MFP Winter Omnium Challenges - Results now in...

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
edited March 2015 in Social Groups
From November 1st, it's time for the "off season" challenges.

Last year I ran a series as follows:
  • Base Distance Challenge
  • Hour-and-A-Lap Cross Challenge
  • Indoor Cycling Challenge
  • Rule #9 Commuter Challenge

Now, problem is, I can't actually remember exactly how we based the calculations, and of course MFP has thrown last years challenge out with the bathwater.

I Can remember that the Cross Challenge was points based, 1 point for a ride of over a hour that had a "gratuitous loop" large enough to show up on strava, or 2 points if it was "substantially" offroad.

The Indoor Cycling Challenge was predicated on Calories burned iirc, I seem to remember it being 1 point for every 500kcals for the Lads, and something lower (350kcal rings a bell somehow) for the Laydeez

Rule #9 was easy, it was simply cumulative Km's then divided by 50 to give a points value at the end of the challenge.

But, for the life of me, I can't remember what the points were allocated for on the Base Distance one. If anyone can remember how I worked it, please let me know.

Oh - and if anyone's got a suggestion for some sort of challenge that I've missed out on, and how it could work, please also let me know...

But I guess, what this post really is, is a "heads up" and a "who's in"

Replies

• Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Fantastic - this could be the kick up the butt I need....I'm in :-) Will be the Indoor Cycling challenge (think you're right with 350 cals for laydeez) and Rule #9 Commuting challenge! Cheers TBY. Any help required, gimme a shout!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Yup! Sign me up!
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    In for the rule #9 challenge!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    I think this was last years results sheet... if it may jog anyones memory of how the hell I scored the "base distance" bit... From a quick cross reference to my ride log from the period, it appears to be based on either time in the saddle (i.e. 1 point for every 3 hour ride, 2 points for a 4 and so on... but I didn't apparently DO any really long rides to check it... maybe Jason @Jakess1971 may be able to shed a little more light on it.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Count me in - I need a decent challenge to keep me moving.
  • harksy
    harksy Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Good stuff Base Distance & Cross challenge for me
    I think the base distance last year was 1 point for every 50k?
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Actually really like this one, great winter motivation, I'm in for the Base Distance, yep it was 50km for 1 point, more points for bigger distances I think but 50km always did me.

I'll also have a crack at the Indoor this year and the commuter will fill in the gaps.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay - first installment started...

Indoor Trainer Discussion Thread Here

Indoor Trainer Logging Thread Here
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I need something to get my *kitten* on the trainer... I don't have a way to prove I ride the trainer... Is that an issue with this challenge? My HR monitor doesn't upload data...
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Suppose I could take a photo of my HR display and post it. It would show duration and calories burned...
  • banshee1013
    banshee1013 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I hope to be in - I sure could use some riding time to alleviate some of the accumulated stress over the past 6 weeks... just got a new car and my old bike rack (which was falling apart anyway) doesn't fit on it, so I have to get a new one, and no funding to provide. I'll do my best :)
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Count me in for the Rule #9 challenge. It would be fun to see how Rule 9 folks are but can't think of a way to capture that. I keep track of ride temps in my home spreadsheet and if weather is especially terrible, but really don't know how to measure that against anyone else. Just a thought.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Suppose I could take a photo of my HR display and post it. It would show duration and calories burned...

that'd do fine

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Count me in for the Rule #9 challenge. It would be fun to see how Rule 9 folks are but can't think of a way to capture that. I keep track of ride temps in my home spreadsheet and if weather is especially terrible, but really don't know how to measure that against anyone else. Just a thought.

Garmin Connect has a weather/temperature feature - Strava only logs the average temperature, but I think that it's pretty implicit that if you're in the northern hemisphere and riding 4-5 hour rides, you're well into rule#9 territory (unless you're in some of the more tropical bits of the states I guess...)

• TheBigYin
    Options
    Second Instalment of Challenges now open

Commuter Challenge Discussion Thread Here

Commuter Challenge Logging Thread Here

Cross Challenge Discussion Thread Here

Cross Challenge Logging Thread Here
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I am in for the base distance challenge. No can do the Rule 9 challenge since I cannot ride to work and CentralCali doesn't really qualify for Rule 9 anyway.
  • Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Mark do you have a spreadsheet running with point totals across the challenges? In the interest of fun and competitiveness it might be interesting to see a combined points tally across the challenges to see how we all stack up this Winter.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    there will be, yes, however i've been somewhat distracted over the last couple of weeks. I'll get something sorted soon...
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    okay folks - new spreadsheet, logging for the use of, created and available for viewing here - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nFe3yhPER06uHif1AkaRPYluLzBQCXC_Q-_pe4eC2uY/edit?usp=sharing