Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Finished week 5!! I still cant believe I ran for 20 minutes!
    Awesome job. That's pretty much the hardest part.

• XX_Miss_RoseMary_XX
    Options
    Thanks guys! Now that I know I can do it there is no excuse not to finish the rest of the program :) It was a huge mental block I considered just stopping all together.
  • Congrats Miss Rose!

I finished W4D3 today. It felt good but there were times when I thought that 5 minutes seemed like it would take forever to get through. I am keeping positive thoughts for next week, but I have also accepted that if I have to redo week 5 then I will do that. I love the program too much to give up on running now. And that was the feeling I most wanted when I started this journey. :smile:
  • LazyButHealthy
    LazyButHealthy Posts: 257 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    So I was travelling for work and had a 'bad' few days, but on my travels I did W3D3. After a naughty weekend (food and booze) I went back out on Monday evening (straight after arriving from airport) and repeated W3D3.

Due to take on W4D1 this evening... nervous!!
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have graduated this program and it's incredible! I never thought I would be a 'runner' I learned quickly it's a mental game more so than anything. Your body will heal and aches and pains will subside but the voice in your head, the motivation you find within yourself is what will push you to success. I am continuing to use this app to roughly monitor my 5k runs but I don't want to go any further because 5k fits in my schedule nicely. Working on speed and consistency is my goal at this point. I have felt pain ohhh my yes, I've had back flair ups, pains in my shins like never before and even ate some pavement when I took a tumble in the dark on crappy rough sidewalks but I'm always ready to hit the ground running in any kind of weather! You guys can totally rock this app, don't be nervous or find reasons not to because believe me..you wont be sorry!!! Go get it!!
  • Thank you mave! It is great to get insight from someone who has done it. It is also nice to know others out there stick to the 5K length. In a perfect world, I love the idea of going further. In reality, I don't have the time in my schedule to train for those longer distances. :smile:
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Due to take on W4D1 this evening... nervous!!

I didn't as I was a big tired from cycling..

BUT, I did it this morning!
    Smashed (in a very slow, slow way) the 5 mins.
  • I started W5 today but I ended up having to skip the cooldown because it was time to get back for work (I ran on the treadmill at lunch). I am going to redo it so I can do the whole session but I was serious amazed as I made it through the 5 minutes. Each time I found myself thinking about plans if I didn't make it through--then I would. Then the next interval I would think it again. I am beginning to see that this has a lot more to do with my own self-talk then my body's ability to run. Anyone else feel that way?
  • Lavenda93
    Lavenda93 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that's so true. Completed W5D3 and it was awesome. I thought I wouldnt be able to see it through, but I did and although I was very slow, I'm glad I was able to scale past the mental block.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Each time I found myself thinking about plans if I didn't make it through--then I would. Then the next interval I would think it again. I am beginning to see that this has a lot more to do with my own self-talk then my body's ability to run. Anyone else feel that way?

Absolutely.

Just back from W4D2 - for the 5 minutes I was going through the
    "can i do i? no i can't. but i did it before? yeah.. that's true... but today i'm feeling tired! but i'm fine breathing and my legs are actually ok, so what are you complaining about? i'm not complaining i'm just doubting. well that's the problem, just shut up and keep running. oh, the lady said i'm done and i walk now! ta-da!"

THAT is me. Each time.
  • Lol lazybuthealthy. I feel like you just transcribed my thoughts except u missed some of the "5-4-3-2-1 see I made it through another 10 second segment." :smile:
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Thank you mave! It is great to get insight from someone who has done it. It is also nice to know others out there stick to the 5K length. In a perfect world, I love the idea of going further. In reality, I don't have the time in my schedule to train for those longer distances. :smile:

This.
    I run 3x a week and aim to run 5-7K each time. My usual run is 5K, with the longer runs being on the weekends if my schedule allows. I no longer fret that I'm not increasing my distance. I'm enjoying my runs.
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    Just back from W4D3. Split paces a good 30 seconds faster than yesterday.

Now ahead is the dreaded week 5... EEEK!!!!

• I am currently in Week 5 and have a question. I have been doing C25K on the treadmill, but today I was going to do it at a park while my daughter plays in the play area. I am wondering if I should just try to tackle Week 5 even though from everything I have read outdoor running is different or if I should drop back to another week and to back to week 5 when I get back to the treadmill.

I am changing because the gym doesn't have afternoon/evening child care on weekends but I do want to try to get a run in today. So the change probably is just for this session. :smile:
  • LazyButHealthy
    Options
    I've never run on a treadmill, so I can't really comment on the difference.

But I do that if I'm facing other changes or delays, then i'll repeat the last day I did.
    Perhaps just repeat W4D3 and see how it goes?
    You never know, you might that you prefer it outdoors!
  • secondnature81
    secondnature81 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    W4D1 Done! Woo hoo! I even accidentally ran an extra 3 minutes at the end.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    PhoenixRising, it's different for every person. You'll have to try it out for yourself and see how it goes.
    I would try to do Week 5 but realize that you may not be able to complete it. You'll know on your first day what will happen. It's okay, no matter what happens. You just do your best and try again next run.
    I completed my training completely on the treadmill and continued to run on the treadmill for a couple of months afterwards. I didn't venture outside until the spring and felt completely defeated when I did. I went from running 45+ minutes in a row to about 10 minutes in a row. I felt the difference a lot. Every winter I run on the treadmill and every spring I have to slow down a little when I go back outdoors (but only for a short while; maybe a few runs).
    However, others have gone outside and not noticed a difference at all.
    The outdoors is a great running place. It beats the treadmill hands down but it may take a bit of time to adjust.
    I heard that there's a set of muscles that propel you forward that are not trained on the treadmill and these muscles need to catch up. It may take a couple of weeks but it's worth it.
    Give it a try and let us know how it goes.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    W4D1 Done! Woo hoo! I even accidentally ran an extra 3 minutes at the end.

Well done! Love it when this happens!
  • PaytraB
    Options
    Now ahead is the dreaded week 5... EEEK!!!!

You're ready for it. It's a mental game now. Keep pushing through. You can do this.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Thank you mave! It is great to get insight from someone who has done it. It is also nice to know others out there stick to the 5K length. In a perfect world, I love the idea of going further. In reality, I don't have the time in my schedule to train for those longer distances. :smile:

Hi, the distance thingy stands out. I really enjoyed this article earlier in the year:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/5k-training-plans/10-reasons-the-5k-is-freaking-awesome

You also mentioned skipping cooling down. It is quite important, so even a shorter moment is better than nothing next time you're pressed on time.

Other than that, keep going, everyone! It is all in the head, in particular W5D3, because if you have made it through W5D2 your body is ready to add a few more minutes of running. I can't stress enough the "go slow" and it is because of that piece of advice that I was able to finish the programme earlier this year.