Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• infinitysmuse
    infinitysmuse Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just joined also, finished week one then accidently repeated the third day last night... i know i need to slow down and buy good shoes and work on form and breathing correctly, and I thank all of you because i know it can be done if i just stick with it :)
  • Gloww33
    Gloww33 Posts: 12
    Options
    I am on week one, day two--I am already really sore. I decided to join a running group, so I have some support locally too. I am veryslow out of the gate, but love this program. I can't believe how out of shape I am in, when I can't run for one minute without feeling like I am dying slowly......haha I think I can make it :)
  • mishycat74
    mishycat74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Week 1 Day 2 completed. Felt very slow today but that could be because I had just finished a busy 12 hour night shift. :p
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Gloww33 wrote: »
    I am on week one, day two--I am already really sore. I decided to join a running group, so I have some support locally too. I am veryslow out of the gate, but love this program. I can't believe how out of shape I am in, when I can't run for one minute without feeling like I am dying slowly......haha I think I can make it :)

Of course you can make it :)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/AglaeaC/view/lessons-from-week-1-of-c25k-562995
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Finished W2D1of C25k yesterday. I was feeling good, so I decided to try to run through one of the walking portions and I did it! I ran at 5mph for 5 minutes straight! I added a minute onto another run portion and ran through the last walk portion as well. I am really proud of myself! BTW, if you are looking for a really great song to add to your workout playlist, Pitbull's Shake Senora is AWESOME!!! Be warned though, you might start treadmill dancing, but you won't care because the song is just that good. I must look like a total tool at the gym, lol! I can't wait to do day two on Saturday!
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    W2D2 last night. My knees are sooo sore! I would think that things would loosen up part way through the session but no. Going to incorporate some extra stretching today to see if that helps. I've got new running shoes. I'm only running about 3.0-3.5 mph on a treadmill. I've been walking several miles for several months prior to starting C25K. When do you know if it is sore from lack of use vs sore from injury?
  • vikkiitoria
    vikkiitoria Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Completed week 3, and since it's still a bit early in the week i'm gonna repeat day 3 before the week is done :) week 4 here I come!
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Just finished Day 3 of Week 4. Trying not to psyche myself out ahead of time of the 20 minute jog that is coming at the end of week 5!
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Done my D1, W1 today I went a little bit over what was recommended on the plans I managed to keep going for 40 mins as I already have a good base fitness spinning and fast trail walking. I must stick to the plan though as I know to much to soon will lead to injury, just enjoyed it so much I couldn't stop B)
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    W2D3 tonight. My knees are sore so I'm going to take it much slower than I have been. Concentrating on my form.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    W2D2 last night. My knees are sooo sore! I would think that things would loosen up part way through the session but no. Going to incorporate some extra stretching today to see if that helps. I've got new running shoes. I'm only running about 3.0-3.5 mph on a treadmill. I've been walking several miles for several months prior to starting C25K. When do you know if it is sore from lack of use vs sore from injury?

I really can't say much about the injury vs. just sore. I know you definitely use different muscles running than walking. Does it hurt all the time or just when you are running/ just after running?

I had knee issues when I first started, but mine was directly related to wearing the wrong kind of shoes. Once I got fitted for the right shoes at a running store, the knee pain disappeared. Wishing you the best!

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    Completed week 3, and since it's still a bit early in the week i'm gonna repeat day 3 before the week is done :) week 4 here I come!

When I was doing C25k, I ran every other day throughout, so finished some weeks early, but just moved on to the next week.

You are doing great!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Just finished Day 3 of Week 4. Trying not to psyche myself out ahead of time of the 20 minute jog that is coming at the end of week 5!

You will be ready for it! Remember to slow down if you need to and just keep moving!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    W2D3 tonight. My knees are sore so I'm going to take it much slower than I have been. Concentrating on my form.

You're right to focus on form, what I found helpful was to increase my cadence, which forced me to take a much shorter pace. The challenge is knees are such a complex joint that its very difficult to advise on the best approach.

It's also worth doins some resistance training as well, to complement the running. The NHS Strength and Flexibility programme is pretty well placed to be used alongside C25K; http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/12-week-fitness-plan.aspx
  • chelm1222
    chelm1222 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Day 1 completed this evening. I had to take a week off because of the flu, but was able to start on the next week instead of repeating a day of Week 2. It actually felt pretty good and I didn't have any issues with running it. It was also the first time running outside since I started this program, so that felt really great. It's supposed to be nice out for awhile around here so hopefully I'll be able to continue running outside.
  • dexteropolis
    dexteropolis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Week 1 day 1 finished my first day i need to practice breathing I think. My brother said two in through nose and one out through mouth is that right? I tried to remember to do that but I was singing to keep my mind off the timer.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    W2D2 completed today. Next run is scheduled for Monday. I think I might skip day 3 and move onto day one of week three. On both days of week two so far I was able to run through some of the walking portions. Today I did that twice, so I ran five minutes at a time. I also ran through the last walking portion since the cool down comes right after that one. Anyone else skip days sometimes? Or should I just stick to the schedule and do W2D3 and not skip ahead?
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    W2D2 completed today. Next run is scheduled for Monday. I think I might skip day 3 and move onto day one of week three. On both days of week two so far I was able to run through some of the walking portions. Today I did that twice, so I ran five minutes at a time. I also ran through the last walking portion since the cool down comes right after that one. Anyone else skip days sometimes? Or should I just stick to the schedule and do W2D3 and not skip ahead?

I didn't skip days, but I don't think it would be an issue, if you feel ok. You don't want to do too much too fast though to prevent injury.
  • nburt72
    nburt72 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    W1D1. Complete! It was a little challenging because if the ice and snow on the ground here in Boston but the sun is shining and it was a great walk/run. Havent exercised in a long time so it was difficult to catch my breathe after the 1min jogs so I ended uo briskly walking the rest after 3 jogging attempts. I am going to walk the whole thing the first week to try and build up a little stamina and then repeat W1D1 again and add the jogging. 5k not until the end of May so I have some time.
  • Gloww33
    Gloww33 Posts: 12
    Options
    Completed my first week, feeling great. Going to be a long road a head of me to get my body back into shape. For a reward, I got myself one of those fancy Nutribullets that blend anything and everything and making some really awesome kale smoothies. Yay me! :)