Options

Replies

• archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Re: bodyweight training, there's a group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/166-bodyweight-training

I'm doing Convict Conditioning as per today, but there are other programmes there too that people follow. I've been thinking we should have a thread for all different systems people follow, so maybe I'll start something monthly, goals focussed. Anyway, stop by and chime in if you like.

Wow. Seems pretty intense. I'll definitely check it out :smile:
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    Hi.. I'm morbidly obese and didn't even know what C25K meant until a few weeks ago.
    in Jan 2014 I weighed 120 kg... Currently at 94 kg.

I'm only 2 days in. At least I didn't require CPR (very nearly did but miraculously completed the 30 mins). I don't care about people looking at me or saying stuff. Just terrified of Week 2

This forum seems to have people at all fitness levels. Just looking for some reassurance from people who, like me, have tried this program in spite of being morbidly obese.

What were your major challenges?

What were your small victories?

Hello Joyce!

Our stories sound really similar! I started C25K at around 230lbs, I think that's something like 105kg, and while it has been tough, it has been rewarding.

I think the biggest challenge is mostly in my head. When I look at the next day and see that I have to run for 5 straight minutes, I think surely this isn't possible. There is no way I can do it.

But I always do. I think once you get going and focus less on your burning legs and lungs and more on the music it gets easier. And you always feel so accomplished after you finish a run you didn't think you were able to.

I've been slacking since its been getting dark out and closer to winter, and have been stuck on week 6 day 2 for a while, but even if I can't get passed it I think well hey, I ran as hard as I could, and thats gotta be something. ;)
    @silverskies Totally agree that the challenge is in the head. I completed Week 3 and when I look at Week 4 I feel :|Seriously?. I'll get cracking on it today. I live in UAE and it is going to be sandstorm week. So I won't venture out much with my asthma and everything. I hope this is just as effective if you do it on a treadmill. I'm sure you'll glide into Week 7 just fine :) Waiting to read about you destroying Week 6
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    ggoss10 wrote: »
    ggoss10 wrote: »
    I was worried about the same thing...I weigh about 230. I don't push it, I go pretty slow. And yes, I am the fattest person on the Dreadmill, but rather than be bummed about it and self conscious, I'm proud of myself for doing it! My knee started bothering me so I'm taking it easy, but doing some swimming and elliptical until It feels better
    ggoss10: when I first got on a treadmill early this year, I was 264 lbs. Things haven't drastically changed, but I still feel self conscious sometimes when the girls @ the gym throw weird looks at me. Some have made passing comments also. But starting C25K has given me enormous confidence and a 's***w you' attitude. As I see the little tick marks on each day, it motivates me more and more :)

How is your knee now? When I reach 199 lbs, I've promised myself swimming lessons :)

My knee is still bothering me. Ive been icing and taking it easy, but will be starting physical therapy tomorrow - hoping they can give me some exercised to do to help strengthen my hip muscles. (which can cause knee problems). So we shall see! I've been depressed because of my injury, but am going to do some more swimming tomorrow.
    @ggoss10 - swimming sounds great. I've always marveled at swimmers. I hear it is great for your figure and low impact but great cardio. The physical therapy would surely help, with your spirit and expert guidance, you'll be back in the game in no time :)
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    Hi.. I'm morbidly obese and didn't even know what C25K meant until a few weeks ago.
    in Jan 2014 I weighed 120 kg... Currently at 94 kg.

I'm only 2 days in. At least I didn't require CPR (very nearly did but miraculously completed the 30 mins). I don't care about people looking at me or saying stuff. Just terrified of Week 2

This forum seems to have people at all fitness levels. Just looking for some reassurance from people who, like me, have tried this program in spite of being morbidly obese.

What were your major challenges?

What were your small victories?

I started at around where you are now.

Just focus on the next run, not the end of the programme as you, like me, will be gripped by 'how on earth will I be able to do THAT?'
    I'm now on W5D2 and loving it.

I hadn't run in 15 years, and have been overweight or obese all my life.

So there! Anyone can do it!

@LazyButHealthy You are right, we've got to focus on small steps. I'm delighted that you are on Week 5. Wow... it must be pretty awesome just finishing each run in Week 5. More power to you!
  • archanajoyce
    Options
    Running is the perfect mindfulness practice, I should add. Just be in the moment and don't worry about what will come up after the next bend of the road or such, and don't think of how much is still left of the training but rather what you have already achieved.

If you are about to run out on mental juice in the tank, focus on the next tree or lamp post or whatever landmark is down the road at convenient distance. Move yourself to that point and pick the next landmark.

And remind yourself of how many minutes you've already been moving, how many days you have stuck with C25K, keep adding to the number. We often think of it the other way round which isn't helpful at all in this context.

Find your mental weak points and work on not giving your mind the chance to throw in the towel. My first ten to fifteen minutes always require great effort whilst the body is still getting used to the running mode. It dislikes it and creates resistance, but once I get into the rhythm, it can be quite peaceful. I never was athletic and never thought I could run.

@AglaeaC That is a great idea, focusing on the next small landmark. I'll try that next time I run outside. Owing to sandstorms this week, I'm confined to the treadmill.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Re: bodyweight training, there's a group here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/166-bodyweight-training

I'm doing Convict Conditioning as per today, but there are other programmes there too that people follow. I've been thinking we should have a thread for all different systems people follow, so maybe I'll start something monthly, goals focussed. Anyway, stop by and chime in if you like.

Wow. Seems pretty intense. I'll definitely check it out :smile:

Nah, I did week 1 last week and on the first day there are two moves, 1x10 repetitions of each, on the second two other moves also 1x10 reps. You slowly increase the repetitions whilst learning proper form etc. It gives your joints etc. time to keep up during the training.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've seen some stuff recently that identifies that for some people bodyweight is actually far more than they can cope with. That said, some of the progressions should help mitigate that; wall press vs knee presses vs press up vs incline press vs handstand press.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I've seen some stuff recently that identifies that for some people bodyweight is actually far more than they can cope with. That said, some of the progressions should help mitigate that; wall press vs knee presses vs press up vs incline press vs handstand press.

Do you have some specific programmes in mind? I'm not in great shape and Convict Conditioning has a really slow progress at the beginner stage of the four first moves.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I see that you already have many responses, but I thought I would pop in. I currently weigh 310 pounds (5' 8") and I'm in the 2nd week of C25K. It's not the first time I've done it, though – a few years ago I went through the whole thing starting at around 330 pounds! When I ran my first 5K I was about the same weight as I am now. Am finding this time around that I feel faster and stronger, but that is probably because I have been working with a trainer for most of the past year. I was going to wait until spring to start up, but I felt ready and just wanted to get to it!

I am very slow, of course, but doing it nonetheless. I am careful to listen to my body and slow down when I need to. This past run was W2D2 and I accidentally ran through a run, and walk, and another run section, so I think I'll be OK for week 3. :)

Hope things are going well for you!
  • GreenRiderLiana
    GreenRiderLiana Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    everyone keeps mentioning good running shoes. I learned that the hard way. I'm 5'3" and 225lbs. I started C25k a month and a half ago, and two weeks in I injured my foot. I havne't been able to do it since. My foot is feeling better, but i'm having to be extra careful. I blame the state of my shoes. I had craptastic shoes, and I wasn't used to physical activity. I plan to restart c25k soon though as soon as I feel like my foot is up to snuff.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    Do you have some specific programmes in mind? I'm not in great shape and Convict Conditioning has a really slow progress at the beginner stage of the four first moves.

Sorry A, didn't see this. I like the YAYOG app, but Ink you'd tried that before and weren't getting on with it.

I use the app, which seems to manage the progression reasonably well.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I'm a total nerd, and love tracking my workouts on Endomondo to see my progress. It links up with MFP and automatically uploads calories. The paid version of the app comes with a personalised training plan feature for any distance or fitness level. I'm trialling it at the moment - good so far. You don't have to use their C25K to benefit from tracking workouts though. And of course you could go for another tracking app - there are loads out there.

One other major motivator for me for during the runs is music. I like classical music but any genre will do. Put yourself a play list together or buy a dedicated album.

Grab your own *kitten* every now and again. Seriously. Running seems to tone mine up and it feels amazing.

Finally, the lovely achy feeling of having done exercise and the smug satisfaction of knowing I am no longer a couch potato are also good motivators :)

Good luck!
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Apparently MFP does not like the A-word for rear end / Glutes / bottom. I stand by my advice though......
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Sorry A, didn't see this. I like the YAYOG app, but Ink you'd tried that before and weren't getting on with it.

I use the app, which seems to manage the progression reasonably well.

I meant to ask whether there is a specific programme you refer to that isn't suitable when one is overweight? CC is reasonably slow in the beginning, I find.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Apparently MFP does not like the A-word for rear end / Glutes / bottom. I stand by my advice though......

Lol.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10035154/the-word-a-is-not-a-swear-word-for-an-adult-site-your-filters-are-a-bit-ott/p1
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    I meant to ask whether there is a specific programme you refer to that isn't suitable when one is overweight? CC is reasonably slow in the beginning, I find.

Oh it was observations that the "traditional exercise" can be quite demanding, and when people think about bodyweight, that's what they know, rather than using one of the programmes.

For someone of significant weight, a traditional press up is probably far too much, so in that sense it does make sense to start with weights as it's easier to do a bench press.

• archanajoyce
    Options
    I would like to thank each and everyone who motivated me to keep at it. I have completed Week 6 and am looking forward to Week 7 (with a bit of nervousness ofcourse)
    Weight wise, I'm at 77 kg at present. To think I was 94 kg when I started C25K :smile:

Thank you all again! I'll keep you posted on how I go
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    "morbidly obese". I hate these categories. And I dislike the BMI calculation that leads to them.

When I started my C25K, in January, I was "super obese", with a BMI of 48. Now, with a BMI of 36, I am only "severely obese". (I fell right THROUGH "morbidly obese" on the way down!) Yet, I feel great, and I am running 3 x 5k every week. I am, right now, in far better shape than many of my "skinny" friends (as measured by observation as we go on walks or hikes together)

Here's the kicker: I have been paying close attention to BF% instead of BMI (I have been hydrostatic weighed, and am using home BF testing scale). Because I have a long torso and short limbs, and because I evidently have MUSCLES somewhere under these rolls, when I get to the "normal" BF% range, I will STILL be in the OBESE BMI range! I will be in good company, though . . . On the day he won Mr. Universe, Arnold Schwarzenegger also had a BMI that said he was obese!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I would like to thank each and everyone who motivated me to keep at it. I have completed Week 6 and am looking forward to Week 7 (with a bit of nervousness ofcourse)
    Weight wise, I'm at 77 kg at present. To think I was 94 kg when I started C25K :smile:

Thank you all again! I'll keep you posted on how I go

Congratulations! You're doing great! Every week brings its own new "nervousness" aspect but you're ready to overcome the obstacles. Keep on running.
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was 240 when I began the c25k, and I managed to complete it. I'm still around 220, and I'm now on week 12 of a 10k program. I run rather slow, less than 4 mph, averaging 17-18 minutes per mile. But it is running, not jogging. When I first started, my running pace was about 19-20 minutes per mile. I haven't done any speedwork to increase my pace, it's all just from consistent running. Slowing down and good shoes are key.

I'm also doing weights and a stretching routine now. Even though I haven't lost a lot of weight, I feel better. I'm slimmer now, and running is more important to me than how much weight I lose. I've only been on this journey for a few months. It can only get better in time.