New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I have known my whole life that T2 was in my genes, but simply ignored it. Even when I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during both my pregnancies, I ignored it. Then in 2013, I started losing weight - a lot - without trying, my hair started falling out, I was hitting the bathroom 20 times a day (and night!), thirsty, thirsty, thirsty all the time... I knew what the symptoms meant, but I went into denial, and hoped that it would just go away. Finally, out of fear of losing my limbs or eyesight, I coudn't ignore it anymore. I went to the doctor in May of this year and had an A1C of 11.5 (283 - yikes!). The doctor said that technically, I should be on insulin, but said she would give me 3 months to get healthy by eating right and exercising, and prescribed the lowest dose of Metformin to help me along. The first thing I did was (re)join MFP!! I just went for my follow-up doctor visit last week, and my A1C was down to 7.5 - just .5 higher than the goal that was set for me. I have another appointment in 4 months, and am PRAYING that I can get off the Metformin. I just now found this group, and I'm anxious to keep up with other folks who are fighting the same battle as me!

Hi kalenawald, I'm glad you've found your way back to mfp, and to this community group too. Equally great is your decision to no longer avoid seeking medical help to prevent or delay the unwanted serious complications associated with uncontrolled diabetes.

I'm confident there are others here who can empathize with your experience of denial too, including myself at times over the years living with this condition. Denial Is not uncommon and truly a human emotional experience.

Congratulations on your A1C improvement. Well done. Wishing you continued success too!

Have a look around the various thread topics and ask questions. Sharing your experiences living with this condition are warmly welcomed too. This is a great community to look to for support, encouragement and knowledge, to gain a better understanding of this chronic condition.

Additionally, bloodsugar101.com is a great online resource designed to educate and answer any questions you might have easing your frustrations and stress.

Welcome!
  • IAM125lbs
    IAM125lbs Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is PeJay. Was diagnosed T2 a couple of weeks ago at AIC 6.8. MD gave me three months to bring this under control with changing food habits and exercise. Have been a member of MFP since 2007 but slacked off while dealing with other life events. I needed all the information I can gained from those who have/are walking this path.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi PeJay,

One of the best tools, aside from using MFP's nutrition tracking program, is a blood glucose monitor. By testing before meals and again 2 hrs after mealtimes you'll quickly learn how the food choices you've made affect your blood sugar levels. If you're insured, check with your health insurance carrier to learn what brands and test strips are covered under your plan and ask your healthcare provider for a prescription.

If you're uninsured, Walmart offers their ReliOn brand of meters and strips proven to be reliable and accurate, at a low cost too.

bloodsugar101.com is a great helpful resource designed to answer some of the many questions you might have.

Welcome PeJay!
  • darkin48
    darkin48 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I am a Type 2 diabetic since 2008. I'm on medication and diet to keep my numbers in line and in the beginning it wasn't really working, which lead to me finally being diagnosed with Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy. We went through a bunch of different ones, finally settled on some that are keeping my A1C and glucose levels to a reasonable level. But no matter how good I eat and exercise, the weight is just not coming off.

It's been very difficult.

The neuropathy was making it hard to do most exercises, especially the one I can do at work - walk. It got so bad, it was all I could do not to cry at my desk after a walk. Finally, I had enough and went to an orthopedic shoe store. I've had my new shoes for about 4 days now and I can walk again. They still hurt a little, but nothing like they used to after a walk. I'm back walking and I'm going to work back up to four 11 minute walks per day. Right now, I'm at 2.

Sorry to ramble on, I'm really looking forward to meeting all of you and being able to give, as well as receive, support in this diet battle.

Dawn
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Dawn,

I'm glad to hear you and your healthcare team, after many attempts, found an approach that helps to keep your blood sugars at healthier levels.

Just a thought, seeking out a recommendation from your healthcare provider for a registered dietitian specializing in diabetic nutrition in your area might be helpful in accomplishing you weight loss goals by finding an eating plan that works for you.

Sorry to learn of your struggles with DPN. I hope you find continued and further comfort wearing your new ortho shoes. Congrats on the 2min walk, it's a great accomplishment and I wish you continued success on achieving your 11 min goal!

Best wishes, Welcome!
  • tdesaussure
    Options
    My name is Tonya and I do not have diabetes but have recently been told I am pre-diabetic. I took immediate actions and didn't wait for the general heathcare diabetic course with a registered dietician (next class was a 3 weeks to a month away). I paid a slightly higher cost for a one on one session. So far, I have followed the advice very closely. I am monitoring my carb intake (no more than 100-130 carbs per day). As a result, I am losing weight and I am periodically checking my glucose levels. I have not had a spike since making these changes. All my results have been very normal. A few in the discomfort zone on the before meal check but drop after a meal. One thing that took the pressure off the carb restrictioon was her telling me to disregard the sugar levels in the food, the calorie count, etc and to only concentrate on the carbs. She said when carbs are measured all of these counts are taken into consideration. It works for me. Myfitnesspal has also been heaven sent. Unlike Weight Watchers online application and site, I love the fact that it tracks everything to include carbs. Weight Watchers only tracked the calories (not knocking Weight Watchers). In this situation, it is important for me to pay attention to my carbs. In the pre-diabetic stage, I do not plan to ever enter the diabetic stage which is why I joined this group. I want to read and learn from people who have experiences and lesson learneds or new discoveries that I can choose to consider without the pressure of getting people to close into my business in face to face conversations. My goal in this group is to receive education.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Jeannine and I was just diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I don't have extreme fluctuations in my blood sugar so my doctor and I are hoping to get things under control with diet and exercise. I was very excited to see a group in MFP that I can turn to for help. There are so many little details about food that I am not sure about.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.
  • Caledonia65
    Caledonia65 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hello. My name is Charlotte and I am 49 years old from Denmark. I got diagnosed with diabetes in 2010. My father had it and my brother was diagnosed about the same time as I was.

I have lost through Madlog 55,11 lbs, and now I am started here and I have lost already about 7 lbs.

I do not eat animal fat, if I can avoid it, or sugar, but I tend to overeat. But so far operate this program really well for me.

Charlotte
  • Wendydelmo
    Wendydelmo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone!

I'm Wendy, I'm 44,and live in Connecticut. I have 2 kids, 3 dogs, 3 cats, and a husband. Oh, and I have T2 diabetes. I found out yesterday I've joined the ranks of every older female in my family. My dad is insulin dependent T2.

So, I've been thrown for a loop, and and still in the fact gathering stage. To say I'm scared is an understatement. I am also pissed off, annoyed, sad, frustrated and determined.

I'm hoping to find some friends and some support as I get started trying to learn what I need to learn about diabetes!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi Wendy!

It's very natural to feel scared. Take this as an opportunity to get things on track. For me, being diagnosed was a blessing in disguise. I'm the fittest I've been in 20 years.

After the gathering stage you might feel you're in the hopeless stage because everything will feel so confusing. You will read so much that is conflicting. I think most everyone on here will agree that daily exercise and testing your blood often are big components to numbers control.

I am a big fan of Dr. Bernstein's book and highly recommend you add that to your research. On the flip side, I oppose the American Diabetes Association and their 1980's propaganda. I researched my endocrinologist who was more in line with Dr. B's treatments and is current with modern medical studies. I now run non-daibetic numbers but always know I'm only a plate of pasta away from being in the diabetic zone.

I guess what I'm trying to say is being scared is natural but seize the day, find a good primary care doctor or Endo who isn't stuck in the 80's and eat to your meter.

P.S. what are your starting numbers (i.e., fasting glucose and a1c)?
  • Wendydelmo
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome!

I will check out that book- Amazon will be my next step! I was looking at the ADA site and seeing things I wasn't sure of. I'm more into healthy eating, clean eating, and all i can think of is my Dad (Type 2, insulin dependent) chowing down splenda & sweet & low.

I hate that it takes so long to get an appointment with the Diabetes Educator, but I think I'll use some common sense lessons and advice I'm reading here, and make changes before that,.

My number were (fasting) 313, and A1c was 10.6. I am taking 500 mg of Metformin, at night, but now I know to take with my dinner!

Thanks again for any suggestions you can give me!

Wendy
  • Peloton73
    Options

My number were (fasting) 313, and A1c was 10.6. I am taking 500 mg of Metformin, at night, but now I know to take with my dinner!

Thanks again for any suggestions you can give me!

Wendy

I'm glad you're not sitting around. Keep up the good work and with a round turn on things, you should start seeing your numbers drop pretty quick. :)
  • Wendydelmo
    Options
    I made an experiment this morning with oatmeal. Spiked my sugar 1 hour later, to 345! So, YIKES! No more oatmeal for me for a while. It was a good experiment, though, I was able to see a real difference in how food is effecting my sugar.
  • Wendydelmo
    Options
    2nd part of the experiment_ I took a 1 mole walk. Down to 306! Now it's time for lunch.
  • Peloton73
    Options
    What kind of oatmeal? Rolled, steel cut, plain, flavored?
  • Wendydelmo
    Options
    it was instant natural organic apple cinnimon oatmeal. I had told the dr, being sarcastic, GREAT-- I just made a Costco run and got my favorite oatmeal. She told me that I might be able to have it.- to try it. So, I tried it, and fail! I think I'll wait a bit and just have eggs for breakfast for now. :) I'll try again another time with steel cut oats, I think, homemade.
  • twentiesbrunette
    twentiesbrunette Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Debra. I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes about 5 years ago. I have been in the denial stage for almost that long. I have also been hiding my diabetes from friends, work, & everyone with the exception of my mother & husband. I know this may sound terrible but just a few months ago I had a co-worker who was so open about her diabetes but I just couldn't bring myself to share that I too had diabetes. Don't get me wrong I do understand how serious it is I have like 10 books on it & I do take my Metformin nightly (1500 ER) but it just makes me mostly depressed when I talk about it, so I don't.

However, things are changing for me know, I just hit my 37th birthday (even though I feel & act like I am 28) & my loving husband bought me a fitbit! This has started a whole new journey I love being able to track my exercise so easily & then pair it up to my fitness pal so that I can track my food easily too! In the two weeks, I have been using both tools I have lost weight but more importantly my blood sugar levels are lower after fasting & in between meals. I am still working on the mental side of things like letting people know that I have this disease & reaching out. That is why I took the step in joining this group. I have never joined a group before so please go easy on me, ok?
  • Wendydelmo
    Options
    Hi, Debra! I'm Wendy- and I'm new to the group (and Diabetes, too!) This seems like a great group. Welcome!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    Back again after my first vacation in five years. I took two weeks to be with family, but boy did my diet eat it! I wasn't in control--lots of meals out (which I don't do very much) and not a lot of experience on ordering appropriately. I'm back home-cooking for myself mostly so I know what I'm eating. Any suggestions on how to order appropriately would be appreciated as I have a holiday trip in December and want to do better! Don
  • Wendydelmo
    Options
    Don,
    I'm following along on this topic as we are headed to Disney on a few weeks! :smile: