Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    seasons greetings all.
    finally back in the pool today after getting all clear from consultant.
    a slow 1km but refreshingly comfortable after such a long absence.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you're back in, Clive, that's great news. I just found out that, not only did those work days that got pushed off get scheduled in January, but we picked up a new client so January is out for me & probably the 1st week or so in February too.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Happy Holidays, my swimming friends. I was kicked out today (didn't realize it was Saturday and they close at 6pm), but yesterday I got an hour of practicing in. I was thinking about Noel's kick question and wondering if that's adding to my poor form. I'm really trying to work on 1-2 things at a time since it's all pretty beginner-ly bad, so once I got the feel of keeping my "tail tucked" as they say, I sort of let the kick go. However, yesterday, I worked on really relaxing, slowing down, and consciously slowing my kick. I CANNOT seem to count strokes and kicks AND breathe at the same time, so I just worked on feeling it come from the hip which seemed to help tremendously. Yesterday was a good day. I went back today with hopes for more, but it was hard and my legs felt incredibly tired and heavy. But, I stuck it out, used it as one of those really-not-fun-push-through-it-days, and did OK. Kind of funny to get kicked out when usually I have to ask myself, "Is that all you got? Are you going to go home feeling good about putting in your time?" and then along came this angel of a lifeguard who gave me permission to get out ;)

So much to work on. So much to think about. No, there is not a pack of piranhas chasing me. Swim on, friends, into 2015!

~Curly
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    A much quicker 1k today in celebration of the results of my 3 monthly health check.
    vo2 max up from 32 to 47,which is in the excellent category for my age group.
    swimming and rowing for full body health gains!
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Curly - you are doing so great!!!! The legs were sore because you gave the right muscles a good workout for the first time, you'll break through that pretty quick & you'll feel the strength in your legs pretty quickly (including when you're walking uphill, up or down stairs, using your legs to help lift something, etc.). Keep doing what you're doing by concentrating on form & not trying to do it all at once - picking 1 or 2 things at a time & staying with them until the muscle memory is there to the point that you don't have to think bout them is the smart way to do it. Some things will "take" faster than others, but complete concentration will help it happen better & faster. Too many things at once makes it so there's a much better chance that none of them are really getting full concentration & you'll never really be able to get that singular feel of any of them. Having that feel not only helps you learn it faster, you'll be able to identify AND fix what's wrong on the days you just don't feel right. Personally, I don't track my stroke or kick counts - I don't even know how many strokes it takes me to travel a length of the pool......
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Merry Christmas to all of my swimming friends here, thank you all for the support & motivation....!!!
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're back in, Clive, that's great news. I just found out that, not only did those work days that got pushed off get scheduled in January, but we picked up a new client so January is out for me & probably the 1st week or so in February too.....

And a Merry Christmas and New Year to you Mac! Sorry to hear, but at least it never hurts to pick up a new client!
    cw106 wrote: »
    A much quicker 1k today in celebration of the results of my 3 monthly health check.
    vo2 max up from 32 to 47,which is in the excellent category for my age group.
    swimming and rowing for full body health gains!

Welcome back CW! Didn't realise you had been out for medical reasons and just thought you weren't logging. And you are rowing now too!
    Good stuff!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes: 1 mile @ 38 min. + 1 mile @ 42 min
  • Macstraw
    Options
    All freestyle: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards....
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    1 km - all freestyle.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Great swim, Juliet!!!!

No swim today, bad stomach last night & I didn't want to risk any issues in the water. Disappointing, because this week is my last week in the water until after the 1st or 2nd week in February. The good news is that I found out I can swim Friday morning because we are starting work later than originally planned. At least it'll make up for today....
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1500 44:06

Apparently my family is really excited about me getting into swimming as a sport. I was given a lot of swimming oriented stuff for Christmas and my birthday.

• Macstraw
    Options
    Noel, I'm sure they see your excitement too - it's obvious that they support you :-)

All freestyle today: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250

Happy New Year to all my swimming MFPals, may 2015 bring you all the happiness, success & health you seek....
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My pool has been closed since Dec 18 for cleaning and maintenance...........opens back this Saturday, Jan 3 :). Have been walking/running and hitting the gym during this time. Everyone have a safe and happy New Years.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes: 1 mile @ 36 min. + 1 mile @‌ 39 min
    + finished my 2014 Goal @ 357 / 300 = 119 %
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1300 yards 38:17
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 43:00

That's approximate. I got a Garmin 910xxlt for my birthday and I kept hitting the stop button instead of the lap spilt button.
  • chocs_away
    chocs_away Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I swam today, first time for months.
    I didn't track how far, but 45 mins - and I had the lane to myself woohoo
    New Year, new start....
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    3600 1:46:41

I did that because on a marathon swimming board, I was advised to see if I COULD swim two miles in preparation for Son of a Swim next summer.

Why yes, I can. And it's going to be at least a month before I do THAT again!
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    20x50, 30 min. First time in over 3 weeks due to pool being closed. Could feel all the Holiday celebration the entire time. :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Such impressive numbers! Noel, you CAN do it!!! And hooray! You don't have to again for a while, lol!

I'm pretty sure that my upper and lower body were working against each other yesterday. I'm so sick of being a beginner and not getting to just swim and think about nothing. I did 2x50 freestyle with board work in between those tiny, short "sets" (if you can call them that!). Did that for about 15-20 minutes. Then because I wanted to get out, I changed things up and started doing only 1x25 freestyle, then used the board on the way back. I didn't want to go in the first place, and I wasn't swimming well, so I kept making deals with myself about how long I had to stay. Ended up staying 40 min instead of 20, so that was my victory. The pool was empty, so it seemed a shame to waste a day of a free lane. I eventually gave up "working out" and thought about my minor successes since September when I actually started swimming laps. I had to dig pretty deep to find some, but I also realized that if I give up now, then for what? I feel like the only way out of this is to keep going forward, if that makes any sense. My adult brain can overthink things at times, and it just plain gets in the way. I did find that when I stopped trying to make it a better swim day, and I started thinking about what has gotten better, my body relaxed and I swam a little better. Not a drastic difference, but enough that I decided to stay those extra 20 minutes because it wasn't so awful anymore :)

I realize what a mental case I sound like each time, but if you knew me IRL, the fact that I am sticking with ANY physical activity over months is uncharacteristic. Out of 7 kids, I was the least physical of them all. Learning these things in middle age is tricky (but not impossible!!)