New to EM2WL?? Read this!!!

Options

Replies

• Makatees
    Makatees Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am kinda new here! Used mfp for a short while 2 yrs ago but need to jump on board again! Would love to have some new buddies!
  • willowgerl
    Options
    Hihi. Glad I remembered about this group! After recovering from a lifelong ED for the past few years, I feel I'm finally ready to pursue reasonable health and fitness goals in a sane way. My goal is to steadily change my eating and exercise habits to support myself at a lower weight. I realized at this moment in time my body, at its higher weight, is a perfect result of my current habits. The last thing I want is to go on some "diet" that I'll someday get off and return to these habits. Hopefully this group will help me do just that. Thanks.
  • Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am real interested in this concept - but don't know where to start. For as long as I can remember losing weight meant deprivation. So I will go to the website and find out how to start!!
  • apple173
    apple173 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to grasp the concept of eating more and I will lose weight. So now I eat four meals a day instead of my meals a day only. I make better food choices. I cannot stomach diary, gluten and sometimes red meat but i have worked around this and have successfuly lost weight. Happy to be here.
  • eamcguire67
    eamcguire67 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm new here. I'm trying to loose weight, but I find that I am never hungry. This group makes sense, but I stuggle eating today. How does one eat even more often, when trying to get in 1200 calories a day is tough enough.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm new here. I'm trying to loose weight, but I find that I am never hungry. This group makes sense, but I stuggle eating today. How does one eat even more often, when trying to get in 1200 calories a day is tough enough.

Since it is likely impossible that you gained enough weight to now have to lose it eating 1200 - you of course know how to eat more.

You need to re-examine how you have changed your eating habits, perhaps what you consider healthy. Fat for instance is needed in diet, not to be avoided.
    There is more than just extremes of broccoli or donuts, there is a wide range between that is perfectly fine food.
    And even in moderation, donuts are fine.
  • heybales
    Options
    Datarn wrote: »
    I am real interested in this concept - but don't know where to start. For as long as I can remember losing weight meant deprivation. So I will go to the website and find out how to start!!

Did you read through the stickies already as to how to start?

You merely at a reasonable deficit from your likely daily burn.

That's it.

Enough protein and right exercise has to do with transforming the body even more, rather than just fat loss.
  • heybales
    Options
    cecezo wrote: »
    I am new to the group and trying to lose 30 pounds. I see terms such as TDEE, RMR, BMR and more. I am so lost, I do not understand a thing. Please help.

Did you read the stickies, several on exactly those terms and how to start.
  • yowza101
    yowza101 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    New to this group but know this truly works. I'm off/on this site but promised myself this weekend that I need to be regular on here again and so glad that I ran across this. Hello everyone.
  • AutumnSal
    AutumnSal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    New to the group and excited to find a group that may actually help me get my head and body sorted. I'm in a binge/restricting hole and my weight has shot up to 71.8kg / 158lb (I feel awful about myself) I want to get back down to 57kg / 125lb. I'm hoping if I change my mind and thought process and how I see food it will stop this distructive cycle!
    Please feel free to add me - I really would like the spport and advice. Eating more and regular (and mainly the right foods as I, like most, make bad choices) this is the help I need!
    On to read the information above now on how to get started - I need to do this.
    Thanks guys and dolls. x
  • sunheechung
    sunheechung Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    hi guys ! I'm new here! just started using myfitness again! never really used it anyways! I'm trying to lose weight but still EAT! because i LOVEEE EATING I'm 155b right now, want to get to 120-130!! 5'6 !!!hope i can get a lot of help and motivation from this grouP!!!
  • mystuffperez
    mystuffperez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I SERIOUSLY need some help. I always go over the calorie budget but I know that its because my food choices are empty calories. So I want to EAT more healthy choices to WEIGHT less. :)
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this group. I've lost 40lbs in the last year. Stalled out 6 months ago. Started researching higher calories and gradually increased. I've been maintaining 1700-2200. Dropped from 43% to 18% and increased muscle. This week I gained 1 lb., could have been anything, but my trainer (who I love but isn't a nutritionist) said it's because 2000 is too much! Tired of bro science. I'm looking for support. It's scary to increase and go against my trainers advice but I can't diet for ever!
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting group find. I need help. Having difficulty keeping my calories within the mfp guidelines for loss and my body keeps trying/succeeding in regaining any weight lost. Exercise (mainly cardio) almost daily. Midfifties female
  • abbycassidy1
    Options
    I too am new, this is my first day! I am so excited to have support, encouragement, and to meet new friends! I would love if you would add me as a friend, so I can encourage and lift you up as well! Cheers!
  • zoezoekende
    zoezoekende Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi there, new to the group from Holland. Losing weight since januari. And already eating more than the last years. Glad I found this group , can use all the tips I can get
  • Speekerzz
    Speekerzz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am new here , and I have been trying to follow this philosophy. I seem to do good for a while, then I run out of steam and my body won't lose a lb. I then hit a point where it all seems to go good and then I back slide. I just lose 30lbs in two months for a surgery I had to do, I managed the recovery ok with only gaining 5lbs. I caught bronchitis upon my return to work and then a cold shortly there after. Within the month of being back at work, I have gained another 7lbs, from being ill and not being able to hit the gym and just losing my groove. So tempting to cut back on eating, and I know that is not the way. Hard to see myself go backwards though. Hope I can glean something from here. :)
  • jasminenavarrete
    Options
    I just realized mfp had groups (shrug) and the group title caught my attention.

I've learned in the past when I eat more I lose weight, but somehow I keep forgetting and listening to these doctors and nutritionists who tell me cut my calories.
    I would wonder how do you cut 0? Literally some days I wouldn't eat just because I forgot it was busy or just wasn't in the mood.

I've been cooking and eating like a fiend and I am down almost 10 lbs in the past almost 3 weeks. And I feel great. Will definitely be following this group closely.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Going to be blunt here....can this work for someone who has more than 60 pounds to lose? Also, I have to restrict my carbs for medical reasons and wonder how that would work with this woe. I don't have an issue with the carb restriction and find it quite sustainable. Lately though, I have noticed that I am uber hungry All. The. Time. I am beginning to come to the realization that 1360 a day may not be enough. I am 5'10" 211, I work out 5 days a week (not intensely by most standards, but I do what I can within my limitations) cardio and lifting, again, not heavy by some standards, but who cares about other people's standards anyway LOL.....just trying to wrap my head around all this and TERRIFIED of upping my calories.
  • heybales
    Options
    Everyone no matter how much to lose can pick a reasonable deficit rather than extreme, and lose weight eating more than bare minimum.

You'd probably find your workouts can be better without such a big deficit.

Minimum input sooner or later leads to minimum output from your body.

Or are you correctly following MFP method and non-exercise day is 1360, but you correctly log exercise and eat more on days you actually burn more?

And intense every day is not good either. Intense needs rest and repair and recovery time, you do intense the next day with same muscles, you'll soon find yourself doing mediocre workouts because muscles are always tired.

And heavy is for you. If by the end of your desired rep range you barely hold good form, that is heavy for you.
    If by the end you could do 20 more reps easily - ya, that ain't doing much with your time.

With 60 lbs to lose you could probably warrant a 20% deficit, until you hit 50 lbs left, then back to suggested.