Keto?

Options
deejayy89
deejayy89 Posts: 144 Member
Anyone in here doing or been successful on a ketogenic diet? I'm trying it out now. It's always been hard for me to lose weight so maybe this will help. The thought of eating all this fat though kind of scares me.

Replies

• jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    The keto is the really low carb diet, correct? My doctor wants me on an extremely low carb diet, like less than 10g per meal. I don't know if I can do that. Or afford all the veggies and meat for that matter. And I have high cholesterol so I am extremely limited on what I can eat. Obviously I have to go low fat. It appears I am going to be on a mostly vegetarian diet, but I don't know if I can afford that either. There's always the food banks but most of their produce always looks pretty sad.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    There is a low carb MFP group here
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    If you go to the Launch Pad there is a lot of information.
    10 grams per meal (30 grams per day?) is quite low although many people eat that or less. In order to get adequate calories I would expect to include a fair ammount of fat.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It is very important for us to lower our carbs, but I think the key for me is to follow a plan that I can maintain for life. That means a balance of fats, proteins, fiber, and carbs. It is not a "diet". It is the healthiest (for ever) approach to losing/controlling my weight and diabetes. My doctor agrees with me. I have tried the South Beach "diet" several years ago and felt awful on it. I have friends who constantly yoyo on Atkins diets eating very high fat and restricting carbs for a while. Then they 'cheat" with an overload of carbs off and on and before you know it they are eating high carbs and high fats! Needless to say their weight gains are inevitable. I know there are several people on MFP who do Keto but I know it is not a lifetime approach for me. Find what is best for you.
  • kayeiam
    kayeiam Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I eat low carbs.. regular carbs approx 80 to 100 a day, and fiber approx 20 to 33 a day. So net carbs are quite low. I can eat this way the rest of my life. I have done trial and error etc and found this is what works for me. I do not do keto, for I don't feel I could keep that low of carbs for the rest of my life. I do have an open food diary if you all want to take a peek.

Jillshadow, it is almost impossible to eat low carb and low fat. I try to watch my fats, but they are higher over all. I try to eat lean meats/fish. You need some form of protein and that is where I get most of my protein along with nuts.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My doctor doesn't want me to follow extremely low carbs because he doesn't want me to be in a ketogenic state ... he says it's dangerous for the kidney in diabetics, and we already have too much stress on them from the disease and from protein digestion.

I have a close friend who lost weight eating a lot of protein and low carbs and now she has gouty arthritis and kidney impairement. Not worth the chances for me.

That said, I do keep my carbs in check. I have found that under 60 for dinner, under 45 for breakfast and lunch, and no more than 15 for a snack works great for me. That works out to 8 to 9 servings of carbs per day, depending on if I have one or two snacks. .. carbs from fruits, veggies, starches. Most of my starchy carbs come from my breakfast oatmeal and whole wheat Arnold Sandwich Thin bread.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    deejayy89 wrote: »
    Anyone in here doing or been successful on a ketogenic diet? I'm trying it out now. It's always been hard for me to lose weight so maybe this will help. The thought of eating all this fat though kind of scares me.

I've been on a ketogenic diet for a little over a year. 6'4" 38 year old male, I've dropped from 323 to 253 in that year's time. My last 3 A1C's were all under 5 (in the 4.6 range), without having a single low blood sugar/bout with hypoglycemia in the last year. I'm off all blood sugar related meds, off blood pressure meds, and cholesterol is improving. I eat ~20g carbs/120g protein/160g fat a day.

In addition to the low carb group mentioned above, there is a mfp keto group that is very supportive:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

I'd also highly, highly recommend you explore reddit's keto sub, its way more populated than anything here. Specifically, the FAQ, which I think is the single best resource for starter information for someone curious about keto:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have friends who constantly yoyo on Atkins diets eating very high fat and restricting carbs for a while. Then they 'cheat" with an overload of carbs off and on and before you know it they are eating high carbs and high fats! Needless to say their weight gains are inevitable. I know there are several people on MFP who do Keto but I know it is not a lifetime approach for me. Find what is best for you.

As the same poster who just made a very pro-keto post above this one, I'll reply here and say that this is extremely important as well. The reality is that different things work for different people, and you *must* find something sustainable. There are folks on the various keto reddits who have been doing keto for 10+ years. I absoultely belive it, or a close variant of it to be sustainable for a lifetime for me, and I'm treating it that way. I currently limit my carbs to 20g/day. Once I hit my goal weight I may experiment with small increases, but I find it very hard to imagine that I'll ever consistently eat more than 50g carbs/day for the rest of my life. I am not just content with this, I am happy. I feel better than I've felt in literally decades. This is right for me.

There are a lot of people who see keto as a short term solution, and the weight gains/yoyo does feel inevitable for most of those people. If you see very low carb/keto as something you don't want to do, but feel like you have to, and want to "get off of" as soon as possible, don't. There are many other people who have success doing other things. If you see it as something that can help you make a lifetime change for the better, you can absolutely do it, do some reading to get over that fear of fat, its not uncommon, don't worry, dive in, and good luck! :)
  • Naughty_ZOOT
    Naughty_ZOOT Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    I generally eat about 40-60 carbs, trying to keep net carbs in the 20-30 range a day on average (fiber goal is 35) and I always get in plenty of non-starchy veggies, protein and healthy fats (coconut oil, olive oil, grass fed butter, ghee). My lipid panel is terrific and I got off meds after 12 years. There is NO need to limit cholesterol with lower carb dietary protocols. See Cholesterol is not the culprit by Dr. Fred Kummerow and others.

Dec 2013-HgbA1c was 7.9 on 2k metformin ER eating "healthy" whole grains, low fat, legumes, dairy, fruits, starchy veggies included.
    Sept 2014-HgbA1c was 5.7 no meds, eating Paleo style mostly and no sugar of any kind. Still driving that down, ultimate goal 4.6.

You have to find your own levels but I find that I am personally super carb sensitive so I watch them but it is not hard and I eat tons of veggies now making sure I get leafy greens first then others. I am much healthier in all ways but there is too much to share here.
    DH lost 79 lbs doing this with me (he is not diabetic), I am down 30 so far but also learned I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis so that is messing up my efforts somewhat while we work that out.
    Start with Mark Sisson's www.Marksdailyapple.com, Volek and Phinney, Dr. Richard Bernstein, Good Calories/Bad Calories by Gary Taubes and more. You will need to research and learn but it is WELL worth the effort. This is a lifetime decision for me and DH and we are so accustomed to it now that it is very easy. We stay on the fringes of keto but that means different carb levels for different people. Mine just happens to be very low because that is the only way to stay off the meds and be healthier for me at this time. DH follows more of Sisson's WOE which is 50-100 carbs a day. You have to test every food and eat to your meter. My rule is test once, test again, toss if I get a spike. That is how I found my culprits and how I learned that I was far more carb sensitive than I had ever thought.
    You MUST learn how to do it properly. Don't give up and don't listen to those who are uninformed. You will only learn what is correct if you spend the time learning it for yourself. There are budget friendly ways to do it, too. We eat all grass fed, pastured, wild-caught, organic 95% of the time. We eat offal, I bake gluten free bread, goodies, etc... We eat nuts, seeds, non-starchy vegs, limited fruit (berries).

• Gentyl
    Gentyl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I've been on Keto for almost 2 years now. I was diagnosed with a 10.7 A1C and haven't had anything above a 5.1 since and all my labs are extremely good. My body doesn't believe in Net Carbs (so says my blood sugar meter), so I try to keep total carbs under 30 grams per day, protein under 66 grams per day. My meter also disagrees with high protein because excess turns into sugar.

It was really hard in the beginning because it's not like you can go to the store and say, "I'd like chocolate cookies that are sugar free, sugar alcohol free, made from liquid stevia only, wheat free, and under 2 carbs per cookie). Ha! But, that is my latest recipe, and it's positively delicious. I also make my own fortified Almond milk and blanched almond flour now. Currently, I'm writing a recipe book for my family because we are just riddled with diabetes. It is just filled with all sorts of meals, breads, sweets and treats, drinks, etc.

The ADA says that although Keto works well for diabetics, they do not recommend it because it is unsustainable. Well, they are obviously wrong because if you put your mind to something it can be done. I will say that there is a lot of cooking involved. But, there's a way to get around that, too. I prepare a few meals, breads, and a few sweets and treats on Saturdays, basically. That way, I only have to heat things up, if necessary, make a fresh salad or cook some extra veggies. And, I can make sandwiches for lunch, etc. So, it makes my week super easy.

Keto was really hard for me the first 6 months (before my 2-year streak). Not only was it difficult to get over the carb flu because I kept cheating every once in a while and had to start from rock bottom every month, but the loss of my favorite foods, even ethnic foods, and the loss of the convenience of just being able to run to the store and pick up something quick was so hard. Holidays were especially hard,.. It wasn't so much the food as the tradition. I had not realized how emotionally and mentally attached I was to Food. And, I missed that happy carb high and sugar high which brought this false sense of happiness and joy. Carbs act very much like a drug in the brain. As a diabetic, my body no longer processes sugar well. Ketones burn much more efficiently and much cleaner. The brain runs much better on ketones, as well; it prefers it. Of course scientists have known this for decades, but from what I've witnessed and experienced, giving up the majority of carbohydrates (going from feast mode to famine mode) is exactly like quitting a drug addiction. People will invent any reason to hold onto their precious carbs. We actually do not need it to survive. And, it is only in recent history that they have been in such abundance as they have been today. We are in continual feast mode. The body was not designed for that,.. so we break down.

I also like the protection that Keto brings. As cancer cells cannot get nutrition from ketones, a ketogenic diet actually starves cancer cells.. Same goes for things like yeast infections, etc.. They feed on sugar. Those are a diabetic's breeding ground. No thank you.

One thing is true, however... You don't want Ketones in your body if you are a high carber with high blood sugars. That's a recipe for disaster. You just can't have it both ways. It's either a high carb, moderate protein, very low fat diet (which is terrible for a diabetic), or a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet. You can't have it both ways.

And, yes, it also works for weight loss -- which is a nice benefit. A diabetic with a high carb diet means a lot of sugar in the blood.. which means a ton of insulin required to clean it out,.. This insulin is used inefficiently in a diabetic,.. so insulin kind of gives up trying to get the glucose out and does it's second primary function --STORES FAT! Bad, sad news.

People argue that you can't forget nutrition thinking that Keto is actually not nutritious. Nothing could be further from the truth, however.. I have to argue back.. We have a broken system.. If you think our bodies have trouble getting glucose into our cells, how do you think it does with nutrition? It does very poorly. That is the reason they call diabetes the Disease of Starvation because no matter how much you eat, you always feel hungry. Well, of course you do.. You're starving. You can't use the nutrition you intake effectively with high blood sugar. So, it all goes to waste. Another recipe for disaster.

And, so, I'm writing my recipe book for my family. But, I already know that most of them will not abide by it no matter how delicious the food.. Because they are addicts. I totally understand. I was one, too. It took quite a few scares to finally get on board the Keto Train. And, then, I got to work creating recipes. Taste buds change. Now, even if I were not a diabetic, I wouldn't want to eat any other way. I just love, love, love my food. It's decadent and delicious and healthy and well-balanced. And it keeps my weight normal; I'm so thankful that I am no longer obese. The withdrawals and the grief were challenging, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. And there is a lot of support getting there. The best of luck.

• kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I cannot say enough good things about a ketogenic diet. I was diagnosed in December with an A1 C of 10.3. As of today my doctor has officially declared that I am no longer diabetic. The plan I follow is slightly different, I am on the ideal protein diet. It is low-carb, low sugar, Moderate protein, low-fat. And I have dropped 13 pounds in one month, with no lean muscle dropped. My opinion, is that it's worth a shot. It's a very strict diet for sure, but I like when people tell me what to eat :-)