the making of a bad run. (W6D1) Warmer out than usual, had rained earlier so it was kinda muggy, *that* time of the month, so a little crampy, and still all-over achy from an intense karate class on Tuesday. But, thanks to many of you lovely people in this group, I know that some runs are just gonna suck, and that's okay, so I headed out anyway. And it was kind of funny, cause the one half of my brain was totally whiny; getting upset when I had to stop for the traffic light (haven't had to do that even once in the whole time I've been running), feeling sad when I didn't see my 2 bunny friends I usually see along one particular stretch of my route, and feeling pissy when the guy that was out walking that I was so happy that I'd passed because he came out of his yard mid-way through a walk section and I passed him once the running started and was like "YEAH!!!! I'm not running slower than I walk!!!" but then he must've taken a short-cut, 'cause he came out of a side street a half block ahead of me and I was pissed cause he was CHEATING.....And then the other half of my brain was all zen-like and "this is to be expected, Kelly" and "it's not worth it if it's easy, Kelly", and basically I had a decent run being amused at the whiny part of me this morning. Have a great day everyone!
  • dmsl977
    dmsl977 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I just joined the group a few days ago. Yesterday I started with W1D1. I've signed up for a 5K in September, so I'm trying to start slowly so I can be running by then. :)
  • bmeshael
    bmeshael Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I did W1D2 last night and I was surprised that I didn't feel like I was dying at the end of it. I took the advice on the thread and slowed down a bit and that definitely helped. Does anyone else have a troubles convincing themselves to wait a day before continuing on to the next day in the program? Its not like I am not working out on these days (I am also doing the 30 Day Shred right now and go for 3-5 mile walks).
  • CStellaGo
    CStellaGo Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Completed W5D2 last night and it was a great run! I didn't think there was anyway I could run 8 minutes straight not once but twice! I am really nervous for tomorrow when I hit the road again to do W5D3- 20 minutes straight, are you serious! Eeeekkkk!!!!
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Had a bit of a knee *thing* so I took it easy for a few days...did W7D2 last Tuesday, W7D3 on Saturday, and then just turned around W8D1 in the H E A T :devil: W A V E last night...sheesh...but, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. The weather has really been less than aggreeable for me so last night I just NEEDED to run again and so I sucked it up and did it in the heat...made me feel much better... anyhow...W8D2 possibly tonight...feeling pretty good today...and ready to get crackin on the 10K Trainer...signed up for my first 10K trail run in August :happy:
  • mintedtea
    mintedtea Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    W7D3, doing it a few more times until I'm comfortable with it. So far 25 mins jogging is doable, but rather miserable. Thinking about signing up for a 5k in mid July which should be completely reasonable, but somehow I doubt my abilities. I've been jogging at night to beat the heat, which can be scary but feels much better.
  • kristinwesterfield
    kristinwesterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Finished w2d2. Today was probably the hardest yet! Once I convinced myself to go, I felt like I was just slogging through the whole thing. W2d1 felt like I had good form and was strong to keep going, but today - not so much. Oh well, I did it as written so I guess I can't complain too much! Onward!
  • tls0521
    tls0521 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just finished week 4 day 3 and it was horrible. I have decided to re do week 4. Not ready for week 5 yet. :sad:

When I started I couldn't run for longer than 30 seconds. Now I can make it through the 1min 30second time with no problem and 3min with determinations nod focus. Now to just get to that 5min mark.

How do you breath?? That's my biggest problem, can't seem to catch my breath. :brokenheart:
  • emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Finished w5d1 last night. I'm also running in the late evenings to beat the heat.

tis0521, I'm a newbie as well, but I wonder if you should slow down? My breathing/lungs have always seemed to be what kept me from running in the past. This time, with c25k and the advice I've read on here to slow down, my breathing isn't my limiting factor anymore, it's my legs I notice more. I'm very slow, but I've been able to get through the 5 minute intervals this way.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    re: breathing, I've had the same issue along the way until I did two things:

1) slow down, and
    2) remember to breathe *correctly*!

I may be fortunate in that I played woodwinds through all of school and into college, which helped tremendously, but the basic rule is to direct your breath towards your tummy and not your chest. Deep vs. shallow.

Check this article:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/lung-power?page=single
  • Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I finished W8D3 today, which means I'm officially done!!! One quick question though...my feet started to go numb after 30 minutes. Is this normal?
  • mom2tripsn2
    Options
    I finished W8D3 today, which means I'm officially done!!! One quick question though...my feet started to go numb after 30 minutes. Is this normal?

I honestly don't know if it is or not...but it happens to me too sometimes...just fwiw
  • mom2tripsn2
    Options
    W8D2 last night...will be doing W8D3 tomorrow and then will be an official graduate!! Can't wait to get started on the way to the 10K:happy:
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    W6D2 tonight. At work we had service day and I was bent over clearing brush from a trail for several hours, so I was a bit beat. After doing C25K and my lifting, my knees are pretty sore. I was diagnosed with arthritis in my knees several years ago, but they have held up pretty well so far. I'm still not getting sharp pains like I used to, so that's good. Should I ice them for the soreness?

I'm a bit nervous about the 22 minute run the day after tomorrow, but I *know* I can do it.

For folks who have switched from treadmill to running outside, how far did it set you back? I think I could manage okay if it were flat, but my neighborhood is very hilly. I'd like to transition, though.
  • emy_r
    Options
    I did W5D2 yesterday. Was able to get through the 8 minute intervals fairly well. Tuesday will be my day for W5D3 (today is rest day and Monday is weight day). Nervous but excited as well!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    W7D3, doing it a few more times until I'm comfortable with it. So far 25 mins jogging is doable, but rather miserable. Thinking about signing up for a 5k in mid July which should be completely reasonable, but somehow I doubt my abilities. I've been jogging at night to beat the heat, which can be scary but feels much better.

Great job on getting this far! If you have made it through w7d3, I would move on to week 8, maybe just slow down a bit. You are ready for it!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Just finished week 4 day 3 and it was horrible. I have decided to re do week 4. Not ready for week 5 yet. :sad:

When I started I couldn't run for longer than 30 seconds. Now I can make it through the 1min 30second time with no problem and 3min with determinations nod focus. Now to just get to that 5min mark.

How do you breath?? That's my biggest problem, can't seem to catch my breath. :brokenheart:

Slow down. You should be able to hold a conversation while you are running. If you can't, you need to slow down. Btw, w4d3 is really a big milestone in the program. Congrats on making it this far!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    emy, good look on Tuesday! If you managed the 8 minute intervals well, then you can definitely do it.

Just finished W6D3 and it was one of my best runs yet! I was feeling a little eh around minute 15, but by 22 I felt so good I just kept going. I ran for 32 minutes! I gave myself a long cool down after that. At my pace, that's almost 2.4 miles. I still have a hard time believing I can do this. It's so weird, but mostly it's just awesome.

Despite doing so well today, I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about EVERY run being 25+ minutes from here on out.
  • emy_r
    Options
    emy, good look on Tuesday! If you managed the 8 minute intervals well, then you can definitely do it.

Just finished W6D3 and it was one of my best runs yet! I was feeling a little eh around minute 15, but by 22 I felt so good I just kept going. I ran for 32 minutes! I gave myself a long cool down after that. At my pace, that's almost 2.4 miles. I still have a hard time believing I can do this. It's so weird, but mostly it's just awesome.

Despite doing so well today, I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about EVERY run being 25+ minutes from here on out.

Norah, posts like yours are what made me try this in the first place! Great job on w6d3! I wonder when the nervousness goes away?
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options

I am in complete agreement, but I did a 5K on Saturday and managed. :) Not a great time, but it was also extremely hot outside. I walked a bit of the way. Ended up at 41:02.

I have no real inclination towards timing myself at this point (I mean, I know a 41:02 5K means I did about 13 minute miles), because I'm still getting used to running. Of course, there was also free beer at the end, which was a great motivator... :drinker: A few of my friends who also ran did times more in the 21:00-28:00 range, but they were cheering me across the finish anyway!

I do W7D1 tomorrow. Maybe by the end of this or next week I'll be feeling better about the 25-minute intervals!