Just made Oopsie Bread

Options
2»

Replies

• MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk we found at a health food store and had to ask because we had no idea what we were looking for. It was in their bulk spice section. Hope that helps you find it near you!
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    We use the flaxseed meal for the MIM. We found a big bag at Costco but used flax seed itself and my husband just used our spice grinder aka coffee grinder to make it into a fine meal/flour texture.

I havent used the psyllium husk for anything yet. Does it taste or have a texture like it is a husk of something?
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    We use the flaxseed meal for the MIM. We found a big bag at Costco but used flax seed itself and my husband just used our spice grinder aka coffee grinder to make it into a fine meal/flour texture.

I havent used the psyllium husk for anything yet. Does it taste or have a texture like it is a husk of something?

When you pour water in it, it tastes like drinking snot. There is not much taste, its neutral.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • Alliwan
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »

When you pour water in it, it tastes like drinking snot. There is not much taste, its neutral.

Oh em gee! I about lost my breakfast reading that. ew, i think i might stay away from that then. Ill stick with my flaxseed meal tyvm! lol

Cant see them using that as a sale slogan.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Psyllium husk ground up is what is in Metamucil, from what I've found. I've been told though to make sure you get WHOLE psyllium husks for any LCHF/Keto cooking, as the ground up stuff doesn't digest the same, and can also mess up the recipes.
  • NurseJilly76
    NurseJilly76 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For cooking aforementioned MIMs, would one need to oil said cooking vessel first, or do they pop out easily?
  • DittoDan
    Options

Oh em gee! I about lost my breakfast reading that. ew, i think i might stay away from that then. Ill stick with my flaxseed meal tyvm! lol

LOL! I bought two huge containers of it and I am stuck with them. I was using it for relief of constipation (it works). I just can't drink the stuff, too gross.

One time, I thought I would flavor it up by putting it in my hot tea. (I think that was the last time I drank it). It swelled up so much so, that it was like oatmeal. :s

• DittoDan
    Options

I found my posting about Psyllium husks:

"Constipation & Psyllium Husks"

I hope this helps,

• Alliwan
    Options

LOL! I bought two huge containers of it and I am stuck with them. I was using it for relief of constipation (it works). I just can't drink the stuff, too gross.

One time, I thought I would flavor it up by putting it in my hot tea. (I think that was the last time I drank it). It swelled up so much so, that it was like oatmeal. :s

Oatmeal tea? Hmm that's a flavor Quaker hasnt tried yet.

For cooking aforementioned MIMs, would one need to oil said cooking vessel first, or do they pop out easily?

No oil needed. They slide out of the mug easy. If you are doing a bread, find a square microwavable container and put it in there kind of flat and spread out a little. Then cut it in half or put half in at a time so you have two pieces of bread.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. I will be trying an oopsie recipe that just asks for eggs, cream cheese, and cream of tartar most likely this evening. The MIM sounds fantastic but it will have to wait until I buy a new microwave lol. I'm going to read up more on flaxseed recipes. The Psyllium husks, when typed into my search engine, just brings up Metamucil type stuff. We have a health food store but it always gives me the willies, for some reason. I may check anyway when the weather clears some.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    914vxr77swo8.jpg

I made oopsie bread for the first time about 3 weeks ago, I thought it was okay, but like another commenter, I did not care for the taste as much, I thought the egg taste was pretty over powering. I think it would be better with additional spices in it. I did however like it with peanut butter one it, but I love peanut butter on just about everything. I really liked using the mini-pie pans (target).
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I may have to get one of those pans.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I buy this for the PH

ntxgn41rqieq.jpg
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I used psyllium husk that I bought at CVS in the Metamucil aisle LOL...I found the recipe to be great.No snot taste anywhere heehee!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Gluten free bakers that are trying to mimick a glutenous product (pizza crust...yeast bread...etc.) will use psyllium husk in baking....i think it has to do with that unique texture Dan referred to earlier. Gluten Free Girl does a lot of baking with psyllium.

http://glutenfreegirl.com/a-guide-to-gluten-free-baking/