Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Options

Replies

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Mondays are usually the day I have to drag myself to the gym, but I totally looked forward to it today. I think I'm starting to get into a routine. Woot!

Squats - 70lbs 5x5, it's crazy that after watching so much form stuff, these feel easier than what I started with.

Bench - 65lbs 5x5.

Barbell Row - 60 lbs 5x5

20 minutes elliptical.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    I was proud of myself today and figured I would tell a group of people who at least would maybe appreciate this somewhat...

annnnndd you picked the right group of people. that's amazing. i love the little moments that happen where you astonish yourself, and of course they have to be shared :D

• EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My crappy day started long before I got to work (i really shouldn't open business email before going in). I ended up taking a 3 mile walk during lunch just to try to decompress.

Unfortunately, I was still majorly stressed when I got home, and started my workout with my brain still tuned "to the job".

2X10@65# warmup squats. 10 min stretches.

SQ: 5X5@115#. Kept to 115 to work on my form. Watching the Rippetoe video and reading through the first couple of chapters of Starting Strength gave me a new awareness of my squat form. However, I still breathe opposite of what is recommended. Nearly lost the bar on the 3rd rep on my final set, but recovered in 20 secs to finish. Thankfully no animals were harmed during the exercise.

BP: 5X5@65#. Typically I slog through these, but I was actually energized after doing squats that I belted these out with less than 60s between sets.

PRow: 5X5@70#. I really didn't think I'd be able to do these pendlays, but like the benches, I drove through these with a lot of energy.

Held back on squats until I can find balance. Both Benches and Rows went up 5#s. I surprised myself with those. I'm also still doing my 1x5 assisted pull ups every morning.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Another 4km run.

I have no idea where this sudden urge to run came from. But it helps to clear my head so that's gotta be a good thing

Plus, more calories = more chocolate
  • TheMOC
    TheMOC Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Today was A day.

Squats warm-up plus 5x5 at 95. Legs felt a little bit stiff today.

Bench 90 5/3/2 3/4 /3/2 Why 2 3/4 you may ask? Hubs came to the gym with me today and spotted bench. I got stuck and asked for help. Then became un-stuck. No. Yes. No. Finally DH said make up your mind and lifted it up. Hilarious once I no longer had a bunch of weight on my chest.

Rows 5x5 80 lbs. Got stalled on this weight and had to deload, so hitting it felt awesome.

Wanted to foam roll afterwards but the stretching room had a spin class going on that I didn't want to disrupt. Also DH kept insisting that foam rolling is dumb. He just doesn't know yet.

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Busy day at work yesterday; forgot to post my workout.

Barbell Row, Bent-over 5 5 75
    Standing Biceps Curl, Dumbell 3 10 35
    Standing Calf Raises 5 10 50
    Squat 5 8 75
    Triceps Extension 3 10 15
    Bench Press, Barbell 5 5 62.5
    tricep kickback 3 10 16
    Convict Conditioning Step 2 Horizontal Pulls 5 8
    Convict Conditioning Squats Step 6: Close Squats 3 10

Upper body a bit sore but not bad. I think I am feeling the rows now at 75 pounds. Hard to tell but I believe I am beginning to imagine some definition on my upper back...

@DaivaSimone‌ Yeah right---isn't everyone aiming for a 600 lb squat...not :s

ETA: I've been practicing that OHP hip bounce thing. Think I've got it working. I'll know tomorrow :-)
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Workout A today...
    Squats - NIL, my calves are still killing me from Leg day with the hubby on Sunday!
    Rows - 5x5@ 75lbs
    BH - 5x5 @ 55lbs
    Tricep pulldowns 3x12 @‌ 20lbs
    Seated Row - 2x12 @ 60lbs, 1x8 @‌ 70lbs
    10 pushups from my toes!! Hells ya!

And then off to work :-(
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Back at it this morning! I got in nice and early :smile:
    Workout B today.

Squats: 5x5@100 lbs. These were tough and my 5th rep on sets 4 and 5 were a little shaky. I think I'll repeat here.

OHP: 5x5@55 lbs. Also tough. I rested the full 3 minutes between sets after the first rest period and that helped, but the 5th rep on the last set was pretty ugly. Another repeat here. Sigh.

Deadlift: 1x5@135 lbs. Whew, this about kicked my butt! I usually don't grunt much when I lift, but I definitely did on this one! I did a couple of sets of 5 at 95 lbs to warm up also. I think I'll try 145 lbs next time but I will probably have to use mixed grip.\

I was actually pretty pleased with my workout this morning. Nothing like using 45 lb plates to make you feel like a bad*** :smiley:
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I shoveled snow for an hour for today's workout
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    work out A today.

It went well, even managed all the OHPs but fully expecting to fail when I go up next time. The squats are getting challenging- not sure whether to stick at the weight next time or go up- will see how I feel Thursday.

Squat 42.5kg (94lbs) 5x5
    OHP 22.5kg (50lbs) 5x5
    DL 60kg (132lbs) 1x5

Next DL day will be 65kg and above bodyweight- first goal achieved!
    glwerth wrote: »
    GAH! Second dead lift day when I couldn't complete my reps.

I don't know if I'm having trouble mentally or physically. I'm going to give it one more day at 245 and deload if I can't make the reps next time.

On everything else, I'm plugging along. Made 170 on squats (5x5) which seems great to me.

Those weights are amazing- how long have you been doing this?

hanlonsk wrote: »
    Ok, so I am mostly a lurker... and I am technically not doing actual strong lifts program for various consistancy, logistical and other reasons (read that as "lame excuses" please).

BUT... I was proud of myself today and figured I would tell a group of people who at least would maybe appreciate this somewhat... Normally, when I do bench press it's at the beginning of my workout, before I get too worn down from other stuff. Today, due to bench availability at this silly gym I am at while traveling, it was nearly the last thing I did, so I wasn't expecting anything too great. However... My last set was at 80lbs!!! yay!
    Well done, and an extra well done for still making the effort when travelling around!

• MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I shoveled snow for an hour for today's workout

I heard you guys got buried!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    @MissHolidayGolightly‌, it went West of us. We got about 6 inches of snow. Nowhere near what they were predicting. I'm relieved!
  • lhapple82
    lhapple82 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Back in the gym this morning with Workout B:

Squats - 5x5 85lbs
    -
    Overhead Press- 3/5/4/5/3 65lbs. These were real ugly. I had a feeling with how difficult 60lbs was last week that 65 would be the end of the road for the moment. I may try waiting 5 minutes between each set (including post warm up). As you can see, after 5 minutes, I managed to get 5 reps (barely), but any lower wait time, and I couldn't do it.

Deadlift - 1x5 135lbs

I feel good... After Saturday's debacle, I have a little lingering knot in my shoulder, but epsom salt baths, yoga, and rolling on a lacrosse ball have really been helping!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Bench day! I decided to dial back my accessory lifts... did I already say that in my last check-in post? I'm losing my mind and/or repeating myself lol whatever tomorrow's my birthday; I'm going to be 30 which is crazy cuz I don't feel like I'm going to be 30!

Bench: 3@82.5, 3@92.5, 5@102.5lbs
    Bench: 5x10 @‌ 75lbs
    Bent over DB rows: 5x10 @‌ 40lbs
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Went after my daughter went to bed, and the weight room was super busy! And almost all dudebros. Weight plates scattered everywhere, bars left loaded, etc. Sooo annoying. One cage had a loaded bar, plus various plates leaning up against it. Apparently in was not in use. Who knew? But - saw some guy leg press with 6 45lb plates on each side!! That was insane. Couldn't see who it was across the room, just saw the plates moving.

Anyways...

Squat 5x5 at 105 lbs.

Bench 5x5 at 65 lbs. This was my second time at this weight. Still hard, but I wasn't shaking like last time. If I go up in weight, I think I need to break out the fractional plates.

Row 5x5 at 70 lbs I did bent over rows as it was crowded and I didn't feel like stacking plates.

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Cardio day...42 minutes on the treadmill. I had a good run last week so I was thinking today would feel easy, but I was pretty tired. Can't win em all.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i worked out today, but it was at the Other rec centre, which often leaves me too scattered to properly remember what i did. my intention was to do workout b, and i kind of did. more or less.

squats: eugh. 2x5@45, not-sure x 5@65, i-can't-remember x5@70. i may not have done the full workout because my left shoulder was in really bad shape mobility-wise and could barely deal with the bar. i wasn't even really able to think about the rest of my form. possibly shouldn't have squatted at all, but a workout without squats is a problem in other ways too.

ohp: weirdly enough, not too bad. i did sets of 6 at 40lb since the barbells are fixed. every so often i feel like i'm 'getting' the finer form points from recent research and it's true that the reps when that happens are dramatically easier than the ones where it doesn't-quite.

deadlifts: i don't know, because i don't know the weights of these bars. but i put 45lb plates on the middle-sized one so it was at least 110 and could have been 120. not deadly hard but i was struggling all over the place on the form front today.

so not a good workout, basically. but it was a workout.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Some great lifts here and good to see all the reports over the past couple of days. Hope next time is better for you, Canadian. I ended up going after work even though I was tired and the rockstar didn't seem to help much. Busy day too but at least I didn't have to clean crap from the bathrooms unlike the last two days in a row. *grumbles* Also, slow at gym except for some young guys, so will have fun times to report in other post. :wink:

Workout B

Squat - 5x5 @ 145 - So heavy and yet so close to 150.

OHP - 1x5, 1x4 @ 70, 3x5 @ 65 - Another fail but a little better than last time. Managed to do the rest at 65 instead of dropping down to 60, so it's still a tiny bit of progress.

Deadlift - 1x5 @ 135 warm up then 1x5 @ 190 - It was still rough and I had to re-situate after the first 2 reps. Might repeat again next time. Still hoping to get 200 in the near future.

Leg press (odd, curved seat one) 3x8 @ 90 and some leg machine 3x8 cause I was waiting to deadlift and guy was taking so long. Then 30 minutes treadmill.

Glad I get to sleep in tomorrow.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I've made a decision to keep my OHP at 45 lbs until I can bust out 5 sets of 10 reps. The hip bounce helped but my upper body strength is just not there yet...

This morning:
    Squat 5x6 80 lbs
    OHP 3x5 50
    OHP 2x5 45
    Deadlift 1x5 120

Standing Calf Raises 5 5 50
    Convict Conditioning Step 2 Horizontal Pulls 5x8
    I think I am ready to progress to Step 3 in the CC pull up progression!
    Up in Squats and Deadlift!

@Dawn your lifts are so awesome!
    @canadian any workout done [without harm] is a good workout!

• krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Yowza! New shoes, new preworkout (candy green apple flavor. It's NOMS!), awesome workout!

Started with EMOTM x8 of single leg deadlift x6/leg with 2 30# KB (my lower back was completely shot at the end, but in a good way!)

Then a 6 min AMRAP of
    - 20# DB Renegade rows x4/arm
    - 20# DB half turkish get-up x4/side

managed 4 rounds and 4 rows

Another 6 min AMRAP
    - Double 30# KB power cleans x 3, 6, 9, 12
    - Lateral hand walks x5 left & right x1, 2, 3, 4

Then moved on to doing some squat cleans because I've kinda lost the feel of the move over time.
    65x5
    75x3
    EMOTM x8 - 2 reps @ 85 (and I threw in a jerk at the end of the very last minute, for fun)

Then did some OHP
    65x5
    70x4x5 (and truth be told, I had an extra rep in the tank every set. Wut?)

with some hanging work in between sets. I managed to hold on to the rope for 9 seconds! rofl xD

And I finished off with cable rope face pulls with hip stretches thrown in between sets
    30x15
    45x15
    60x2x15

The new shoes are Ah. Mah. Zing!