September check-in and chat.. lift like septimus prime!

Options
lwoodroff
lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
here you go lifting ladies :)

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I decided to do a huge deload and just work my way up much more slowly.

Squat - 5x5x80
    Bench - 5x5x60
    OHP - 5x5x40
    Row - 5x5x60
    SLDL - 5x5x60

My shoulder is still twinging, but my knee seems to be okay for now.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    :laugh: @ septimus prime!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    To fulfill my September goal of being a more active member by posting my workouts, here is today...

Leg curls - 1x12x45#, 1x12x50#, 5x12x55#
    Leg extenstions - 1x12x40#, 1x12x45#,5x12x50#
    BW squats (for form) - 2x15
    Bench - 1x10x45, 1x8x55, 5x5x65
    Rows - 5x5x45
    Core circuit - 15x2 situps, 15x2 15#kettlebell swing, 12x2 incline pushups
    30day plank challenge - 1x30sec
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ate crap yesterday and I felt it on squats today.
    B day
    125 5x5 I made a lot of noise my husband said. Hehe will repeat at least once more but probably a few times.
    OHP 57 3x5,1x4,1x3 am happy with that as I've never made it over 55.
    DL PR at 150 1x5. 10 lbs well maybe 15 now from BW. Will repeat next time, even more noise came from me on those. :laugh:

SC
    Single legged hip and shoulder elevated hip thrust 3x6 felt good on those.
    High Box squat 115 1x6, 125 1x6, 135 1x10. This was a very high box squat as my bench is higher than what I need for this.
    Hip rotation 15 each side
    Single leg hyper extension. I loved these today, can really feel the glutes working.
    Ended with 2x10 pull up progression. I still suck at these.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    DL PR at 150 1x5. 10 lbs well maybe 15 now from BW. Will repeat next time, even more noise came from me on those. :laugh:

the big thing is just not to wet yourself.

also, go you on the ohp!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    blah - am sick so currently not lifting in order to give my body a chance to fight whatever is going on. Normally I would lift but this feeling of cotton wool in my head is not good for throwing around heavy things lol
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    First workout of the month for me~

Squats: 5@50,65,80,90,105
    Bench: 5@45,45,45,50,55
    Row: 5@45,45,50,55,65

I love the thread title! :laugh:
  • CoadyMarie
    Options
    Back to posting in the check in thread after forgetting for a couple weeks... only to report that I skipped my workout today (achey legs ugh). Hopefully I will have something more interesting to say Wednesday :laugh:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Today was squats. They are really starting to drag with all my cardio/conditioning work.

Squats
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 185x3. 215x3, 240x5

Paused
    185 3x3

Superset x3
    Walking lunches x25
    Ab wheel x15

Prowler Sprints x10 it was soooooo humid I felt like I was breathing water. These took forever.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Heavy DL day today and after a weekend of eating EVERYTHING, I figured I would do ok. Unfortunately I also spent 12+ hours on my dirt bike over the weekend and my grip strength is just gone. It was super muddy out in the mountains so it made for some great biking. Lots of thrills (and spills) as well as wet socks, glad I picked my kidlet up a 10 pack of socks on our way out because he went through ALL of them.

Any way
    DL: warm up 160lbs x 5, 180lbs x3 and then 205 for 1 and then failed grip. I went back and did another one just to show myself I could though

Accessories
    Front squat, calf raises, side bends and axe things. All for 10 reps, 5 times and now I will go to bed and sleep like the dead for the next 9 hours because I am done.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Happy to report that SL5x5 was awesome tonight -- felt great, especially after a not-so-great session last Friday.

Workout A (Day 7)

Squats:
    3x20 - Bodyweight squats holding 25 lb plate
    - But! I ducked under the bar tonight just to see if I'd made any improvements with my shoulders and I definitely have! Not enough to use the barbell yet, but it's already much better than it was before. I think I may get there before the end of this month, which would be amazing!

Bench Press:
    5x5 @ 65 lbs.

Barbell Row:
    5x5 @ 70 lbs
    - The gym closed early tonight so I got rushed out of there at the end. I'm 99% sure I did 5 sets, but it might have only been 4. Either way, considering I got about three seconds of rest time between my last two sets, I'm calling it 5x5. :)

Hoping the 30 lb. barbell shows up by Wed. night so I can use it instead of dumbbells for OHP.

First day of classes tomorrow -- let the insanity begin.

Hope everyone had a great long weekend!

C.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts 5 today went okay considering I'm exhausted

140x5
    165x5
    182.5x9

Front Squats
    105 x 7 / 8 / 8
    superset with false grip hollow swings 10 / 7 / 9

Did some dips and hollow rocks and recline row transitions and 4x600m of rower

So... hungry... now...
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Monday, 1 September:
    SQ 115 5x5. Repeated weight from last workout to work on form.
    OHP 55 5x5. Deloaded from 60 because struggling.
    DL 135 1x5. Progressed as intended. Switched to mixed grip but did one double overhand.

Successfully completed workout but felt tired and weak. I have a sick pet causing me to miss my third workout last week and be distracted when I picked up yesterday. Hoping next workout will feel good (as will my cat).

Wednesday, 3 September (plan):
    SQ 120
    Deload bench and row to 65 from 75.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Will be working tonight on Squats 75lb, Bench, and Rows at 60lb. I also do 3x10 of Hip Thrusts which will be 60lb.

My goals for September is have my Squats and Deadlifts at 100lb or more. Would like to have my Bench and OHP at 75 lbs.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    @crabada - great to hear your shoulders seem to be progressing. i was scouring the interwebz for resources on what might be going on with my own sticky shoulder, and i put up a thread with a link to the most useful one (to me) that i found. their section on shoulder mechanics and diagnostics helped me to tentatively pin down my own stuff as something off with the left teres minor muscle, so suddenly i'm more hopeful than i have been for some time about sorting it out.

@llamapants - laughing at your everything-eating. only exercising i did yesterday was to scour the whole house all day, prowling around on my doms-y legs looking for more things to eat. deadlifts, i swear . . . it's like they just open up this big swirly black hole right where my stomach should be.

haven't done anything exercisey yet, today. narrow/parallel stance in the squat, plus the quad-busting stretches, really does seem like it's helping to address all that kneecap/tendinitis pain. i had doms all over the upper part of my thighs yesterday and barely a squeak from my knees. i'm hopeful on the aesthetic side too. about done with having these funnel-shaped legs.

so today i could lift, or i could ride. or do both, but i could easily spend the whole day making up my mind about which of the three, and end up not doing any of them . . .
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    First September workout was this morning...

Workout A (Day 9)
    Squats 5x10 holding 25lb plate (all racks were full again, arg!)
    Bench 5x60 - Same as last week, still tough
    Rows 5x60 - Same as last week, form is better so plan on 65 next time

Also added in bicep curls - 3x8 @ 40lbs, 2x6 @ 30lbs

I have been LOVING my early morning workouts! The gym is almost empty and I find Saturdays are the best!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @symba1130 -
    First September workout was this morning...

Workout A (Day 9)
    Squats 5x10 holding 25lb plate (all racks were full again, arg!)
    Bench 5x60 - Same as last week, still tough
    Rows 5x60 - Same as last week, form is better so plan on 65 next time

Since I haven't been able to do proper squats with the barbell yet, and see that you've done both with barbell and with plate, I'm wondering if you can describe the difference. Just curious about what to expect when I transition to the barbell.

Thanks!
    Courtney
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    First lifting sesh of September!

DL - warm up + 5x150, 3x170, 3x190

OHP - warm up + 5x65, 3x70, 3x80

No accessories today because... just because. :smile:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    OHP today
    Warm-up 60 lbs x 5, 65 lbs x 3, 75 lbs x 1, the last one was questionable at best but I got it up

Rows 55 lbs, assisted dips and incline push ups. 10 reps each for 5 sets.

I also went for a rainy run at lunch. 30 minutes of 200m running, 200m walking. It was refreshing and made my DL DOMS not quite so bad.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    the last one was questionable at best but I got it up

is it just me who snort/snickers every time someone says 'get it up'? i had a chance to say it in the gym today to some random guy, and then suddenly i *really* wasn't able to get it up. too much energy going to giggle-control.

my day.

i rode - took the 15 mile ride with the big honkin' hill out to the location of my ex-job, because i've already paid for a year's towel/locker/shower service out there, and they do my laundry . . . and i'm getting a bit low on socks. and then i lifted. whoa nelly, i was a tired biker though. the doms has worn off to where nothing hurts, but not yet to the point where i've got new gas in my legs. i could have passed up the lifting for one more recovery day, especially considering how hungry i was. but there was a rec centre right there on my path coming home . . . and it was raining like gangbusters . . . and going home and getting cleaned up just to put on all that damp muddy stuff and get wet again going back . . . i just went in there and did it, once i'd peeled off all the foul-weather gear.

i lifted in my muddy-buddies, since i had nothing else on under them. not the greatest idea since they're not really built to flex all the way into a squat, but i managed. and instead of getting all sweated up, i dried out.

squats: 1x5@30, 2x5@40, 7x7@65. on the one hand with these set progressions: whoa. i did the math, and that's one rep less than DOUBLE the number of reps that you do with a plain 5x5. and 8's day will be . . . sixty-four reps, that's what. more than halfway to 3 times that much *faints*. i don't know whether to be amazed that i made it, or unsurprised that with that much volume, i was just cranking them off for the first 4 or 5 in each set, and only starting to need a few extra breathing cycles and get stuck in the last or second-last reps. in any case, i think only one or two in the whole bundle had anything i'd call a wobble or a fold-over trying to happen to them. however, let me tell you . . . 49 squats is ENOUGH for one day.

rows: 2x5@40, 1x5@50, then 7x7@60. need to explain this one a bit. the centre i was at only has a curl bar aside from the two olys for squats and bench. and among all the other things i already hate about rows, i didn't feel like adding the extra hate of those weird curl-bar angles confusing my grip. so i took the fixed-weight barbell with a little help for getting the height, which put me 5lb lower than last time for rows. to make up for that, i skipped over the 6x6 day and did 7x7 instead, and i strung every set together and worked pretty fast through each set. i sure needed those breaks between sets doing it that way. again, 7x7 was pretty much all i had in me, i think - but on the other hand, up until failure point, that weight felt pretty nice. i guess next time it ought to be 7x7 at 65, to get back on track. ** something that escaped me somehow about pendlay rows, is they're supposed to be done 'explosively', not slowly - which weirdly enough actually seemed like it made things a bit easier.

bench: bench just sucked, that's all. i'm really conscious now that i just don't know what i'm doing when i'm doing bench press. this time around i realised i didn't have my forearms at 90 degrees to the floor, and when i brought my elbows in closer all hell started to unwind in my shoulder somewhere. i think i got through 5x5 at 45, and called it a day so i could come home and start on the youtube searches.

** irrelevant rant: i ran into the brainless 'trainer' woman who gave those classes i took in the spring. she's a parks board employee and i don't want to imply she doesn't know her stuff, exactly, because she does. she just sucked as a trainer for me because if you ask me she never believed for a second that anyone with r.a. could or should be doing anythign of any kind. wouldn't let me do anything serious even though i had a doctor's clearance and she doesn't know zip about the disease, called my ambitions in the direction of real strength 'cute', kept actually taking weights out of my hands because they were 'too heavy' and giving me baby-sized ones. refused to even discuss what a 'realistic' idea of strength standards for women might be, or even really to admit that such a thing might exist. wouldn't teach compound lifts of any kind because we weren't 'ready', never showed us how to use the squat rack, never taught a deadlift, and somehow turned what was supposed to be a non-gender-biased, barrier-REMOVING 'weightlifting for women' course into a dumb-*kitten* girly-girly aesthetics-weightloss boot camp full of isolation moves on machines and/or with tiny dumbbells.

and she's one of those people who are so tunnel visioned they mislead or confuse you, and then patronize you for being confused. so even when their explanations/descriptions are ambiguous enough to be meaningless, it never quite penetrates the communication issue is at least 50% theirs. anyway, i got angry enough after sessions and sessions of trying to find some way to make it all work, that i just walked out halfway through her last class without explaining a thing or even saying goodbye. stalked off to the freeweights room and got in the rack by myself.

so, there she was being the 'attendant on duty' today . . . you'd think it would be awkwardness. it was not; she was so condescending she appears to believe now that the only 'barrier' between me and what i was doing today was my own mind or something. she practically clapped handsies on finding out that i'm 'still here', and she had the gall to tell me i ought to be 'proud' of myself over it. huh? not that i told her i'm doing sl, or anything else, but sheesh.