July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    It felt that way for a long time for me too, but I kept working at it and making form tweaks seemed like every workout. Then all of a sudden one day it all came together and now rows are awesome.

errrr . . . how many workouts did that take? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i wanna get to that day. i'd like to start a calendar countdown or something.

this was encouraging though. i think squats made sense to me pretty much right away, i actually like ohp, bench is clouded by all my micromanaging worries to protect my shoulder, so i'm not really phased by not liking it much. and deadlift DOES make sense to me, i just have to figure out how to do it correctly myself. but rows are just a kind of flailing chaos to me. it's such an awkward pose and it all feels so counter-intuitive, even when i'm probably doing it right i don't feel like i'm doing it right. even when other people are doing it right they don't look to me like they're doing it right.

and . . . yeah. in a gym full of guys who aren't interested in me anyway and are perfectly civilized, i still don't feel all that at-ease with that pose. it's like i should be wearing a thong bikini and leaning the front end of me on a harley. could care less about squats and the whole hip-thrust lockout move for some reason, but standing around with my bum higher than the rest of me for the space of 5 reps just doesn't make me feel happy somehow.

i'd love to like them though. and i'm definitely motivated to do them, because i suddenly randomly appointed 'get a strong back' to the top of my list of things-keeping-me-entertained-atm.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    errrr . . . how many workouts did that take? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: i wanna get to that day. i'd like to start a calendar countdown or something.

Yeah, I want to know this, too! I think I'm going to deload a lot and make myself do rows every workout. I feel better knowing I'm not along in my loathing.

I just got back from the gym and am super psyched:

Squats -- 5x5 @ 80 -- repeated

OHP -- 5x5 @ 45

and

Dead lift -- 155 lb. 1x3!!

I didn't get the 5 but I'm happy with 3 since this is just a couple pounds lower than what I weigh!

I need to find out if my gym allows chalk. I think I might have been able to do at least one more dead lift but the bar was really biting into my palm. I have gloves but don't like them much for heavy lifts. I guess I need to go out and rub my girly soft palms on concrete or something to toughen them up.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Yeah, I want to know this, too! I think I'm going to deload a lot and make myself do rows every workout. I feel better knowing I'm not along in my loathing.

Okay, if you really want to know, here goes...**runs off to check log sheets**. It took about 2 months until it clicked and they started to feel right. Up until then I was stuck going back and forth between 85 and 90 pounds, and now a month later I'm up to 110. It doesn't seem like a mechanically complex lift, but once everything's working together they definitely get better! And yeah, watched my fair share of online videos trying to figure this one out.
  • Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share...
    Deadlifted 83.2kg today!
    Feeling rather chuffed!
    Have a good weekend :)
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am new and well might as well start checking in on where I am. Everyone is doing so well, it's great to see. I am on Week 2 of SL5x5 using guidance from Mehdi's website. It has been really useful. Here is where I am currently:
    Squat 100lb
    OP 40
    Deadlift 80
    BP 40
    BR 40 (but it feels like i am doing it wrong/ bad form). Has anyone on here worked through this issue?
    Thanks!

try this video...it's Pendlay shownig us how...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg

I watch it all the time as my form has a tendancy to break down after 120lbs...
    Thanks. I notice the same thing on the last segment of this this video that I'm feeling- after a few reps I don't stay (as) parellel with upper body. I think I just need to lower weight until I can get through 5x5 without that.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It's a red-letter day for me, because...drumroll, please!....I finally completed 5x5 OHP at 55 lbs!! The best I have been able to do previously at 55 lbs is 4/5/4/5/4, and I've been at this for almost 4 months. Super stoked! :drinker:

So the rest of my workout, Workout B today:

Squats 5x5 110 lbs
    OHP 5x5 55 lbs
    Deadlift 2x5 65 lbs

I also did some crunches on the stability ball, and about 20 minutes on the recumbent bike.

I'm supposed to run 12 miles on Sunday as part of my half marathon training plan, but will be in Denver, and I am not at all sure how running at that elevation is going to feel.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Congrats to Padzster on the awesome DL and to coltsgirl on getting through the OHP plateau! :) Two of my favorite lifts.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was Day 2 of Cycle 1 of Wendler's 5/3/1.

OHP - Warmup + 5x50lbs, 5x55lbs, 10x60lbs
    DL - Warmup + 5x97.5lbs, 5x112.5lbs, 10x127.5lbs
    Accessories: Good Mornings 3x10 @ 45lbs, Hanging Knee Raises 3x10, Upright Rows 3x10 @ 45lbs, Bench Dips 2x10, 1x15 w/ 25lb plate on lap, Assisted Pull Ups 2x8, 1x10, Plyo Squats 3x10.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    ^^Lots of awesome progress going on in here!!

Today was workout B for me.

Squats: Warmup then 140lbs 5x5. These felt easier than 135lbs did on Wednesday. I think my booty muscles are finally getting with the program. As the weights increase, it's taking me longer to get up and down on each rep.. and as a result, after a few reps of focusing on my breathing, I start to feel light headed from lack of air from holding my breath for too long. Need to speed it up!
    OHP: Warmup then 65lbs 3x5, 1x4 (DANG IT!), 1x5.
    Deadlift: 155lbs 1x5. I only add 5# per workout B now for deadlifts. I made some quick progression with adding 10lbs at a time, until I reached 175/185lbs and stalled. Not my grip either that's the problem, it was just too heavy. The deload has been good.

I have just completed 10 weeks of SL!!! I am beginning to like all of the lifts except rows. Totally hate rows. Something with my form is still massively wrong. Going to watch a bunch more form videos over the weekend. On Monday if they still suck, I'll have someone video me doing them and post them in the form check thread for help.

And I'm sure he's not in here reading comments, but a big shoutout to SideSteel for taking a look at my diary earlier this week when I was struggling with feeling like I needed to eat more calories in order to fuel lifting vs. wanting to keep eating at a deficit because I still have ~40lbs to lose so it's not like I'm really close to goal yet. He suggested that I cut out snacks between meals and eat more calories at each meal, and to also have a piece of fruit before lifting to help with energy. Today is day 3 of no snacks between meals (and my diary is open - 830 cals for breakfast, 600 for lunch, and 700 for dinner with cals left for a glass of wine later if I want to. I feel less hungry than I did when I had 3 meals plus 2 snacks a day... and this morning I had a banana before lifting (normally I had nothing except water and preworkout)... and I feel better. Though today I deadlifted and feel like I could eat a whole house... and I still have to wait an hour til lunchtime lol. But I feel like I am making progress!!!

Have a great weekend everyone! I haven't taken 2 days in a row off of lifting since late June (scheduling issues after vacation), so I will be taking a much needed 2 days off this weekend.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    Leg curl - 5x6 40#, leg ext - 5x6 30#, box squats - 5x12 BW, dumbbell shoulder press - 5x8 10#, DL - 1x5 95#.

I know none of this is impressive, but I also know that when I started walking 18 months ago, a 30min mile wasn't impressive either. But now I can go 3-4 miles @ 4mph. It's all about consistency, pushing a little bit more every time. So just give me time. I will get there.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Squats: Warmup then 140lbs 5x5. These felt easier than 135lbs did on Wednesday. I think my booty muscles are finally getting with the program. As the weights increase, it's taking me longer to get up and down on each rep.. and as a result, after a few reps of focusing on my breathing, I start to feel light headed from lack of air from holding my breath for too long. Need to speed it up!

YES! I noticed the same thing myself. 5 reps is a lot to get through once I reached about 130-140ish. DEF taking longer on the down and up once I get to that weight. lol
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    I know none of this is impressive...

Don't ever feel that way around here! No one is judging you or what you can lift. The fact that you are lifting is impressive on it's own, it can be intimidating getting into what was (and still basically is) a male dominated area.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    Workout A today

Squats: 5x5x85 - still feeling like I'm just rolling right along, but I'm going to repeat this weight next time to try and get a little lower (I was just hitting parallel today)
    Bench 5/5/4/4/3 x 75
    Row 4/3 65 - my elbow started locking up as it sometime does so I decided to call it a day
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Though today I deadlifted and feel like I could eat a whole house...

lol! dl does that to me too. i've started to escape from the gym at the end of my formal workout, just to huddle round the corner somewhere and scarf down trail mix. then i go back and do all my rolling/stretching.

it's too soon to know whether this is going to make any difference, but i read something about glycogen replenishment and timing for food afterwards, and i'm checking out the idea. if i wait until i've stretched/rolled AND ridden home AND assembled some kind of dinner from scratch, that's a few hours.

i've also discovered that if i do my workout with any kind of seriousness, i could quite happily take a nap right there on their yoga mats. only thing that stops me is knowing i'll probably snore/drool/fart and never be able to show my face there again. but i'm usually the person yawning her head off while trying to whatever still needs to be done.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Though today I deadlifted and feel like I could eat a whole house...

i've also discovered that if i do my workout with any kind of seriousness, i could quite happily take a nap right there on their yoga mats. only thing that stops me is knowing i'll probably snore/drool/fart and never be able to show my face there again. but i'm usually the person yawning her head off while trying to whatever still needs to be done.

Lol I am fairly sure I've worn slightly see-through pants to the gym (accidentally), grunted, made weird noises, possibly farted, made loud noises when I put weights back down, etc etc etc. I think it gives me some street cred. :smokin:
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options

Lol I am fairly sure I've worn slightly see-through pants to the gym (accidentally), grunted, made weird noises, possibly farted, made loud noises when I put weights back down, etc etc etc. I think it gives me some street cred. :smokin:

Crop dusting. No one will ever know it's you as long as you pace around during your rests between sets! :laugh:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Crop dusting. No one will ever know it's you as long as you pace around during your rests between sets! :laugh:

i'm just heading out to do my daily grunt now. just hope i can hold off the giggle attacks in the midst of a rep.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    i'm just heading out to do my daily grunt now. just hope i can hold off the giggle attacks in the midst of a rep.

i managed. go me. workout a.

i'm rebooting my mindset a bit. trying to pick weights that feel doable in a 'good' way . . . not 'doable' in that macho work ethic style of never-mind-if-it-hurts. i think my new motto is: just because you CAN do 5x5 at xty pounds on this lift, doesn't mean that you SHOULD. and i'm thinking constantly of my kid playing baseball when he was little. everyone yelling 'just have fun up there', and how sad it is that so few kids actually manage to hear it, and do that.

so. i went in there determined to pick the weights that were fun.

squats:
    2x5x20 warmup
    1x5x45 warmup
    1x5x50 warmup
    5x5x60. all nice and strong feeling. also threw in 2x5x45 of sumo squats later on (between row sets), because inner thighs.

bench:
    2x5x45 warmup.
    5x5x50. being veeeerrrry cautious. still feel like i'm unable to find the right form. it's usually pretty hard to get hold of a bench, so some days i just skip it or try to half-*kitten* it with some kind of workaround . . . or do overhead presses instead. not ideal, but bah. thinking back, i think i was flaring my elbows outwards too much so that my forearms ended up nowhere near vertical at the bottom of each rep. i knew it but i couldn't figure out how it was happening because i'm so body-dyslexic sometimes.

rows:
    2x5x35 warmup, while waiting for the squat rack.
    2x5x45 warmup
    5x5x60. first time i've tried to be serious about doing rows. working weight surprised me by being so high. and for all my griping, this felt good and went well. think i may need a wider grip though. biggest note: i laid a 5lb plate between my shoulderblades before i picked up the bar, and it was great for keeping me conscious of the flat horizontal back. weird bonus: i found i actually kind of liked them just because it's such an awesome hamstring/bum stretch.

done. gonna go make a huge protein shake, because i'm starving but also lazy.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    rows:
    2x5x35 warmup, while waiting for the squat rack.
    2x5x45 warmup
    5x5x60.

sorry, working sets were 55, not 60. i started with the 35-pound lady bar, then added 5 on each side for warmup, then switched the 5 plates to 10.

still and all, i'm pretty stocked. my rows are stronger than my presses!
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Workout A for me today :)

Squats: warm up, 5x5 @ 60kg
    BP: warm up, 5x5 @ 38.5kg
    Rows: 5/5/5/5/4 @ 41kg

Finished week 8 today - sooo happy *_*