Daily check-in: Something catchy that rhymes with January!

Replies

• DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Workout B this morning. I tought I would deload on each lift because my back hurted a lot yesterday, it felt ok this morning, so I proceed as usual.

Warm up: 15 minutes elliptical

Squat: 1 x 5 @ 45, 1 x 5 @ 65, 1 x 5 @ 75, 1 x 5 @ 90. I played a lot with my grip and it felt a little bit better.

OHP: 1 x 5 @ 30. 1 x 5 @ 45, 3 x 5 @ 50, 2 x 5 @ 45. I tried to up the load but I know I would have failed my fourth sets. I'll try again next time.

Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 115.

Accessories

Pull ups with assistance
    Dips
    Plank on the BOSU (I was not able to alternate today, I would have fall the face straight down on the BOSU).

Then some stretching and foam rolling.

• threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Went on Friday, no cages :( had to do row naive and stair climber.

Went yesterday, was able to squat and Ohp but the gym was mobbed and zero shots at the deadlift bar. So did a bunch of cardio.
    Really getting annoyed with how busy it is lately. ..

Squats 5x5@80, repeat weight, will move up next time.
    Ohp 5x6@45 and good mornings 5x5. Added a rep.
    30 min elliptical.

Nothing exciting to see here
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited January 2015
    Today when I was squatting, I heard Mark Rippetoe in my head..."THERE'S A GOOD SQUAT" from 31 seconds on this video - except he was yelling at me more..I almost started laughing to myself. I think I need to get this on to my iPod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OoVQPmfZ4o

Squat 80lbs 5x5
    OHP 1 set at 50, form was crap. 4x5 at 45lbs. I feel like I'll never progress on these!
    Deadlift 1x5 at 105lbs.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    So I signed up for a 5k race in May so back to running. Now that means trying to find that balance between lifting, running and life in general.
    5k run at lunch (40:46 blah)
    Workout B tonight
    Squat 165 lbs 5x5 deload because my legs are really tired from my run
    OHP 65 lbs 5x5 I will move up to 70 lbs next time and see if I can't get through that with a 8x3 set up like I did with bench press
    Deadlifts 185 lbs 1x5 this was a deload because I had failed 205 lbs 3 times. Again my legs were pretty much done at this point so I think I would have deloaded anyway.

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Today when I was squatting, I heard Mark Rippetoe in my head..."THERE'S A GOOD SQUAT"

i think i need to picture him standing behind me, talking to a roomful of people and smacking me on the butt the whole time. mind you, i did spend some time on 'his' site over the weekend, and saw a response from him to a kid who had posted his video for a form check. rippetoe said 'only thing i see wrong with that is, why is there only 135 pounds on that bar?' i had a brief moment where i pictured myself being talked to like that and i thought: 'because i'm not going any heavier until i know what i'm already doing is safe . . . dipshit.'

i'd probably want to mouth back at him now and then if i were around him in person, but there's lots to appreciate too.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited January 2015
    Just caught up on all the amazingness you kicka$$ ladies are putting up. Wow! I'm impressed!

And jealous. This flu is kicking my *kitten*. :( Missed Monday and today -- hoping to feel well enough to go to the gym on Friday. Keep your fingers crossed.
    someone was talking about left shoulder pain after squats . . . . i'm busy reviewing this again for my own purposes so i thought that i'd post it again.

http://www.allthingsgym.com/mark-rippetoe-on-the-squat-bar-position/

Also -- just watching this video. Will post my thoughts on it in the Starting Strength Chapters 1& 2 thread, since it's probably more relevant there than in the daily check-in.

xo,
    C.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    @crabada - Awww. Hope you feel better soon.

@Llamapants86 - Let me know how the balance goes. I have a 5k in June and I need to start the C25k thing at some point cause right now I can jog for a whole 10 minutes max. Might want to work on that.

@ScientificExplorerGirl - Aww. Thanks. :blush: The OHP is quite a struggle. I don't get the hip bounce still but some day. It's a slow one to ever increase that is for sure.

Just work today. Really boring cause we're used to doing freight on Wednesday but that's what I'll be doing tomorrow, putting away freight.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Workout B yesterday.

Squats 5x5 at 160 - felt good. I'll hang out here one more day before bumping up to 165 next week.
    OHP 5x5 at 90 - these are feeling great now. I've been at this weight for two weeks (4 lift days). I think I'll spend one more day (may two) here before bumping up to 95.
    Dead 1x5 at 190 - felt good. These were hard, but they felt good. I'm going to hang out here for next week again (2 more lift days) before bumping up.

Did some accessory work on the side.
    Deads 5x5 at 95 pounds
    Arnold press 5x10 at 20 pound dumbbells

I feel like I'm finally starting to see the definition I want. I'm actually really excited to take measurements this weekend, even though I probably won't see much change. I'm also going to take progress pics since it's been a month-ish since I took them.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    fothers365 wrote: »
    work out A today.

It went well, even managed all the OHPs but fully expecting to fail when I go up next time. The squats are getting challenging- not sure whether to stick at the weight next time or go up- will see how I feel Thursday.

Squat 42.5kg (94lbs) 5x5
    OHP 22.5kg (50lbs) 5x5
    DL 60kg (132lbs) 1x5

Next DL day will be 65kg and above bodyweight- first goal achieved!

Working right along! OHPs are SO hard. I've got stuck so many times on those.
    glwerth wrote: »
    GAH! Second dead lift day when I couldn't complete my reps.

I don't know if I'm having trouble mentally or physically. I'm going to give it one more day at 245 and deload if I can't make the reps next time.

On everything else, I'm plugging along. Made 170 on squats (5x5) which seems great to me.

Those weights are amazing- how long have you been doing this?

I've been at it about two years now....though, I ended up not lifting most of the summer since I kept injuring myself in non-lifting stuff!

Thanks for the encouragement. I often feel like I should be farther along, then I remind myself that I'm a. quite heavy, so my squats are the weight plus my body weight and I'm 48 years old.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    GBB 19 - Speed Shred in the books, and I'm pretty happy with how it went!

Every 20s for 4 minutes -> Burpee + double broad jump (I can clear about 5 feet consistently, but boy, the soles of my new shoes are a bit harder than I'm used to, so my landings were HARD)

4 sets of 20 front rack double 20# KB squat with 60s rest in-between (which wasn't quite as hard as I felt it should've been. Need to up the weight if I ever do this again. Was harder on the shoulders than the legs! lol)

For time:
    - Half burpees x 10, 8, 6, 4, 2
    - 1 arm alternate 35# KB snatch x 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 /per arm
    - Recline rows x 20, 16, 12, 8, 4

I think I did 9:15 or something close to that, which is an improvement over my last time with a 30# KB. The rows were what challenged me most. New shoes make burpees easier somehow. I think it's cuz they're not 2 sizes too big so I have more toe spring power on the jump back up.

Finished up the session on the pull-up assist machine, supersetting diff grip pull-ups and dips for 4 sets @80 and a dropset @120 lbs (reps were around the 5-7 mark throughout). I had a killer arm pump walking to the locker room! lol
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Workout A, did not go great but it got done at least.

Squats: 5x5 @ 105 lbs. These were tough but I felt like my form was OK. I am planning to repeat here next time.

Bench: 5/5/4/5/4 @ 70 lbs. Pretty epic fail here. Tried to move up to 75 lbs since 70 lbs felt pretty good last time, no go. Even 70 lbs was a problem, as you can see. Set 3 I didn't try to attempt the 5th rep so I wouldn't have to do the roll of shame, but I did end up having to on the 5th set. Ouch. Obviously I will be repeating here.

Rows: 5x5 @ 75 lbs. I got the 25 reps in, but these were HARD, so I will repeat this weight.

I normally do some light accessory work during sets but wasn't feeling it today. I did do some RDLs, 3x10 @ 75 lbs after the rows. I finished up with 35 minutes on the elliptical.

The good thing is I got my workout in, even if it wasn't a great one.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    katro111 wrote: »
    I'm losing my mind and/or repeating myself lol whatever tomorrow's my birthday; I'm going to be 30 which is crazy cuz I don't feel like I'm going to be 30!
    @katro111 - Happy Birthday!!!!!

Workout B today and I ROCKED IT! I tried a pre workout my hubby recommended and it seemed to help me get in the zone.

I completed 5x5 today plus a few accessories. I have been doing 3x5 for time sake, but it wasn't needed this morning.

Squats - warm up at 75lbs + 5x5 @‌ 95lbs
    OHP - warm up 1x10 @ 45lbs + 6/6/6/5/5 @ 50lbs
    DL - 1x5 @ 95lbs, 1x5 @ 115lbs, 1x5 @ 135lbs (BIG GIRL PLATES)!!!

Seated Row - I did maybe 3 sets of 8 @ 70lbs while I was waiting for a rack
    Plank - 2 x 45 sec
    Front and Side shoulder raises - 1x12, 1x10, 1x8 all with measly 8lb dumbells.
    Admittedly I felt silly picking those up after DL 135lbs, but different muscle groups need different weights :-)
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Ohhh, I missed that! Happy birthday Katro!!

Pffft. Turnong 30 si so overated. I did that in september and nothing happened. You will be fine, you'll see. ;)

@symba1130 good job on ROCKING!! that's nice :) Congrats for the big girls plates!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2015
    i loved turning 30. 29 was so poisoned by that asinine joke about women all being in supposed denial and picking that as their mythical age to lie with. just a year-long gauntlet of telling people my real actual age and seeing their faces say 'suuuuuuurrrree . . . '
  • Got really busy this week so posting Tuesday's workout.

Squat 130 5,5,4,4,4. Still struggling here. Mehdi told me to de-load but I told him via talking to my app that he's not the boss of me so I don't think I'm going to yet.

OHP 50 5x5. So I was supposed to attempt 60 for the third time but I just couldn't lift it. I think I went up too fast before. 50 was pretty easy so it looks like I'll be lifting the oly bar with cookie plates next time :cookie:

Deadlift 160 5,1,1 (played around with grip). I actually got it double overhand for a rep. I started moving up by 5 instead of 10.

I threw in front squats to help with my lifts. I did 65 3x8. It was pretty hard but fun.

I wanted to do rack pulls, too, to help with deadlifting but the gym was SO BUSY at 830-9. Not only busy but full of douches. I'll save details for the "So there was this guy at the gym..." thread but I'm talking, people leaving all the 45-lb plates on the bar, curling in the squat rack, sitting on the equipment talking, congregating in areas and talking loudly, leaving bags on equipment, etc. :angry: I have never seen it that bad and it was not cool.

I did hot vinyasa yoga yesterday and it was a particularly athletic class. Several arm balances (which I love) and inversions (which I sort of love). I am now walking like I have a stick up my nether regions... legs, hips, abs, shoulders, everything is sore.
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    We hit between 70-80 degree temps this week, so I've been getting some low intensity cardio walks in while the weather behaves. I know some of you folks got buried in that "blizzard" and got to play in the snow. Some of that weather will be coming in later this week, though mostly rain and hardly any freezing precip.

Still rough at work, but I am staying on top of my lifts. I would have posted this yesterday after workout, but so danged tired at the end of it all.

Warmups: squats 2x10@65#. 10 min stretches.

SQ: 5x5@115#.
    OP: 5,4,5,5,5@65#.
    DL: 1x2@165#, 1x5@155#.

Have been sore all week so my squats didn't go up. I did have my man spot me while I tried to concentrate on that Rippetoe form. OPs were challenging; I missed 1 rep of a full set, but getting the hip thrust/drive was helping me hit that 65#--a PR!

165# deadlift was crazy tough, I had to deload to 155#.

1x5 assisted pullups. I've determined that all day sitting and poor posture is detrimental to end-of-day pullups. I have a much easier time doing pull ups fresh out of bed in the mornings.

Great to see everybody's progress and commitment to this program. Keep at it!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    I did just the bare bones 5x5 today because I had a really bad morning. Just wanted to get it done.
    Squat-5@45, 5x5@135 (big girl plates!)
    OHP-5x5@55 (was supposed to do 60 but was not in the mood to struggle today)
    Deadlift-5@150! 10@95
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Today when I was squatting, I heard Mark Rippetoe in my head..."THERE'S A GOOD SQUAT"

Haha, that's awesome!

So since I'm a weirdo and like to make up songs to sing to my dog when we walk, I started singing "I believe I can squat" to the tune of R. Kelly's "I Believe I can Fly."
    It was pretty awful :p :

I believe I can squat
    I believe I my *kitten* can touch the grass
    I think about it every night and day
    Widen my stance and squat away

Anyway, I took yesterday off so today was Squats and DL's.
    Squats: 3@155, 3@165, 5@175lbs then 3x8 @‌ 130lbs
    Deads: 3@145, 3@165, 3@185lbs then 3x8 @‌ 135lbs

Thanks for the birthday wishes! I'm not sure how I feel about being 30. It's just weird; kinda like my 20's took FOR.EV.ER to be done with and now I have to start over with another decade lol

• katro111 wrote: »
    So since I'm a weirdo and like to make up songs to sing to my dog when we walk, I started singing "I believe I can squat" to the tune of R. Kelly's "I Believe I can Fly."
    It was pretty awful :p :

I believe I can squat
    I believe I my *kitten* can touch the grass
    I think about it every night and day
    Widen my stance and squat away

Literally laughing out loud at this. It is FREAKING CLASSIC! :smiley:
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Bit of a mixed day.

Squats - 5x5 at 110 lbs. Thanks to the grip video, and think I fixed my bar positioning and work hard on keeping my elbows up. Tried to concentrate on hip drive, but it needs work as I found my upper body dropping down a couple times as I was coming up.

OHP - 4,5,4,4,3 at 50 lbs. 1x5 at 45 lbs
    This was really disappointing as I did 5x5 at 50 last workout A, but my form wasn't great so I decided to repeat the weight. Failing on this sucked as I was expecting to do better than last time. Maybe it is because I am on night shift this week? Who knows. I did a set with just the bar at the end to remind myself how they should feel. Obviously repeat this weight next time and take my full 3 minute rests.

DL - 1x5 at 135 lbs :smiley: Big girl plates, and body weight, so this was awesome. Felt pretty good, but I think I maxed out on my double overhand grip. I felt is slipping by rep 4, so had to reset my grip before the 5th. I tried one rep with a mixed grip, and it felt much more secure, so I will be going with that from now on. I will still do overhand for warm up sets though, I think.