Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Replies

• Burpees: the exercise you love to hate!!

What makes them so hard IMO is that they a) require lots of hip flexibility and b) require very strong back muscles. It's an exercise, that if not done properly (especially when you get older) can easily lead to injury. Not a reason not to do them, but you just need to be smart about how you do do them.
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    edited January 2015
    I log my workouts as "circuit training" and just enter a time for the calorie number to be what I want. I wear a Polar HRM and I know it's totally inaccurate for lifting, so I usually just log at around 66% of what it tells me. I don't know if that is correct or not but my weight loss trends tell me it is working that way.
    If I work out for 90 minutes which would be 10 min warmup, SL, then 20ish min cardio my HRM will tell me 600 and I put in 400cal.
    If I just do SL with a brief warmup (so 60-70 minutes) I will usually log in 150-200.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    I typically log my workouts as strength training, even if they're more like circuit training. I tend to like to underestimate calories burned and overestimate calories in so when I do indulge in some of my exercise calories, I still don't go overboard.

And what the hell I just did a 50 minute pretty strenuous yoga workout (Tapout XT, for those that might be in the know. Not exactly the stress-relief yoga type but it does a wonderful job of loosening and strengthening some things. I had to keep taking breaks cuz I'm not used to it anymore and my shoulders were screaming) and MFP gives me less cals for that than strolling walks of 30 minutes. LOL *shakes head*
  • Home sick today :( I couldn't stop sleeping yesterday. I did some cardio hoping to snap out if my blah feeling but ended up sleeping after for an hour then again after showering. So needless to say, no lifting today as planned. Hopefully I'll be recovered tomorrow. Great job everyone getting it done. You're all so inspiring - I just want to get to the gym with you!
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    Burpees: the exercise you love to hate!!

What makes them so hard IMO is that they a) require lots of hip flexibility and b) require very strong back muscles. It's an exercise, that if not done properly (especially when you get older) can easily lead to injury. Not a reason not to do them, but you just need to be smart about how you do do them.

Understandable, but you can modify them greatly, as you can with most exercises :) I hurt my back rollerskating (falling straight backwards and somehow not cracking my head open lol) and instead of the kick back, I put one foot back at a time, then went to my knees, small pushup, one foot at a time back, no jump. Still works you, still gets your race pumping :)

• haley183
    haley183 Posts: 24 Member
    So I've been computer lazy lately since the holidays and vacation and haven't been posting my workouts. I haven't been SL workout lazy though, I got my third one of the year in yesterday afternoon.

Squat 5x5 - 80 lb (This felt good. I was a little weary after I accidently went from 65lb to 75lb during my last workout. I was done with 3 sets and about to start the fourth on Friday when I realized that I had been lifting 75lbs instead of the intended 70lbs. I went ahead and just continued with the workout at 75 because I wasn't struggling at all. I felt like an idiot because I'm usually pretty good at adding simple numbers, but hey, screw that 70 lbs!)
    OHP 5x5 - 50 lb (This was a repeat weight from my last workout B. I started with trying at 55 lbs and only managed 2 reps before I decided that was not happening! I struggled a lot with 50 lb last time so I didn't feel bad repeating it. Much better this time so I feel confident about going to 55 next time.)
    Deadlift - 115 lb (This felt good. The bar was kind of slipping just a tiny bit during this. Before this I had yet to feel any bar slippage so I guess I'll need to finally invest in some chalk soon. Oh, well, I nailed it anyway!)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Yesterdays workout

Squats - 1x5 @ 85lbs, 1x5 @ 95lbs, 3x5 @‌ 110lbs
    - sticking here for a while until 110 feels easy. I did 115 in the last couple weeks but felt form was off
    -
    OHP - 3x5 @ 55lbs, these were tough!! And a side note...baseball hat during OHP was not good! Ha!

DL - 1x5 @ 95lbs, 1x5 @ 115lbs, 1x5 @ 125lbs and 1x5 @ 135lbs!!! (my best yet)

2x10 @ 20lbs on the tricep pulldown thingy
    1x10 @ 30lbs on the tripep pulldown thingy

3x8 @‌ 55lbs on seated row

3x10 @ 60lbs on chest flys
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    My routine has been thrown off a bit due to a cold, but I'm hoping to come back stronger than ever this week!

Keep up the amazing work ladies!! :D
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Workout done for today. I decided to go before work instead of after so that I can try and catch the morning grit strength class tomorrow. Figured lifting at 11pm then doing strength cardio at 10 am the next day would be a bit of a push. Lots more people at the gym but managed to get what I needed okay (well, except the foam rollers so I skipped that part of warm up). Though I still prefer lifting later because less people around while I'm squatting or attempting to do the pesky rows. Wore my new L capris, which were nice cause unlike my older, bigger ones, I didn't have to pull them up as often, though still had on a big tshirt over them. Might try some day to wear one of the tighter shirts but I don't like the risk of shirt moving up when I'm bench pressing and such.

Workout A

Squat - 5x5 @ 140, it was tough near the end but my back was less cranky than the weight before, so that was interesting. Looks kinda funny with the 45's and then the 2.5's. I may take a picture of it next time, just cause. lol

Bench - 5x5 @ 85, barely. I was worried at the end of more than one set that I'd have an oh *kitten* moment and need to rerack on the lower set. I pushed through but will probably do this weight again. It's the one I failed at before the deload so we'll see if I can push past in a little bit.

Row - 5x5 @ 95, barely. I like the height from 25's more but it's a bit heavy. I'll repeat this weight next time.

3x8 db bench with 27.5 and 3x8 db row with 22.5

Then 40 minutes slow cardio on treadmill.

Now I'm hungry and going to plan out my lunch before I have to get ready for work.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    It's the Wendler's deload week, so super light load alllllll week.

Bench - 5@45, 5@55, 5@65lbs

Supersets:
    OHP - 3x10 @‌ 60lbs
    Tricep Kickbacks - 3x10 @‌ 20lbs

and

Skullcrushers - 3x10 @ 40
    Single arm chest press - 3x10 @‌ 30lbs
    Dumbbell Side Bends - 3x10 @‌ 30lbs
  • StrongLifts 5x5 / Workout A

Such a great day at the gym. The kind that makes me wish tomorrow were Wednesday so I could go and do it all over again. :)

Squats -- 1x10 @ 45 (warmups); 1x5 @ 55, 65, 75, 85; 5x5 @ 115
    - Since I'm playing with form and depth, I just did a whole boatload of these babies. They all felt really good, actually, and I am confident I am getting as low as I possibly can. As much as I hate to admit it, the extra mass in my hips and thighs may very well be obscuring the visual confirmation. So, I am officially done worrying about getting below parallel. I am going to just keep progressing.
    - That said, 115 felt pretty darn heavy by the time I got to my working sets. Do-able, but oof. I'm looking forward to diving back in to fewer warm-ups next time.
    - Next tweak is going to be hand positioning. At the lighter weights, I prefer to have my thumb behind the bar, but when I got to the higher sets, I had to switch back to putting my thumb around the bar to take some of the pressure off my upper arms. Since this has been a problem area for a while -- and one of the reasons I couldn't do squats for the first six or so weeks of the program -- I need to figure out what I can do to keep this in check.

Bench Press - 1x10 @ 45 (warmups), 5x5 @ 72.5
    - The last reps of the last couple sets felt slightly heavy, but overall a strong showing here.
    - I want to start thinking more about my leg drive on these, but need to do some reading to see exactly how to accomplish that and what it will do to my BP.

Barbell Row - 5x5 @ 75
    - These felt pretty good. I could definitely tell the difference from last week's 72.5 sets, but that may also have something to do with all the squats. Changing my stance -- straightening my legs a bit and making sure my back is parallel to the ground -- has made a big difference in these.

Accessories:

Bicep Curls / Seated Dips Machine (alternating sets)
    - Bicep Curls 2x10 @ 12.5, 1x10 @ 15
    - Seated Dips 2x10 @ 90, 1x10 @ 95 (I forgot to go up to 95 in the first 2 sets, so will do 3 sets at 95 next time)

Planks - 1x40 seconds; 1x30 seconds
    - Second plank after the adductor / abductor sets

Adductor - 4x12 @ 80
    Abductor - 3x12 @ 80
    - I think I'm going to stay at this weight for a good long time. I'm viewing these as "support" exercises rather than strength building, so not really concerned about consistent progression. I'll move up when the current weights feel too easy.

Looking forward to hearing all about your workouts this week!

xo,
    C.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited January 2015
    Today was pretty good.

Squats 5x5 @ 65 lbs
    Bench press 5x5 @ 55 lbs
    Rows 5x5 @ 55 lbs

I tried a new location today. My gym is under construction, so we can visit other locations in the chain. One near me is women's only. I called ahead to make sure they had the right equipment, and the woman at the desk said they had a squat rack, she thought maybe two. When I got there, there was one bare-bones power rack and one smith's machine. There was no bench press station! That surprised me. But, that being said, the power rack area was deserted. Walked right in, did my stuff, benched in the power rack, rowed in front of it, done in like 30 mins. The women's gym was so quiet and neat compared to the co-ed. I know it is cliche, but the plates were actually all put away! There were a couple women doing light dumbbell exercises, the leg press station was fairly steady, and a couple women used the smith machine to squat (poorly). One actually stopped mid-set to scratch her nose. Really highlight the difference between the machine and the barbell :P

Anyhow, I am going to try there a couple more times to see if the empty power rack continues at different times of day. I don't mind having very basic equipment if there is never a wait!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2015
    huh. i know i posted today's wall o text somewhere, but now i can't figure out where. rest assured though, i did my workout.

edit: found it. i got misled by @crabada's squat saga ****************************************************

today's shoeless workout brought to you by 'crud, no shoes packed' and 'gee, i hope they don't catch me and throw me out.' wouldn't normally do it and wouldnt' get away with it at the yuppie gym, but i discovered that the just-regular-folks one isn't feeling the resolutionist rush, plus their weight room is less public ;-) and i wanted to go tonight because it's time and tomorrow is massage day.

it went really well. i'm *really* trying to make myself stuff the ego and live by the rule of 'if you can't lift it, then put it back'. it was fun getting up to 100 last month, but i'm paying out of my own pocket to try and fix these problems and it just doesn't make sense to go straight back and spray any gains that i get out of it up the wall in the gym. and since i feel back on track again i quit with the grab-bag approach and did a straight workout b.

warmup: 7k~ride from work, with hiit mini-sprinting mixed in. since i scaled back on weights the ability to do this is coming back and i really REALLY like the payoffs.

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@65, 5x5@75. 85 last time, but 75 felt like a great weight today. i'm trying to correct the habit of looking down at my knees/feet to make sure i'm passing parallel, and i want to keep doing that. looking at myself in the mirror makes it easier to keep my spine from twisting and my shoulders from getting out of alignment with one another. i was able to work pretty fast since the weight wasn't deadly, and i isolated a couple of upper-body things to keep improving. when i was done the little kid who'd been waiting to take over from me said i had good form and it's goofy how pleased i was. i watched him do his own squats so i could consider the source of the compliment and he clearly knew what good form looks like, so that made it even better.

ohp: warmup with shoulderblade retraction and pulldown on single-cable bar at 20lbs (would be 40 at the other gym). very positive. for the press i did 5x5@30lbs, but actually i kind of quit counting at some point so i think it was a lot more than 5 sets. it went really well, and i felt like i actually am getting a couple of lightbulbs on form for this one. i somehow found a great physical cue for the chest-up part of it. fingers crossed. tried 40 and it was doable but not easy and i want easy right now because form.

deadlift: i've been floating up and down the weight scale and all over the numbers with deadlifts for months. don't even know where my benchmark working weight is anymore. so today i settled down and got serious. and it was a form-form-form project, for serious. i started at 80, did 5 reps, moved up to 100 and did 5 more, then added 5lbs on each side and did my real set with that. so 110 is my baseline. it was working well enough taht i did consider just going for 45s because basically the whole thing was deficit deadlifting (no bumpers at the bare-basics gym). but the last of the 110 reps was just close enough to almost being a grind, i followed my new rule and called it.

feel really good. obviously it wasn't as challenging a workout as i've been doing, because afterwards i went down to the grocery store (bit of extra mileage), and still had enough gas in the tank for a few extra sprints on the way. post workout: homemade ww bread with butter and apricot jam.

i think i might have been working too hard. post-workout tired is a nice feeling, but this time i actually got that euphoria bulletproof rush thing instead.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Back after a week off. Gym was mega busy at 6:30am and I was not impressed with how many *kitten* plates had already been left lying around in the first half hour. I nearly did the classic, "Does your mum come here?". But I didn't.

Squat was deloaded for form, at all sorts of weights, but was still so difficult. It wasn't until I got to the OHP and realised that it was the wrong barbell, and 10lb heavier than I thought.

OHP 5,6,7,6,5 @‌ 46lb.

Deadlift 5 @ 145lb. Even though this was a slight deload, my form was still rubbish. I might deload a lot and really work on this.

Didn't do any core/abs because I wanted to get home to see my boyfriend before he left for work.

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Whew, got in a quick one this AM because I had to go home to shower. For once not by my fault. The gym's water heater broke last night and they were changing it this morning xD a nippy -24 out (-32 with windchill, that's celcius) made it a cold one to travel back and forth like this. hankfully I don't live far from the gym

every 20s for 3 mins - power split jump x 2 per leg

4 rounds of
    - side step-ups x5 (pistol progression) 2 rounds with a 30lbs KB on the offset side, last 2 with only 20lbs
    - 1 arm KB swing snatch x10 / arm @‌ 30
    - half hindu push-up x submax (8, 7, 7)

E20Sx3min kneeling jump (on a 45 and a 35 bumper + ab mat) x2

Then 6 min AMRAP of
    - 1 arm Power KB Clean x 1, 2, 3...
    - burpee lateral hop x 1, 2, 3...
    - switch side

got up to 5 and 5 cleans @ 35lbs. I'm a lil sad because i had noted that I did 6 full rounds the last time around (which would've taken me another minute at least). But maybe that was with a light KB or maybe I didn't note properly.

I then did a pretty solid hollow hang from the rings for 35s and decided I was going to build myself up to a minute and then work on the monkey bars because that's a skill I want to have for the mud runs I wanna do this summer :)

Ah, and added in 5 hang power snatches @ 45 to see if I had the muscle memory still intact. But I was so wiped out it was pretty pathetic. lol
  • danirosevoelkel
    danirosevoelkel Posts: 511 Member
    edited January 2015
    First of all, it's highly motivating to read all your workouts and to see all us ladies rockin it at the gym day in and day out. So thank you :) and Keep on keeping!

Last night was Workout A I think

Squats 5x5 @ 0lbs, just body weight as I'm really working on form and movement memory for when I attempt the bar again. They are improving!

Bench Press 5x5 @ 50 lbs
    , This was really easy and felt great. Can't wait to bump it up to 55 next round

Barbell Row 5x5 @ 55lbs
    , I think I just barely got this form right. I used to make the bar touch the floor on each rep, however with such little plates right now, that's not really possible to touch the floor and keep good form. So I eliminated the floor touch and I think I finally got it right :) I am however going back to bare bar for at least one week to check form

Assisted Pull ups 5x5 @ 94lbs
    , I was using the 100lbs assist and this was quite a jump and very hard on my already sore arms. But it was doable. Will stay here for at least a week before lowering again.

And of course 100 burpees. Did a fit test, how many burpees can you do in 5 mins and got 40 of them. It's slow, but I'm improving as just 5 days again I got to 50 in 7 mins.

I'm also looking at how you all warm up, I think I'm going to try to start doing that as well. I keep forgetting about the warm up sets.

Have a great day lovelies :)

• Made it out of the house today but don't know if I'll make it to the gym. Still feeling tired, headachy, stuffed, and grumpy. We'll see how I feel once I get home. Seems that every time I get my squat up to 125, something happens to prevent me from getting to the gym. Boo!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Baby woke me up at 10pm last night, didn't get back to sleep (me, not her...) until 11:30pm. Alarm went off at 4:25am and I shut it off!!! Officially got out of bed after arguing with myself about going to the gym around 6:15am and decided I was taking an hour of "sick/vacation" time today so I could hit the gym before work. Priorities right?!?
    Side Note - I am VERY lucky to work a flexible schedule :smile:

SO...based on less gym time, I did 3x5 only. Plus, both racks were full when I got there.
    Squats - 1x5 @85lbs, 1x5 @ 95lbs, 2x5@ 110lbs, 1x8@ 110lbs.
    The last set I put a box under my bum to see about the whole parallel thing. I definitely hit parallel or below without the box, that thing just hindered me.

Rows - 3x5@ 80lbs.
    Dang lower back is sore now! Im sure my form was off :-(

Bench - 1x5 @ 55lbs, 3x5@ 65lbs.
    These felt good, but I want to work on hand position to work different areas of the chest

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Non-lifting day, so I went and did the Grit Strength class followed by treadmill walking. It's a new routine from before as they change up every once in a while and I missed the first week with this new one as I wanted a day off last week. I may have hit my head again, but this time just the back with the bar so.. yeah. And it involved burpee attempts which I can't do. I still use the wall for pushups so my burpee was put hands to ground, then slowly put legs back to an almost pushup position, then try and get back up. My right elbow is not a fan of those at all. Did lots of clean&press, rows and squats with 30 lbs so it wasn't too bad overall. Though had issues with rows.

However, I talked to the instructor after about the rows and she helped me a little on form. I pull up towards my chest because pulling to my stomach doesn't give much room to pull which leads to me not feeling it where I should (I have a big stomach and can't do knee pushups cause of it still). She had me try a different grip if I'm going to pull up higher as I have been and also suggested I start using two bars in the class so I can lift heavier on the rows. I still struggle to feel it much but she said my form is actually good on them, so I'll take that and keep plugging away.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Workout B
    Squat 155 lbs 5x5 I did my warm ups with my 2 paint cans stacked up to make sure I was hitting parallel. I find them too distracting at working weight but it should (I hope) get my muscle memory getting depth. T
    OHP 55 lbs 5x5 deloaded these last time so this was a cake walk, it is amazing what 15 pounds can change for my weak little arms
    Deadlift 205 lbs 1x4 blah just couldn't get the last one of these out I will try again on Saturday. I figure I will break a 5 rep set at 200+ lbs eventually

I must say I have been struggling with somethings and it is very nice to have lifting. It's my me time, it's when I feel good and strong and nothing else matters except for picking up the barbell and setting it back down again.