baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    fatchimom wrote: »
    "Let Them Eat Cake."!!!!!!

Yeah. They can have their cake. I'll keep my steak. :mrgreen:
  • Elwin5
    Elwin5 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I feel your anger! I posted a question about the egg fast (had stalled over 5 weeks and was going to give it a go...dropped 10 in 5 days btw) but was literally negative comment after comment about how wrong i was in doing it....ummm..pretty sure my question stated nothing about them commenting judgemental ignorant statements wasting my time hoping for help. WILL NEVER seak help on the open boards again. A huge thank you to those 2 or 3 that actually tried to help. Good luck everyone and rock on low carbers!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

Buttered steak, can't forget the butter!

I still love the post a friend of mine posted on Facebook. Her office is very much on the "low fat" and "vegan" end of the spectrum, and someone labelled their yogurt as "lard" to prevent people from eating it. I wasn't totally sure whether to laugh or cry about that, but I did laugh about the fact that it would backfire horribly if someone were to try that at my house.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try butter. Mom made it from the milk that I milked by hand but she never cooked with it too much. I have 4-5 tablespoons of coconut oil in the coffee that I am drinking with my almonds currently however.:)
  • baconslave
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

Buttered steak, can't forget the butter!

No worries. Wouldn't forget that! LOL! It's my supper plan for this evening. :smile:
  • DebraYvonne
    DebraYvonne Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I never post about that on any site but this one! Too many negative folks.
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The MFP discussion boards cling hard to the old calories in - calories out theory of weight loss.

Two reasons for this:
    1. It's a popular, though incorrect, theory
    2. It's become group-think on the boards to go along with the crowd. Few people are comfortable rocking the boat.
  • DeDeV21
    Options
    Still having trouble sleeping. Doctor recommended tryptophan and melatonin. Not giving up. keeping up the electrolytes. The diet book says "when in doubt...eat more fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    nsoss wrote: »
    The MFP discussion boards cling hard to the old calories in - calories out theory of weight loss.

Two reasons for this:
    1. It's a popular, though incorrect, theory
    2. It's become group-think on the boards to go along with the crowd. Few people are comfortable rocking the boat.

3. It lets them eat french fries and donuts "if if fits their macros", which, of course, can be set to anything. :smile:
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    3. It lets them eat french fries and donuts "if if fits their macros", which, of course, can be set to anything. :smile:

Right. Sugar is addictive and this lets them continue to feed their addiction with ice cream and french fries.
  • baconslave
    Options
    It's more a plague of narcissism, groupthink, and megalomania...just sayin...
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options

Right. Sugar is addictive and this lets them continue to feed their addiction with ice cream and french fries.

+1 Those who say sugar isn't an addiction have never felt a real sugar craving.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

+1 Those who say sugar isn't an addiction have never felt a real sugar craving.

Or they have and just think it's normal. It's astounding how many people think you're supposed to be hungry when you are trying to lose weight.
    DeDeV21 wrote: »
    Still having trouble sleeping. Doctor recommended tryptophan and melatonin. Not giving up. keeping up the electrolytes. The diet book says "when in doubt...eat more fat.

Make sure you're getting enough sodium. The lower your carbs are, the more you'll want, especially in the beginning. Treat MFP's 2,500 or 3,500 "limit" as a minimum. Sleep disturbance is a common symptom of sodium deficiency.

Also, make sure you're eating enough in general. Not eating enough is a common problem among LCHF, because the appetite suppression can be strong in some people. You still need to eat at least fairly close to your calorie goal, otherwise you risk a number of issues, and can raise your cortisol levels, which interferes with melatonin production and sleep.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just an example of sugar addiction here: I was about 6 days into the LC life and my partner brought home a fountain Coke for me (she just didn't think, was not trying to sabotage)..... I had to have HER pour it out in the sink because my hands were shaking I wanted the damn thing so bad. Update to today and I am feeling much better, but that was an eye opening moment for me.

The general forums, I have found, can be good for exercise advice, and I like to read the success stories. But other than that, snarkiness abounds and way too much of an "our way or you are wrong!" mentality.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I did not know I was addicted to sugar carbs for most of my life and all the while it was wrecking my health. I only fully realized my addiction after trying to 'taper' off of sugar for Aug/Sept 2014 and could NOT. It took going cold turkey last Oct and the addiction just started regression after a couple weeks.
  • DanyelCook
    DanyelCook Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    I have just had 14 replies telling me that omitting sugar is a gimmick and stupid and will not result in weight loss. And sugar consumption has nothing to do with diabetes. So the mantra is stick to a calorie deficit and you will lose weight. Okay, I cant do that. Tried and tried and tried. I just end up binge eating on sugar. So I am going to do this no matter what the common sense multitude say.
    I'm a nurse nutritionist and sugar does make you fat and does lead to diabetes. Anyone who knows how insulin works and what it does will tell you that. You do have to watch your calories but you also have to keep your carbs lower if you are a carb-craver after exposure to sugar and "white" carbs. Especially if you are sensitive to sugar as insulin-resistant people or women with PCOS are. So do what works for you. I understand your inability to lose weight no matter how low your calories or how high your exercise if you eat carbs. I have the same issue and a endocrinologist told me to lose the carbs and eat protein and low carb veggies and I lost 30 lbs in no time. I tried to go back to a "normal" diet but with only 1500 cal a day and gained all the weight back in 6 mos. Adding weight lifting workouts to your exercise regime 2 a week will help you deal with carbs if you do slip now and then.

• DanyelCook
    Options
    knorris47 wrote: »
    Glad to have found a like minded group!
    Megthehen I lost 60+ at 60 yrs and it took me about a year. Lost the majority, around 40 in about 3,4 months the 5 or less at a time for the next month's. Been at goal for 6 almost 7 yrs now. Bad thing is I'm gaining and still on lc so I figured I'd start tracking to see if there is carb creep
    Get doctor approval for exercise then start adding some weight lifting/muscle building to your exercise regime. The older we get the more our metabolism and ability to deal with any carbs goes down and adding muscle helps counteract this.
  • DanyelCook
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    Debbie, how long did it take to lose weight, I have 70pounds to lose, about as I use kilos. I plan to stick to this forever if it works for me because for the first time ever I don't feel like eating all day. I normally drive straight to the shop to buy food to eat in the car on my way home from work. 3 days in, I haven't felt the need to do this. I actually waited till 1:30 to eat my lunch. It's usually gone by 10:30am. I feel very positive that this is going to be do able. I only walk for exercise at the moment but I have joined a gym. Still a little nervous to try that.

Great job! I think the first 3 days of low/no carb are the hardest. Don't let the gym intimidate you. Most gyms have a free intro "training" session to show you how to use the weights, elliptical etc. If not, just ask an employee to show you. It's hard the first few times but like low carb, the more you do it the better you feel. And remember that everyone there was a newbie at some point. :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    It is AMAZING the lengths these people on the forums will go to defend junk food, carbs, sugar, whatever! I have gotten into too many arguments I don't go there. I have had people flat out refute science and basic knowledge of blood sugar and tell me that's not how it works! You can't fight that, they can't hear anything but delusions and nastiness to others!
  • Rockmaker
    Rockmaker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm just 4 days into Atkins and I've been learning as much as I can about it. So far it really feels like this is what I need for the short term. I also feel like this message board is the right place for me to be.