Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Options

Replies

• ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    I've been wondering how to balance cardio and lifting too...Not so much now but during the Summer. I usually do long distance biking (50-80 miles, even 100 miles per ride). If I stick to my MWF lifting schedule then Saturdays would probably be my best day for a long ride...Just thinking out loud. Does anyone have experience/suggestions?

Todays Workout:

Warmup
    5 minute bike
    1 minute arm swings
    2 minute kettlebell swings
    1 minute jumping jacks
    Seems to be working well so I'll stick with this.

Lifts
    Squat 5x5 105
    OHP 4x5, 1x4 50 (yay!)
    DL 1x5 75, 1x5 90, 1x5 100
    I tried to do 115 lbs (prior to the 100 lb lift) but it's still too heavy. I am going to build slowly due to back issues. Hopefully increase in volume will eventually allow increase in weights...

Accessories
    Convict Conditioning Pullups Step 3: Jackknife Pullups 3x15
    Convict Conditioning Pushups Step 3 Knee Pushups 2x10
    Standing Biceps Curl 3x12 35
    Triceps Extension 3x12 15
    tricep kickback 3x12 16

Stretching and cool down...
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    ScientificExplorerGirl Posts: 535 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Yesterday was a run day. I did 4 miles in 38:06 (which is 57 seconds faster than last week)!

That's awesome progress!!

@Dawn - you must be feeling some fantastic burn doing 2x15 squats!! Good on you :-)

One more thing---did anyone else notice a change in the tone in the SL app? I feel like I'm entering a wrestling ring ;)
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Yesterday was a run day. I did 4 miles in 38:06 (which is 57 seconds faster than last week)!
    awesome! well done!
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Man, today was weird. Had a hard time just staying asleep past 2:45. Only slept like 5.5 hours if even that. Loaded up on C4 before I left for the gym. Despite last night's foam rolling I was stiff as a board this morning, too.

After some warming up I was ready to attck the workout.
    1 arm DB snatch
    35x5
    40x5
    45x3
    45x3
    50x3

Box jumps
    20' x8
    22' x6
    23' x4
    24' x2
    24' x2

11005023_1397417697235414_1529121461_n.jpg

I tried to video the last 2 sets but my phone crashed on me both times *sigh* would've been ncie to see how comfortably I was clearing that 24'. It sure took a few seconds of bracing myself to go and try it, even with those shin guards xD

Then moved on to 5 rounds of double DB
    - clean & press x8
    - sumo deadlift x8
    - drop lunges x8
    - renegade rows x8

started with 30lbs. Killed my grip right there and then. Made it through without letting go, but had to drop to 25lbs for the next 3 rounds, and 20 for the last one. I just couldn't hold on to the DBs anymore D:

Finished with a tabata of high knee sprints and squat thrusts. Then some core work and I tried hollow swings and knee raises from the bar but shouldn't have cuz I pinched something in my left hand and it still hurts a bit xD

Not too bad for a birthday workout. Now I'm looking forward to the black forest cake tonight! =D
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    Happy birthday @krokador‌!!
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Happy birthday @krokador !!! :D

Workout B today

I felt my heart pumping for real after finishing my squats set, that was cool! There was a guy training for crossfit today next to me today (he always do weird and amazing things, today it was using the cage as a support for gymnastic rings he was using to make different exercises, like some kind of pull ups and floating crunches - seriously). He watched me doing my OHP and as I struggled hard to push the last rep on the last set, he mouthed me GOOD JOB and I felt shy but strangely cheered on. We cross paths when I was ready for work, and he wishes me a good day. It was my first real interactions with someone on the gym. Hm. Maybe I'm antisocial.

Warm up: 13 minutes bikings

Squat: 1x5 @ 45, 1x5 @ 65, 1x5 @ 85, 1x5 105, 5x5 @ 115. I should have done 120, but I felt like I am progressing really fast (lifting for 7 weeks now), and it could be a good idea to repeat some weights to work on form, so I repeated it.

OHP: 1x5 @ 45, 5x5 @ 50. Form is junk on that lift. I don't know what I'm doing, and I seem unable to increase my load. I will check that this weekend.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 50, 1x5 @ 95, 1x5 @ 120. Deadlifts felt heavier each time I'm doing those. Not sure why, I am supposed to be able to deadlift more than I squat, but it's hard.

Accessories: just planking 65 seconds (66, to be exact) on the BOSU.

Stretch, foam rolling and... I took a sauna before going to work. My my my. I'm feeling like a walking jelly.

My workout was apparently fueled by my poutine extravaganza yesterday night. Should eat poutine more often, I felt like I was a badass.
  • WillRun4Wine79
    WillRun4Wine79 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @krokador!
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Happiest of birthdays @krokador!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @krokador
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday krokador!!

Thanks for the encouragement @xcalygrl‌
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Getting back into my Stronglift program. I trying to see where I'm at again. This was last night. I'm not sore or anything today. I definitely can go heavier next time.

Bench Press - 5x5 @ 95 lbs.

Rows - 5x5 @ 80 lbs.

Squats - 5x5 @ 135 lbs.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Happy birthday Krok!

Thrilling Friday night at the gym and tomorrow I'm going to clean out the fridge. Watch out world, this girl has gone wild!

Squat 120 5x5 this was kind of hard. I felt weak today but more on that below.

Bench 80 5x5 plus 85 1x2.5. Meh.

Row 80 5x5 deloaded from 85 because of weakness.

Lots of accessories tonight:
    Rack pulls 115 3x8 12"
    Skull crushers 40 3x8
    Prison dips BW 3x10
    Split squat 50 3x10 each side
    Chest flies 20 3x10 each side

So feeling weak because I went to the doctor today for a few problems I've been having. Not feeling my best to begin with plus I started some new meds so I'm seeing how it affects me. Vertigo is a possible symptom so I'm being careful. I'm also wiped just from going to the doctor which is really stressful for me. Ugh feeling like a big mess right now but happy I'm getting help.
  • xcalygrl
    Options
    I skipped doing SL today in favor of going to a crossfit style workout I bought on a Groupon. I'm really glad I skipped lifting!

Workout was:
    About 8 mins of dynamic warm-ups (jogging, butt kicks, high knees, side shuffles x2, toe touches, etc.)

WOD (x5)
    5 pull-ups
    10 deadlifts
    10 push-ups
    10 box jumps
    10 knee-to-elbows
    10 kettle clean and presses (5 each arm)
    5 pull-ups
    5 burpees/1 min run/5 burpees/1 min run/5 burpees/1 min run

It was a freaking beast of a workout, but it was awesome. I felt strong the whole way through. I also enjoyed the change in my normal routine!
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday @krokador‌!

My lower back is supah sore and I'm not sure why. Decided to stay within same weight range, and kept rest time low. Threw 10 minutes on the stair stepper at the end because I haven't used one of those since high school. Still boring.

Squat
    Set 1: 45 lbs × 10
    Set 2: 55 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 65 lbs × 8
    Set 4: 75 lbs × 5
    Set 5: 75 lbs × 5
    Set 6: 75 lbs × 5
    Set 7: 75 lbs × 5
    Set 8: 75 lbs × 5

Overhead Press
    Set 1: 45 lbs × 8
    Set 2: 45 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 45 lbs × 8
    Set 4: 45 lbs × 8
    Set 5: 45 lbs × 8

Deadlift
    Set 1: 95 lbs × 5

Lat Pulldown
    Set 1: 60 lbs × 8
    Set 2: 60 lbs × 8
    Set 3: 60 lbs × 8

Back Extension
    Set 1: 10 reps
    Set 2: 10 reps

Have a great weekend gals! I'm having some friends over tomorrow night to play Cards Against Humanity and to watch "This Is Spinal Tap" (urged by a friend that swears I'm missing out on an important part of culture). Haha - not too sure about that.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Decent workout this AM:

Squats: 2x5@45, 1x3@75, 4x5@115, 1x4@115. Not counting my last rep because I felt a little shakey. Next time I think I will have 115lbs down.

OHP: 5x5@45. I deloaded back to the bar and I think I finally have the form down. Felt super easy too so hopefully when I get back to 55 I will bust past it.

Deadlifts: 1x5@135, 1x5@165.

3x5 renegade rows at 12lbs

3x farmers walks with 45lb Dumbbells. Hoping to improve my grip.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Need to remind myself to stay off the friggin scale! That thing does my f-ing head in!!

Ran yesterday - 5km

Lifted this morning:

Squat 5x5 @ 150lbs.
    Bench 5x5 @ 90lbs. Gonna stay here a bit longer
    Row 5x5 @ 95lbs.

Accessories: lat pull downs, Bulgarian split squats and push-ups.

Tried some amazing grass stuff in my post workout shake - seemed ok, anyone else use it? Overwhelming taste of green tea haha weird.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Nice workout today, still making my way back, actually I am at ohp weight but I have to catch up on deadlift and squats. I used to be able to squat more than I deadlifted before my accident, but now I am the other way around like most people, wonder if it will stay that way?

Workout B (Sat)

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 70

squats 5 x 5 - 155

Deadlifts 2 x 5 - 170

Underhand Curls - seated 5 x 5 - 95

Reverse Curls 5 x 5 - 95

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 10 - 40
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    only managing two workouts a week recently, probably due to side-effects of Terror *kitten* Regime job if i stop and think about it. anyway, went today and it was meh. today is just all about Arm Length Dysmorphia here. idk if i'm gumby or mr peanut, or what.

squats: 3x5@45, 2x5@55, 6x6@65. nothing much to report. guess when i've had a full squat workout with NO back kink to take care of afterwards, i'll add some more weight.

bench: bleh. had brief massage yesterday from someone who moonlights as a pt, and i guess my expectations were probably too high because she did some mobility/trigger work on my shoulder and actually seemed to know what she was doing with it. i did 3x5@45 and the weight was nothing but i just couldn't seem to get my form properly collected and set on the bench. also wondering if some of my trouble with bench is because the 'standard' set of safety hooks are too high for my arms. i can set my shoulders, but then i have to un-set them again just to reach the darned thing. i may try the ones that are way too low instead, next time it's bench.

deadlift. well yeah okay. i didn't count them really, although my 'working' set was i-think 6x1@120 pounds. so not too bad, considering this is the first time i've tried to dl for real in a while. for warmup i did a few sets of multiple reps at 50lb a few times, and then just jumped all the way up because and those were the plates that i found. afterwards i went back to 50 with the bumper plates and did another 3 sets or so of around 10 reps each time. 50 pounds is no weight, but 10 reps was actually quite a lot. i'm not sure if i finished the final set all the way, and expecting a sore bum tomorrow.

other stuff:

power cleans (first part): hah. well, i tried. i'm entertaining the idea of teaching myself power cleans bit by bit, and if i can do it then i'll give up the rows (with HUGE JOY). so today i used just the 30lb bar and practiced the hang position you finish with. well, guess what? i can't get the bar onto my deltoids, and this has plagued me quite a bit with the ohp too. and would you guys like to know why? . . . yeah, didn't think so. this one is going to take me a while to work out. but it still beats doing rows.

pullup bar: nah, no pullups. but i did three sets of dead hangs when i was all done, to stretch my shoulders basically. and in each one i did three reps of idk what to call it, that first part of hte pullup where you just overcome the dead hang. massage therapist told me she could see actual physical differences in muscle volume on left versus right, so i put a lot of focus on intentionally unbalancing the perceived amount of work onto my left.

• Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Workout B today. I made sure I didn't skip my stretching warmup but squats are still giving me issues.
    Squats: 1x5 be, 1x5 12lbs (empty bar), 5x5 17lbs
    OHP: 5x5 17lbs
    DL: 5x1 17lbs

One thing I notice is that I workout in the backyard next to my shed where I keep the mice that I breed for my snakes, so I'm constantly distracted between sets by checking on the mice, feeding snakes, cleaning cages, etc. I need to stop that and just focus on my sets. Also, after squats today, the back of my legs from my knees to the top of my hips were just killing me. Not the front quads, but the hams, glutes, and anything else that is behind the femur. Is that normal after squats? I didn't get my bike ride in today. Next week I start school, so it's going to be interesting how that affects my workout schedule.