Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Tonight I did W2D2 but this time I did it on a treadmill at the gym. It seemed much easier today. I wonder if its because I didn't have to deal with the heat I face outside. I also did it for nearly an hour since my daughter wanted to workout for an hour. Good workout but my calves are quite sore. I went hiking at Chimney Rock yesterday and they have been sore since but now they hurt more. I took some aleve and I'm icing them.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Tonight I am on for D4W1!! Time to get back into this! With not getting it in from when I was sick, and last week with my schedule, I'm about 2 weeks behind from where I wanted to be at this point. Oh well. I still have plenty of time before my first 5K in September.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Finished W6D2 this morning. Started Stronglifts yesterday, so my quads are letting me know that they exist. Really having a blast, despite waking up early to get out and run. Saw my bunny friend this morning, and a gorgeous cardinal. Have a great day, all!
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Ooh kelly I really want to try SL! I've been doing dumbbell lifts for the past few weeks because I was really weak to begin with. I'm still scared of squats, though. Let me know how it goes alternating days like that. I've read conflicting things about whether to do both running and SL on the same day or not.

ang, glad you're able to get back to it and you're feeling better.

christian, I definitely have an easier time on the treadmill. I've only run outside a few times because the combination of heat + allergens is killer for me. When you say you did it for an hour, do you mean you kept up the intervals for that long? If so, that's awesome. I really doubt I could have done that at week 2!

nicca, congrats on completing the 5k!!! I've been hesitant to actually sign up for one but I need to get over it. You might have just inspired me :)

emy, that means a lot :) I wish I knew when the nervousness went away! I think as long as it doesn't stop us from trying, there's nothing wrong with a little nervousness. It can even be strangely motivating...
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Did W8D3 on Saturday...I'm official now!! Then I sorta skipped a rest day and did W9D1 Saturday, on my way to the 10K, because I was just excited to get started with it :happy: 4x 10 minute runs was more of a challenge then I thought it would be...but it felt great!! I am signed up for a 10K in August and I think I'm going to be doing another 5K (an electric run) next month as well. Is there a 10K forum that people post on or should I just keep checking in here? I really like the check ins...it's encouraging to see everyone working so hard :happy:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Is there a 10K forum that people post on or should I just keep checking in here?

There you go: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1278642-daily-check-in-thread-10k-version

Not as active as here but still interesting.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    nicca, congrats on completing the 5k!!! I've been hesitant to actually sign up for one but I need to get over it. You might have just inspired me :)

Aw, thank you! They really are fun, and pretty casual, from what I've found. Ours had volunteers with kids waving us along and cheering, and there was even one guy dancing with flags and making up songs for us as we passed. lol!

There were some people walking, some running slowly (me), some running for speed. It didn't matter what you did so long as you were doing it, which is a great way to start "really" running, I think.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I did it!!!! W4D1 completed!!! I wasn't sure about the 5 minute run, but I did it without a problem. I actually have a little over a 10 minute walk to the Commons where I do my run. I decided to test to see if I could do a 5 minute run on the way there. I run both Run Keeper and my C25K app. (I use Run Keeper to track my distance, pace and calories). After Run Keeper told me I was at 5 minutes, I started running and I ran for 5 minutes (minus the light) It felt good!!!!

Question: Does anyone on hot summer days, even on short runs (less then an hour) take water with them? I was so thirsty for something to drink part way through. I was desperate for some when I get home and had to be careful not to guzzle it down, as I knew that wouldn't be good.
  • nicca_jb
    nicca_jb Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    W7D1 complete... but man, I think I about died from heat. I had to cut it short, so I'll do it again.

ang, way to go!! I actually started out thinking I would take water with me today, then turned around because it was very cumbersome. My plan next time is to go out either very early or late in the evening - today was a 5:30 run and probably very poorly timed (I also have the blessing/curse of very fair skin, so even when it's not blazing sun I tend to burn).
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Ooh kelly I really want to try SL! I've been doing dumbbell lifts for the past few weeks because I was really weak to begin with. I'm still scared of squats, though. Let me know how it goes alternating days like that. I've read conflicting things about whether to do both running and SL on the same day or not.

ang, glad you're able to get back to it and you're feeling better.

christian, I definitely have an easier time on the treadmill. I've only run outside a few times because the combination of heat + allergens is killer for me. When you say you did it for an hour, do you mean you kept up the intervals for that long? If so, that's awesome. I really doubt I could have done that at week 2!

emy, that means a lot :) I wish I knew when the nervousness went away! I think as long as it doesn't stop us from trying, there's nothing wrong with a little nervousness. It can even be strangely motivating...

I also life, although I'm doing All Pro. I did SL for a little while but returned to AP. I have been alternating with this. If I were to do both on the same day I would left first.

I kept up the intervals for 45 minutes, then walked for 5 minutes and ran for 3 and then walked the last few minutes. I enjoyed it.
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I did w4d1 today. I did it a couple of weeks ago and tweaked my knee. I re-did week 2 and 3 just to let my knee heal and get my body used to running more before trying it again. This time it went great, and my knee held up well.

I always end up running around noon, and it's so hot. I've got to start going in the morning or evening.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I started the c25k and had to stop because everything just hurt. So, I finally got some new running shoes and did Wk1 Day1 yesterday with little pain! Excited to keep going.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Hi everyone! First-timer here :flowerforyou:

I've been wanting to get into running for a while, but was always intimidated because I was never very athletic and always hated running growing up. About two years ago I signed up for a beginner running class at my uni gym, where the very first day they had us running 20 minutes and doing hills. Needless to say, I didn't last very long; I think I made it 4 or 5 classes before I pulled muscle and decided I would never be a runner and never went back. So I decided to just stick with my lifting and keep wishing I was a natural runner....

But today I finally got out there and did W1D1 - and I made it all the way through and it felt great! I really think I can stick with it this time, and I'm really looking forward to being able to run a 5k someday :smile:
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!!
    I'm jumping right in here and joining the bandwagon or trying to anyways :) I have ran a few 5k's over the last few months but need to tweak my running as I have been foolish and not done my homework. I had been increasing my run times slowly on my own but not taking enough of a rest time. I was up to running for 3 minutes and walking for 1 minute but couldn't get above that. After some reading etc on here I now see that my biggest downfall is probably the lack of rest time in between. SO I plan on changing that up. I look forward to reading and sharing and getting motivation form you all on this journey we all have started, as well as hopefully provide some motivation as well!
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone new to the group, this morning I finished week 5 day 3 the one with the 20 minute run. I'm amazed and proud of myself for doing something I never thought I'd be able to do - which is run. One step closer to my goal :)
  • emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone new to the group, this morning I finished week 5 day 3 the one with the 20 minute run. I'm amazed and proud of myself for doing something I never thought I'd be able to do - which is run. One step closer to my goal :)

I'm doing w5d3 this evening! I hope I'm as successful as you are with it. Congratulations!
  • wheelinqueen
    wheelinqueen Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I did W5D3 this morning. It wasn't too bad. I felt ready for it. I'm a little sore now so I plan to do a bit of stretching tonight...but I can't wait until W6 :noway:
  • kristinwesterfield
    kristinwesterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Did week 3 day 1 today! I was really nervous about the 3 minute runs because the 1.5 minute runs weren't easy yet, but I actually adjusted pretty quickly! I think with the 3 minute runs I don't spend as much time counting down and thinking about it. Glad I went on to week 3!
  • emy_r
    Options
    I did W5D3 this morning. It wasn't too bad. I felt ready for it. I'm a little sore now so I plan to do a bit of stretching tonight...but I can't wait until W6 :noway:

I just did W5D3 last night so we are in the same place on the program! I was ready for it too. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but my husband went with me so that helped me keep me from checking the time every few minutes! I'm looking forward to W6 as well. I will do w6d1 tomorrow.
  • emy_r
    Options
    Did week 3 day 1 today! I was really nervous about the 3 minute runs because the 1.5 minute runs weren't easy yet, but I actually adjusted pretty quickly! I think with the 3 minute runs I don't spend as much time counting down and thinking about it. Glad I went on to week 3!

I noticed this as well when I went from 3 to 5 minute runs. The 3 minute runs had seemed really tough but then the next week when I added the 5 minute runs, the 3 minutes seemed pretty easy.