Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great work, CW!!!!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Planned on a 3km swim this morning and ended up doing a 5km one. 3.5 km free and 1.5km mix back and breaststroke. Feeling shattered now, but in a good way.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Fantastic swim, Panda, nice job!!!!

No swim today, & no walk because it's pouring rain. Off in a little while to watch my daughter at an invitational swim meet with her school team :D
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Swam a mile today. Still not used to the chlorine -- really made my eyes burn during the first 10 laps, then I seemed to get used to it. I'd planned on going a little longer, but cut it short for various reason. Still, it's great to be back in the water!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Good start, Lemur!!!! Do you use goggles?
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    No. I'm having a horribly stressful and time-consuming time with my Aged Parents, and have not made much progress on my usual twice weekly or so 1k or so. Certainly nothing I want to tell others about.

But - I am using PRETENDING I AM SWIMMING as a great way to help me get to sleep.... does that count?!

Last night I did a great butterfly set.. All with perfect technique. (In my dreams....).

Well done all of us regular swimmers. And thanks to you Big Swimmers for inspiring the less ambitious of us in the group. I certainly enjoy reading your exploits and enthusiasm.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    1.5k free saturday and 1k today.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    2.4 km - 66 minutes :-(
    1/4 free and 3/4 IM
    Pain in the elbows right from the get go! Have to find out what could be causing that...
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    2km this morning (3/4's crawl and 1/4 mix breast/back). Pool was busy for a Monday (normally its the quietest day of the week).

Never had elbow pain whilst swimming - hope you get that sorted soon Aquatic.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    2km this morning (3/4's crawl and 1/4 mix breast/back). Pool was busy for a Monday (normally its the quietest day of the week).

Never had elbow pain whilst swimming - hope you get that sorted soon Aquatic.

I've had shoulder pain in the past, but elbow pain is new.
    It appears there is a thing called swimmer's elbow ( https://www.google.com/search?q=elbow+pain+from+swimming&rlz=1C9BKJA_enKE605KE605&oq=elbow+pain+from+swimming&aqs=chrome..69i57j0j5j0&sourceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US) and butterfly and break stroke seem to be the main culprits!

Will probably need to look at my technique, or what I did in the gym!

In the meantime may stick to freestyle (and leave out the other strokes) for the time being, to try and rest the elbows!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Off Battery Rocks in Penzance, UK. The sea is chilled now as autumn approaches winter, but still exhilarating!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Great job, everybody!!!! AQ - definitely rest the elbows, that worked for my shoulders when I first started back up & put too much strain on them. Then I was directed to the strengthening exercises, & they've been fine since. Take a close look at the gym work, especially the techniques involved to see if that's where the problem is.....

Swam today, made sure I got down there even though it's a holiday since I'm probably missing 2 days this week. Getting into a bad time of year for getting to swim, I'm losing 3 days next week to work, 4 the week after for a medical treatment & possibly 3 straight weeks right after that for a big job at work - waiting for it to get scheduled.....

Today's workout: 250 Free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 300 free, 2 x 200 I.M., 3 x 100 I.M., 1000 free, 500 free, 250 free in 97 minutes.....
  • GreenNetha1
    GreenNetha1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I swam today. 20 minutes freestyle. I met two very nice swimmers also and spoke to them about their technique as it was far better than mine. It was a very inspirational morning :)
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Fantastic, GreenNetha!!!
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Good one GreenN - always good to get advice where you can.

Swam my normal 2km this morning. That was fine, but then in the gym showers I had a slight accident which resulted in me banging my forehead on the edge of the shower door. Now I am at work I can see a lovely mini-egg bruise has appeared and is starting to throb. No signs of concussion yet (I have had that before so know what its like) but will be keeping a close eye on any symptoms. Fingers crossed it remains a colourful lump and doesn't cause problems!
  • Macstraw
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Fingers crossed, as requested, Panda - hope you're OK.....

Swam today, all freestyle: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes....
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    It worked Macdtraw-head is fine so got up for my normal 2km swim this morning. Thanks for the finger crossing.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Outdoor pool has opened here in Tasmania so am back in the outdoor swimming.
    Ironically it was the coldest weather for awhile (pool's heated though, Tasmania is colder than the rest of Australia).
    I am currently doing 3kms/60 laps 2 days on/1 day off. As I was getting a bit fatigued.
    Love the outdoor swim after a winter indoors. Sun on the bottom of the pool!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @ 74 min., was having chlorine withdrawal.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Glad to hear you're feeling better, Panda :smile:
    Great to hear you can get outdoors now, Roaringgael!!!

No swim today, my wife & son both had teeth pulled yesterday so I stayed home to get my daughter off to school. I did get a walk in after dropping her off, now it's time to get ready for work. Back to the pool tomorrow, hoping Friday's job is late enough that I can get my swim in before we have to leave.....