Daily Check-in : It's the Fitness Fever-ary

Options

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    the back of my legs from my knees to the top of my hips were just killing me. Not the front quads, but the hams, glutes, and anything else that is behind the femur. Is that normal after squats?

idk if you ever did get the starting strength book, but if you did then it has a whole chapter explaining why squats actually should be more hamstring than quad, if they're done correctly. your doms sounds like a good sign to me.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    No workout today :(
    Back still sore from Thursday, so I am resting it a bit. It is getting better though, so I expect to be back at it on Mon or Tues.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Autumnfilly -- What exactly is the trouble you're having with squats? Is it a form thing? Are you having trouble completing reps? And I agree with Canadian, what you're experiencing doesn't sound abnormal. If your *knees* start to bother you, that's a whole other thing, though.

@Canadian -- Sounds like a decent workout to me, but I know that "meh" feeling well. And I'm going to guess that the issue with getting the bar to the delts is your... triceps??!!! Am I right?

@Mirrim -- Feel better!

@Psych -- You look amazing and your lifts are great. There is nothing the scale can tell you that's going to be helpful. If you need me to talk you off the ledge next time you have the urge, just let me know. Happy to do it.

Also no workout for me today, despite my skipping it yesterday and having good intentions. I just got caught up in what I was doing at the library and decided that was a better use of my time -- especially since I've been slacking seriously on school stuff lately. And honestly, I think it was the right decision. I haven't had a productive library day in ages, so this has me revved up to keep things on track for next week. I've really needed this kick in the pants. And end non-workout related rambling that was probably more appropriate for the chat thread. :)
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with squat form. I'm struggling to get to the proper depth, and on my last couple sets I have a hard time completing reps, most likely from fatigue I think. My knees are also bothering me, so I know I'm doing something wrong. I suspect that I'm traveling too far forward when I go down, but I keep forgetting to film myself.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @Autumn -- OK, so here's my unsolicited advice. :) I'd honestly consider just working on bodyweight squats until you have your form locked in and have more stamina. If you're struggling with multiple reps in multiple sets (vs. just one rep here and there), you may be pushing yourself too fast. Work up to 5x5 with BW and great form, then the bar, and then start adding weight slowly. I know it can be hard -- I was SO impatient when I started (still am!) -- but it's worth it in the long run. You are literally creating muscle memory, so form is key.

Do you have a mirror you could set up wherever you lift if you can't film yourself?

And yes, the distractions between sets could definitely be hindering your progress, since you're probably having to re-set your stances, re-think your form, etc. every time. I like to slowly walk during my rests, but there are lots of folks at my gym who simply sit or lean with their eyes closed until they're ready for their next set. Do whatever you need to keep yourself focused.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    @Canadian -- Sounds like a decent workout to me, but I know that "meh" feeling well. And I'm going to guess that the issue with getting the bar to the delts is your... triceps??!!! Am I right?

hee . . . for all i know, you are right. for my current purposes as someone with no clue about cleans, it's looking more like i'll need to work around my proportions somehow. looks like my forearms are at least the same length as my upper arms. so with my elbows folded totally flat and my wrists bent back as far as they'll go and the bar barely hanging from four fingertips, i'm way overshooting my delts. and actually, the higher i bring my elbows the wider the distance, for some reason.

i'll definitely have to experiment though. flexibility is very obviously a Thing with this lift.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @crabada‌ xxxx I may just do that x
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Crabada - Nice job getting work done at the library. I'm still behind in my online obligations, I need to kick that stuff in gear too.

Made it to the gym after work and got through the 15 reps. My back was a little sore tonight for some reason but overall it wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to the smaller rep sets coming up. Now I'm enjoying my heating pad.

Day 4, B2

2x15 Deadlift @ 135 - Decided to do less than last time, had to pause during second set to re-setup. It's not bad but that many reps makes the calluses cranky.

2x15 Shoulder Press @ 15 - decided to go up a little higher with the dumbbells.
    2x15 Lat Pulldown @ 50 - same weight as last time but not bad.

2x15 Lunges @ 22.5 - tried slightly heavier this time but they were tough.
    2x15 SB Crunches - still meh.

For fun:
    3x8 Front Squat @ 50 and 3x8 OHP @‌ 50

That is all. And somehow the 3 foam roller things were all gone. No idea where they ended up, so didn't get to do that at the gym. Good thing I have a little travel one now at home.
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    Crabada - Nice job getting work done at the library. I'm still behind in my online obligations, I need to kick that stuff in gear too.

Made it to the gym after work and got through the 15 reps. My back was a little sore tonight for some reason but overall it wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to the smaller rep sets coming up. Now I'm enjoying my heating pad.

Day 4, B2

2x15 Deadlift @ 135 - Decided to do less than last time, had to pause during second set to re-setup. It's not bad but that many reps makes the calluses cranky.

2x15 Shoulder Press @ 15 - decided to go up a little higher with the dumbbells.
    2x15 Lat Pulldown @ 50 - same weight as last time but not bad.

2x15 Lunges @ 22.5 - tried slightly heavier this time but they were tough.
    2x15 SB Crunches - still meh.

For fun:
    3x8 Front Squat @ 50 and 3x8 OHP @‌ 50

That is all. And somehow the 3 foam roller things were all gone. No idea where they ended up, so didn't get to do that at the gym. Good thing I have a little travel one now at home.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    power cleans (first part): hah. well, i tried. i'm entertaining the idea of teaching myself power cleans bit by bit, and if i can do it then i'll give up the rows (with HUGE JOY). so today i used just the 30lb bar and practiced the hang position you finish with. well, guess what? i can't get the bar onto my deltoids, and this has plagued me quite a bit with the ohp too. and would you guys like to know why? . . . yeah, didn't think so. this one is going to take me a while to work out. but it still beats doing rows.

one thing I learned early on with power cleans is that the fixed weight bars are a TERRIBLE thing to use. Because the weight can't rotate around the bar, it makes the "weight shift" on the way up a lot harder to manage. It might actually be easier for you to start with the oly bar -- if you can find a 35lbs bar even the better.

As for your front rack position, that is something you'll have to work on over time. If you go a page or 2 back I posted 2 video tips for better front rack mobility which would be useful, I think. It *is* normal for the weight to rest inside your fingers only and i often don't get the pinky in when doing cleans and lose them on front squats due to limited wrist flexibility. Doesn't prevent you from doing them, you just have to be careful not to drop the bar (but technically, you should be able to rest it on your shoulders with both your arms up in front of you not holding it. If you haven,t gotten the hang of that, it would be a good thing to start with, too)

And as a note: the cleans are much more trap-heavy and only work the lats to a certain degree. They're a greater overall exercise because they're explosive and recruit more muscles in general, but they're not exactly a row replacement. That being said, if you can't seem to complete the clean, you'll get pretty much the same trap and lat involvement from doing high pulls. Something to consider while you work on that wrist flexibility?
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    A 6 mile walk this morning up some steep hills with the kids and the dog. Our 3 year old managed the whole lot <3 We timed it well as we just got back in when it started sleeting hard.

Work out B after a Sunday lunch.

5x5 squats 60kg (132lb) this should have been 65kg but my legs felt a bit tired.

5x5 OHP 26kg (57) I still struggled with these but managed all the reps eventually but did a couple of split sets near the end of 3 then 2 reps. I have done this weight a few times so might up it every
    so slightly next time and do more sets of less reps.

DL 80kg (176lbs) 5 reps. Man I feel like a beast B)

Those OHP are still lagging way behind.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    krokador wrote: »
    It might actually be easier for you to start with the oly bar -- if you can find a 35lbs bar even the better.

yup. i always thought the one at my standard centre was 30lbs, but if it's five more than that i'll take it ;-) not ready for the big bar yet with this one.

i found the video stuff and thanks. tbh starrett usually seems a little too manic and crossfitty for someone like me - i'm not sure i trust that his definitions of 'safety' and 'reason' really line up with mine. but there was plenty there to get started with. i actually like the idea of not even using my hands for a while, so i'll hopefully learn to be honest about getting my elbows all the way up right away. as far as trapsversuslatsandetcetera, eh. pullups and cleans look like i might be able to learn stuff from them about left/right symmetry that i never have gotten right with the rows. so i think i'll explore that idea for a while, and re-assess later on.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @Dawn - What program are you doing now? And great job with your lifts. That's a lot of deadlifts! Awesome!!

@Fothers -- Nice job! Are you using dumbbells on the OHP? Curious because you mentioned split sets.

@Krok - What are high pulls?

Also, I posted a couple of questions in the accessories thread if any of you care to mosey on over there. :) Thanks in advance.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Squat 125 5x5. This felt easier than 115 and 120 so I guess it's my sweet spot. The guys next to me were squatting 365 but they weren't hitting parallel and they were looking up. I felt superior.

OHP 55 5,5,5,5,4. Made 5 but the last was fugly so I didn't count it and will repeat this weight.

Deadlift 155 5,1,1,1. I was going to go up by 5 instead of 10 but I said what the hell. My form was good. I did two double overhands, an opposite grip, and a sumo just to try it. I really felt the sumo in my groin so I don't know if I dig that.

I also did front squats 55 3x8 and side bends 30 3x15 each side. Then I walked on the treadmill for 40 minutes at 4+ mph and gossiped with my friend.

I think my medicine has built up a bit because I got pretty dizzy exerting myself. I had to take long breaks in between sets and squat down to the floor a lot. If it keeps up and I get dizzy doing other things, I'll talk to the doc.

• TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    @MissHoliday -- You should have looked over at them from your *kitten* to the grass position and said "Don't do that, you fools!"

And sorry about the dizziness. Sounds like you're being good and careful. xo
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    Good idea! Then when they got it right, give them a butt smack and say, "Now that's a good squat!" If I could turn back time...

Yes I am. On the bright side it gives me a good excuse to lay on the couch in a blanket burrito and order thai takeout instead of cooking.

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Happy birthday @krokador‌!

I'm back after a MUCH NEEDED rest week.

I got new lifting shoes today and my first workout in them went fabulously. I got Adidias Powerlift 2.0's. My heels stayed grounded to the floor and my knees pushed out like they should. So far so good! I also started a new program for squats, Smolov, in an effort to break past 185lbs. Every time I get up to 185, either my knee/ankle/something hurts, my form goes to crap or I can do one stellar set of like 8 reps and won't be able to repeat or move to 190. I'm gonna get past you, 185! You're toast! lol Since there's quite a bit of volume in Smolov, I won't be doing deadlifts, but the program says they're not really needed because as you increase your squat weight capacity, your deadlift max will also naturally increase so once you finish the 12 weeks of Smolov, your deadlifts will be just as awesome as your squats. I'm still doing Wendler's for bench and OHP, though.

Bench: 5@85.2, 5@92.5, 5@102.5lbs, then 3x10@77.5
    3x15 Inverted rows
    2x30 shoulder rotations (I used 5lb dumbbells, did 10 reps of three different movements for a total of 30 reps per set)
    Squats: 3x8@120, 5@130, 2x2@140, 1@150lbs

Edited to add: I've also adjusted my macros. I've been doing 40c/30f/30p for a looong time, but I always seem to be exhausted and even with pre-workout I feel like I burn out before I'm done with my workout (whereas in the past when I've eaten higher carb/lower protein I felt like I could workout for dayzzzzzz). So I'm going 45c/30f/25p for a few weeks and see how it goes. :smile:

• IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    Week 3 Today is Monday, workout A

Squats - 40 kg/88 lbs
    Bench - 1 x bar only 20kg/44 lbs then 4 x 25kgs/55 lbs
    Row - 20 kg/44lbs ( I used a lighter bar and added on the weights , I need to work on form so that's why I'm using a lighter weight)

Did some lunges and hip hikes in between sets, finished off with some push ups
  • DawnEmbers
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    @Dawn - What program are you doing now? And great job with your lifts. That's a lot of deadlifts! Awesome!!

I started doing New Rules of Lifting for Women. In what the book calls Stage 1 right now. First 4 days they are 2 sets of 15 reps, then 2 sets of 12 and 3 sets of 8. I do some extra stuff too just cause I wanna. It has been interesting to change things up a bit and do a few different lifts.
  • fothers365
    fothers365 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @crabada‌ No, I am using the Oly bar but sometimes I can only manage 3 reps then I need to set it down for a minute and then do the next 2 to make the 5. I have been struggling at this weight for a while so at least doing that I eventually got all the reps in. Sorry to have confused you! Terminology isn't my strong point yet :blush: