Options

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    upsaluki wrote: »
    Tomorrow is a rest day.

Glad to hear it, I might start catching you on Strava!! You are really rocking that route at the moment. Have fun, stay safe and healthy.
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Robbie, the intermediate group I run with has a small group of regular runners, it is just advertised on their FB page. Three of the regulars have to travel to get here so with the bad weather they probably can't be bothered making the journey. There is 1 other regular but she has had a bad cold, hopefully she will be back next week. There is a new beginners group started this week and there were 4 people already turned up before I left so I don't feel so bad about the group leader having a 14 mile round trip on his bike! (He doesn't drive).

Today I could hardly get dressed! New weight lifting routine has made me really sore. Today was upper body again then a 30 minute run for Jantastic. Legs felt heavy and I counted down every single minute! Actually only did 29 minutes as I started feeling light headed and nauseous at the 20 minute mark so took the short way home, but ssshh! Don't tell Jantastic!

When I got home my Skechers Go Run Ultras had arrived. Tried them on and they felt very cushioned in the midfoot and heel but not so cushioned in the forefoot, and I am a forefoot striker. But when I compared them to my Asics they felt much more cushioned in the forefoot so looking forward to giving them a try.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    @romyhorse I'm searching for the right shoes. I've decided I probably need a wider toe box. My next pair will be C or D width, even though when they measure my feet at the store, they say B is fine. I think my blister/ excessive callous issues will be better with a wider toe box. (I'm a forefoot striker too.)

My run yesterday was really bad and really good all rolled into 4 miles. I really didn't feel like running. My body isn't used to running 3 days in a row. It was cold and windy, but I didn't want to go to the gym since I had intentionally left work early enough to run outside before dark. My RunDouble app wasn't working right (it stopped talking to me. I kept thinking, "I know I've run more than 5 minutes, where's my status?!" The first time I looked at the app was at 6:32 in and my pace was 10:22. The first mile or so SUCKED and I almost turned around at least twice. But I hung in there and did a pretty decent job of not looking at the app for my pace. I glanced a few times to see how far I had run so I'd know if I needed to change my route to add more distance. I stopped at 4.08 miles in 40:55.

Splits from Strava:
    xqis65e4ifxr.jpg

Definitely resting today ahead of a scheduled 8 mile run on Saturday.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Ceci, have you tried Nike running shoes? They have a very wide toe box even on the standard fitting, I tried a couple of pairs but they were too wide for me.

Didn't try out my new shoes today, read some reviews and they said they were trail shoes and when you wore them on the road they wore down really quickly, you would only get 200-300 miles out of them. That wouldn't be too bad at that price but they aren't usually that cheap. Waiting to hear back from a woman on the FB group who runs regularly in them before I decide.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    My last couple of pair have been New Balance which have a pretty wide toe box too.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Wow - it's really easy to get behind if you miss a day on this thread!

Yesterday was a run day for me, so I did 5.5k around the neighbourhood (41 minutes). I did need to distract myself a bit during that first 1.5k by practicing counting my cadence between phone poles. Usually I will start off counting my left foot strike, get momentarily distracted, and before I know it I've started counting all the steps. :s:# Figured I might as well practice a bit before I do actual drills. LOL Other than the usual stops at crosswalks (or for ice), there was only one walk break which happened at the top of a hill (km 5) after I had to stop for traffic mid-hill. I doubt I would have needed to walk if it wasn't for that interruption... think it threw off the mindset that I need to beat a hill and keep going, if that makes sense.

You've given me some things to consider about my running shoes. Perhaps they aren't as far gone as I suspected. They are Brooks Ghost 6 with about 300 running km on them - still comfortable and no nagging pains at the moment. When rotating shoes in, do you typically go with the same shoe or do you experiment with different shoes?
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Great work everyone. Romy, that must be tough trying to work in weights too. I ordered a kettlebell, but it was either misdelivered or swiped off my front porch. So I won't have to find out for a bit.

Robbie, you're sure to catch me. I'm coming down with a cold. I think I'm going to skip my long day. Hopefully, it will be a short one.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Romy hope the DOMS has calmed down, new routines can be really unkind like that. Remember the rest is when the repair and strengthening occurs. 14 miles on a bike to lead a session, a dedicated man! Look after him.

Ceci, you did it though, you got through the issue and managed, well done. Hope you got some good rest and look forward to hearing how your long run goes.

Skye nice going, sounds as though you have the early walk break licked. Pop in, pop out, it's fairly easy here. I love the support here and the motivation of seeing how others are doing when I feel less motivated to get out.

I doubled up on Thursday just because I got a call requiring a 0530 start at work on Friday with a warning that due to the problems at work we were likely to have a 12+ hour stint. The thought of getting up at 0300 to do an interval session did not appeal and doing it after work was even less appealing. I never consistently got to the sprint pace indicated, close but not there. It was the first sprint session I have done in a long time and my mind struggled to push through the stress. I always hated rowing sprint sessions, that just hurt. It is at times like those that I envy those people with training partners who can help push them through those weak willed moments. However the session certainly fatigued the legs. Looking forward to the slightly less severe session next week (rolls eyes). Got out last night for a very easy paced recovery session, I needed to get out after being cooped up all day. Went well, HR slightly elevated but nothing serious. Because I was going to struggle to find time to do the long run on Sunday I have taken advantage of Thursday to advance Saturdays and Sundays runs a day, so have a long run today. Then get Sunday and Monday off. Woo hoo.

Have fun, hope your training/ fun running goes well.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I woke up yesterday with the cold :\ That's probably why I had felt light headed during my run on Thursday. Leg day in the weights program yesterday, not sore today so thankfully my body has adapted quickly. Upsaluki, I love weights, I am sure it helps my running but I just do it cause I wanna look good! (quoting Shaun T :p ) This weekend my long run is 8km so should be doable even with my cold. In situations like this I always have a lesser goal that I have to complete before I can quit, today it is 30 minutes so I can get in my 4th Jantastic run. Just waiting to see if it is going to start snowing again.

Skye, great to hear your runs are improving!

I've decided to keep the Skechers and try them out. No one in the C25K group has worn them long enough to comment on wear but everyone who has them loves them. They are really cushioned and help if you suffer from PF. What swung it for me is that they are going to be releasing a road version.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Romy good luck with whatever you end up doing, lets hope that your cold doesn't impact too much.

Got the long run in, pushed it to 13.1 miles mainly a mix of .25 mile at 30 sec per mile faster than HM pace with 0.75 miles at easy pace. Worked out well but really tired now. Looking forward to 2 days of rest and recuperation and then a low intensity week. Lets hope the last 2 weeks end up with some performance gains.

Good luck with your training/ runs and have fun
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Got my 8km in with my new shoes, felt good but had a hot spots on the balls of my feet afterwards, nothing to serious. Time looked faster but my phone crashed so not sure how accurate that was. Cold isn't too bad, think the 6 months of anti virals I had to take at the end of 2013 are still helping, this is my first cold in 2 years.

Enjoy your easy week Robbie, sounds like you have earned it.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Ceci, good to hear your runs are going well, even if you're dodging twits on the inside track. On the shoe front, perhaps contemplate mens shoes in the smaller size. They generally have a much larger toe box. Altra is a brand that has wonderfully large toeboxes too.
    On the Hydration front, when it's hot if the run is over 5k I'll either carry a bottle of water with me, or ensure the route has a bubbler at the mid point. When it was cooler, I was doing 10mile without worrying about hydration on the run. That said I tend to drink in the region of 4-6L of water a day, so I'm generally pretty darn hydrated :)

Robbie, in Aus pretty much every house has a tap in the front yard. I made sure I chose ones that were super obvious from the street (and it didn't look like anyone was home) As a friend said, if anyone was home they would probably prefer I use the tap, rather than pass out on their front lawn.
    You've been having some good runs mate, enjoy the days off and the low intensity week. I'm looking forward to my cutback week, when I finally get it. (Running without a plan, you'd think it would be easy to just slot one in LOL)

Romy, have you contemplated using a hydration pack, so you can take regular and semi constant little sips? I hope the regulars for jog scotland start returning so it's not just you and your son. Glad you two are persisting though!
    Running through DOMS absolutely sucks! Good work on getting through it.
    I've got a friend who has a pair of sketchers. I can't remember what model though. He loves them for road, but they are horrible on trail.
    Glad to hear the cold isn't too bad and you're liking the shoes. Hope the hotspots aren't on going!

Sal, glad your knee is good. I hope you don't have a cold and you're all good quickly!

Skye - Yup, so easy to get left behind here. Especially when everyone is running. Sounds like you had a good run. Any stop mid hill is a bugger to get going again from!
    If you're not getting any niggles, keep going with your current shoes. My Brooks Cascadia's have just ticked over 1500km. Longevity in shoes is definitely affected by your running style. As for rotating shoes (I'm not doing it yet) If you're happy with your current shoes and can afford them, I'd stick with the same make/model. If you're not 100% happy with your current shoes, then it's time to experiment.
    Personally I'll be experimenting with my next set. I'm happy with my Cascadia's but they have just released the new model, so I'm not sure if I'll risk the $250 on the newer model. Honestly even if the same model were still available I'd probably risk experimenting as that's still a heap of money to lay down on shoes.

Ok so it's been a bit since I updated with my runs. Thursday ended up being just over 11k. I wasn't sure if I was doing 10 or 15k when I headed out. It was much cooler than the nightmare run in hell I did the day before. I still made sure I carried water this time.
    Friday was trails, I skipped my hill repeats and simply did a trail run, a nice 15k where I ended up with a strava CR without meaning to. It was a nice run, with some good efforts on the back half. I actually ran into a couple on the trail who seemed to be having a date night and enjoying the views of the city from the hills where I run. Had a quick chat with them before finished. This morning I had parkrun. I was the RD this week. Normally I can still get my run in when RD'ing, but our tail walker didn't show up so I had to be the tail walker, it actually wasn't a bad change.
    Then this afternoon I participated in a study regarding carrying a backpack of different loads. I showed up the study location, had a heap of reflector dooblalackies stuck to me and I had to run over a small distance multiple times at different speeds, carrying different weights (0, 10% and 20% of body weight) It was actually kind of cool helping with the study. There were 3 speeds to run at. 3m/s, 4m/s, 5m/s which works out to about 5:30min/km, 4:10min/km and 3:30min/km. I struggled the most with the 4:10 pace. I pretty well went too fast or too slow. All runs (to be counted) had to be within 5% of the required pace.

Apparently on the sprints I was the fastest they have had yet and I seemed to dial in the paces a lot faster than the others, I generally had 1 test run and then into the measured runs. It was quite cool and I'm looking forward to seeing both the video of my running and the 'animated' video of my runs that shows exactly what sort of angle I have on foot placement etc. I know when carrying 20% of my body weight and running at 3:30 pace I am definitely a heel striker, although not by a horrendous amount.
    The 5:30min/km pace runs felt like I was shuffling. It is ridiculous how much the distance you need to hold a pace can effect how it feels.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Skye, my approach to rotation is partly through work/ life balance and partly from a recognition that it helps mitigate the shin splints i've suffered in the past.

I keep a pair at work, and a pair at home of the same model. That means the home pair are getting all the long runs on them, although I also have my trail shoes that don't neatly fit into the cycle. I've kept an eye on them, to track the mileage and I'm contemplating bringing another pair of road shoes in now. I started using Runkeeper, with the Shoe Tracker service, but now Strava and Garmin both have gear tracking as well, but it's going to take a bit of time to transition as they're playing catch up.

Anyway, this morning was 21.2km, reasonably slow on mixed terrain. Partly wanting to slay the injury demon and partly to get the weeks miles in. A reasonable pace on a circular route, listening to Scott Jurek again. Inspiring stuff really. Lovely day, to the extent I had my shades on. I tried out honey stingers as fuel, rather than my SIS Gels which I'd found sat a little heavy in the last 5Km of the half in October. They settled better, although I'm not sure if they actually had any real effect. Certainly a lot easier than a gel, no mess.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    My run today was AWESOME!!! I did 8 miles in 1:20:08. That's almost a full minute faster per mile than my fastest time for running at least 8 miles! I also had a PB for the 10k part of the course I ran today (1:00:57). Of the 3 Strava users who have run the course, I have the best time!

The girl who leads my cycling group is also a runner and tweaked my training plan to include some speed work. Next Tuesday I'm supposed to do hill repeats. :neutral_face:

I'm shopping for a new pair of shoes because I figure these will be worn out before my race unless I rotate in a new pair.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, well done, great news on the PB and 8 mile run. It makes the runnning around the hamster wheel worthwhile. You do need to rotate a pair of shoes in or start with a different pair. The last thing you need is a change in footwear in the last week/ days. From memory didn't you have problems initially with the pair you are using now?

Have fun and bask in the success.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    I have really had trouble getting shoes that I like. I'm not real happy with the latest ones, but they will have to do until I can get new ones. (I'm not one to waste money, so I will wear these out!) I keep thinking I will have that magical moment when I run in shoes and decide these are the ones that I want to wear forever! HaHa!

I REALLY did not want to get outside yesterday because the weather was awful! Since my gym is not open on Sunday I had the option of using my in-laws' treadmill or bundling up and going outside. I opted for outside. It was only 2 miles, so it wasn't too bad. Finished in 19:18.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Ceci, I don't love my Asics but they do the job so I understand what you are saying. I ran 4km in my new Skechers today and was about 30 seconds a km faster on the same route. Don't know if it is the shoes or me just running faster! I am leaning towards the latter because I felt more tired this week, but I didn't have the cold last week nor had I just taken my dog for a long walk in a hilly field. I also have a pain in my butt today! Don't know if it is my glute or my hip joint, but it wasn't sore enough to stop me working out.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Great work on the PB's Ceci! A bit of speedwork will see your times drop bigtime! Hill repeats aren't -that- bad... Glad you got a run in, 2 miles is a lot better than nothing :)
    Hope you find the right shoes to rotate in, definitely want miles on them before the race.

Sounds like a good run Romy!, and the sketchers seem to be working for you.

Monday was a public holiday here (Australia Day) so I dragged my butt out of bed stupid early, to go a group trail run starting around 6am. 17km or so, some good hills and good trails we were back at the start. Lots of stopping at turns, both for slower people to catch up, so we stayed as a group and so we didn't get lost, really enjoyed the run.

Tonight was the group run, I got 7k in before, shuttles for 3k having a chat and then the main social run. I felt like I was struggling a bit during the main run, but managed to knock out my fastest ever time on the 'final' 100m sprint. It wasn't actually my final time on the stretch with the loop backs, but it was the only with speed. Looks like my pre summer cold fitness is returning.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Great work Ceci, Romy and taeliesyn!

I finally got out today after taking a few days off this weekend. I was running down and getting a small cold. Todays run was 3X hills (600 Yards ) that I extended out to three miles. It was amazing how much I had to push myself to keep going after only being off for 5 days. Feeling good now though. More snow here too. I'm ready for winter to be over, but we have a few more months to go.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Nice work guys, taeliesyn nice to see your fitness coming back. Upsaluki, after a few days off, I confess I would not have started with hill repeats, they can be brutal at the best of times. I would have done an easier workout you had missed and skipped the hill repeats until you were back in the swing of things. Different folks, different strokes.

2 days rest and suffering the Ceci moment, I started out running this morning and the first 10 minutes just sucked, couldn't get in a rhythm, niggles everywhere, even my shoes, which have never given me a problem. 1st fast interval stank, either couldn't get to pace or then went straight through it, over the 5 mins it was too fast. Interval 2 and 4 in the zone, interval 3 too slow, but was on a 3% grade. Overall planned session completed, a cruise interval session, done almost spot on target paces as a set of averages. Very easy run tomorrow.

Enjoy your fun everyone.