July workout check-in thread - Don't July about your PR

Options

Replies

• JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Does no one else lift in kg?! All the maths confuses me...

I would like to share that I'm super proud of my deadlift, today I attempted 50kg, and got my first failure I only managed 3 out of the 5 I should have. Still feel like I smashed it as I weigh 54kg. YAY

I lift in kg ;)
    ANd congrats on the deadlift! :)
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    as a general etiquette question . . . is it ignorant to do overhead presses in the rack?
    I don't know if it's proper etiquette, but it's a hell of a lot better for training purposes. You're training a strict press, not a clean/press.

I say go for it. I do. If someone's hanging around/asking about the rack, I explain politely what I'm doing and I'll be done as soon as I can.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    I weighed myself yesterday at 156 so I basically lifted my own weight. It wasn't easy but I was really amazed that I could do it at all!
    This is awesome!! Whoo! :drinker:
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Had a bad dream about not being able to get a job because of my haircut and industrial piercing...so I was up at 4:30. I tried for a while to go back to bed, but that wasn't happening, so I just got up and got ready for the gym.

Got to the gym at 5:30 and left at 7:30...lol. I had a lot of anxiety and just decided to hang out after SL and jump rope. Out of all the things I could do, I picked jumping rope. Meh. I saw it just sitting there and thought to myself "I guess I could do some of that."

Squats: Back to 45 plates, yay. :) 135lbs 5x5

Bench: First time in the power rack, because 105 was interesting. lol, good thing because I failed every time. I could have hit 5 reps on the first set, but I wasn't mentally in the right spot...then the next sets were more difficult. 3/4/4/3/2 @110lbs

Rows: Felt great, form feels nice so I can't wait to get back up to my original (non-injury) deload weight. 5x5 @85lbs

Then did a 6 sets of one min on, one min off jump rope. Did exactly two double unders in honor of krok.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    @suremeansyes NICE bench press!!!!
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    @suremeansyes NICE bench press!!!!

Thank you!! I'm quite proud. :)
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    @suremeansyes that's awesome!

Workout B today. Felt kind of off the whole way through, maybe because I've been eating a bit less this week. Just didn't feel like I could go 100% today.

Squats 5x5x95 Felt some form breakdown though. Also I finally took a video to post here, but I might redo it Monday because I don't feel like it was as good as usual. I suspect that I will be deloading next week, though, to work through some form issues. Again. Sigh.

OHP 5x5x55! Finally!

DL 1x2x105 (plus warmup 1x5x65, 1x3x85) Sumo style - definitely need to go to the lower weights here and work back up
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Workout B today

Squats: warm up, 2x5@95, 5@100, 5@105, 5@110
    OHP: 3x5@51
    DL: warm up, 5@115

Have a nice weekend :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    workout b.

squats 5x5x70. five pounds up from last time.
    ohp: total gong show. couldn't get a rack, couldn't recover nicely from cleaning the bar my own self, couldn't lift more than 1 maybe 2 sets of 5 at 50. i think i backed it all the way down to 40 eventually, just trying to find *something* i could do and finish each rep with some grace. so in the end i did my 5x5 at 40 after a whole road accident series of failed sets at higher weights. by the time i got all that done i just felt mangled and cranky and discouraged by the whole thing.
    dl: 1x5x70. also 5 up, or maybe 10. can't remember. couldn't get the big training plates or the big bar; had to use the little wavy 20lb par and two 25lb plates.

then, because i was mad, i finally got into the rack after the whole workout was done, and i did 1 set of 5 overhead presses at 45 taking the bar from the rack, just :mad: because. i'll be using the bloody rack from now on.

i bought these silly wifty looking things from a drugstore on my way in, some kind of 'sleeve' thingies with bamboo in them and a buncha hype about i dunno, infrared ray conversion or something, supposed to 'speed healing.' the normal enquiring mind in me would wear only one of them over only one knee, just to see if they really do help. but i'm not gonna. i'm still feeling crabby and ripped off from the workout, i guess.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hello all. This is my first time posting here. I sort of started trying SL using dumbbells because my gym only had a Smith machine. I wasn't able to progress much with squats or deadlifts. I have a barbell and bench at home now, so I decided to officially start the program. I started squats and deadlifts at the beginning, but I started the other lifts about 10 pounds down from the dumbbells I was using (mainly because I had just come off a break).

So today I did Workout A.

Squat - 5x5x50
    Bench - 5x5x70
    Bent Over Rows - 5x5x70
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Just jogging in (lol, cardio) to say hi to everyone!

I've been crazy busy lately, and my lifting has not been great -- no new PRs, boo --, so I haven't come in to share my workouts. I'm shifting gyms in three weeks, so I'm sort of preparing for that mental change, and trying to hit my calorie goals consistently.

I see a lot of great numbers, and new faces! Hopefully this station (me) will be back to regular programming soon!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    COMPETE day! This is a timed, mostly circuits-based day of training. Kicks my *kitten*! I didn't share last week's (was focused on snatches, figure power cleans are a lil more accessible) so I figured I'd give you guys an idea, in case you ever wanted to shake up your training a tad.

Warm-up: take as long as you need here, Make sure you,re ready but don,t burn yourself out!

0-10min
    work up to a heavy power clean + front squat combo (made it up to 112.5. I'm not sure if that's a PR or not but that rep wasn't very "clean" per say! lol)

10-22 minutes
    4 sets of AMRAP pull-ups superset with HSPU (or pike push-ups in my case). Pulls-ups were obviously assisted, although I am starting to be able to move my body a bit unassisted. Getting close!

22-24 - REST (Thank lawd? seriously, barely enough time to pick up bands and set-up next weight)

24-34 mins - 5 rounds for time of
    - 5x power clean + front squat @ 75% of the heavy set earlier (that was 85lbs for me)
    - 10 burpees over the barbell

Made it 3 rounds and 3 burpees. Eyikes

34-36 min - REST (yes please)

36-46 min - 10 min AMRAP
    - Double DB push press x 5
    - Front rack DB lunges x5 / leg
    - Bent over DB rows
    - Push-ups on DB

started @ 25lbs but in the 2nd round I realized I wasn,t going to make it with good form so I downgraded to 20lbs for round 3-5. Finished round 5 after the timer, though. I just hate leaving AMRAPs unfinished xD

2 weeks left on this program. 2 months ago I could barely power clean 105, today I probably had 115 if I'd had 2 more minutes :) It feels pretty great to be getting stronger ^^
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @krok- I'm exhausted just reading that post. :embarassed:

Here was my workout this morning:
    Zumba for 1 hour.
    Squat 5x5 @90#
    Bench press 5x5 @70
    One arm dumbell row # 5x5 @20 each. Just don't like the barbell rows- my back never feels good when I do them.
    Lat pull down 2x10 @ 48#.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    the DL warm up is killing me, after 10 DL with a lower weight I am pretty done :-/
    Maybe I'lll shorten the warm up to 2x3 reps instead of 2x5 reps.

I don't do any warmup before DL. I don't think Mehdi does one in his video on the SL website. From what I remember reading, squats and OHP with warmups should have you all ready to do your 1 set of DL without any extra warmup.
    I do one warm up before I start lifting and one cool down when I am done.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Had a bad dream about not being able to get a job because of my haircut and industrial piercing...so I was up at 4:30. I tried for a while to go back to bed, but that wasn't happening, so I just got up and got ready for the gym.

Got to the gym at 5:30 and left at 7:30...lol. I had a lot of anxiety and just decided to hang out after SL and jump rope. Out of all the things I could do, I picked jumping rope. Meh. I saw it just sitting there and thought to myself "I guess I could do some of that."

Squats: Back to 45 plates, yay. :) 135lbs 5x5

Bench: First time in the power rack, because 105 was interesting. lol, good thing because I failed every time. I could have hit 5 reps on the first set, but I wasn't mentally in the right spot...then the next sets were more difficult. 3/4/4/3/2 @110lbs

Rows: Felt great, form feels nice so I can't wait to get back up to my original (non-injury) deload weight. 5x5 @85lbs

Then did a 6 sets of one min on, one min off jump rope. Did exactly two double unders in honor of krok.
    Very impressive. :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I was too tired from my first week back at work to even think about lifting, so it got pushed to today. My eating today had been out of whack, I thought about having a cheat day, ate a bunch then felt bad for not logging, then decided I could save today, so I'll go for a long walk later today.

Squat 3x5 145
    Bench 3/3/3 75 lbs 2x5 65 lbs
    Row 4/4/3 80lbs

3x8 negative pull ups
    3x8 flies 20 lbs

With 2 days rest and all my early afternoon calories I was hoping for better.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm on a rest day, but i'm just logging in to report that last night i dreamed i grew hair all over my chest . . .

not sure what to make of that one. did yesterday's workout release some big testosterone storm that got through to my subconscious even while i was asleep? anyway, i woke up and i'm much relieved to report i'm no more hairy than i was before i lay down.

with all the stoopid stuff that gets said to women who lift weights, i don't think i've ever heard of being asked if we're scared it'll put hair on our chests.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,
    I've been lurking here for a while but thought I'd join in if that's ok?

I just finished my 8th week of SLs (prior to starting this I completed NROLFW).

Last nights workout was:

Squat 5x5 @ 143lbs
    OHP 4x5 @ 60lbs man I cannot get higher on that!
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 176lbs which is more than I weigh so super proud of that!

Looking forward to getting to know you all :flowerforyou:
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @ psych101 Welcome. Glad to have you here.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Increased squats again, tried to increase deadlift but it wasn't happening this session.

Workout A (Sun)

dumbbell skier swings - 5 x 15 - 40

flys 5 x 8 - 40

overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 100

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 65

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 75

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 145

squats 5 X 5 - 150

Dumbbell side bend - 5 x 15 - 40

hot potato squat 5 x 12 - 15