You Be YOU, I'll Be ME Member Support in the LCD/Keto Groups

Options
Sometimes we have so much info to share, what we did, how we did it..that we forget the next person has a different body is on a different journey. We all know how much LCHF bashing and what I call 'SHAME NATION' attitude is put on overweight people in the big topic forums.

As a newbie just 20 days here on Keto*, I spent the first week just cutting down carbs, giving away food, and figuring it out.

I'm a writer, and research librarian at heart, so I bought books, read like crazy online & in pubmed, watched lots of great vids ( Thanks to the longer term members here who provide them!)

Well It took me just three days of scrolling MFP forums to see the desperation, guilt, anger, and shame people placed on themselves to lose weight….if they ask for help what they get is some of the most amazing, useless advice, and flaming "you're gonna die".. " that's crazy fad" etc. I had to stop reading. Now I only reach out individually.

If we want our need for "Nutritional Diversity" and choices honored from the "1200 calorie starve-me-pump-me-up-club", then we must honor diverse LCHF methods too..we are all different. It is great to learn what CAN work, then we can take the 'bit' and try it, or keep searching.

LCD is 16,000+, and Reddit-keto only 5,000+ out of 1,216,025 people using MyFitnessPal
++++++++++++++++++++
*Adkin's worked great for me in 1974..but has been discouraged nationwide for 40 years.
How's that working' for us?

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Amen sister. And Atkins worked great for me in 72 for at least 10 years. Not so great 43 years later or 33 years from when I drifted off from it. But I am not giving up. I will hit the right numbers or fats, protein, relaxation on WOE or more rigid, that will work for me and I need to be accepting it is coming off slower but it is coming off not continuing to gain. I had no idea so many were using MFP. How few of us LC. Makes me SAD.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Funny thing, when I see cheese cake that is full of sugar on Pinterest, it has hundreds of pins, but my lonely Keto friendly cake has 4 pins. We all have sweet tooth, I get it, but for some reason everyone counts calories but not all the other poisons. Sad indeed!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that the LC group is small.... But then I am known for tilting at windmills...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That is one of the things I love most about this group. You don't see much bashing. You see, "this is what I do, here's what I know others do, maybe your level is somewhere in the middle. It is trial and error and learn what works for you. Here's a good starting point...adjust up and down from there..." I love that about us! High fives all around! We're just awesome. LOL

Oh, and I'm on Day 40, and still working to figure it out! LOL
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Love it! Some of the things people post on the main forums boggle my mind but I try to remember they're on a journey to. At least here people accept the differences without the derision and fear mongering.

Edited. I hate auto correct.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I love that about us! High fives all around! We're just awesome.

+1 <3
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I love the diversity and understanding here too, though I'm very conscious at times of having to translate my metric measurements into American and knowing that at least half of the members probably think I'm an idiot when I spell things correctly (for Australians but not Americans) LOL. Then there are the food names, it's incredible what different words can be used in different countries for the different foods. Oh well, keeps our minds active I suppose ha ha!
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this a lot too. When people ask me what I'm doing and I tell them I switched to a low carb/low sugar lifestyle I get nods of approval, but when I say I'm doing Atkins I get a hour long lecture about how I'm ruining my kidneys and going to die of a heart attack.

There is so much misinformation out there and most don't take the time to research any further than Google and Yahoo news clips. It can be really exhausting and discouraging but that is why I love this forum, safe place where people get it and even post about the latest research on low carb.

Fit_Goat posted a crazy awesome thread on calorie counting just the other day and I still can't get enough of it!

• Sugarbeat
    Options
    I love the diversity and understanding here too, though I'm very conscious at times of having to translate my metric measurements into American and knowing that at least half of the members probably think I'm an idiot when I spell things correctly (for Australians but not Americans) LOL. Then there are the food names, it's incredible what different words can be used in different countries for the different foods. Oh well, keeps our minds active I suppose ha ha!

I don't think you're an idiot. I like the diversity. I like it when the British folks say things like programme and "lost a stone" even though I don't know how much a stone is.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    For some reason, my web-browser is convinced that I am in Britain. So, it often will mark American spellings wrong and suggest the British style spellings.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options

I love your accent! xoxo
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    For some reason, my web-browser is convinced that I am in Britain. So, it often will mark American spellings wrong and suggest the British style spellings.

For some reason I find that really funny. Perhaps you type with an accent? Sorry, can't help it.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do find there is still a bit of an elite-ish attitude of "my carbs are lower than yours" or "I don't use unnatural sweeteners" etc.....but compared to the general forums, this group is the BEST.

I usually just tell people that I have cut out suger and processed foods. They pretty much don't question after that.

As far as the metric vs pounds vs stones etc, in this age of Google and so on, is it so hard to just translate it yourself if you want to know? I know kg because that's how they weigh in the hospital. Stones I had to look up because I was interested to know. Goes back to the title of the thread, just do/be YOU.

Edited: because autocorrect!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    When I decided to start using the forums I bee-lined my way right over to this one, and I'm pretty thankful now that I read this discussion. I would have backed right the *** away if I saw that kind of attitude. I get tired enough of the nutrition data in the database that only includes calories!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Okay, putting mod hat on, here.

I'm okay with ranting about the main forums, because we all know how bad they are (several of us have taken to untracking them all entirely), or people in real life, since we have zero control over what goes on in those places, but if you have a problem with a thread in this forum, please come to one of the mods about it. There are several of us in part for that reason. I don't think anyone likes to start seeing passive-aggressive posts and in-fighting within what most of us consider a safe haven.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I don't think you're an idiot. I like the diversity. I like it when the British folks say things like programme and "lost a stone" even though I don't know how much a stone is.
    I worked in a university School of Information Technology and was told very firmly by the academics that the computer version is program because it was invented by the Americans but a scheduling one was programme because it was a British English word. I have my suspicions it was originally a French word actually. I can't remember how many pounds are in a stone either. I spent 15 years in England and have been in Australia ever since and we use kilos. The British are *supposed* to be using kilos now, but a lot don't. All the more reason this thread is correct - we each need to be true to ourselves and the other readers need to adjust if necessary - preferably happily ;)
    itcphotog wrote: »
    I love your accent! xoxo
    My English one, my Australian one, or my written one? To Aussies I sound English, to the rest of the world I sound Australian :smiley:
    *Just teasing*... But the American spellings *are* wrong >:) No, I know they're not, we each have our own style.

• IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Per Google: 1 Stone = 14 pounds or 6.35 kilos.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    this is great. we are all different and base our versions of lchf on our personal preferences, health goals, weight goals, and medical problems. for instance, i'm one here that doesn't use artificial sweeteners, but it is not because i don't want to, it is because i have interstitial cystitis (ulcerative/inflamed bladder lining) and they make the pain, urgency, and frequency symptoms worse, which i don't want and won't tolerate just to eat something sweet. However, i'm not one to dwell on this fact, so don't mention it each time i may mention that i don't use them. we all should read posts as facts and understand that each of us has reasons for what we do/don't do.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options

You've obviously got a very well behaved browser, LOL
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Okay, putting mod hat on, here.

I'm okay with ranting about the main forums, because we all know how bad they are (several of us have taken to untracking them all entirely), or people in real life, since we have zero control over what goes on in those places, but if you have a problem with a thread in this forum, please come to one of the mods about it. There are several of us in part for that reason. I don't think anyone likes to start seeing passive-aggressive posts and in-fighting within what most of us consider a safe haven.

This includes if you're pissed off at a mod. You can go to another mod to rant about them. I am slightly suspicious that I might have inspired this, with my post about how measuring being important only matters if you're still assuming that counting calories is important. Maybe you feel uncomfortable telling a mod to go sod off.

First, you shouldn't be. I'm wrong as often as anyone else (probably). And, what I share is my opinion and my world view. You don't have to agree with me.

Second, if you message Dragonwolf (or any of the other mods), they'll tell me to sod off for you. LOL... believe me, they have no problem telling me when I am being a bit of a stubborn and mule-headed jerk.

Maybe I'm wrong. But, I looked through most of the posts OP made when this first showed up, the only one that wasn't universally well received (that I noticed) was the one where the only non-unanimous voice was my one. o:)

My recent spate of anti-counting bigotry has made a few people dislike me, or at least changed their opinion of me in a unplus-good way.