Garmin connected to MFP

Options
FromHereOnOut
FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
Suddenly on the dashboard today I got the option to connect to MFP, which I ecstatically accepted. Garmin magically connected without even asking my username or password :huh: , but I had mfp open in another window, so maybe it took from there.

Anyway, I'm very happy even though it's not totally working correctly yet. Right now, it shows "Calories in" as only from the last meal I logged (we'lll call it lunch), which means breakfast isn't accounted for, and it has "Calories out" as "Active calories" (less bmr). I'll be interested to see how all that works.

I don't know why breakfast isn't showing up, unless it's just due to the first time connecting. To be sure, I checked that the timezones match. They do. Anyway, I see lots of changes with Garmin lately and they seem to be working very hard to get things ironed out. It's very exciting.

Anyone else connected yet? Is it working well?

Replies

• FromHereOnOut
    Options
    There are definitely problems. I'm a little surprised they went live already, with it like this.

It only takes the subtotal from my latest meal down the line and ignores everything else above that. This will never work. I can go in my last meal (which I've set up as a "catch all" for things I had throughout the day that didn't fit into my regular times/meals) and put a quick add with my current subtotal and it reflects everything correctly in garmin, but naturally, my mfp is now doubled. Also, there is no sync button between them--you have to disconnect and reconnect.

There's nothing happening on the mfp side of things yet--like garmin doesn't populate the exercise tab.

I can see that this will be really cool when the bugs get worked out--but it's not there yet.
  • marcellinus2121
    marcellinus2121 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes, it's happening!!!!

Tomorrow, I'll walk the dog with the HRM. On Saturday I'll walk the dog without the HRM. Then I'll take a look at the data and check what allows me to eat more.:)

This really made my day!!!
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    THIS IS AWESOME!

Mine shows calories from my breakfast and snack.

I wonder if it add calories when you exercise?

Also it does *kitten* exercise into mfp eventually!

This is a start!! :smile: :tongue: :happy:
  • rscotty2
    rscotty2 Posts: 2
    Options
    My consumed calories for Breakfast, lunch and snacks match exactly. The calorie deduction for exercise is off however. MFP has credited me with 264 while Garmin is a more generous 310. I can live with the delta - I'm just happy that we finally have MFP integration. Hopefully it will be fine tuned over time.
  • marcellinus2121
    Options
    Something strange happend. I had about 300 kcal left to go so I had a glass of white wine. Now I have 600 kcal left. Just saying, I'm confident it will all be just fine.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes it looks like it's "kinda" working. I'll be interested to see how it sends adjustment data to MFP at the end of the day?
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    It is still taking only the subtotal of the bottom-most "meal" from mfp. I put there in one of the lower "meals" a zero-calorie entry and suddenly I've got a whole day's worth of calories to eat. :-(

Maybe it's because I don't use the standard mfp meal labels. ???

rscotty2--do you mean that garmin populated mfp with exercise and they don't match....or do you mean that exercise that you manually logged into mfp doesn't match your calories out in garmin? Mine isn't populating the exercise to mfp and the manually logged mfp exercise pretty much never matches garmin
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options

Maybe it's because I don't use the standard mfp meal labels. ???

I changed my meal labels and things are working now. (yay!)

p.s. - while I was in Settings, I checked to allow negative entries and now it's logging exercise too! (guess I don't have to manually log now, although I like to keep track, might log for my own info anyway)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I just saw it as I went to Sync on Garmin's site...very nice indeed. (wish the other places I connect my Fitbit to, will work with Garmin.)
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    My consumed calories for Breakfast, lunch and snacks match exactly. The calorie deduction for exercise is off however. MFP has credited me with 264 while Garmin is a more generous 310. I can live with the delta - I'm just happy that we finally have MFP integration. Hopefully it will be fine tuned over time.

Now that I've changed some settings and it is working, I see what you mean about the exercise calories.

I'm still trying to make sense of it all. I've made lots of changes in mfp to settings such as meal labels, negative entries, and my goals. I think there will always be a discrepancy between what mfp considers my normal calories burned due to normal activity vs. garmin's so-called bmr. It's about a 54 calorie difference for me, so hopefully it won't make a huge difference. I'm not totally clear why not all the active calories get logged from garmin to mfp exercise, but I'm going to give it a few days to see how things work.
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    End of the day (and after tinkering with some mfp settings), everything works perfectly. The difference in active calories on garmin and the credit you get in mfp exercise is, as far as I can tell, the difference between garmin's so-called "bmr" and mfp's equivalent (basically the normal daily calorie expenditure). They are NOT identical on the two apps, so the difference gets made up by not transferring the difference on a daily basis. So, as I said earlier, there's about a 54 calorie difference in mine for the two apps, and there was also about a 54 calorie difference between garmin's 'active calories' for the day and what actually showed up in mfp exercise. Voila! Everything's working!
  • FromHereOnOut
    Options
    The last problem that I'm having is over at Garmin Connect. I have 6 "meals" set up in mfp. If I don't have at least 4 meals populated with SOMETHING in mfp, it takes the 3rd that I have populated and doubles it. So, in that case, I have to at least add a quick add of zero calories to a 4th "meal", to see it correctly in Garmin Connect. I REALLY hope they fix that, because although I usually do have something logged in at least 4 "meals", on the off chance that I don't, I don't know that I'll remember to make the zero-calorie place-holder. :-/ But as far as I can tell, everything looks great on the mfp side.
  • airangel59
    Options
    Hmm, Not getting my calories in/out despite having my entire day's meal logged on MFP. It says to see today's calorie info, log my food...HUH? Its been logged since last nite and I have just posted my diary as complete. Not sure what the snafu is....anyone else have this happening?
  • marcellinus2121
    Options
    Have you pressed sync? Also, it says calories are synced every five minutes. There might be a delay?
    Or disconnect MFP and pair them together again?
  • airangel59
    Options
    Yup, a few times since.....and still getting same thing. Did sync and then posted and just did again nearly 30 min later.
  • marcellinus2121
    Options
    Something similar happend to me a while ago. I did the whole pairing gain and now it works.
  • airangel59
    Options
    gonna try that..oddly it shows on full page report but not the small square on the dashboard.

not worked for me ...not at this point :noway:
  • ann121212
    ann121212 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Airangel have you changed you meal names? I read earlier that it causes problems with identification of calories consumed.
  • marcellinus2121
    Options
    I have now been out with the dog with the HRM and my FR620 and I've been running for half an hour having only the 620 paired to the HRM. All in all I'm very happy. What I have not tried yet is cycling. Will I have to use the HRM with my vivofit or will it be enough to pair it with the 620? Will the vivofit/MFP understand the calories burned with the 620 only when the vivofit itself doesn't recognize that meny calories? Exciting! However, the weather is so bad today that I'll test it another day.
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    gonna try that..oddly it shows on full page report but not the small square on the dashboard.

not worked for me ...not at this point :noway:

It didn't work for me either. I use the default meal names on MFP. Garmin was able to import my the calories that I have set up in MFP, but nothing else.