Grrrr EMS people! (rant)

Options
So I passed out today in biology, 911 was called, the whole shebang. It was ASSUMED that I fainted from LOW BLOOD SUGAR! I wear a medical ID saying I'm prone to fainting from low blood PRESSURE, so what do they do? Insist that I eat peanut m&ms, and not just a few, a package. An entire single serve package, the kind with over 30 carbs. It was that or get hauled to the hospital. So now I've been working out in an attempt to work off the extra carbs. I know they mean well, but for gods sake you'd think they could read my ID properly so they would have given me the right treatment. Rant over.

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    OH my how awful for you. Get a second ID band stating you are allergic to carbohydrates. I also have fainting due to low blood pressure. HA I worked in the cemetery for 11 years. Tended to freak people when I was down on the ground writing information from the stones to add to the new mapping project I did and as I stood up I would tip over like Timber. I forget the name for it but when your legs are bent over like kneeling then lean back on your heels will also get me every time. Be careful.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    LOL, thanks!
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Just thought of some thing Carry a fat bomb with you.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry - that sounds horrible. Glad you didn't have to go to the ER. As for working off the extra carbs, I wouldn't worry about it, you'll get back on track within at most a week just going back to eating low carb.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    What fat bomb doesn't need refrigeration? I am suddenly intrigued.

Im glad to her it shouldnt damage me too much!
  • shadesofidaho
    Options
    Thinking some thing with peanut butter and coconut oil as long as it is not too hot out side or in the areas you spend most of your time in. Or maybe a dry protein drink. I used to take some protein powder in a plastic jar. It bailed me out many times when hubby was so sick and i was waiting around hospitals for him. You could always just carry a packet of it with you. I mixed mine in ice and water. There always seems to be ice machines some where in facilities or just cold water. There might even be some packets of something that can be dumped into bottled water that is good for you and not just a sugar straw. Even a protein bar. Not always the best option but better then m & m's.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thinking some thing with peanut butter and coconut oil as long as it is not too hot out side or in the areas you spend most of your time in. Or maybe a dry protein drink. I used to take some protein powder in a plastic jar. It bailed me out many times when hubby was so sick and i was waiting around hospitals for him. You could always just carry a packet of it with you. I mixed mine in ice and water. There always seems to be ice machines some where in facilities or just cold water. There might even be some packets of something that can be dumped into bottled water that is good for you and not just a sugar straw. Even a protein bar. Not always the best option but better then m & m's.
    i agree . like a no sugar bliss ball, loads of coconut butter, oil , cocoa powder and ground almonds, dessicated coconut and stevia and it might soften a tad without refrigeration, but will still do the trick.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    OH my how awful for you. Get a second ID band stating you are allergic to carbohydrates. I also have fainting due to low blood pressure. HA I worked in the cemetery for 11 years. Tended to freak people when I was down on the ground writing information from the stones to add to the new mapping project I did and as I stood up I would tip over like Timber. I forget the name for it but when your legs are bent over like kneeling then lean back on your heels will also get me every time. Be careful.

Was/is it syncope?
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

Sounds like orthostatic hypotension, often related to dehydration.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Do you know why you fainted? Have you followed up with your doctor?
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm curious... Did they check your sugar? They should have had a glucose monitor. The other thing to consider is that if you're breath is giving off ketones, it's entirely possible someone thought you were diabetic.

Either way, they should have checked your bracelet and called medical command if there was ANY doubt.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I wonder if they would have mis-read your bracelet if it was a peanut allergy bracelet. I'd also be very pissed off if EMS folks made me eat anything I didn't want to, particularly chocolate because I have IC (interstitial cystitis) and it is incredibly irritating to my bladder and can cause severe pain flare for weeks. A glucose tablet or two would have been sufficient if they had checked your blood sugar and found it low, wouldn't it?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    I fainted because of low blood pressure, my nervous system fails to regulate that sometimes. I'm under care for it, and keto is actually part of the treatment. A huge part of the reason I was pissed truth be told. They did check my sugar, and it was a bit low, but "treatable with solid food". My sugar levels have always been a bit on the low side, that's my normal. They also assummed I was diabetic, I had ketone breathe apparently. The two who were there are now on administrative leave while their training is gone over. Apparently they were very in the wrong to give mee food that was not found in my bag, due to danger of allergies.
  • SyntonicGarden
    Options
    Yeah, I figured as much with the ketone breath, which is why I asked about the glucometer check. I can somewhat see the jump from that and low sugar to "OH MY GOD! DIABETIC EMERRRRRRGENCY!!" sort of... Kind of... :\

From an EMS perspective, if you were even remotely combative (especially about not wanting to eat the candy or go to the hospital), that completed the trifecta for the "obvious textbook diabetic in crisis." The bracelet and the fact that you gave them your patient history really should've been big enough clues though.

Kind of weird that they didn't reach for the oral glucose. Not sure where you live, but in PA, it's protocol for EMTs as well as medics. Its ingredients are known and it has minimal allergens. There are usually two tubes on our trucks.

Peanut M&Ms? What the heck kind of allergen roulette is THAT? So glad you didn't have a reaction.

Definitely sounds like a training issue. Hopefully, they get the training they need to be better practitioners.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    I live in California, in an area with lots of diabetics actually. So I get it, kinda. I hope they get training that's more appropriate, and I'm glad it was me and not somEone with food allergies. The craziest thing was that no one checked my purse, only my backpack. I carry cake decorating gel for a friend who is t1 & occasionally needs it. That really would have made them think I was diabetic.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I'm curious... Did they check your sugar? They should have had a glucose monitor. The other thing to consider is that if you're breath is giving off ketones, it's entirely possible someone thought you were diabetic.

Either way, they should have checked your bracelet and called medical command if there was ANY doubt.

If they thought they were diabetic, and had ketone breath, they would of been in Ketoacidosis. That's extremely high glucose levels. If that were so, giving her more carbs would of made it worse. (I'm diabetic).

Also, I know of no diabetics that wears bracelets. Maybe if you are type 1, but hardly ever if you're type 2.

Dan the Man from Michigan

• DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I figured as much with the ketone breath, which is why I asked about the glucometer check. I can somewhat see the jump from that and low sugar to "OH MY GOD! DIABETIC EMERRRRRRGENCY!!" sort of... Kind of... :\

From an EMS perspective, if you were even remotely combative (especially about not wanting to eat the candy or go to the hospital), that completed the trifecta for the "obvious textbook diabetic in crisis." The bracelet and the fact that you gave them your patient history really should've been big enough clues though.

Kind of weird that they didn't reach for the oral glucose. Not sure where you live, but in PA, it's protocol for EMTs as well as medics. Its ingredients are known and it has minimal allergens. There are usually two tubes on our trucks.

Peanut M&Ms? What the heck kind of allergen roulette is THAT? So glad you didn't have a reaction.

Definitely sounds like a training issue. Hopefully, they get the training they need to be better practitioners.

I'm not picking on you. just want to point out a little more. Pretty much, the only way a type 2 diabetic can go low enough to faint is if they are on insulin. Pills can do it, but you would have to like water fast for a day and then take the pills. All they had to do if she is awake, is ask her is she is taking insulin. If she ain't, there's little chance that she could go low. Type 2 diabetics have trouble keeping their blood sugar levels from going high.

Now on the other hand, if she was Hypoglycemic (the opposite of Diabetics), now you've got something. Yes, you would want to give her candy or sugar, only if she exhibits low blood sugar. I have overtaken my insulin probably 80 to 100 times and went low. I live alone. So I have been risking it sometimes. Here is what happens when you go low:

If you are awake:
    Mildly low: 60-70: You'll start seeing spots
    Low: 40-60: More spots, dizziness
    Pretty low: 30 - 40: You'll start sweating now matter how cold it is. Brain fog. More dizziness
    Really low: 20-30 all of the above but worse.

The lowest I have been is 19. I think you have to go lower than 20 (for most people, I was just lucky) to faint.

If you are asleep (most of mine occur at this time, because I would take too much before bedtime and not have eaten recent enough):
    You'll start sweating, then 100% of the time you will wake up. It wakes you up.
    After sitting up on the edge of the bed, your mind is so screwed up, that you have to try with all your might to tell yourself to eat sugar. If none is next to the bed, I would really struggle to get to the kitchen. You stagger like a drunk. After eating some sugary substance, I go back to bed and in 15 minutes I am back to sleep like nothing happened.

If you are awake and you start to see spots, you can usually get to some sugar fast enough before the sweating occurs. Although it is really bad if it also hot outside.

Now, if someone fainted and revived, the difference between a really low glucose level and her condition, would be if she had severe "brain fog". I don't know if her condition gives her slurry speech of not. In other words, going low glucose has more side effects than just fainting as I detailed above. YMMV.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• SyntonicGarden
    Options
    Thanks! I've never run into either and still know to call medical command if I'm not sure. Still floors me they handled the way they did though.
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    You do know that you can refuse medical treatment? Why didn't you just stick up for yourself, show them your ID or threaten to call a lawyer?

Don't blame them for the M&Ms. It's just one pack, not a big deal, but in the end no one forced them down your throat but you.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    You do know that you can refuse medical treatment? Why didn't you just stick up for yourself, show them your ID or threaten to call a lawyer?

Don't blame them for the M&Ms. It's just one pack, not a big deal, but in the end no one forced them down your throat but you.

Your message carries a tone of insult that is not in the least appreciated. You weren't there, and I'd like you to reflect on the fact that you don't know the exact circumstances surrounding the incident before you post such a message in the future. FYI, I am not considered fit to refuse treatment just after an episode, due to some medical hallmarks such as swimming vision. Sticking up for yourself has a prerequisite, being of sound mind, which I appear not to be just after I come to. Also, I am perfectly within my rights to blame them for the M&Ms as they never should have pushed such an issue or given me food not found within my own belongings, it is against protocol. If it had been glucose tablets I would have been annoyed, but not so mad as about the candy. It was also the wrong treatment, and had my condition been worse than it is, say a 4 instead of a 2, not receiving the correct treatment could have caused further issues.

I come here for support and advice, not to experience such remarks.