Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Glad to see everyone swimming away.
    Due to illness and a church fast, swimming for me will have to wait another week till next week.
    Happy swimming y'all!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    AQ, it's probably about time your body had a little rest anyway. Feel better & get all rested up.....

Bruce, you keep blowing those personal records away!!!!!

Welcome back to the water, Ronnie!!!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Double Dip day.
    1000m at noon 35 min and swim lessons tonight mixed exercises 700m in 60 mins.
    The last thing we started working on was the dreaded flip turn. When I drop my chin to my chest I keep turning my head like I want to get a breath so it causes me to do a corkscrew summersault. At least I recognize what the big error is, correct that and work on the small errors later.

Great swimming folks. Motivation for me to keep improving.

Noel: Its a Jelly bean in the jar.

Macstraw: thanks for all the encouragement and guidance!!

I am going to get some Green and Red Jelly beans.
    When I have a good day it will be a green. Bad day a red.
    See what the jar looks like at the end of a 5 week cycle. ( thank goodness for nieces and nephews who love Jelly beans- lets me empty the jar into there goody bowls )
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1500 ~45m

I have a watch that is supposed to track time and distance, and it's mostly good when I am just swimming laps. It's crap for drills, and that's what I am doing a lot of right now, as my swim instructor is all excited because I don't mind homework, and that seems to be the bulk of my workout these days. (As it needs to be. When you do 100,000 repetitions of an action the wrong way, it takes time to reprogram yourself!)

• gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Great swimming - and mutual support - people. I enjoy reading everyone's successes, and also sympathise with the frustrations - body woes, feeling like you are the slowest swimmer in the pool at times, stamina stalling, work getting in the way etc.

Anyway today was not a record setting swim (1200m, 45mins, lots of drills, plus quite a lot of sneaky waiting at the ends to be honest). It took a strong coffee and a chocolate wafer in the pool's cafe first ..... and a bit of stern talking to myself!

But at least I did it. And I do feel a lot better for it now.

• Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 65 minutes PB
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Juliet - you just got the biggest point with the flip turn, dropping the chin straight down to the chest without turning the head. One thing that will help is to keep the thought that you don't want to take a breath within at least the last 2 strokes into the turn so that you're not turning in that span. The other big key is to not pick the head up to look at the wall, you lose all your forward momentum if you do that. Instead, pick up the little "T" end of the line on the bottom of the pool & figure where you need to start your flip in relation to that. Once you know where that is, you can concentrate on looking at the bottom of the pool & just pull the chin down to your chest at the right point.....

Gently - today is a BIG victory for you, the difference between us before we were committed & the us that's doing this now is getting in there on days where we feel like this. That's why I'm so appreciative of the friends I have on here & the swimmers in this group, you guys definitely keep me motivated to get there even when I don't feel like it. In the past, I'd blow off those days & it became easier & easier to keep finding reasons to not go until I wasn't going at all. Now, when I wake up on those days I think of al the work you guys are putting in & it gets me out of bed & to the pool. Not happily sometimes, but I DO get there....

Noel - you are so right about trying to reprogram a habit like that. It's so much more difficult to unlearn & relearn than it is to get it right from the start....

All free again today, my standard distance workout: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes. Rest intervals were a bit better than yesterday, although I started out with heavy arms, they loosened up fairly quickly & I felt better than I expected to.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    40 minutes of drill and practice. Something is changing. I felt that elusive rhythm that I've been seeking. The pool was crowded and I found out that with the right lane, I really enjoy sharing a lane. I don't mind circle swimming at all. It keeps me going and pushes me to turn around and go when I reach the end. I have some mental hurdles that circle swimming just doesn't allow for. Last night there seemed to be a lot of adult beginners. I love seeing that because although I'm not fast, and I stop a lot, I can see that nobody cares. Everybody is there for one reason: water time.

Noel, I totally get your trying to undo things learned wrong. It's basically what I'm doing each day. I'm grateful for your jelly bean analogy though. It reminds me that those "bad" days are really important. They probably feel bad because something is going right and it feels new and different.

gently, a coffee and chocolate wafer at the pool cafe?? Wait a minute! I can get crappy coffee and popcorn, neither of which I want. I'd swim for coffee and chocolate too.

Juliet, I put a jelly bean in my jar last night and realized that SMALL beans I bought! It's going to take forever to fill this (very small) jar! I'm not ready to visually see the good vs bad days yet. There might be too many bad beans in there, lol. It IS motivation to keep going though. When I started swimming, I couldn't go running. I told myself I'd see what it did for my body through Christmas and then make a decision about whether or not to continue. Well, here I am!

~Curly
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    The point of the jellybean analogy is to get away from quantifying and overanalyzing each workout. The fact they happen consistently and build up a volume of work is the important thing.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Masters Swim last night. Practice for the swim meet coming up. Which I have signed up for. 50 m free, 100 m free and 1500 m free on a long course. This will be my first meet.
    Swim was a series of 50 m timed sprints with good breaks in between plus one 100m sprint.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Noel - you hit it exactly, any work is better than none & there are benefits derived from every workout, both good & bad. At the very least, you're getting some work for the muscles & getting the heart rate up. Sometimes a "bad" workout can be good, it creates something for you to compare a good workout to & it teaches you that you can get through a day where you don't feel right....

Curls - that is great news, it's a direct result of getting in the water consistently. Sharing with the right group can be a BIG asset, as it causes you to push yourself to either keep up or stay ahead....

Ashen - fantastic, can't wait to hear how the meet went.....
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The point of the jellybean analogy is to get away from quantifying and overanalyzing each workout. The fact they happen consistently and build up a volume of work is the important thing.

Noel, you started this Jelly Bean thing.:) Maybe if we don't like Jelly Beans..put a "$$ bill "in the jar? Volume of work=new whatever at end of year.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    LOL. Hey, yeah, if I put money in the jar for every workout, I can afford to get to Dover and hire a pilot! I like it! ('Course at my level of swimming skill, that's something of a dangerous pipe dream, but it's a dream, dammit!)

1300 38:36 Oh, my hiney is sore from the kicking drills....
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    18x50@30 minutes, plus 4x50 with fins.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Great work, Noel & Bama!!!!

Felt really good in the water today, but I stuck to the plan & did all freestyle again - I will work on the I.M.'s again in a few weeks when I'm back for good. It was, however, VERY tempting to try them today...
    -
    Today was yet again 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes....
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 69 minutes
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1500 42:41
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Stuck to the freestyle plan again today: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 in 114 minutes....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    40 min last night. Just freestyle and legs with a board. Felt pretty good, although not at a "workout" pace by any stretch.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Curly, my first thought is that any workout is a good workout. The second thought is that sometimes we need days with an easier workout to allow our muscles time to heal properly, yet you're doing enough to keep loose & ready for the next bigger workout day....