Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• turtle0022
    turtle0022 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm proud to say that I swam the most that I have at any one single time... swam for 60 minutes, alternating between freestyle and breaststroke... mostly working on technique and breathing. I then followed it up on a bike for 15 min.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    40 x 25m in 40mins. 20 Breaststroke, 20 Frontcrawl. Not the fastest but strokes are feeling smoother. I am overtaken by folks who swim with their heads up!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    What helps me to visualize the posture is to stand (on dry land) with my hands straight up and stretch all the way up - even stand on tip toe if I can, with stomach tight and really stretch the whole body up

We actually have the kids do this as part of their stretching before we get them in the water at practice, it also helps them get the feel for a good streamline
    Of course, it's not really a question of 10x200 IM but 10x50 fly, right? :D

No doubt lol.....

@Turtle - GREAT job!!!!!

Great swims, everybody!!!!

Stayed with all free today (job got pushed off again, so today was another bonus day in the pool): 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 67 minutes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1000m free @ noon.
    Hoping to make it to 8:00pm lanes.
    Great swims everyone.

Macstraw thanks for all the Great tips.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    6x100s (yards) with full rests between. I am not 100% sure that 2 laps was my baseline, but with my psychological block about having my face in the water, it was about all I could handle. I was on the board in between, staying long. Now the real (mental) work begins: adding in lengths. It was fun though, now that things are clicking better.
  • juliet3455
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @girlwithcurls2 glad to hear it is clicking in
    Just finished 5 week stroke improvement 1 lessons, looking fwd to 2nd 5 week set.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    59 min 2.5 km
    Very difficult swim. Nothing left in the tank!
    Perhaps I need to look at my nutrition? Or perhaps because I'd only slept 3.5 hours last night!
    Either way, definitely time for a rest day or two!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, 2 miles @‌ 69 minutes
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great swims again, Everybody!!!

Curly - now that you've broken through the distance will start to stack up quickly, especially as you get more & more confident in it. Great work!!!!

Like AQ, it was a slog getting through it today - I had a serious case of heavy arms. Although my set times were good, my arms felt like they weighed a ton. I was seriously debating going off the plan & trying IM's today, maybe this was my body's way of saying, "Hell no - we're sticking with just free a little longer." Did my usual free sets: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250.....
  • turtle0022
    Options
    Curly... woohoo and kudos to you! I haven't made that second full lap freestyle... but it's closer than it was. I had a great swim today! 60 minutes combining freestyle, breastroke and adding water jogging in between. Topped off with 6 laps of water jogging at the end. I did try left side breathing and breathing on the third stroke. It was awkward, but not as strange-feeling as I thought. I actually could see how it could help me make my freestyle laps.

Yes, I'm a bit pooped as I sit here, but I'm so looking forward to tomorrow morning as I will complete my 4th swim workout for the week.

Again, I so appreciate all the comments and suggestions. This group is a great resource! :)
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Well done all !

I did a usual 1k in a good time for me (31 mins) - even more pleasing was I did again manage a fair bit of focus in my core. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

I know this, as my tummy muscles are now gently reminding me.....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    Mac & AQ, it's really motivating to hearthat more seasoned swimmers have tough days in the water. Like noel said, even those who make it look easy probably have all kinds of things that they are working on. When you're new at something as an adult, sometimes it feels like it's always difficult (or that it's going to stay difficult for much longer than it would if you were a 10 year old!). It's awesome to hear you guys say that you push through and have the same mental and psychological challenge on a day when you're just not feeling it.

turtle, water jogging is quite possibly one of the hardest workouts I have ever done (and hands down, the MOST boring, lol!). You really worked hard! I would love to add a different stroke in to switch things up, but when I look at videos of how to do them correctly, I realize that my timing is off (breaststroke) and rather than learn it wrong, I'm tabling any new strokes for now.

gently, I want tummy muscles to feel the work! I have so much to focus on, I don't think I always have my core engaged... :( One of these days it will be.
  • turtle0022
    Options
    Mac & AQ, it's really motivating to hearthat more seasoned swimmers have tough days in the water. Like noel said, even those who make it look easy probably have all kinds of things that they are working on. When you're new at something as an adult, sometimes it feels like it's always difficult (or that it's going to stay difficult for much longer than it would if you were a 10 year old!). It's awesome to hear you guys say that you push through and have the same mental and psychological challenge on a day when you're just not feeling it.

turtle, water jogging is quite possibly one of the hardest workouts I have ever done (and hands down, the MOST boring, lol!). You really worked hard! I would love to add a different stroke in to switch things up, but when I look at videos of how to do them correctly, I realize that my timing is off (breaststroke) and rather than learn it wrong, I'm tabling any new strokes for now.

@Curly, I so agree with your comments to Mac & AQ. As for the water jogging, I did it out of necessity. :wink: I knew there was no way I was going make it lap after lap (swimming freestyle) and took advice previously given to mix it up with added drills. It saved me from boredom and, more importantly, from getting frustrated.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Pool running is THE WORST. Kudos to you for mixing it in.

Like, I cannot and will never swim to music, but I bought a waterproof MP3 *specifically* for pool running. Ugh, ugh, ugh.

(I'm a frequently-injured runner. It's necessary and good for me.)
  • getfitrenee22
    Options
    Thanks for all the inspiration!! Got back in the pool after months of procrastinating...and finished 3000yds in just under an hour...mixed in some drills, kicking & mixing in lots of backstroke, breaststroke and even a few laps of fly drill! Looking forward to getting in the pool at least once a week...I don't know if I can handle the chlorine in my pores more than that!
  • juliet3455
    Options
    1000m free + 100m Kick drills + 100m Breast + Flip turns, and a little Sauna time.
    14 lane swimmers and 3 double lanes so it was :(
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A big celebration to all us swimmers - I've just noticed this will make post 1000 on this thread...

Hurrah! 3 cheers! Pop of champagne bottle etc etc!

Happy swimming everyone. X
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    A big celebration to all us swimmers - I've just noticed this will make post 1000 on this thread...

Hurrah! 3 cheers! Pop of champagne bottle etc etc!

Happy swimming everyone. X

Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah!
    Here's to the next thousand! :sunglasses: