New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• mrron2u
    mrron2u Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    Back again after my first vacation in five years. I took two weeks to be with family, but boy did my diet eat it! I wasn't in control--lots of meals out (which I don't do very much) and not a lot of experience on ordering appropriately. I'm back home-cooking for myself mostly so I know what I'm eating. Any suggestions on how to order appropriately would be appreciated as I have a holiday trip in December and want to do better! Don

Eating out properly is easy for me, but it's probably because I almost never eat at home.

A couple of strategies that might help:
    -Ask for substitutes for the carbs (I ask for extra veggies in place of rice or potatoes).
    -Watch the low fat and fat free salad dressings. It's better to have real ranch or blue cheese in a smaller quantity than to get low-fat or fat free as those types of dressings often have more sugar to make them taste better.
    -Drink water or unsweetened tea.
    -At Mexican restaurants I ask for lettuce/diced tomato in place of the rice and beans. Add a little salsa and you have a little salad on the side.
    -Share with someone. My wife would always want to share and I would say no back when I didn't care about my calories/carbs. Now we share often and I can have something with carbs, just half of it instead of the whole plate. And the bill gets cheaper.
    -If you can't share (dining alone or no one wants the same thing) just cut the food in half and put the rest in a to go box right away.
    -when I know in advance where we are eating I try to get online and look up the menu and pre-enter everything into my tracker.
    -don't be afraid to ask for more time when you are ordering. At first my wife got annoyed with me because I'd look up stuff to check values (when I was first learning what was safe and what I should avoid). I just kept pushing on that I needed more time. Eventually I got better at locating good options on a menu faster.

If I think of more I'll add them!
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody,
    Back again after my first vacation in five years. I took two weeks to be with family, but boy did my diet eat it! I wasn't in control--lots of meals out (which I don't do very much) and not a lot of experience on ordering appropriately. I'm back home-cooking for myself mostly so I know what I'm eating. Any suggestions on how to order appropriately would be appreciated as I have a holiday trip in December and want to do better! Don

Eating out properly is easy for me, but it's probably because I almost never eat at home.

A couple of strategies that might help:
    -Ask for substitutes for the carbs (I ask for extra veggies in place of rice or potatoes).
    -Watch the low fat and fat free salad dressings. It's better to have real ranch or blue cheese in a smaller quantity than to get low-fat or fat free as those types of dressings often have more sugar to make them taste better.
    -Drink water or unsweetened tea.
    -At Mexican restaurants I ask for lettuce/diced tomato in place of the rice and beans. Add a little salsa and you have a little salad on the side.
    -Share with someone. My wife would always want to share and I would say no back when I didn't care about my calories/carbs. Now we share often and I can have something with carbs, just half of it instead of the whole plate. And the bill gets cheaper.
    -If you can't share (dining alone or no one wants the same thing) just cut the food in half and put the rest in a to go box right away.
    -when I know in advance where we are eating I try to get online and look up the menu and pre-enter everything into my tracker.
    -don't be afraid to ask for more time when you are ordering. At first my wife got annoyed with me because I'd look up stuff to check values (when I was first learning what was safe and what I should avoid). I just kept pushing on that I needed more time. Eventually I got better at locating good options on a menu faster.

If I think of more I'll add them!

WoW! These are great ideas. I would have done better. Thanks, Don
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Don,
    I'm following along on this topic as we are headed to Disney on a few weeks! :smile:

Wendy-Have a grand time at Disney. It's been awhile since I've been there, but have fond memories. Don
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with diabetes on Saturday... currently waiting for my doctor to submit a referral to a endocrinology clinic... as a "stop gap" I am taking 250 mg of Metaformin(?) 3 times/day...
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed with diabetes on Saturday... currently waiting for my doctor to submit a referral to a endocrinology clinic... as a "stop gap" I am taking 250 mg of Metaformin(?) 3 times/day...

Its good your doctor is sending you to an Endo...they are very qualified to give you the care you need. My doctor is knowledgeable concerning diabetes so he treats me. Make a list of questions to ask before you go to your appointment. Discuss all your concerns.

I was diagnosed in May of 2011 and I take 1000 mg of Metformin twice a day. It actually helps me with weight loss, so I don't mind taking it.
  • Rollingstone577
    Options
    Hello. I am Ron and was diagnosed w/T2D 2 weeks ago. They failed my CDL physical certificate until my numbers go down. Day 1, I was @ 300mg + A1c @ 12.7. 2 weeks later, today I am @ 161mg + A1c @ 8.1. I was put on Metformin x2 and Glipizide x2. I was told I can get my job back after I get my A1c number below 10. I'm not sure how I am progressing in the big picture, but am happy I have kept my A1c below 10. I've been watching my carbs and getting at least 30 mins. of exorcise a day. Mostly walking.
    As a truckdriver, it can be very difficult to eat right and get the proper exorcise. Truck companies claim they want you to be healthy, yet give you loads that are so tight, you rarely have time to pull into a rest area to use the restroom much less stop to eat or exorcise. By the end of the day. you're so tired from being thrown around and stress, you just want to lay down and unwind instead of exorcising. So when I get back, some changes will be made. They are going to HAVE to allow me more time during the day to take care of my health needs. As someone who had stayed in shape, outside of age progression, I find my current health situation embarrassing. So I am going into this battle in full force.
  • clairegreen74
    clairegreen74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Claire just found out I'm diabetic ,I'm presuming I'm type 2 ,won't know till I see my nurse on Monday,a bit scared tbh,need to lose like 7 stone xxhello to you all
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hello. I am Ron and was diagnosed w/T2D 2 weeks ago. They failed my CDL physical certificate until my numbers go down. Day 1, I was @ 300mg + A1c @ 12.7. 2 weeks later, today I am @ 161mg + A1c @ 8.1. I was put on Metformin x2 and Glipizide x2. I was told I can get my job back after I get my A1c number below 10. I'm not sure how I am progressing in the big picture, but am happy I have kept my A1c below 10. I've been watching my carbs and getting at least 30 mins. of exorcise a day. Mostly walking.
    As a truckdriver, it can be very difficult to eat right and get the proper exorcise. Truck companies claim they want you to be healthy, yet give you loads that are so tight, you rarely have time to pull into a rest area to use the restroom much less stop to eat or exorcise. By the end of the day. you're so tired from being thrown around and stress, you just want to lay down and unwind instead of exorcising. So when I get back, some changes will be made. They are going to HAVE to allow me more time during the day to take care of my health needs. As someone who had stayed in shape, outside of age progression, I find my current health situation embarrassing. So I am going into this battle in full force.

Hi there Ron, Welcome!

Congratulations on your A1C improvement in such a short time period. I'm confident you're looking forward to returning work as soon as possible. It's great you're monitoring your carbs and fitting in some sort of exercise whenever possible.

A great tool to help you manage this condition better is a blood glucose meter designed to track your blood sugars by testing before and after meals, to learn what impacts the food choices you've made have on your blood sugars.

If you're health insured, find out what brand of meters and test strips are covered under your plan. If you're not insured, and you're in the US, Walmart sells their ReliOn Prime brand of meters and strips I've found to be reliable, accurate and economical too.
    Meters under $17 and strips at $9 for 50 strips.

bloodsugar101.com is a great online resource designed to help and answer some of the questions you might have, easing your confusion and frustration.

Best wishes towards your continued success and good health!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi I'm Claire just found out I'm diabetic ,I'm presuming I'm type 2 ,won't know till I see my nurse on Monday,a bit scared tbh,need to lose like 7 stone xxhello to you all

Hi Claire, and hello to you too!

An initial diagnosis of diabetes, whatever the type can bring with it a wide range of common human emotions. Please know you're not alone here. Our community is eager to share our various experiences, knowledge, support and encouragement living life successfully with T2D.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/ Is a great comprehensive on line resource for you to check out, if you haven't already.

Welcome!.
  • derbycitylady
    derbycitylady Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Kim. I am Type 2 or T2 as I have learned here today. I was diagnosed 8 years ago and only getting serious this month, this year. My doctor was astounded that my A1C was 13%. I wasn't. I knew I had been eating anything I wanted as much as I wanted. I have cut back with the help of MFP. Making better choices. My doctor currently has me on Janumet and Glimeperide, I have also been walking as exercise and it has really helped. I hope this forum helps as well.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Kim, welcome to our community!

I'm glad you're getting serious about your diagnosis, making better choices now, and fitting in some exercise whenever possible too. Good for you!

This is an active community with it's members eager to share their knowledge, experiences, offering genuine encouragement and support with one another.

Sharing your experiences and contributions are warmly welcomed.

Best wishes on your life's journey to good health!
  • janellfelker
    janellfelker Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My name is Janell and I have had type 2 for about 10 years; the first 5-6 I kept it under control with diet and now take meds. I am always eager to learn tips from the pros or people who have experienced it.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My name is Janell and I have had type 2 for about 10 years; the first 5-6 I kept it under control with diet and now take meds. I am always eager to learn tips from the pros or people who have experienced it.

Welcome Janet. I'm Nikki and have also been T2 for about 10 years ... and have been on medication for it for most of that time. I hope you find the friends and knowldege you are seeking. Actually, after controlling your T2 for 5-6 years with diet, you probably have a wealth of knowledge to share,
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I should introduce myself. I was diagnosed as prediabetic the first time I took an a1c in 2011. It was 5.8 then. Since then in 2012 it has come down to 5.6. This year I've lost 19 pounds. I have 7 more pounds to go when I'll be in the normal weight range. I've started eating a ketogenic diet and really exercising hard (HIIT, jogging, P90X), so I hope my a1c is better. I have a father with T2 who is skinny. His diabetes doesn't appear to be related to weight. IR seems to run in his side of the family. His T2 was uncontrolled for years (he hated to test himself, so he didn't and his lousy endo never really questioned him on the really high a1c), so now he has only 35% kidney function left. Luckily, he doesn't need dialysis, but has to take a kidney sparing diet in addition to his diabetic diet. I just want to avoid ever being in his shoes as far as T2 goes.
  • gasmith50
    gasmith50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a T2 Diabetic for about three years and I can't seem to get my eating under control. I have joined so many diets and bought so many books, and I have participated in weight loss contests and online diet bets. As soon as the contest/bet is over, I gain everything back. I am an emotional/stress eater and I might even be a food addict. I am watching what diabetes does to a person because my Mother is really suffering. I don't want diabetes to do that to me. I am depressed, I have no energy, and all I want to do is sleep.

BUT I'M FINALLY GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Because this is in MY control. I have 70 lbs to lose and I would like to lose it slowly over the next year while learning portion control, self control, etc. I'm going to log everything that goes into my mouth on MFP, and I'm going to shoot for one hour of activity every single day. I know it might take a while, but I will start feeling better.

I'm starting today.
  • LadyOdd
    LadyOdd Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Stacy. I have recently gotten back on MFP when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in September. My journey is just beginning and I have a long way to go. Not really sure if I am eating correctly and my fasting blood sugar has been high the past 3 days. I just started testing.
    I have seen my diabetic educator and I am trying to do all of the things he told me to do. So right now it's just about trying to get things going correctly. I found this group for support, which I think will really help me out. My pcp did not put me on any medication and my A1C was 6.6 at the beginning of September. My Dr hopes I can bring that number down by December so I won't have to be put on any medication. I have my fingers crossed. At this moment I'm feeling overwhelmed by it because so far my numbers aren't great.
    I will keep trying until I get it right :wink:
    I just wanted to introduce myself and hope to meet some great friends!
  • justcindy59
    justcindy59 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this group this morning. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 3 or 4 years ago. The most I have been doing about it is taking metformin 850 two times a day. Haven't really been testing my sugars much but my last a1c was 7.1. After spending all day reading this form I can see I really need to get serious about it. I have not had a good experience with the Metformin, it is very hard on my intestines and need to talk my Dr. into giving me a different medication. Any way I'm so stressed about all this new information and need to learn so much more on how to control this disease . If any one could tell me about a different med that is popular and safe , I would like to know it before I see my doctor again. All my complaining about the metformin has got me is the lower dose of 850 down from 1000 twice a day. Thank you....Cindy
  • NK1112
    Options
    Just discovered this group this morning. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 3 or 4 years ago. The most I have been doing about it is taking metformin 850 two times a day. Haven't really been testing my sugars much but my last a1c was 7.1. After spending all day reading this form I can see I really need to get serious about it. I have not had a good experience with the Metformin, it is very hard on my intestines and need to talk my Dr. into giving me a different medication. Any way I'm so stressed about all this new information and need to learn so much more on how to control this disease . If any one could tell me about a different med that is popular and safe , I would like to know it before I see my doctor again. All my complaining about the metformin has got me is the lower dose of 850 down from 1000 twice a day. Thank you....Cindy

You might consider asking for Metformin HCL ER ... the ER means extended release ... and they do not affect the intestines the same way ... or so I've been told. You also only take the pill(s) one time a day. I know someone who gets them for about $9.00 a month at Walmart.

That being said ... don't get the 1000 mg ER metformin because the cost of those is sky-high. You can get lower doses and take more than one tablet.

Good luck
  • NK1112
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Stacy. I have recently gotten back on MFP when I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in September. My journey is just beginning and I have a long way to go. Not really sure if I am eating correctly and my fasting blood sugar has been high the past 3 days. I just started testing.
    I have seen my diabetic educator and I am trying to do all of the things he told me to do. So right now it's just about trying to get things going correctly. I found this group for support, which I think will really help me out. My pcp did not put me on any medication and my A1C was 6.6 at the beginning of September. My Dr hopes I can bring that number down by December so I won't have to be put on any medication. I have my fingers crossed. At this moment I'm feeling overwhelmed by it because so far my numbers aren't great.
    I will keep trying until I get it right :wink:
    I just wanted to introduce myself and hope to meet some great friends!

Hi and welcome Stacy ... I also am a T2 Diabetic and my doctor is happy when my AiC is under 7.0 .. and delirously happy when it comes in around 6.5 .... cause below that number you are considered as insulin resitant and not full-blown diabetic type 2 .. ... don't know if I buy into that though ... cause once you have this you can control it but it never goes away.

The way you control it is through diet and exercise ... the better you diet and the more regular your activity level ... the better your liver and pancreas work with the sugar from both your food and what your own body produces.

I say sugar because, in th end, everything you eat ... be it carbohydrate, protein, or fat ... will be converted to sugar in your body cause that's the fuel it runs on. Keeping a close watch on the packaged and processed food you eat, especially those that contain grains and flours will help a lot to keep your numbers lower.

Also ... have you been feeling well the past few days? Being sick will make your glucose levels rise. Good luck.
  • NK1112
    Options
    I have been a T2 Diabetic for about three years and I can't seem to get my eating under control. I have joined so many diets and bought so many books, and I have participated in weight loss contests and online diet bets. As soon as the contest/bet is over, I gain everything back. I am an emotional/stress eater and I might even be a food addict. I am watching what diabetes does to a person because my Mother is really suffering. I don't want diabetes to do that to me. I am depressed, I have no energy, and all I want to do is sleep.

BUT I'M FINALLY GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! Because this is in MY control. I have 70 lbs to lose and I would like to lose it slowly over the next year while learning portion control, self control, etc. I'm going to log everything that goes into my mouth on MFP, and I'm going to shoot for one hour of activity every single day. I know it might take a while, but I will start feeling better.

I'm starting today.

Good for you!
    Boy, do I know what you are talking about! I'm with you on your plan .. except my hour of activity includes common things like straightening up the house or cleaning ... and grocery shopping .... My doctor said the best form of activity for activities sake for me is just to take a walk ... like an hour after a meal around the block or two.