Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Workout A this evening. It actually went really well.

Squats 5x5 at 170#. These felt better than Wednesday, but I think I need to hang out here for at least 2-3 more sessions. (This is close to body weight, so things are getting real heavy now.)
    Bench 5x5 at 110#!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I did it!!!!!!! I finally did 110# without failing! I had a few ugly last reps on 2 sets, but I got them up!!!!!
    Rows 5x5 at 100#.
  • @ Canadian -- Dammit. I didn't eat my apple. It's still in my backpack. I'll have it later. Thanks for reminding me. (Seriously.) :)

@Mirrim -- There's a Rippetoe article around here somewhere that talks about not worrying that much about being so vertical in squats. Those of us who read it and chatted about it all said "Oh! Maybe my form isn't as bad as I thought!" Let me see if I can dig it up....

@TheMOC -- Have you considered stacking plates under the bar for rows if the depth is too much?

@Krok -- I have such a great mental picture of you in that outfit. Wish there were pics. :)

@Izzy -- It's totally addicting! Welcome to the club! :)

Today kind of got away from me and I just didn't want to go to the gym. I rarely feel quite so adamant about it, so I'm listening to myself and will go tomorrow.

xo,
    C.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited February 2015
    Thanks @crabada‌, but I am totally doing the hips coming up before the upper body thing, so I know it is something I need to work on. Not every time, but I notice it when I am getting tired.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    I guess we just jump in? I'm at the end of week 3.

Squats 5X5 75lbs
    Bench 3X5 60lbs 2X2 60lbs
    Barbell Row 5X5 60lbs
  • WillRun4Wine79
    WillRun4Wine79 Posts: 10 Member
    Friday was workout A
    Squats: 5 5 @ 85lbs. Repeat weight, felt so much better this time.
    Bench: 5×5 @ 60lbs. 3rd time here but finally completed them all!
    Row: 5 5 @ 45 lbs. I was really struggling with form so I started over again.
    Started today with a 3 mile walk/run. Now I get to eat all the foods at my nephew's birthday party!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Last day of my de-load week - did OHP and DL.

OHP - 5@47.5, 5@57.5, 5@67.5lbs then 10@62.5lbs
    Inverted rows - 4x10

DL - 5@85, 5@105, 5@125lbs then 2x10 @135lbs and 2x10 sumo DL @ 135lbs
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    crabada wrote: »
    @ Canadian -- Dammit. I didn't eat my apple. It's still in my backpack. I'll have it later.

well . . . did you? :p i'm only getting on your case because i bought apples myself halfway through last week, at the grocery store across the road from my job. so then i had to get them all eaten by friday, and apples have been on my mind.

i've forgotten what your other resolutions were, but if you'd like us to keep each other honest on, say, the subject of planks . . . i'm your man. i'm not sure if i'm good for much else on the lifting itself atm.

• AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    gah...typed a long check-in for last night and accidentally deleted it.

I lifted stuff last night. Check on check-in!

Happy Valentine's Day everyone!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@75, 5x5@105. I feel like squats got a lot more locked in with form when I started wearing Vibrams for lifting. Even if the dry cleaner made fun of my VFFs when I ran errands post gym.

Bench press: 2x5@45, 5x5@70. This was a repeat weight, and i felt really strong this time. Moving up next time!

Barbell row: 5x5@95.

Had to leave the gym then because the wife and tiny one were done with swim class. When I got home I did day 1 of the 100 push-ups challenge app. Not sure if I will follow it through to 100, but I am trying to incorporate more push-ups into my routine.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@75, 5x5@105. I feel like squats got a lot more locked in with form when I started wearing Vibrams for lifting. Even if the dry cleaner made fun of my VFFs when I ran errands post gym.

Bench press: 2x5@45, 5x5@70. This was a repeat weight, and i felt really strong this time. Moving up next time!

Had to leave the gym then because the wife and tiny one were done with swim class. When I got home I did day 1 of the 100 push-ups challenge app. Not sure if I will follow it through to 100, but I am trying to incorporate more push-ups into my routine.
    What app is that (or should I do the obvious thing and just search for 100 push ups lol)? I need to work on my push ups, too.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Treadmill sprints and core day: DONE! (10 rounds of 20s sprint w/ 60s rest in-between. Alternated between 7.5 and 10% incline as well as 6.5-7.5mph depending on the round's recovery. I had some mishaps with the treadmill but all in all wasn't too bad. I'll kick it up a notch next week. The core circuit was tough! TRX knee tucks are tough!

I also added some low incline DB chest press superset with incline rows (3 sets of 10-12 with 30-35lbs)
    Some 12lbs DB rear-delt raise into side lateral raises into front raises (10/6/6 basically)
    Then some lying skullcrushers and close grip bench press with an EZ bar (3 sets of 15, 30-35lbs)
    And finished it off with EZ bar spider curls into reverse grip curls (3 sets of 20/15/15 with 20/25/25 lbs. Woop!)

Had quite a pump when I left the gym. and this kinda session's not too bad to recover from, high reps light weight means some lactic acid build-up which means GH release which means fat loss! (I've read too many articles, lol)

Not bud seriously? happy tomorrow is a rest day!

@katro I have one of those 100 push-ups apps. Be honest I'd rather knock out submax sets throughout the day then try to follow the app. Which I have been doing lately and I've been improving, so, also something worth looking into. ;)
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    katro111 wrote: »

What app is that (or should I do the obvious thing and just search for 100 push ups lol)? I need to work on my push ups, too.

On android it's called 100 Pushups. It basically has you start with a baseline, and then build on it 3x per week.

There's an app by the same company called "Just Six Weeks" that offers push-ups plus other workouts like squats, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    katro111 wrote: »

On android it's called 100 Pushups. It basically has you start with a baseline, and then build on it 3x per week.

There's an app by the same company called "Just Six Weeks" that offers push-ups plus other workouts like squats, sit-ups, pull-ups, etc.

I have the same app on my iPhone. I just searched 100 Pushups and found it. The iphone app is orange with a green person on it and is just called "Pushups."
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Been on a mini vacation for a couple of days, managed to run 6km one morning away so I'll take that! Back to the garage this morning

Squat 5x5 @‌ 145lbs.
    OHP 5x5 @ 66lbs ready to move up again.
    Deadlifts - aargh. Not good today 1x5 @ 190lbs then 1x2 @ 210lbs blah!! So knocked out another 1x5 @ 190lbs.

Off to eat mmmmmm
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    Seriously unmotivated right now. Grrrrr.

Going to take Huck out for a bit and see if I can walk myself out of this funk.

The 30 Day Fitness Challenge app is pretty cool and has a push-up challenge. You can check out the website too -- 30dayfitnesschallenges.com
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Skipped out today. It is my daughter's birthday party day. Party started at 10 am, followed by bringing my niece home for a sleepover. And of course the gym closes early on Saturdays, so didn't get a chance to go. Tomorrow is a big scrimmage though, and I will move my Tues workout to Monday this week so that I don't go too long between workouts.

Party was good though! So I am still counting the day a success.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    bit of everything because it's been a while. workout x:

squats: 2x5@45, 1x5@50, 1x5@60, 4x5@65, 4@5@70. or something like that. i jumped into an empty rack without warming up first, so i took it extremely slow. back still my weak link.

ohp: 5x5@30. just because. i'm working that whole rippetoe thing of pushing my ribcage up to show off my boobs, and then lifting off from that base. that and telling myself to make my whole body into a rigid column starting from the toes up . . . it's making me almost like ohp, at least at this weight.

i'll say something here. something i saw somewhere on youtube, not lifting-related, made me wonder how flexible my sternum was suddenly. well, it wasn't at all. that ability to just kind of gorilla your ribcage out and up all by itself has become fascinating to me, but it puts a surprising hit onto the upper-back muscles until they get used to it.

rows: i did some cautious form-only row sets between sets of the overhead press. probably around 3 sets of about 10 reps each time. i've got a bit of a mental thing going on atm about not letting my bench press get too far out in front of my upper-back stuff, so this was part of that plan. also, since it doesn't seem like my left shoulder is going to mobilize soon,i'm trying to retrain myself to hold my right side back to only whatever my left side can do, so as to stop torquing my spine.

deadlifts: eh, i was just working mostly on form, so the details aren't important. i started at 50lbs and worked up in 10/20lb increments. stopped at 100, i think, but i didn't count reps anywhere on the way. again, the chest-up idea might be coming together for me.

bench: 5x5@45. i'm being careful and as i say experimenting to see what will happen if i hold the bench back and let ohp/rows balance out. but i did start throwing in extra reps after a couple of sets.

hung from the smith-machine bar between lifts, and sometimes here and there between sets. i'm getting stronger at that, and it feels good for my shoulders and spine. tonight just for fun i also started lifting my legs from straight to chair-sitting position for a few reps on each hang. afterwards i stretched quads, erectors, neck, lats, rhomboids, pretty much everything in my legs and came home.
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Finally back to the gym after having to take a whole week off due to this pesky cold. Still have a slight cough but managed to do some lifting after work. Also figured it was time since I planned to do it soon and had the little time off from lifting, so I'm starting up NROLFW... kinda. I'm doing a couple extra lifts each day on top of the routine because I want to and part of doing it is to learn different lifts. The rep range is very different. Kind of weird feeling going from 5 sets of 5 on squat to doing 2 sets of 15. But it's not too bad overall and maybe my push up will start to improve.

Stage 1, A1
    Squat - 2x15 @ 95 - fine but definitely different doing 15 instead of 5 reps per set.

Push up - 1x10 using seated row bench, 1x15 using rail near walkway. - I tried to use the bench cause it was convenient but no go, just a bit too low for me at this point.
    Seated Row - 2x15 @ 50 - not bad though like the pendlay and other standing row I don't feel it much and almost seems stomach/chest get in the way.

Step up - 2x15 @ 15 db - shaky, but glad they have a short enough step thing for me to use. The weight was light but maintaining balance and making sure the correct leg did the work took most of the effort.
    Prone Jacknife - 2x15 - I took a slight break during first set after 10, then on second set felt fine but foot slipped off after rep 7, so had to get reset.

3x8 @ 45 front squat
    3x8 @ 45 overhead press

Treadmill to cool down and end the night with a nice walk.

I noticed for late night on Valentine's Day, it was mostly guys lifting. A few females here and there, but the small crowd tonight was mostly men. Though that's not too different than the usual 11 pm crowd, though might be one or two more females on other nights. I wanted to try using the smith machine to get a good height for push ups because I can't do them from the floor (even from knees as my stomach gets in the way) but there was a bench thing in front of it and I was too lazy to move it. Lots of weights getting left on things tonight too. I went to the squat rack 2 times during my lifting and both times had to look around, figure out no one was using it, then take the weights off the bar.

And that was my Valentine's... well, work too but this was more fun. :wink:
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    So first off...I AM SOOOO MAD AT MYSELF!! I was feeling better so headed back to the gym. Squats racks were taken so I did leg press 3x12 @‌ 140lbs. That felt OK on my back so did 10 SL deads and then jumped to 95lbs. Did 1 and f**ked my back so bad it brought me to tears. I cried the whole way home from the gym
    Sad part...I cried more because I hurt myself and this is derailing my program than the actual pain. 6mths of this and now I injure myself!!!

Going to be taking some time to heal and will be probably looking into something to help strengthen my back before I come back to DL. I have a major love/hate relationship with them at the moment.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Back injuries are so recurrent, you better heal that one for real before trying DL again. I'm feeling you, I had back issues in the past and I am somewhat sensitive in this area, so I have to be careful on DL and also on pendlay rows. I hope you'll feel better.