General Q&A Thread

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Got any general questions for Sara and I? Post them here. Consider this a quick and dirty general Q/A.

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In...
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    What weights (weight amounts) should we buy if we are starting strength training at home? And does the brand/type matter? Thanks :)
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    Question about protein powder:

My protein powder says "do not exceed 2 servings in a 24-hour period"; and a serving is 1-2 scoops (44-88 grams). Is the warning because we shouldn't consume more than 176 grams of the protein powder (120 grams of actual protein) or that we should only have two times during the day that we consume the powder? Is this warning reasonable? I would like to take 1 scoop 3-4 times a day ... Thanks :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What weights (weight amounts) should we buy if we are starting strength training at home? And does the brand/type matter? Thanks :)

It really depends on space, budget and where you are in your lifting as well as what program you are on.

You can make it as simple as body weight program, where you pretty much do not need anything to a very equipped home gym with a power cage, barbells, bench and a bunch of other stuff.

The first question I would ask is whether someone has the space/budget for a barbell and squat rack/cage and what routine they are looking to do.

Regarding the brand, it really depends on what equipment you are referring to, and again, what weights will be lifted. For example, my power cage is a cheapy one - even though I squat quite a bit for a female, it is still fine for the weights I am lifting. The same cage would not be sturdy enough for people who squats 500lb+ on the regular. I need a good flat bench however due to how I bench and the fact that I compete. For someone starting out - this is less important (but you may want to start out with a better quality one if you think you will be continuing for a while). Another example are plates for a barbell. plates are plates - however, I find grip plates (ones with holes in so you can grip them easier) much more flexible and easier to handle. The holes allow you to also use instead of DBs in some instances.

All that is kind of vague I realize. Do be a bit more specific, how much space do you have, do you have a pretty limited budget or not, and what program are you doing?

• ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Space isn't an issue as I have two entire rooms unused and a basement. Funds are somewhat limited but I would probably get things gradually, so I can build up a home gym. At present I'm not doing any program; but I would like to start one :). You have really inspired me, as well as some of my other MFP friends who have starting lifting (Liftng4Lis, etc). I'm 47 and believe it's never too late to start :). I could also get a membership at the local Y, which has both free weights and machines; but I think I would prefer to do my training at home. Thanks :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    How much time is really necessary between deadlifts and squats? 24 hours? Take a complete day between?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    How much time is really necessary between deadlifts and squats? 24 hours? Take a complete day between?

Depends on a number of variables so the question can't really be answered in terms of a specific number of hours.

Just for an example I squat and deadlift on the same day. I don't tend to squat or deadlift heavy on back to back days but I will sometimes squat or pull two days in a row but with the second day being much lower intensity.

I also tend to structure programs for my clients with squats and deads occurring on the same day and for most people I place squats before deadlifts because I find that squats have a minor impact on deadlift performance but deadlifts can have a significant impact on squat performance. Alternatively (again depends heavily on the entire program and how it's laid out) you could do something like:

Squat heavy
    Deadlift light/moderate

^ One lower body day in the week

Deadlift Heavy
    Squat light/moderate

^ Different lower body day in the week

I'd do something like the above with a program like 5/3/1 in that you could then convert it into an upper/lower split, keep 2/week squat and dead frequency, and hit both of those movements in multiple rep ranges throughout the week.

So that's sort of my rambling-*kitten* answer. The take home though is "it depends".
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    So I do 4 days a week with a lay out of push ,pull, legs push. Then next week is pull,legs ,push,pull.....so I guess just follow the program with a day off like it says..seeing good results so far. Except with bench...it's slow. Thanks SideSteel.
    Eta then third week is legs, push,pull,legs. Then it starts again
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thanks for responding. Space isn't an issue as I have two entire rooms unused and a basement. Funds are somewhat limited but I would probably get things gradually, so I can build up a home gym. At present I'm not doing any program; but I would like to start one :). You have really inspired me, as well as some of my other MFP friends who have starting lifting (Liftng4Lis, etc). I'm 47 and believe it's never too late to start :). I could also get a membership at the local Y, which has both free weights and machines; but I think I would prefer to do my training at home. Thanks :)

It's absolutely never too late to start. I only started doing the type of lifting I do now (focusing on compound barbell lifts) a little over 2 years ago, and I am 47 now. I did lift about 6 years before that (higher rep, dumbell and machine work), before having a cerebral aneurysm rupture, which kind of sidelined things for quite a while. The amount of time I was out of action, basically meant I was starting from scratch, other than having a familiarity of a gym. However, since then, I have found a style of training I much prefer and absolutely love it.

Having a decent amount of space is great - this is often people's limiting factor. You can build up a good working home gym by adding equipment (and can adapt your program accordingly), assuming you have the space.

Depending on your goals, I would recommend a good 3 x a week full body program. Some of the good ones are:

- AllPro: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
    - StrongLifts: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/
    - Starting Strength: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
    - Ice-Cream Fitness 5 x 5: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    - Brett Contreras' Strong Curves: http://www.strongcurves.com/ (this one is a book)

These are primarily barbell routines. You can adapt most barbell lifts for dumbbells and many people have had great success doing so. This thread gives some suggestions of swaps: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/902569

In my opinion, the decision as to whether to go the barbell route v dumbbell route should be made weighing the pro's and con's based on your individual circumstances.

While DBs are space saving, they can be pretty expensive (unless you get adjustable ones, which can be awkward to use) and do not go up in fractional increments so you have to get creative with either your programming or using DIY solutions to allow for small increments in the increase in weights. The biggest drawback imo is that you cannot do back squats or heavy deads (you can squat and dead, but the amount you can do with adaptations will be limited). They are a bit more flexible however than barbells in many ways - assuming you can get enough weights to be appropriate to the lift you are doing.

Barbells are, imo, the 'better' choice (generally, but not always as context applies) if you are looking for a better 'bang for your buck' re the $ as well as your routine. However, and this is a big drawback - you really need at least a half rack for safety. Without safety rails (as you have in a rack/power cage), squatting is not advisable in general and neither is benching (even if you have a spotter as you cannot get set up properly with someone just handing you the bb).

I would recommend getting a decent bench whether you use BBs or DBs.

• Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Question about protein powder:

My protein powder says "do not exceed 2 servings in a 24-hour period"; and a serving is 1-2 scoops (44-88 grams). Is the warning because we shouldn't consume more than 176 grams of the protein powder (120 grams of actual protein) or that we should only have two times during the day that we consume the powder? Is this warning reasonable? I would like to take 1 scoop 3-4 times a day ... Thanks :)

My question would be why are you looking to get that much protein (I am assuming here you get some from food). Even just 3 scoops based on those numbers is 90g, which is a lot to get from protein powder v food.

There is no basis as to the warning unless you have pre-existing issues - and then it would depend on your issue and relate to protein in general. Protein powder is just protein.

• ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What are your top tips for pre and post workout nutrition for muscle gain?
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    -How much is too much cardio when your goal is strength gains/ fat loss. I lift every other day alternating BP/DL and OHP/Squat/Row workouts. I want to improve my 5k time too, so I wanted to run more.

- Would I run after lifting on strength days or on my off days (considering that I leave one day a week as an actual rest day)

-Alternatively, I'm considering doing Thai Kickboxing because I've wanted to do it for a couple years now. The classes are M-Th so if I stuck with lifting 3-4 days a week I would get some overlap. Would I be signing up for something that could kill my strength? I don't want to commit to something that's overambitious. I'm still in noob gains but I should be tapering off soon.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What are your top tips for pre and post workout nutrition for muscle gain?

Eat in such a way as to maximize your workouts.

Rule of thumb - unless you train fasted, just get a decent amount of protein within a few hours - so this generally will just coincide with ost people's 'normal' meal timing. If you train fasted, you would probably do best getting something a bit earlier (but you do not need to down a protein shake as soon as you finish your workout).

Getting your nutrition down for the day as a whole will be of greater benefit, as well as having enough energy for a good lifting session.

• ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    Thank you :). You have certainly been through a lot and you are fortunate to be here :). I'm glad you survived and have done much more than just "bounce back". I congratulate you on your success in health and in lifting :).

I think I will go with the barbells. And I like the idea of the ones with the holes. My brother has two sets, one of which have no holes (except in the dead centre) and they are not as convenient IMO. I do have a good quality bench. (A donation from my brother, as he had two). I will look at the different links you provided, to see where I will start.

I'll check out prices on a half rack. Maybe someone may be selling one (ie. Kijiji).

With regards to the protein powder, my main issue is that I am extremely limited with my protein choices. My friend advised me I needed to increase my protein if I wanted to lift, so I ordered some protein powder through my pharmacy. (I'm currently using Muscletech six star pro nutrition whey protein elite series - vanilla cream). I hope to get a good tasteless brand. The

If you look at my diary for the past few weeks, it is not the best; but we had some family emergencies and I have been a bit stressed and didn't eat well; but I'm determined to get back on track again.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    (Sorry, hit "post reply" early by accident)

The only problem with the protein powder and much of my protein sources (skim milk, cheese, yogurt) is that I had radiation for my thyroid and now take synthetic thyroid hormones as my thyroid is "dead", and dairy products must be taken 4+ hours after taking my meds, so when I get up, it's usually eggs or peanut butter, and neither have a lot of protein versus the powder or animal meat proteins I cannot eat.

Thanks again :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    So I do 4 days a week with a lay out of push ,pull, legs push. Then next week is pull,legs ,push,pull.....so I guess just follow the program with a day off like it says..seeing good results so far. Except with bench...it's slow. Thanks SideSteel.
    Eta then third week is legs, push,pull,legs. Then it starts again

General recommendation - follow the programs (assuming its a decent one) as they are laid out/explained.

• SideSteel
    Options
    xoemmytee wrote: »
    -How much is too much cardio when your goal is strength gains/ fat loss. I lift every other day alternating BP/DL and OHP/Squat/Row workouts. I want to improve my 5k time too, so I wanted to run more.

- Would I run after lifting on strength days or on my off days (considering that I leave one day a week as an actual rest day)

-Alternatively, I'm considering doing Thai Kickboxing because I've wanted to do it for a couple years now. The classes are M-Th so if I stuck with lifting 3-4 days a week I would get some overlap. Would I be signing up for something that could kill my strength? I don't want to commit to something that's overambitious. I'm still in noob gains but I should be tapering off soon.

When you say "alternatively" do you mean kickboxing as an alternative to working on your 5k?

Which is more important to you currently, lifting progress/performance or cardio performance? Just curious.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    xoemmytee wrote: »

The issue here is that you cannot do everything 'optimally' so you need to decide what to 'sacrifice'

Can you get stronger while running? Yes
    Can you optimize a strength program with also training for a running event? Possibly not.
    Add Thai kickboxing into the mix and you may be spreading everything too thin.

How much cardio is too much? It depends what it is.

Here is a great video from Eric Helms:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TmEJGR1_sZc

Note: the above is more re fat loss/LBM retention than strength - but the logic is basically the same
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    (Sorry, hit "post reply" early by accident)

The only problem with the protein powder and much of my protein sources (skim milk, cheese, yogurt) is that I had radiation for my thyroid and now take synthetic thyroid hormones as my thyroid is "dead", and dairy products must be taken 4+ hours after taking my meds, so when I get up, it's usually eggs or peanut butter, and neither have a lot of protein versus the powder or animal meat proteins I cannot eat.

Thanks again :)

Most protein powder is dairy based as it's whey, which is what you have. I assume, that as its whey and not 'proper' dairy (i.e. with anything more than minimal lactose), its ok.

Non-meat sources of protein you may want to look into are wheat gluten (seitan) products and soy (not sure if soy is ok for you based on your thyroid issue).

What is your protein target currently?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Thank you :). You have certainly been through a lot and you are fortunate to be here :). I'm glad you survived and have done much more than just "bounce back". I congratulate you on your success in health and in lifting :).

I think I will go with the barbells. And I like the idea of the ones with the holes. My brother has two sets, one of which have no holes (except in the dead centre) and they are not as convenient IMO. I do have a good quality bench. (A donation from my brother, as he had two). I will look at the different links you provided, to see where I will start.

I'll check out prices on a half rack. Maybe someone may be selling one (ie. Kijiji).

With regards to the protein powder, my main issue is that I am extremely limited with my protein choices. My friend advised me I needed to increase my protein if I wanted to lift, so I ordered some protein powder through my pharmacy. (I'm currently using Muscletech six star pro nutrition whey protein elite series - vanilla cream). I hope to get a good tasteless brand. The

If you look at my diary for the past few weeks, it is not the best; but we had some family emergencies and I have been a bit stressed and didn't eat well; but I'm determined to get back on track again.

Thank you very much for you comments :flowerforyou: