Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Just finished W3D3! Proud of myself????! I am an old woman!! And pretty dang sedentary.
  • Stiang
    Stiang Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I ran it! I ran the whole 5K! Slower than a couple of walkers....but I ran it!
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    W4D2 completed!!! Despite the hot weather (it's 28C right now which is about 85F) I still went out. As I was running around the Commons I realized I was the only one out there running! I always encounter other runners and I wasn't tonight. I started thinking I was the only idiot to go out there and run. Then I had someone run past me. Good. I wasn't the only runner out there!
  • marinadanielle
    marinadanielle Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds like everyone is doing a really amazing job! :drinker:

Yesterday I allllmost made it through W4D1. I made it through the 3 minute, 5 minute, 3 minute intervals, and mentally told myself I could quit the last 5 minute if it got too tough. Once I started it though, I really wanted to push through and just finish the interval so that I could consider W4D1 completed! But sometimes my app freezes and just keeps me running forever, so I made the mistake of checking the time and seeing I still had 1:09 left. For some reason I just kinda gave up and start walking until about 0:24 seconds left. I wish I hadn't looked! I'm proud of myself for going from 9 minutes to 15, but I should've just pushed through those 45 seconds. Just makes me even more determined to complete it tomorrow since I know I can do it now!
  • Mustardpot1
    Mustardpot1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just done W1D1 and managed it all! First time running since I was about 11 many moons ago! So pleased with myself!
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    W1D3 today - after I was done I felt like I could do way more and actually enjoy it, so that's encouraging :) I may be a runner yet!
  • emy_r
    emy_r Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Finished w6d2 last night. Going to do w6d3 on Tuesday. Nervous about 22 minutes straight but I think I'm ready!
  • Jdoster06
    Jdoster06 Posts: 55
    Options
    Finished week one on Friday, shins hurt pretty good at the end of it.. Been icing and look forward to start week 2 tomorrow.. Have basketball tonight otherwise I would have went today.. Was really itching to go..
  • NorahCait
    NorahCait Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Week 7 is doooone. The long runs don't seem to be getting any easier, but maybe it's just because I was kind of dehydrated this morning.

I'm starting to think about what I want to do once I finish. I'm not sure if I want to start a 5k to 10k program right away or if I want to focus on trying to get a little faster by just continuing to run 30 minutes at a time. I worry that I won't get any faster if I just increase my time because I haven't increased my speed since week 3. Thoughts?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I spent a month or so just focusing on 5km, there are some NHS C25K+ podcasts that I used. I then went onto a 10K plan and found that walk breaks really didn't agree with me by then, so ended up on a 10K improvement plan instead.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Week 7 is doooone. The long runs don't seem to be getting any easier, but maybe it's just because I was kind of dehydrated this morning.

I'm starting to think about what I want to do once I finish. I'm not sure if I want to start a 5k to 10k program right away or if I want to focus on trying to get a little faster by just continuing to run 30 minutes at a time. I worry that I won't get any faster if I just increase my time because I haven't increased my speed since week 3. Thoughts?

I'd stabilise your runs for a few weeks, ie jsut run 30min/5k 3 times a week for 3-4 weeks, during that time, look into the various 5-10k plans.
    Seriously don't worry about speed. It will come with time as you build your base.

I finished C25K several months ago, with a 5k time of around 33-35 minutes on my home loop. A month of two of consistent running after that, I broke 30min, and now after going through the B210K program I'm getting a 27min 5k on a hillier loop as part of my 10k run.
  • ajones1965
    ajones1965 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 3 day 1 of the zenlabs program and I found that the 3 minute runs weren't noticeably harder than all the stopping and starting with the 90 second ones. I did run slow but I found I just needed to get my mind in gear, the legs and the breathing didn't hurt any more than previously and it was less tiring afterwards...am I weird, is this normal?
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday! Finished W7D1 this morning, and I'm most excited about finding decent underwear that doesn't move when I run (or do 30 min of kicking drills in Tang Soo Do). Mind you, they look like they could fit my 5.5 year old (had to warn my husband that they were, mine, not the 5 year olds' and he laughed...they're that small, but stretchy!) but they were super comfy and didn't move at all. C9 from Target (buy one, get one 1/2 half off now). Happy running everyone!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I've just finished week 3 day 1 of the zenlabs program and I found that the 3 minute runs weren't noticeably harder than all the stopping and starting with the 90 second ones. I did run slow but I found I just needed to get my mind in gear, the legs and the breathing didn't hurt any more than previously and it was less tiring afterwards...am I weird, is this normal?

I think that's pretty normal. The way the program is set up, you are ready for the next step (whether you think you are or not!) Congrats on your progress!
    Happy Monday! Finished W7D1 this morning, and I'm most excited about finding decent underwear that doesn't move when I run (or do 30 min of kicking drills in Tang Soo Do). Mind you, they look like they could fit my 5.5 year old (had to warn my husband that they were, mine, not the 5 year olds' and he laughed...they're that small, but stretchy!) but they were super comfy and didn't move at all. C9 from Target (buy one, get one 1/2 half off now). Happy running everyone!

I literally LOL'd at this! It wouldn't be so funny if I didn't need to get underwear for the same reason!

I did Tang Soo Do for 8 years and really miss it.
  • kellypence
    kellypence Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    "I did Tang Soo Do for 8 years and really miss it." (sorry, haven't learned how to use the quote function yet...)

That's what started me on my path to becoming a runner. We run 1 mile before each class (okay, they run a 10 minute mile, I run for those 10 minutes now, but not as fast), and there's nothing like a couple 3rd and 4th degree black belts chasing you around the studio for a little motivation...
  • Jdoster06
    Jdoster06 Posts: 55
    Options
    Finished week 2 day 1 today. Was a little nervous about doing it due to some slight pain in my shins prior and played a lot of basketball the night before, but I handled it pretty well.. Went 2.46 miles in the 31 minutes
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    W4D3 done!!!! It's getting so much easier on those 5 min runs. I've learned to pace myself a lot easier. Also my back doesn't bother me any more when I am done. The summer weather has finally arrived and I'm seeing less and less runners when I am out in the evening. Saturday I saw one person. Today I saw two. Yes it was a feel like temperature of 31C but there is a beautiful breeze blowing!

Question - This only applies to any other person out there who is signal and runs in the evening. What do you do about supper? I have something very very light (yogurt frozen bar tonight) before going out and have supper when I get back. However, it's usually after 7:30 before I get back, making it after 8 before I eat supper. I don't particularly like eating that late. It takes longer as well since I am the one that has to cook it! What do you do if you need to cook supper and run in the evening.
  • EmilyTabawhat
    Options
    Question - This only applies to any other person out there who is signal and runs in the evening. What do you do about supper? I have something very very light (yogurt frozen bar tonight) before going out and have supper when I get back. However, it's usually after 7:30 before I get back, making it after 8 before I eat supper. I don't particularly like eating that late. It takes longer as well since I am the one that has to cook it! What do you do if you need to cook supper and run in the evening.

Hi! I am in the exact same boat as you. Im on W7D1, and I usually eat dinner right when I get home from work (walk through the door at 6-6:30 and jump in the kitchen, since I haven't had a "large meal" since 12:30-1:00PM. I have small snacks throughout the afternoon to keep my metabolism going and keep the hunger pains at bay, but by 6:30 I am ready to eat a real dinner!

I usually wait a minimum of an hour after my last bite of dinner and then I do my run... and I havent had any issues. It actually works out nicely because I wait for it to cool off in the evenings... i tend to procrastinate until the last few minutes anyways, so right before sunset works well for me. Then when I get back, I treat myself to an after dinner desert (chocolate dipped banana bites) and I feel like I've actually earned it!
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Did W4D1 this morning.i usually only drink water when I get up and eat breakfast afterward. I did get a little nauseous toward the end but I did not throw up. Should I eat before I go? I DO NOT want to throw up at the park! That is why I don't eat before I go!
  • michielyn
    michielyn Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't checked in for awhile, but I finishes W6D2 today. Which means no more walking intervals. :-D