Options
poke987
poke987 Posts: 348 Member
What was your run today?

Replies

• poke987
    Options
    Today was a day off, but since my son had swim lessons, I had to be at the ymca anyhow. So, I did 30 mins on the elliptical and walked a mile on the treadmill. 45 mins total. Tomorrow will be my longer run, assuming I can fit it in before the snowstorm.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Off day today. 21k Saturday 8) Wheeewww.
  • pimpin_po
    pimpin_po Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    45 minutes on elliptical for XT today. I used up all my miles for the week already! Darn that 10% rule.
  • poke987
    Options
    Woke up to snow already falling and with the ice we already have... no pavement for me today. Boo. Plan is to flip flop the long run to tomorrow, but hubby and older kids had a full day of snowmobiling planned. Not sure I'll fit it in before they leave... wonder if I can rope a girlfriend in to come watch the littles so I can still get my miles?!
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    21k done!!...Feeling good atm :D
  • poke987
    Options
    Way to go!
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    21k done!!...Feeling good atm :D

Wow well done! I did a 5k parkrun this morning in the ice. Might try and fit in a run tomorrow as well if I can find the time.

Long run next week is 8.5 miles, almost looking forward to it... ;)
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Snow/ice last night, so 8 miles on the treadmill today. I'm hoping to get outside tomorrow for another 8/10 miles before the next storm moves in. I did a trail run on smow a few weeks ago and it was really hard on my back so I'm trying to avoid a repeat.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I ran 8 miles today in a PB 1:20:08. It was AWESOME! I ran at my local national park and the weather was perfect! Temp in the 50's and sunny.
  • poke987
    Options
    AZ: 8 miles on the treadmill. I'm impressed. I hate the treadmill with a passion! Ceci: 50 and sunny, sounds like bliss! I did 4.28 in 40:15. The roads were terrible, super slushy and wet so I didn't go as far as I wanted... but it really wasn't safe out there! My running buddy insisted we turn back, it wasn't worth the risk, she said. I listened.
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    12.5 miles today. I'm super slow but it was so nice to run outside. The trail was mostly clear, with a few slushy/muddy sections.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Cross training day today so Biked and Yoga.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Today's run was a quick 2 miles (19:18). The weather was horrible, but I sucked it up and got it done.
  • GreatCthulhu
    GreatCthulhu Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    4.5 miles done in 50 minutes. I am starting to notice my speed improving and I really didn't struggle during this run. Going to try and add a longer weekend run as well, but I will need to buy more kit as the laundry can't handle it! Getting my gait analysed too, as I figure it is worth investing in good shoes
  • poke987
    Options
    Yes, get fitted for sneaks, I was happy to get evaluated and buy the right pair... but now, I've been having some IT band pain, and even though I got the new sneakers in june, I think they are part of my trouble. If i added correctly (and logged every run on the map my run ap) they only have shy of 300 miles on them. The store told me 500 then replace... I'm disappointed not sure if they are maybe not the right shoe after all, or just dead early... still investigating, trying to figure it out. Ran 6.04 (1:03:41) in an older pair, and no pain today. Hummm. It was cold, 18F when I left, but with blizzard tomorrow I knew I needed to get it done. Hubby met me on snowmobile, as the last 2 miles of this route are trail, and I wasn't up for that. Zipping home was fun

I know what you mean about gear. I've slowly added, and now my "workout" drawer is one of the largest! Not to mention the coats and vests that hang... sigh.
  • FireStorm1972
    Options
    Yes definitly get fitted properly. I have slight overpronation so i bought some Brooks Ravenna 5's, they now have 700+km on them and am in new Saucony Grid 7's. As for IT band syndrome, I also dealt with that on some runs. I found foam rolling the IT band helps alot, before and after my runs, short or long.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    poke987 wrote: »
    .... they only have shy of 300 miles on them. The store told me 500 then replace...

Generally you'd expect somewhere between 300 and 600 miles, subject to your weight, gait, and the terrain that you run on. You should get a half marathon training cycle and race out of a pair, although personally I rotate several pairs.

IT Band Syndrome is less about the shoes as your glute and core strength, or overtraining. I managed to give myself ITBS on a trail half at the end of last season, which was largely as a result of ramping up too rapidly after illness.

• poke987
    Options
    Hummm, wonder if I should go get my sneakers replaced. Any way to tell by looking at them, or just by how they make me feel and milage?

I'm just under 140lbs, 5'5, and run mostly pavement.

It could be over training... i admit that I didn't do much research, just started running and added miles with reckless abandon... no 10% increases, just jumped around what I felt like I could do. Also, at the time IT pain began I was biking a lot, with 2 kids in a trailer.... and also started a lifting routine... so... likely my fault there.

I got a foam roller At Christmas. Trying to make time to use it daily, but don't always get to it... snowed in today, so no excuse!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really sound like shoes are your issue tbh.

fwiw the jury is out on foam rollers for ITBS. The IT Band is a strap of inflexible tissue, so rolling it out shouldn't really help and doesn't address the cause of the tightness, which is generally going to be more about stability and core strength.

Cycling can also exacerbate the issue, particularly if your riding is hamstring dominant or you're pulling rather than spinning.
  • poke987
    Options
    What I had read about the roller was maybe more for the hip, which in turn helped with the IT? I'd read some hip stretching and exercise helps. What's your opinion on that?

Now that it's too cold to bike with the kids, I've laid off completely. Knee pain isn't getting better though.

Do you think it matters that I always run hills? We live on the side of a hill, either way I run I end up going up and down the whole way. I personally feel, this combined with the grade of the road is what's causing the most difficulty