Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    W7D1 was done yesterday. 2.5 miles of running in 28 minutes (about 11 min/mile) :)
    W7D2 is done. Did 2.5 miles in 27 minutes :)

• Aine8046
    Options
    jsandie76 wrote: »
    W8D2 Done! One more run left before graduation. We planned on being done today but its really been rainy lately, so we've had to "reschedule" the runs.
    Awesome! You are almost there!

• Aine8046
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    I just started 5k to 10k today. I had to remember the slow down mantra. It jumped me up from 30 minutes of running with five blocks of 8 minutes running with a one minute rest between each block. I can definitely see how this is going to improve my 5k.
    Nice! I was wondering what should I do after I am done with the program. The problem is it's getting colder every day where I live. Soon there will be snow and very cold days. Not sure if I want to run during the winter time...
  • Aine8046
    Options

Yesterday I went across town and got fitted for running shoes. My dear MFP friends, what a difference!! When the consultant asked me to run for a little bit with the fitted shoes, I could not believe the difference! Since I had no idea what kind of shoes I needed, I would have never picked these by myself. Can't wait to use my new shoes on my next run tomorrow. @snbouchard81: you are so right! Because of my past ankle injuries they could see that my feet needed more support to prevent injuries. Thank you!
    I need to do it too. I am still running in my old snickers... :)

• jenyounk
    jenyounk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 Day 3 today. This is my first time doing this program. The last 2 years I have run multiple 5k, 10k, & 2 half marathons. But due to some injuries, I didn't run much over the last 5 months & lost all my endurance. I like having a program to follow & so far I am finding it easy.
  • jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options

upsaluki - Thanks! Yes I am still doing the running clinic, although there wasn't one this Monday, since in Canada it was Thanksgiving.

I actually went to get a new pair of shoes the other day, and went for a short run with them. I came home and I was in PAIN! My hips feel like they are on fire still, one day later. I took the shoes back today. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those running stores that check your gait and give you suggestions for the proper shoes. I don't know what I should do, and I'm afraid to go through the same thing a second time.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I did week 1 day 2 of 5k210k this morning.

It was 40 here this morning. I found this shirt for $22 on amazon. ASICS Men's Thermopolis LT 1/2 Zip Top I've used it several times and it's really nice. They've had them around $20 in select sizes and colors since I've been watching the last month.
    As winter approaches I picked up two of these shirts for $20 each ASICS Men's Thermopolis LT Hoody

I think I will try yaktrax pros out when it starts snowing here in Wisconsin.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Although today was W7D3, I actually ran a 5K. I was kinda disappointed with my performance. My goal was under 40min, but my time was 44:26. Given the fact that the course included a mowed pasture (uneven, bumpy surface), gravel roads (uneven, bumpy surface), across 2 RR crossings (more uneven, bumpy surfaces) and I am running with a wonky left knee, I guess I didn't do too badly.
  • Aine8046
    Options
    Week 7 Day 3 is done. Two more weeks :)
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Finished the program over the weekend. It was a really proud moment for me. I was recalling back to the first week when I was thinking that it was tough to get through the 1 min of jogging at the end of the first day. It feels good. It's proof the program works if you work the program.

On my last day I ran almost a complete 5k during the running period of the program (no warm up/cool down counted).

THANKS A TON to the contributors of this thread. It helps to find motivation and share your successes and failures along the way with people doing the same. I am going to run a 5k distance a few times this week, and next week start the 10k program. Also signing up for a Turkey Trot (Thanks for the suggestion on that @Upsaluki)

I wanted to post my reports from the first one to the last run. So people can see that a lot can change from W1D1 to W8D3 (I started to use a different tracking app half way through)

Week 1 Day 1:
    vob2on13owod.jpg

Week 8 Day 3:
    du2lljnq6zlf.png

56278952.png
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Good stuff with everyone. I'm on the road here in MA and I'm not sure if I'll find a quiet are to run tomorrow and Thursday.
  • jsandie76
    Options
    I am so frustrated at the moment! I am one run away from graduation, but unfortunately I went out and bought a new pair of shoes last week, and they really ended up messing me up. My hips were on fire, and my knees were hurting. It took DAYS for me to be able to walk normally again. After feeling pretty good for a few days, I figured I was up to going out running tonight with my running clinic, which is a short run. I was wearing my old shoes, as I took the other ones back to the store. But halfway through the run, one of my hips started burning again. I had to walk the rest of the route back to the start, and I am now back on my butt for at least a couple more days. I just want to have this over and done with so I can get on with my running! I cheered at a local marathon on the weekend and I was so incredibly inspired to see the diversity and comradely of the people, I just can't wait to be one of them!
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    @jsandie76 so sorry to hear that your shoe change made such a big impact on your performance. Was it a different brand of shoes?
  • jsandie76
    Options
    Thanks snbouchard81 - yes.... before this I was wearing a pair of Sketchers... they are more walking shoes than running shoes, but they were comfortable, so until they were ready to be replaced I kept using them. The new ones were New Balance. I have an issue with supination (I tend to walk on the outside of my feet instead of rolling to the inside) so finding a good pair of shoes is not easy.
  • chesnity3
    chesnity3 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Week7 day1 completed today.
  • yourfriendchristine
    Options
    Ok So I have done things a bit backwards. I have never ran a 5K event but just finished my 3rd 1/2 marathon this past weekend. I did 3 min run/1 min walk intervals for most of the Nike SF 1/2 and beat my time from my last Disney 1/2 marathon by 5 mins and my last year's Nike 1/2 marathon run by 15 min so I was happy especially since they had some pretty killer hills on mile 2 and mile 10 was basically almost vertical for 1/2 a mile :(

I am currently still working on completing the Ease into 5k program and my next run is supposed to be 20 min of running. My question is since I did the 1/2 and need to take a couple days off to recover should I repeat a day earlier in the program and then move forward again or just continue with my next scheduled run for the 20 min?
  • TowsonChuck
    TowsonChuck Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    @cdwyer74 I missed two workouts do to vacation, Where I did no running, so I repeated the work out before just to have a fresh start.

Since you just ran a Half, I would say just go into your next scheduled day of the program.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @cdwyer74 I missed two workouts do to vacation, Where I did no running, so I repeated the work out before just to have a fresh start.

Since you just ran a Half, I would say just go into your next scheduled day of the program.

Yep. You can always repeat this one if you have problems. Also remember to slow down.

• yourfriendchristine
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

Yep. You can always repeat this one if you have problems. Also remember to slow down.

Thank you both! I am going to take one more day off since I am still sore and then go for the 20 min to see how it goes.
  • debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Finally done week 5 day 3. I've been dreading it, but in actual fact I loved it.