Form check videos

Options

Replies

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Not much to note IMO, those are some pretty solid squats! You still kinda have that slight wobble thing going on. From the back shot i'd say it's a bit of a sway to the right (your knee caves in on that side first, too). So you basically spend the entire push back up trying to even that out? Maybe you could stabilize that just by thinking about pushing BOTH feet through the floor? Just a thought.

Them grunts tho! =P
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Lol, yeah, back at grunting weight. Inzer belt, y u no here yet?
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Overall some solid squats. Push knees out more. You look like you are doing a high bar squat, but with the bar in a low bar position. This may cause you some issues when the weights heavier. I would suggest either placing the bar up on your traps, or keeping it where it is and sitting back more.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    @krok

the weights looked more than manageable :drinker:

You do a bit of Oly lifting don't you? Well if you do then you defo want to work on getting the bar a little higher for a proper high bar squat it will help with the Oly lifting where a low bar doesn't really add anything.

Get your elbows under the bar :happy:

You might want to try foot placement a little wider to get a bit more depth, also focus on knees out during the lift

These are just little improvements, the squat was fine if you were in a PL comp :bigsmile:

Thanks!

This is pretty much what I'd observed myself, but it's good to have confirmation haha. Although I've found getting my feet any wider puts too much torque on my knee and that's still a bit iffy/not fully healed (I tried doing low bar squats with a bit wider stance during my deload and my knee got really angry at me WHILE doing the reps, so I think Im stuck with that width for now).

I'm pretty sure if I put the bar a lil higher up the elbows'll track better. I don't have any wrist issues and my back is still engaged though so I'm not too stressed about that one. I like that spot though. It's comfy. (I think I got used to that "mid-bar" placement after going for a heavy double a few months back and bruising that bump on the back of my neck pretty badly.)

Yeah I know about the bruises, I switched to high bar a few months ago and the bruising has finally stopped. My lack of rear delts was causing bruising on my shoulders but I'm slowly fixing that :bigsmile:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Getting your elbows under the bar might help with what I think looks like a bit of forward lean in the 150lb video? Also, I agree with the wider stance.

Okay, gonna link my squat videos then too I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9zOiVUc2pA&list=UUlN1FcZ5g8DFYyHjBRps0Pg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-66pqIpSw8&list=UUlN1FcZ5g8DFYyHjBRps0Pg&index=2

Now that I look at it, I think I can tuck my elbows a little more too, and I know my knees track in a bit.

Yep as Tree said, with high bar you need to get them elbows under, especially at the bottom as this will help to also keep that torso up. Focus on the knees tracking out, the weight doesn't look a problem just a bit of instability coming out of the bottom. Also at the top make sure them glutes are squeezed tight before the next rep
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Right... posting another video of my squats after a few weeks doing SL. Not proud of them but I can tell you I could not even get that lower before so I think I'm getting there with the depth. You can ignore completely the first rep (hello depth?) and I know they are pretty crap anyway, considering the low weight (which still feels heavy for me, hence the struggles in the last rep) but maybe you could give me some tips to see if I could actually get the hint of it EVER or if I should just stop thinking about squatting all together (ha ha, just joking!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU9t-j1LKOA&feature=youtu.be
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Drop it drop it low girl, drop it drop it low girl.

Try some box squats to get that butt down lower. You can do it! Concentrate on "sitting back", I really drop my butt low.

Second bit of advice, don't be so hard on yourself! Be proud that you're doing it. Your brain doesn't need all that negativity in it when you set up to squat. Be positive and be proud. Not everyone can video themselves and post it online, you're one step ahead.
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    Also, are you tightening up your core before descending? Take a deep breath and hold it tight, you should feel yourself contracted all around your abs and lower back, form a solid base before taking it down.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Do you feel your glutes kick in? Doesn't look like they are even working. I had the same problem. As suremeansyes said to use a box to get the feel of it. Could also try goblet squats to help get your butt lower. I also checked out strong curves to get my glutes working and it really helps.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I just finished my third week and I've been repeating squats almost every week to try and get form nailed down (due to knee issues, I want to be as careful as possible). I found that beginning with a step stool under me helped me to learn the "feel" of a proper squat, and to play around with different stances until I found the one most comfortable for my knees. That really helped me out in the beginning, as well as the tip to "push your legs/knees outward" to keep my knees from coming in when standing.

This week, however, I finally realized that the stool was now holding me back, as when I tried to do squats without it, I found I wasn't going nearly as deep. Removing the stool at this stage seemed to forced me to hone in on some final adjustments and learn to tighten and balance properly without relying on the safety the stool provided, and my squats felt much improved today.

I've also found that doing a set of 5 bodyweight squats in between each set helps me remember my most comfortable form. Stretching in between each set has done wonders for hitting the following sets as well. Now in between each set I sit down, touch my toes, do a few planks, sit-ups, leg, back and shoulder stretches and the next set then feels like a fresh start.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you mainly on your heels? it almost looks like you are wobbling back and forth, try lifting your toes to make sure you are mainly on your heels but just your toes you don't want to fall over...(trust me I have almost fallen over checking that)

As well at the end with the "butt crunch"...if you get low enough you don't need to do that, it almost looks like it is putting you off balannce.

The only other thing I noticed not already mentioned is the position of the bar seems to be high bar squat and if so you are leaning to far forward as well which causes your hips to come up fast.

Along with what was mentioned perviously about getting low. Try an empty bar and see if you can get ATG (*kitten* to grass) otherwise it could be a mobiliity flex issue.

violet mentioned a stool...I use one on heavy weights to make sure I am getting below parallel. Similar to a box but I don't sit on it I just let my butt rub the edge and then I know I am deep enough. Along with the stance...it took me about 4 weeks to find mine.
  • maryetamfp
    Options
    Wow, thanks a lot for all the feedback!! I have to say that I was doing them with a small box I made with a few of those steps you use to buid a "plastic bench" (if I'm explaining myself at all...). That definitely helped me to go lower and doing the sitting back (I think for some reason I might be scared of sitting back "in the air" in case I fall back with the bar or whatever, I don't now) but I have changed gym and could not find anything similar but I'll ask because I'm definitely not going as down without.

I usually do some warm up without bar, only with the bar and adding a bit of weight and while I can go a bit deeper I can't still do ATG at all, I've always had flexibility problems but I'm working on it really hard and determined to get it, eventually. I know that it seems I'm not doing anything but a month ago I couldn't even go that "low" so I hope that with practise, I can get it.

Definitely doing the "breath in" tight core before but only before starting the set, should I be doing it between reps as well?

Well... at least "there is hope", I suppose...

Thanks everyone, you're a great lot and I feel very inspired by you and your knowledge!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Definitely doing the "breath in" tight core before but only before starting the set, should I be doing it between reps as well?

it took me a while to learn the breathing thing too, but yeah - it really helps if you do that with every rep and once you get the hang of it it starts to come automatically because it's actually more comfortable to do the whole thing that way. a trainer i was talking to on the weekend suggested: pretend you're standing in water right up to your chin. deep breath, hold, and go under. then if you have to you can blow it out while you're on your way back up.

neat suggestion to get the idea across.
  • maryetamfp
    Options

it took me a while to learn the breathing thing too, but yeah - it really helps if you do that with every rep and once you get the hang of it it starts to come automatically because it's actually more comfortable to do the whole thing that way. a trainer i was talking to on the weekend suggested: pretend you're standing in water right up to your chin. deep breath, hold, and go under. then if you have to you can blow it out while you're on your way back up.

Very good suggestion indeed, trying this next time!!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options

That's a fantastic suggestion. I will try that tomorrow.
  • angelskwats
    Options
    Hi everyone! I have been doing stronglifts for 2 weeks now and I'd really love some feedback and critique on my squat form. Am I leaning forward too much? Don't mind the baby weights, I'm fairly new to lifting weights! :)

I did low bar squats @65lb
    http://youtu.be/lZWIZljBnyE
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Would like some advice/opinions...Next workout will be 100lb squat, and I want to make sure I'm ready. Watching this, I think I should be lower. Also, don't mind no shirt-garage is HOT!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t4ykIa3Mmk
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Wow. Angel and Bruerin you both have some pretty solid form. You both drop fairly fast which is completely fine. You just want to make sure that you're not losing tightness when you do so, but only you would be able to determine that.

Angel you might want to place the bar higher as the weights get heavier. You pretty much have textbook high bar squat, but with low bar placement. Or you might just naturally move to a low bar posture as the weights get heavier and you are unable to keep the bar in place otherwise. I quite like your coordinated gym outfit.

Bruerin- and this is super nitpicky. It looks like your heels come up the tiniest bit and maybe roll to the outside. Again it's such a minor movement it's hard to discern. Just make sure you're focusing on keeping weigh in the heels. I can't tell from the angle of the video if your knees are caving at all, but it's always good advice to make sure you're pushing them out. I think we might have the same chucks. Mine are tiny white and black checks. :)
  • angelskwats
    Options
    Wow. Angel and Bruerin you both have some pretty solid form. You both drop fairly fast which is completely fine. You just want to make sure that you're not losing tightness when you do so, but only you would be able to determine that.

Angel you might want to place the bar higher as the weights get heavier. You pretty much have textbook high bar squat, but with low bar placement. Or you might just naturally move to a low bar posture as the weights get heavier and you are unable to keep the bar in place otherwise. I quite like your coordinated gym outfit.

Bruerin- and this is super nitpicky. It looks like your heels come up the tiniest bit and maybe roll to the outside. Again it's such a minor movement it's hard to discern. Just make sure you're focusing on keeping weigh in the heels. I can't tell from the angle of the video if your knees are caving at all, but it's always good advice to make sure you're pushing them out. I think we might have the same chucks. Mine are tiny white and black checks. :)

Thank you! I'll make sure I keep my tightness when going down :) I'd really like to keep doing low-bar, do you have any tips I could use to make my form look like low-bar?
    Haha thank you, I didn't mean to match my shirt and shoes, but they did :laugh:
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Thanks for taking the time to review and respond. I will work on a slower descent. I see what you mean about my heels. I've been working on correcting that since I began SLs. It has gotten better since I switched to converse, but as the weight gets heavier, that little heel lift could lead to a big crash or ankle injury. I think next time I will try barefoot and really concentrate on feeling the floor in my heels the entire time. I don't think my knees cave in, but I will also focus on keeping them pushing out.

Whenever I lift with my husband, he will have me correct some things. But for the most part, he says "looks good" when I ask for feedback. I tend to exasperate him with my constant questions. I appreciate being able to post videos here, because I think women in General have a better eye for detail.