Daily Check In Thread

Options

Replies

• flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    W3D3 this morning. I was so scared of running an extra minute, but I did it! I nearly burst into tears from the pure joy of knowing that I did it, and I did it without dying. I'm ready to try to tackle week 4, but that 4th minute makes me nervous...
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Day 1 went much better than expected! I slowed my run a little on the 3 minute segments and I soared through them. Plus the half-hour seemed to go much more quickly than the 90 min walk/90 min run of Week 2.
  • JessRaddatz
    JessRaddatz Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Completed W3D1 today, but I was feeling good and I just wanted to see if I could run a mile if I tried, so I did the warm up and then ran a mile and kept going a bit more because I was in the middle of a run portion. So, I did a mile and it felt AMAZING!! I will go back to sticking to the program on my Wednesday run, but it was really great to just be able to say that I ran a mile straight, with no stopping :)
  • Gloww33
    Gloww33 Posts: 12
    Options
    Completed W2D1, Adding that additional 30 minutes was a stretch, but I have been trying to walk further everyday to prepare for the additional challenges. I notice I recover better if I stretch before and after, even though it is a pain to do. I think I am going to take up yoga via youtube for beginners, to do at home for myself and increase flexability. So far I have lost 5.8 pounds my first week of eating healthy and working out!
  • mishycat74
    mishycat74 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Also completed W3D1 today. Had to slow down further on the last 3 min run but managed to complete it. Unfortunately had to change routes again because of the horrendously muddy track, the gravel portions aren't bad but with all the rain we've had the grass sections have just become sticky, slippy mud pits. Will be so glad when it dries up around here :)
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    Week 4 Day 1 today. Man, that fourth minute was intimidating. But once I started, I finished with relative ease. It was the final 2 minute run that had me pushing for an extra inch of endurance to get through it.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    What plan are you using? That sounds heavily modified as the C25K plan as originally developed has W4D1 as 3 minutes of running, 90 seconds walking, 5 minutes running, 2 ½ minutes walking, 3 minutes running, 90 seconds walking, 5 minutes running.
  • cincysweetheart
    cincysweetheart Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    The infamous Week 5, Day 3 is tomorrow! Day 2 went easier than I thought it would… so, we'll see. Nervous and excited all at the same time.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    W3D1 yesterday. Slowed down on the 3 minute runs but completed it all. Walked about 10 minutes extra at the beginning while finding my correct podcast. So did a total of about 40 minutes. Tried to focus on not heavy heal striking. I long for better weather to try this outside.
  • JessRaddatz
    Options
    Completed W3D2 today. I did a full mile run in the middle again (it was actually closer to 1.25 miles, so that was exciting). I promise to stick to the program on W4D1, but for now I really enjoy pushing myself to get to that mile mark. I figure I feel good, so why not.

I'm really starting to realize how much of a mental game running is for me. I don't know why, but once I hit that mile mark I just feel like I HAVE to walk. I'm usually in the middle of a run portion at that time, so l push myself to finish that run portion. I'm not tired, my legs feel great, my breathing is good. After about a minute of walking, I feel like I can start running again. I don't know what it is and why I feel like I have to stop running, but I know that is something I'm going to have to work hard at overcoming.
  • preetikasharma
    preetikasharma Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I finished my Week 3 today. To be honest, I love the high you get after a good sweaty run, and for the same reason I have been running back to back days, but since the workouts will get longer from now on I'm resolved to keep a day's gap between two runs. So probably 3 days of running a week and rest would be walking / cross training / whatever I can push myself into doing.

Is there anyone who's on week 4? Any tips on what is coming?
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Just decided to start working toward a 5K a week and a half ago; Today I did W2D2. Outside. In Wisconsin. On a country road with traffic and no shoulder!
  • JessRaddatz
    Options
    ajfuelling wrote: »
    Just decided to start working toward a 5K a week and a half ago; Today I did W2D2. Outside. In Wisconsin. On a country road with traffic and no shoulder!
    You go girl! I'm in WI, too and there is no way I'm going to run outside until it is at least 45! I'm a wimp when it comes to the cold. I am totally retiring to Florida (I'm only 34, though so I have to wait a while for that).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So probably 3 days of running a week and rest would be walking / cross training / whatever I can push myself into doing.

I put in a link upthread to the NHS Strength and Conditioning plan that's designed to be used in conjunction with C25K, to improve resilience and reduce injury risk.
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Did Week 6 Day 2 yesterday. It was my first time running on pavement, which I've been wanting to do for a while. I figure any 5K I do will be on pavement, so I want to get used to it ahead of time. My jogging until yesterday was either on the treadmill or on a dirt/gravel path at a local park.

I was fine with the pavement. The real challenges yesterday were the hills! This was my first "inner city" jog, as I went during my lunch hour. One small glitch was a tourist who stopped me to ask my help in finding certain locations in Centennial Olympic Park. So that messed up my time a little bit -- I probably spent about a minute chatting with her, trying to get her in the right direction.

Anyway, Atlanta doesn't appear so at first, but it is actually very hilly. I figure it was good training for me to work on the hills, and there were also some stairs to run up and down. It felt good to switch it up a bit.

And great work to everyone upthread! It's fun to see how people are coming along and enjoying the program. :smile:
  • IndigoSue13
    IndigoSue13 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I put in a link upthread to the NHS Strength and Conditioning plan that's designed to be used in conjunction with C25K, to improve resilience and reduce injury risk.

Thank you for this! I will definitely try it.
  • nicole7743
    nicole7743 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    drink_me wrote: »
    To the poster who said they wanted to work out on non run days, I do the 30 day shred on my non run days. I completed the 30 days before I started c25k and now I just pick a level and do it. It's tough but I feel like its making me so much stronger. But maybe I need to back off of it a little because my knees hurt sometimes now.

I'm the same
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Completed W3D2 today. I did a full mile run in the middle again (it was actually closer to 1.25 miles, so that was exciting). I promise to stick to the program on W4D1, but for now I really enjoy pushing myself to get to that mile mark. I figure I feel good, so why not.

I'm really starting to realize how much of a mental game running is for me. I don't know why, but once I hit that mile mark I just feel like I HAVE to walk. I'm usually in the middle of a run portion at that time, so l push myself to finish that run portion. I'm not tired, my legs feel great, my breathing is good. After about a minute of walking, I feel like I can start running again. I don't know what it is and why I feel like I have to stop running, but I know that is something I'm going to have to work hard at overcoming.

Good job running the extra time. I think its amazing that you are motivated to push through. I know what you mean about the mental blocks. I used to evaluate how I feel and then push myself. You'll be running 2 miles straight soon. B)

• chelm1222
    chelm1222 Posts: 86 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Completed W3D3 this afternoon. It was a good run, but the last 3 minute jog was a bit tough because the wind was blowing so much it made it a bit difficult to breathe well. I'm excited for Week 4, but also slightly intimidated. I like the longer runs rather than the short start/stop runs. This is about the time that I stopped running last time I tried this program, so hopefully my motivation stays and I keep going like I've been.
  • flabassmcgee
    Options
    W4D2 today and man, it about killed me. Five minute runs at a time....GOD! This week might have to be a repeat.