July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options

Replies

• CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Skipped my workout yesterday out of exhaustion so I did Workout B today. Overslept and I really didn't feel like doing anything, so in the interest of time I did 3x5 instead, so at least I got something in.

Squat 3x5x70
    OHP 3x5x50
    DL1x2x125
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    WRT calluses - I love them! So proud of my weightlifting calluses.

My week was really off due to work, tattoos and.... irresponsible behavior. Its been a challenge to get my runs in with these huge tattoos on my arm. I realized an hour of running was NOT helping the crook of my elbow heal, so I went for a couple long walks instead so my arm would be extended. Sigh. Things I did not think about when scheduling a sleeve this summer.

Still, I went to a strongman/powerlifting gym on Thursday which was really fun. The strongman "lifts" made me really sore for the first time in forever. Flipping tires is apparently a great bicep workout.

All my SL stuff is at a frustrating deload

SL yesterday
    squats 185 5x5
    OHP 85 5x5
    DL 215 1x5

Really working on the minutia of my deadlift form to try to prevent the weird back pain I was getting. Met with a trainer at the gym who thinks is a weakness issue in my upper back and he is going to help me strengthen the area.... we'll see. He gave me some things to think about with glute/hip activation on the 2nd half of the lift and that seems to have helped a lot. No pain at all after these, though its a light weight for me.

Now that we have our gym all set up at home I think I am going to join this gym and go once or twice a week to meet folks, work with the trainer, and use the DL platform.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Yesterdays workout A :

Squats: warm up, 5x5 @ 62.5kg
    BP: warm up, 5x5 @ 33kg
    Rows: sucked, I deloaded to 40kg, still : 5/5/5/4/4
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    So, less accessories today because I already did some yard work and have a lot more to go, we have 4 trees to dig up and move and 1 to just dig up and get rid of. I don't like the privacy trees I got as the deer ate them so they aren't getting to grow enough (buck walk the line behind our property which is filled with trees in the neighborhood. So, for the one empty spot bought some evergreens, going to move the hybrid willows to some other spot in the yard (probably front on the side where deer don't really go). Also have other yard work, will take some time, but my husband did a ton yesterday so it is Chris and I today (Chris is my son).

Workout A (Sun)

overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 80

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 55

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 65

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 135

squats 5 X 5 - 135
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Unbreakable badass Conquer Phase: COMPLETE! Although I have to say I wasn't feeling super today. Neck is stiff and sore from tweaking it on friday, still. I've been going to bed way too late. Deload week is going to be great (and this time I'm REALLY going to deload...)

Clean + Hang Clean x 2 EMOTM for 6 @ 85
    - only missed 1 rep. It went up but it was more of a muscle clean than anything.

Push Jerk
    95x3
    97.5x3
    100x3
    102.5x2

superset with good morning
    85x8
    90x8
    95x6
    100x6

missed the last rep of the push jerk (I got overconfident there for a bit. Oops?) It's a little more violent than an OHP miss. I made the mistake of trying to catch it instead of letting it drop. Bopped my lip and shoulder's not very happy. Lesson learned

Did some hollow hang, plate pinches, bar only power cleans and rear delt raises, went home and to the track and knocked myself out with

20 min AMRAP
    350m run
    400 rope jumps [insert endless cussing here]
    1 min all out burpees

last time around I'd managed 2 rounds and 164 jumps with 22 burpees
    this time I did 2 rounds and 70 jumps, but 24 burpees.

Calling it even. IDECA (I don,t even care anymore)

Taking a week completely off of jumping rope. *nods*
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Super workout today. Heh. It's amazing what one can lift when eating like it's shark week and taking exxxtennnded rest periods - seems like I'm barely making it to the gym twice a week...

Bench
    Misc warm ups then 95x5x5
    This was fun, and my first time hitting 5x5 at this weight

Squats
    Warmed up at: 45, 95, 135, 155, 175, 185
    Work: 205@3x3, then 155@5x2, then topped it with 95 for 10 & a narrow stance. Somewhere in there I threw in a DL at 155x5 while helping my son get his stuff set up.

Then accessory stuff for volume and whatever:
    OHP @45x2x10
    Lying Tricep ext 40x3x10
    DB Bicep curl 20x3x10
    Cable Crunch 50x3x10
    Back Ext, weighted 25x3x10

Tip of the day: keep that weight driving through the heels! I recently bombed out of some heavy squats because I let the weight get out in front of me -- today as I fatigued, I could feel that tendency to rock forward and focused on keeping it back & huzzah!

Also, I'm totally not an expert in anything at all really... but I'm wondering for those that observe that hips are coming up too quickly while squatting.... perhaps heel drive is a factor...? <shrug> dunno. I love lifting because it's a non stop journey of self discovery...
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Workout B today

Squats 5x5 @10kg - form still poor but decided to add some weight anyway
    OHP 5x5 @15kg - close to using the proper bar
    Deadlift 1x5 @45kg - hoping form was ok
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    so much happy lifting up in here. nice krokador!

Unfortunately didn't kick my butt in gear and only lifted once last weekend, but I did go for a nice long walk today and went canoeing for about 40 minutes on a small lake. I even have the sunburn to show for it!! Back to it tomorrow afternoon, especially after the wine filled 4th of july.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    So this week is going to be crazy, between school (group projects blahhhhhhhhhhh), camping and getting ready to go back to work (double blahhhhh), then to add on my hot water tank exploding (triple blahhhhh) I figured I should get my lifting in when I can so I ran on Saturday (7k in just over 50 min) and then did workout b tonight (pizza fueled awesome sauce time!!!).

squat 165lbs 3x5 this is where I got stuck last time so huzzah
    ohp 55lbs 3x5 I am really missing fractionals
    DL 175 1x6 I got destracted and did one extra just incase, then my hubby told me he heard it hit 6 times woops

Accessories
    SLDL 3x10 105lbs
    glute bridges 3x10 105 lbs
    I am trying to get these two up to 135 so I can leave the big girl plates on from my DL's

I have had just a little too much coffee and stress. The result is crazy crazy crazy, in case you didn't notice.... :D
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Tip of the day: keep that weight driving through the heels! I recently bombed out of some heavy squats because I let the weight get out in front of me -- today as I fatigued, I could feel that tendency to rock forward and focused on keeping it back & huzzah!

Also, I'm totally not an expert in anything at all really... but I'm wondering for those that observe that hips are coming up too quickly while squatting.... perhaps heel drive is a factor...? <shrug> dunno. I love lifting because it's a non stop journey of self discovery...

Thank you for the tip of the day! This has been exactly my problem the last two squat session where I start to feel the fatigue hit on the last rep or two and then that little forward rock comes in. I think I'm subconsciously doing it because in some weird way it feels like it helps protect my back and keeps me out of doing a good morning movement. Either way, I'm not adding weight until I get all of my sets successfully without the lean creeping in.

Yesterday I did workout B:
    squats - 5,5,3 at 145 pounds. I could have finished those last two but I felt the lean and kinda bailed... Maybe my core is weaker than I thought too, time to throw more accessories in I guess.
    OHP - 4,4,4 at 80 pounds. I think my last deload actually worked and I was feeling strong on my first attempt at this weight (errr, or maybe it was a result of my beer-filled 4th of July???).
    DL - 1x5 at 185 pounds. ****e, this is getting heavy so I'm only increasing by 5 pounds instead of 10 on these now. On the upside I haven't had any grip issues yet so still using a straight grip and pretty happy about that.

Then did some various accessory stuff and finished off with a couple of miles of sprint intervals. My running is improving and I don't know if it's from the lifting or doing more interval work, but I'll take it.

Tonight I did an Insanity workout and my shoulders were on fire during all the push-up stuff, probably from those darn OHPs. I find that my arms and upper body don't recover as fast as my legs after a lifting session.

@krok - Dayum girl on 24 burpees in a minute!
    @llama - great job on those squats and DLs.
    @hwillmott - hope you enjoyed your wine-filled 4th.
    @liza - hope you post pics of your sleeve when it's done. I like them but I'm too chicken...
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Did my first full-on 5x5 workout at home yesterday!!! Since the floor-to-ceiling height in our basement is kinda low, I can't do standing OHP inside the power rack (when I would do it standing outside the rack there's about a half inch between the beams in the ceiling and the bar), but I figure having to do seated OHP is better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than paying for a gym membership and subsequently fighting for barbells with the bros.

Squats - 5x5 @ 150lbs
    Seated OHP - 5x5 @ 60lbs
    Deadlifts - 1x5 @ 165lbs

Man, deadlifts kicked my butt. Warm up reps totally zapped my energy!
  • mlanders22
    mlanders22 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I did a few SL sessions over the long holiday weekend, but my phone was out of commission so I didn't track.
    Injured my foot on Saturday night and still can't really put weight on it so I'll be forced to take a few days off.
    Trying to balance lifting with training for my sprint tri is starting to wear on me a bit. I did a long bike ride on Thursday (22 miles) and then tried to lift on Friday, and couldn't manage much and my form was bad.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Wow you ladies have been rocking it this weekend!!

@lizafava2: yay for sleeves!!!!! I really really really want a sleeve.. SOON. What are you getting?? :) The gym you're joining seems like a ton of fun.
    @krokador .. wow, just wow. You amaze me!!
    @llamapants86 yikes for the water tank :noway:
    @katro darn I can't look at your pictures from work but i'll be sure to check tonight from home!

Today is workout A.... I had a bunch of fails last time so I was looking forward to see how I would do. Plus I had a headache :(
    Goblet squats 5x5 with 30lbs dumbell - yikes its getting hard to hold lol
    Bench press repeat 70lbs - 4-3-3-3-3.. OMG. that was horrible. again. haha! Time to deload!
    Row repeat 75lbs - 5x5 I was pretty impressed, I failed horribly last time too. it was hard but not impossible this time. BTW, the bar hits me at top of rib cage kinda level.. maybe an inch under the boobs.. is that alright? or should it hit at the nipples?? (just to continue the nipple giggles ;) hee hee!!)

This week will be a very bad 1 time only workout. We're going to the zoo with the kids (@krok I'll wave hi to you from Granby!!! hee hee)

Tomorrow i'll still go in the gym and do triceps/chest maybe I need a few accessories to help with bench press!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @gen I do underboob rows. Lol
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Gooosh today was hard.
    Did workout B today

squats: warm up, 5x5 @ 65kg / 143lbs
    OHP: warm up, 5x5 @ 31kg / 68lbs
    DL: warn up, 1x2 @ 85kg / 187lbs (my back hurt after 2 reps so I stopped, because I didn't want to risk a worse injury. Now, 30min later everything feels normal, so I think I just moved badly) - 85kg again next time it is!
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    @suremeansyes LOL thanks for sharing!
    @JuliRamone wow that's impressive weights!! Keep going!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @Gen2703 It was actually 24 burpees in 2 minutes (2 all out minutes)! And I think I hit just below my chest with the rows? And darn, I haven't been to the Granby zoo since I was a wee kid! Hope you guys have fun! (And nice weather)

@katro Awesome that you finally have your home power rack! And seated OHP really isn't bad. In fact, it actually prevents you from cheating with the hips ;P

So today was my first non-caffeine powered workout in a long while. I think since the xmas holidays. Start of deload week means i get to do bench press so I was fairly excited, not to mention doing it 5/3/1 style (week of 3) meant I was shooting for a PR!

Bench Press
    90x3
    100x3
    115x7 (previous best at this weight was 3!)
    95x12 - decided to throw in a backoff set

Pendlay Row
    85x3
    95x3
    105x5

still hit a PR but I was already running out of gas at that point. Also was still sore from the cleans yesterday a bit so meh, i'll take it!

DB Incline Press superset with chest supported rows @ 30lbs 3 sets of 10/12

EZ bar skullcrushers, close grip bench press and curls @ 30 lbs x 15/15/12 with an in-between of box jumps at 20' 5/8/10

I hadn't done any "arm" work in a while so that was kinda nice. Planning on only hitting the gym 2 more times this week (pause squats and deadlift and a circuit/complex day probably) and running some. But there will also be lots of sleeping.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    ...But there will also be lots of sleeping.

I like that part of your post the most! :smile:
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday ladies! My lifting has been non-existent, so I'm repeating my "1" week of Wendlers this week, starting tonight with squats.

I did go for a nice scramble yesterday, 4 hour round trip, 2 hours up and 2 hours down. I went with a friend who has a worse fear of heights than I do, and she did pretty well, we were pretty slow on the way down, just being careful.

I also giggle at the nipples :bigsmile: