Daily Check In Thread -- 10k+ version

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Upsaluki, after a few days off, I confess I would not have started with hill repeats, they can be brutal at the best of times.

Not really what I wanted to hear right before I am about to head out for my first ever effort at running hill repeats! But, this made me smile!
    2 days rest and suffering the Ceci moment, I started out running this morning and the first 10 minutes just sucked, couldn't get in a rhythm, niggles everywhere, even my shoes, which have never given me a problem.

I rode yesterday. I will come back are report about my planned hill repeats, if I survive!

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Ceci_O_K wrote: »

Not really what I wanted to hear right before I am about to head out for my first ever effort at running hill repeats! But, this made me smile!

Take them steady and you'll be fine, I am sure. They are a hard workout, but give big benefits. There are three sessions I really dislike, hill repeats, pyramids and beep tests. I am not a true running disciple like taeliesyn and cannot get myself to love them despite the benefits they give ;)
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    MeanderingMammal - Sounds like you had a great run. Congrats on slaying the injury demon! Trail running is a goal of mine, albeit, a long term one at the moment. My favourite place to run is a gravel walking trail in town - it isn't a difficult trail by any means, but the trees, the lake, and even the other people out doing their thing makes me happier than any time that I put in running the sidewalks in my neighbourhood. I'm not at the point where I need more than one pair of full time running shoes, but I think rotating in a new pair while the old one has some life left might be the best plan.

Taeliesyn - $250? Wow, that is pretty steep. Worth it if you absolutely love them, but ouch! To think I chafed at $170 for my Ghosts... they are great shoes but I think I may check out another shop that specializes in fittings before I decide. The last one I went to was highly praised for their service but I found the gait analysis that they did less than satisfying. Especially when my physio asked me a month in why I was wearing a neutral shoe when I clearly needed something with stability. Your group runs and trail runs sound really fun! Sounds like you put a lot of km in the last few days - great work!

Ceci - Congrats on the PB! I'm the same way about my shoes. Which is probably the reason that I get a little shy about going after a new pair...they have to be good because I can't just toss them and grab a new ones.

Romyhorse - Sounds like you're getting faster! Something photography taught me is were often guilty of giving all the credit to the gear and gadgets but when it comes down to it you have to give a nod to the human element. The person behind the lens - or in the shoes, in this case - is the one doing the real work.

Upsaluki - Nice work doing hill repeats after nearly a week off. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Robbie - I'm glad you were able to get through the suck. Enjoy your easy run tomorrow.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    After 4 days off, The Blerch started trying to convince me to skip my planned run before I even opened my eyes Monday morning. It had lots of good excuses too... It WAS cold. Hubby and son WERE still sick. It was too early, I was hungry, and then it was late and so on. Luckily, my husband had the morning off so I was able to eventually get it together and get out for a mid-morning run. I'm glad it did, it was sunny and I warmed up quickly once I got going. I ran Friday's route again, planning to keep an easy-steady pace. Overall I'm happy with it, my pace was about 1:15 slower but it was more consistent AND I didn't have to stop for any reason. One of my knees started bothering me again on Sunday, it wasn't bad during the run but it's been nagging me again last night and today. Think it was more too much (weekend) time on the couch than shoe related but I'll keep an eye on it.

Today is a shovel the driveway and then hide inside where it's warm kind of day. The blizzard seems to have passed us by now. So far it doesn't look like we've been hit too hard, the city shut down as a precaution but not power outages in my area. They're still calling for freezing rain and ice overnight so tomorrow may be a dreadmill day - assuming the gym is open. As someone already said: I'm about done with winter now!

Hope anyone else affected by the storm on the East Coast stays safe and warm. Have a great day everyone.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Well, I survived!

Strava link

4 miles of hill repeats.
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Nice work, I had every confidence. Well done, when's the next hill session? Bet you can't wait ;) . Have fun
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Well done Ceci and upsaluki on your hill repeats. Not something I have tried but it is really hilly where I live so most runs include hills of some variation, though I usually try to avoid the steep ones ;) Taeliesyn, your group runs always sound so much fun!

Skye_NS, as much as I would love to think it was me that was running quicker I think it is mainly down to the new shoes, my friend bought a pair the same time as me and has already set two 5km PBs.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    Nobody told me that hill repeats would work the glutes so much. Ouch!
  • ftrobbie
    Options

That's why we all love them :s

If you do anything make sure it is a very easy run/ bike ride today, just to help the muscles recuperate, flush that waste out.

Very easy run this morning for me, I seem to be suffering from the boredom/ routineness of another very easy pace run in the dark first thing in the morning. Limited opportunities to vary the routes until it is light enough for parks to be open at the same time I run. Enjoy yourselves

• romyhorse
    Options
    Jog Scotland tonight. About 2 hours before it was a blizzard. But the group leader said it was a go. At this point the snow was lying but a bit wet. Forward 2 hours and the wet snow has frozen into an ice rink and I am slipping and sliding my way down the hill, into town. I was the only one to turn up and we managed to find a little circuit that was about 60% clear. There were a couple of beginners turning up as we were doing our stretches at the end so I didn't feel so bad for him making the trip. Had some hot chocolate and thawing out in the bath!
  • Just_Ceci
    Options

That's why we all love them :s

If you do anything make sure it is a very easy run/ bike ride today, just to help the muscles recuperate, flush that waste out.

Ha! No rest for the weary! Got in my scheduled 5 miles after work today. Had a couple of walking breaks up a particularly difficult hill, but overall a good run.
  • Just_Ceci
    Options
    romyhorse wrote: »
    Jog Scotland tonight. About 2 hours before it was a blizzard. But the group leader said it was a go. At this point the snow was lying but a bit wet. Forward 2 hours and the wet snow has frozen into an ice rink and I am slipping and sliding my way down the hill, into town. I was the only one to turn up and we managed to find a little circuit that was about 60% clear. There were a couple of beginners turning up as we were doing our stretches at the end so I didn't feel so bad for him making the trip. Had some hot chocolate and thawing out in the bath!

You are braver than me! I would have bailed on that one for sure!
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Great job getting out in less than ideal conditions Romy and Skye. Ceci, You probably have some real hills in Arkansas. It's pretty flat in my part of southern Wisconsin. My biggest pain in the glutes from hill repeats is finding a hill that's 600 meters long.

I did a four miler yesterday and a five miler today. Really stuggled today. Although I didn't have to wear Yaktrax my energy level was way down. I missed some of my after dinner snacking last night with daddy duty, so that might be the culprit.

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    I have to search for routes without hills around here! I think it will be weird when I'm running my half in Southeast Texas. The route is pretty flat.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Got home from work and sat down with a cup of tea. Decided it was too cold to go out to the garage and lift weights and that it was too cold and icy to go out for a run today. Then I went upstairs, got changed and went out and did it anyway. Ran 5km in 31:17. Since my friend has now had 3 5k PBs with her Skechers (she had another one yesterday!) I decided to try for a PB. Overestimated my fitness and underestimated the effect of my cold, went out too fast and paid for it. The last 300m was uphill (was doing 2km laps with a steep 0.5km downhill section followed by a 1.5km climb back to the start) and I had to walk the last 100m as I thought I was going to throw up.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Romy, I started out a little fast and had a pretty rough run this morning too. Great job getting out there!
  • ftrobbie
    Options
    Ceci, congrats on getting out after the glute burn session. The hill sessions are hard sessions and do require you to give your body a gentle workout or two over the following days. upsaluki, personally, I think your low energy problems are a combination of recovery from a cold and then doing one of the harder running workouts, hills. I think your body is just telling you to take it easy as it gets back up to pace. Romy well done on not succumbing to the weather.

An easy run yesterday on top of rain and ground frost, so I was not as surefooted as I could have been. This morning after 2 dustings of snow, went out and did a sprint session. Of the 6 sprints, only the first got to target pace, 2 were just off and the remaining 3 were just very fast run efforts (Z4 not Z5). So not great, the recoveries were slower than prescribed as well. Was it the cold, the conditions underfoot or the simple fact that I do not have the resolve to hurt myself like that. The first interval had my lungs screaming for relief at the end. I am just a big wuss, the blerch just gnawing away at me. Well I get to do the same fun next Friday so see if I get better or worse. Tomorrow bck to a very easy recovery session and Sunday post rugby training will be a short long run.

Have fun with your training.

• Just_Ceci
    Options
    Romy- a bad run is better than no run at all. Good for you for getting it done!

I got off work too late to run outside yesterday, so put in my 4 miles at the gym in a very good time of 38:32. Going to the shoe store this afternoon in my never ending quest to find the right running shoes! Have a great weekend everybody!
  • romyhorse
    Options
    I don't think I ever got my sprint intervals done as prescribed Robbie but you have to remember these training plans are made for an average runner, one size doesn't fit all.

Great time Ceci.

No running for me today, just weights and ab workout. Was so tired I almost fell asleep on my yoga mat between superman sets. My cold is getting better so hopefully I will be able to fit in my 8km run this weekend. Going to see Shrek the Musical with my youngest daughter tomorrow then we are going out to dinner, so no calorie counting tomorrow!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Good job on getting out there with your runs everyone, just too much to catch up one but ya'll are rocking it. Bad runs happen at times, still better to be out running than not!

Friday night I headed out for a trail HM with a friend. It was just a social run, not a proper HM and the heat took it's toll on us early. Later it cooled and we were running by twilight and headlamp. There were a few wrong turns, I took a tumble, my friend did his ankle (Not swollen this morning thankfully) We pushed on and hit our turn back, or go forward on new loop point.
    We pushed forward on the path of the trail race I did last year. Unfortunately we took a wrong turn so that resulted in following very old tracks, and bush bashing by headlamp. Eventually we made it back to the proper track and got going again.
    Finished the run, both of us trashed with a total distance of 22.8km.
    This morning was parkrun and even though my legs felt fine they were obviously still trashed, or my back was as while running my back was caning me. I think the legs were too tired so not acting as the shock absorbers they should have, resulting in my back trying to do the work.