September check-in and chat.. lift like septimus prime!

Options

Replies

• SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to share a couple of small victories. I've been struggling with my OHP and finally got through 5x5 @ 50 lbs today! Doesn't sound like much but I'd been stuck there for about a month. Since I'm cutting I thought I might have to give up on seeing any improvement, but thanks to some suggestions I saw here and also paying really good attention to my form I finally did it.

Also, next time I do deadlifts I'll be able to use 45 lb plates. Woo hoo!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I woke up at 5am today (actually I was up at 4am, but tried to force myself back to sleep unsuccessfully) so I figured I'd do squat day this morning.

Warm up + 150x5, 167.5x3, 185x6 <<-- PR aaaaaand that's my body weight!!!!
    Resistance band hip extensions 5x10 red+orange bands
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to Katro and SkepticalOwl, it's really inspiring to read about your successes :smile:
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Yesterday's workout:

Squat 95 5x5. I took longer rests between sets. I usually stick to 3 min, but I did 4-5 last night and it really made a difference.
    OHP 60 4x5, 1x3. I really thought I would nail it this time. I got 4 sets with no problem, on the last I only made 3, and could barely re rack the bar. Again with 4-5 min rests between.
    Deadlifts 100 1x5. I made my 100lb goal here! The last rep was a challenge, but I did it!
    Hip thrusts 65 3x12. I change my location of these last night and it made a difference. I tried using my bench, bit it has a curve and is hard to keep stable. I tried using the swiss ball, and it wasn't really activating my glutes. Last night, I removed a cushion from the couch and used the edge of the couch as my bench. Holy smokes! Real glute work there!

I am pretty happy with my progress here.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Workout A today - Day 16
    Still loving SL but sad that my squats have been put on hold because of my knee which doesn't seem to be getting any better :-(

BP - 1x5 @ 60, 2x5 @ 65, 1x3 @ 70, 1x4 @ 70, 1x3 @ 70
    BR - 5x5 @ 75

Squats - bodyweight + 10lb plate x 30
    Straight Leg DL - bar x 30
    Bicep Curls 15lb dumb bells x 30

I am going away for business on my next SL day so I will be doing some cardio at the hotel fitness center instead and picking back up with Workout B on Saturday :-)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Then I added in 40 pushups and a few planks.

OMG! 40 pushups?!!??

You're a beast (in the best way possible!)

I will add these are from my knees :blushing: I am not ready for "real" pushups yet. But THANK You!!!

If you can do 40 push-ups on your knees, you can do a few regular ones! The way I got myself better at it was to do as many as i could of the regular ones then dropping to my knees for the rest. Just give it a try! You have a lot less to lose by thinking you can and trying than selling yourself short and not reaping the benefits ;)

I DID IT! I was talking with hubby last night and he asked how many I did and he said the same thing. "If you can do x on your knees I bet you can do them from your toes", so I got down on the floor and tried. 3 regular and 3 wide before I wanted to fall on my face. And then my 4.5 yo got on the floor with me and she tried too. (it looked more like downward dog, LOL), but it was awful cute!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Did my 36 minutes of HIIT sprints to burn off the pre-workout and coffee caffeine high I've been riding all morning. Now I want a nap... :smile:
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Deloaded 10lbs off squat to 115 and OHP to 45 and only did 3x5 of each plus warm ups. Shoulder was hurting a little bit so didn't want to push it. Tried different hand and arm placements but can't really tell what the issue is.

Tried a lateral raise with an 8lb dumb bell with my hurt shoulder and that definitely set it off. Also flexing while jabbing my elbow backwards hurts as does raising it across my body (like when taking off a shirt). Otherwise, it feels fine. I'm contemplating not squatting or doing lifts that involve the shoulders for a few days.

On the positive side, I deadlifted 165 as scheduled and did fine. Did one bonus with double overhand grip which was hard but possible. I love deadlifts!

Threw in 3x8 skull crushers at 30 lbs just to make my gym session more worthwhile.

Took some advil for my shoulder.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I DID IT!

that is so cool :drinker: i envy you guys with small children. mine's 24 and past the age where i can leverage him as a quick-n-easy back cracker by lying flat and inviting him to tromp up and down on my spine. seriously, i'm almost ready to try and borrow a small child for 15 minutes or so.

you guys who have this great in-house resource available to you should give it a try.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

Some great progress going on in this thread!!

I lifted last night and am feeling it in my butt this morning! Yikes!

Squat 5x5 @ 132lbs - still working on form and getting low enough, gonna stay here for next time
    Bench 5x5 @ 72lbs - I am loving me some bench lately! feels like the heavier weights are easier, so weird!
    Row 5x5 @66lbs - damn rows

then some accessory stuff like lat pull downs, single leg weighted lunges, single arm thrust thingees lol
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OHP day for me today
    warmup and then 45 lbs x 5, 55 lbs x 5 and then 60 lbs x 7

BB rows 60lbs, assisted dips, incline pushups. 10 reps for 5 sets, all in all it went pretty well. I did some sprints afterwards because I am stressing (well more nervous and excited) about some work stuff and I needed to burn that off.

I applied for a new job (same company), but the posting doesn't close until October so I think my nerves are going to be absolutely shot by the time I find out if I got it or not.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Woo! So much win here!

I went right back into a 2nd cycle of Wendler (going by the Beyond Wendler Template, you only need to deload after 6 weeks. I'm fine with that! =D) Bench 5 day went a little like this:

82.5x5
    95x5
    107.5x10
    82.5x15 (no lazy plate loading today, I had to switch the 25s out anyway lol)

Improvement on my + set of the 3s 2 weeks ago! And the first set last really helps with the bit of extra volume I think I was missing, without taking it all out of you the way BBB does :)

Then went on to this new program I'm pairing this with, which is shorter in duration that what I've been doing. I didn't do cleans because I wanted to make sure I could get my work in. And since this program is 5 days a week I might just alternate cleans and snatches on the days I don't do wendler. Not trying to progress here, just don't wanna lose my strength

The set-up was 3 rounds of 30/30 work/rest of
    - KB Goblet squats @ 40
    - Push-ups
    - Recline rows
    - DB RDL @ 35
    - Plank holds

I feel like I short changed myself by selecting the 30/30 (program has the option of 40/20 and 50/10 as well for more advanced training but I wanted to play it safe getting into it. Only struggled with the push-ups. Which figures...). Averaged between 12-15 reps on everything and the planks were EASY

Then 4 rounds of 20/10
    - Sit outs
    - Hollow rocks

Now these I definitely felt the burn! Coulda gone for 6 or 8 rounds here to make it harder but honestly? 4 was more than enough xD

And I had some extra time to add in some face pulls at the end. Don't wanna neglect mah rear delts! Overall loved that first day! I'll be repeating it next week but will step up the difficulty a bit :)
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Workout B:

Squats 110 lbs 5x5
    OHP 50 lbs 4x5, 1x4 (dammit!)
    Deadlift 105 lbs 2x5

Also did some bicep curls and triceps work.

Trying to decide how I should handle lifting next week being in taper for my first half marathon on the 28th. It will feel weird not to lift on my off days from running, but I don't want to fatigue myself too much before the race. Decisions, decisions!
  • dapunks
    dapunks Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I seem to say this a lot this summer.

Back at it but only 2 days a week. With everything else I plan on doing this will work the best for me right now.

I have decided to try doing OHP and well my ego was a little bruised but I did manage a couple. You have to start somewhere to progress.

Deadlifts - 3x5x 95lbs
    OHP - 3x3x35lbs (I manged to just list the barbell)
    Squats - 3x8x75lbs

Then just some core work.
  • nassaugyal
    nassaugyal Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Loving the motivation! I've been a stalker for awhile - just sucking up the positivity without giving much back. But, one of my goals is to correct that!

This morning was a bench press day (day 5 of doing SL) and I was supposed to be on 55lbs. From the very first rep it was difficult but I fought through and was able to get 5/4/5/5/4 - and I felt like it almost killed me! When I got off the bench I looked at the weights and realized that I had been lifting 65lbs - not 55, like I thought I was!

It felt so good to know that I had fought and was able to do more than I ever thought I could.

Yeah, my arms were so sore that I could barely wash my face afterward, but it still felt so good. Definitely addicted now.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    @nassaugyal Great job, that's an awesome feeling!

Today was running club, those ladies are super nice. They are all long distance (all have run halfs, a couple full marathons) but they put up with my slowness and really encourage me to give it my all. We did 8.3 km in just over an hour. That is my longest run ever!
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @ nassaugyal Ive done that, numbers are hard in the morning but awesome job on getting them up!

@krok you are super human! I dont know how you do it all!

A day.
    squat 140 3x5 ive been doing 3 one day and 5 the next time. Seems to work out for me.
    bench 78 5x5 felt good, only grunted on the last rep of last 2 sets.
    row 88 5x5
    All PR's there

SC High box squat 145 3x6 PR
    one leg hyper extension 3x12 PR
    hip rotation 15 each side
    hip thrust feet shoulder elevated. 3x6 these were easy and i couldve/shouldve done a few more but running out of time. Just enough time to shower and eat and relax for a few mins before i work. Even though hubz thought i would have time to start supper early so he could eat earlier. LIke WTF?! I have an hour to shower and eat, not enough time to make tator tot hotdish. He sure wasn't willing to do it for himself. :grumble:

I am so glad for this group! I try to tel hubby that i PR and hes like .. um ok... Geez, could i get a WOW good job babe! :laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies back at this lifting this week...

Week 2 of Wendlers.

OHP day so warm up went like this....32.5x5, 42.5x5 and 50x3
    Working weight 57.5x3, 65x3 and then 75x6

Acc work Chinups 2,1,1,1,1 (some of those have halfs in there but eh)
    Dips 15,15,12,12,12

Did a HIIT Workout yesterday, Walked 3 miles the day before...

was feeling kind of blech after my workout yesterday and finally realized why...no real days off all month. I took a Friday off (totally mentally drained) and then one Saturday in which I got 19k steps in between shopping for food, cooking and cleaning and dancing...not sure I can count that one.

So I am scheduling days off now...I often just get bored and want something to do so I will go for a walk...gotta rest my body.
  • lizafava2
    Options
    I've been doing cartweels, handstands and other tumbling moves with my kids lately.... they have joined the circus (well, they are taking classes at the circus) and I am helping them out. Turns out I remember how to do all that **** and hauling my heavy self around, surprisingly, isn't all that hard now. :) But I have been sore from all the new moves.

Anyway, yesterday's official workout was

30 minutes on Ye Olde Treadmill followed by

Squats
    210 5,5,5,5,4
    I failed the last one mostly because I just want to repeat the week. I'm eating at a defecit for once and know my strength increases will be nominal

Bench press - still at a pretty big de-load
    125 5x5

Dreaded Rows
    105 5x5
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Squats: 5@60,70,80,80
    OHP: 5@45,45,45,50
    DL: 5@75,90,105,120

Felt good :)