Doesn't Counting Calories Count?

Options

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Well I gave up the doughnuts and cake and do not miss it. I just wish I could eat plates piled high with veggies.

Some people are very set in their ways. Doctors are no better. At least mine admitted he did not study nutrition and wanted me to talk to a nutritionist. Not going to happen. the one thing I learned from the video I did not know was heating olive oil too hot turns it to trans fats. I did not know this.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Slow carber chiming in. (One currently doing South Beach phase 1 as a "recommitment"). One thing I've NEVER understood among the counters: why they force themselves to eat 100 or 300 calories on a day when they aren't hungry. As if the body magically resets at midnight and something bad will happen if they don't "hit their goal".
    I'm not speaking of the ones who are starving themselves, I mean the ones who claim that they add a snack or food to their day simply to satisfy a number. Even before losing I knew I had a rhythm. Some days I was hungrier, some days I wasn't. I certainly didn't force myself to eat more on the non-hungry days.

I've done this, and I'm not sure I understand either. Its like you have this feeling of, someone told you to eat a certain number of calories, therefore you must.

It's how I feel about "IIFYM" in general. Just now on the main boards someone asked about bulletproof coffee. Someone else said it was fine if the fat fit their macros.
    My question was: what happens if your fat is above, other than a number turning red?
    It often seems that IIFYM really means: eat protein.
    Then why bother with all this macro chanting by the counters?
    And, in reality, why the protein? Do most of them know why they're eating all the protein?

Because some "bro-bodybuilder-guru" (who also readily shows the world his nipples on a regular basis) said so.

In reality: IIFYM got traction here because you can eat donuts while feeling like you're doing something good for your body (the protein).

That's what it seems like to me. It's an "enabler." But I might be slightly biased. :wink:

There's another rabid anti-lc thread out there now. Someone asked how to stay below 50, got 2 pages of people yelling at her that it's dangerous to eat that few carbs, that she must not have understood her dietitian, etc etc. I always get the feeling, especially with the ones that go out of their way to seek those threads out, that it's more of a compulsion with them - they cannot mentally handle anyone doing anything differently than they do, or it somehow makes them insecure about their own choices. There's no other reason to explain why they're so unwilling to drop it.

They accuse everyone else of "demonizing foods" or "depriving themselves". Here's a D-word for them of which they are guilty: DENIAL. Every time they begin their knee-jerk accusations, all it makes me read is: "I feel guilty, because I know I'm triflin'. Must defend myself. Duck and roll! Put on the helmets! This is not a drill! I'm under attack! They're going to take my sugar away from me! Don't let them out alive!"

At which point I renew my decision to stay the heck away from the Litterbox. They are going to make me roll my eyes to the point they will get stuck.
    That's a good point. And in reality, THEY demonize low carb and ANYTHING other than eat all the crap.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Well I gave up the doughnuts and cake and do not miss it. I just wish I could eat plates piled high with veggies.

Some people are very set in their ways. Doctors are no better. At least mine admitted he did not study nutrition and wanted me to talk to a nutritionist. Not going to happen. the one thing I learned from the video I did not know was heating olive oil too hot turns it to trans fats. I did not know this.

I'm with you. I LOVE the veggies. I love big salads. I adore raw vegetables, roasted vegetables, vegetable stir fry...

Meat and two veg could be my motto.
    (part of why I'm slow, rather than low carb lol)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My weight stayed stable, but I had seen all of the recipes using almond flour and xylitol to make cakes and desserts, and over used those too. I think that's why, on LCHF, I have avoided *anything sweet*. I'm afraid of my own addictive and over-consuming nature, so I suppose that has a bearing in all of this too. Well, for me it does. Not stating anyone else's journey.

This is true for me, and is why I [personally] avoid the faux carb foods. I can over-eat sweets regardless of their carb content. And some sugar alcohols can cause me to over-eat enough to gain weight. I just have self-control issues when eating sweets and bread-like products that go beyond carbs. Having learned that, through self-experimentation and observation, I just decided they weren't for me. For the people those things work for, more power to them. It's just like the people who can eat all the carbs they want and maintain/lose weight. It's not me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    My weight stayed stable, but I had seen all of the recipes using almond flour and xylitol to make cakes and desserts, and over used those too. I think that's why, on LCHF, I have avoided *anything sweet*. I'm afraid of my own addictive and over-consuming nature, so I suppose that has a bearing in all of this too. Well, for me it does. Not stating anyone else's journey.

This is true for me, and is why I [personally] avoid the faux carb foods. I can over-eat sweets regardless of their carb content. And some sugar alcohols can cause me to over-eat enough to gain weight. I just have self-control issues when eating sweets and bread-like products that go beyond carbs. Having learned that, through self-experimentation and observation, I just decided they weren't for me. For the people those things work for, more power to them. It's just like the people who can eat all the carbs they want and maintain/lose weight. It's not me.
    I find the sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners give me wicked cravings. They do NOTHING to satisfy my sweet tooth. Avoiding is best for me.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »

I find the sugar alcohols and artificial sweeteners give me wicked cravings. They do NOTHING to satisfy my sweet tooth. Avoiding is best for me.

I honestly don't have too much of a sweet tooth to begin with. Salty/crunchy/starchy carbs, ALL DAY, but sweets, less so. However, sometimes, I've just GOT to have a taste of something sweet, mostly after a big meal (carbs or no). If I'm not low-carbing, then that often can spiral out of control. However, if I'm watching my carbs, I find that I can be perfectly satisfied with one teeny tiny piece of dark chocolate (sometimes filled with something; lately I'm loving dark-and-marzipan Ritter Sport). I can even savor it in a few bites over 20-30 minutes. It typically clocks in at 2-3 carbs and is easily worked into my day, even if I'm aiming for keto. I don't know if it's a blood sugar thing, a changing-tastes thing, a mental ("I can't have more than this") thing, or some combo of all three, but I can be satisfied on so much less when my carbs are down. It's a huge thing for me. Sorry, slightly OT, but IMHO it's just another piece to the puzzle of why counting carbs can be so much more effective than just counting calories for some people.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I'll use occasional pseudo food, especially for TOM chocolate mousse, but my bigger issue with them is it seems like a waste of my carbs. I'm on 22g, and that works for me just fine, but on days where I try an almond cake or cheese fudge recipe, the trade off isn't really worth the veggies I'm passing up. I don't have the craving issue, just a general sense of disappointment.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a IIFYM Keto person. I count my calories, carbs, and watch protein and fat. Left to my own devises, I'll over eat because I like food and I like to eat. This means I need to count calories, at least for now, to make sure I reach my goals. Eating only when I'm hungry? I know when I'm hungry, and I know when I'm eating for other reasons. However, my cravings can be so strong (not just sweet food) that I usually need to give in just a bit to stop them. This is why I need to track my calories, so I don't go over board, and this is why I consider myself IIFYM. I'll work my cravings into my macros to still work for me. However, I still focus on getting most of my food from quality items. Right now I need the structure. Will I count forever? I hope not, but I know I will have to for a while if I want to reach my goals.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I find that counting ANYTHING -- carbs, calories, whatever -- helps a ton. It literally makes you accountable for what you eat. It makes you stop and think. It changes the way you view eating: "is it worth the carbs/cals? nah, I'll pass."

I get into trouble when I stop counting.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I seem to be eating right around 1650 calories per day naturally by keeping the carbs low.

As far as veggies go...if you look at the ketogenic plan on the Wahls Protocol (designed for autoimmune issues), she drops from the 9 cups of veggies she recommends on the other 2 plans to only 6, still evenly divided between sulfurous, brightly colored, and green. Can you tell what I'm reading right now? ;)
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    FitGoat sez: " I just have self-control issues when eating sweets and bread-like products that go beyond carbs. "

Yep, me too. Meats or other no carb foods just can't touch it, it's why Keto desserts are a lifesaver.

I had just bought $$ Premium chocolate almonds when I started Keto..tried eating 1/4 of a 1/4 Cup serving!! hahahah it is 4 almonds.. Late at night they called my name…I finally enjoyed a full serving (~15 big almonds) took the 19 carb/16 sugar hit, and recycled the empty. < I win! > I'm sure people have seen Dr. Lustig's "Bitter Truth" sugar lecture, he's operated on severely obese 3 year olds needing gastric surgery, so many sodas loaded with HFCS their little brains never get the "full signal' (it subverts the system) and the High Fructose Corn industry keeps fighting legally for it's increased use and acceptance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z5X0i92OZQ

I saw this years ago and was horrified.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I love veg too - really miss them in quantity!
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think if anyone knows thyself as a bit of an over-eater-( going back for seconds, eating due to boredom or stress)- these are the people that should track. And use that info with the scale and the measuring tape (or those too tight jeans that you want to get back into) as feedback into how you are doing.

Some people do not get the "I'm full signal" soon enough, or eat at set times because that is what they always did- instead of only eating when hungry. It takes work to really listen to your body, and eat accordingly.

I would suggest using it as a tool to realize what a portion size is too. Get that feedback and then drop the tracking when you feel you have learned the ropes and things become a habit.

Just my two cents
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Anyone watch My 600lb Life?
    Listen to the doctor say, ' lower your carbs and increase protein.' Just saying.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I still have to count calories. However, cheese seems to be my biggest issue (I just like it too much and it's easy to grab a piece out of the fridge rather than cook something). I'm going to finish what I have left and not buy it for awhile, maybe then I won't have to track anymore.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm counting calories because I need to make sure I get enough. I'm noticing that it's hard for me to reach my calorie goal these days because the more I read the more I realize I need to eat around 1800 calories to maintain breastfeeding. I'm not sure what I'll do afterward, but like some others here have said, I've had a tendency in the past to not pay attention to what I'm eating, so tracking helps me with that and be mindful of what I put into my body. I'm sure I'll get to a place where this way of eating is automatic for me, but for now I need to track it to stay on plan.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Definitely need to track calories here, at least at this point, if only to monitor protein much in the way I do carbs. I'm trying to reduce blood sugar, and too much protein elevates my morning blood sugars. So unless I incorporate pure fat sources with zero carb/protein, I have to count. At least for now...Lots of good reading and ideas here!
  • FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    [Still a work in progress but this is where I am at right now. Things will be added, others cut.]

One of the original goals, when we cleaned up the group, was to define the place of calories and calorie counting in regards to low-carb. Given that this is MFP, you'll find a lot of people stress counting calories. It's the nature of the beast. If you wish to count calories or believe that not counting will/does not work for you, then continue to count them. Certainly counting calories doesn't stop low-carb from working. When people ask for help setting their macros, even I ask what their calorie goals are.

If you're interested in the reasons you might want to continue (or start) counting calories, check the thread presenting the other side of the calorie counting argument XXX_HERE_XXX.

With that said, I am going to go the path of "Low Carb Bigotry" and state that counting calories is not part of a low carb diet. You do not need to track anything except carbs. If you keep the carbs low, your calories will take care of themselves.

ousq03cx3543.jpg

I openly discourage counting calories and tracking (except where tracking helps you discover the cumulative amount of carbs you're really eating). I tell new people this all the time. I know most ignore it and won't give it a couple months to see for themselves. But, I wish they would. What's the worst that will happen? You might not lose weight for those months? You might gain a little weight? How much will it really set you back? You can always go back to counting calories if it doesn't work for you. It's hard, once you have trained yourself to worry about the calories, to go the other way and start ignoring them.

Switching to low-carb is hard enough on your body without providing it with all the fuel it asks for. Trust your body. Let it adapt before you try and put another stress (calorie restriction) on it. Chances are that it will automatically reduce your calories when it is ready, because you have so much excess stored in body fat.

Let's go through the various low-carb plans and see how they approach calorie counting:
    • Letter on Corpulence (1869) -- William Banting
      I am thoroughly convinced, that it is QUALITY alone which requires notice, and not quantity. This has been emphatically denied by some writers in the public papers, but I can confidently assert, upon the indisputable evidence of many of my correspondents, as well as my own, that they are mistaken.

I apprehend that people of larger frame and build may require a proportionately larger quantity of the prescribed diet, but they must be guided by their own judgment in the application of the principles laid down.
      http://www.lowcarb.ca/corpulence/corpulence_full.html
    • Eat Fat And Grow Slim (1958) -- Richard MacKarness, M.B., B.S
      The beauty of this method of slimming is that once you have got the hang of the proportions of fat, protein and carbohydrate in the foods you choose to eat, you can afford to ignore calories altogether.
      [. . .]
      The much publicised diets with emphasis solely on calories are fallacious. It is excess carbohydrates and not calories only that make a fat man fat. The tiresome business of totting up daily calories, on which most modern reducing diets are based, is a waste of time for an obese person. Because, as Professor Kekwick and Dr. Pawan showed, a fat man may maintain his weight on a low-calorie diet, if it is taken mainly as carbohydrate, but he will lose weight on a much higher calorie diet provided he eats it mainly in the form of fat and protein.
      http://www.ourcivilisation.com/fat/chap2.htm
    • Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution: The High Calorie Way to Stay Thin Forever (1972) Robert Atkins
      The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
      1. Don’t count calories
      http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=430644
    • Jeff Volek (author of Art and Science of Low Carb Living/Performance)
      I’ve effortlessly maintained my weight over 20 years without counting, I never count calories.
      http://www.truehealthunlimited.com/blog/q-a-with-jeff-volek-phd-rd-the-nations-leading-low-carb-expert-scientific-researcher
    • Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy
      “Should I be counting calories?” In a word, no.
      http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter
    • The Calorie Myth -- Johnathan Bailer
      http://youtu.be/e5ewexMZ1-o
      You'll note, he stresses that calories do count. He even says you could gain weight on a high-fat, no carb diet (drinking 10k calories of liquid butter a day). Although, no one would ever do that. And, really that's the whole point. You're not going to want to eat more than your body is able to use. Low Carb is not a denial of the existence of calories. They're there and you'll need to burn off the excess ones you have stored to lose fat.

LowCarbHeart Summed the points up well.
      • If you focus on the quality of what you eat, the quantity will take care of itself
      • It is truly impossible to accurately track calories in and even harder to track calories out
      • Changing the quality of what you eat will cause you to burn more calories than any exercise ever will
      • Sugar is more addictive than cocaine
      • Calorie counting only works for 4.6% of the population
      • Exercise is also about quality not quantity
      • Eating fat doesn't make you fat, it makes you full
      • You burn more calories in the process of burning protein vs carbohydrates
      • Become Fat Adapted vs Sugar Adapted
      • Sometimes the pursuit of health can become unhealthy. If you just stick to eating non-starchy vegetables, nutrient dense protein, whole fat, and low fructose fruits, in that order, you will be fine.

I have ranted on this several times in the past:
    Calories matter, but you don't [shouldn't] need to count or restrict calories. Hydration also matters, but you don't need to count or restrict water intake. Your body, when operating correctly, will take care of caloric balance without conscious intervention on your own part. Are there possible complicating factors which may prevent your body from operating correctly? Sure. You already found one of them. In the presence of carbs, many people's hormones and metabolic signals get messed up and your body fails to operate correctly. Some medications, medical conditions, and other factors could also hinder proper functioning.

If you eat more calories than your body needs, your body will deal with those calories in some way. They will be stored as fat or burned off (there are many ways they can be used up). You don't really get to choose which one happens. You can decide to exercise more, but if you don't it won't prevent your body from burning them in other ways.

Frankly, I ignore all calorie calculations and advice. I've tracked them all, and found the resultant data to be so full of error as to be useless. Years ago, when I lost weight by restricting, I weighed more and was younger. I was also working out. By all accounts, I should have had a higher TDEE (daily calorie burn). But, if I ate 1,700-1,800 calories a day, I would gain weight. It drove me crazy. These days, I am lighter and older than I was. I rarely work out. I have the same job as before. By all accounts, I should have a lower TDEE. All the calculations say my current TDEE should be about 350 calories a day fewer than before. Instead, I am eating ~2,400-2,500 calories a day and still losing weight.

That's right. I have a lower [estimated] TDEE... I am eating ~700 calories more... by all accounts, if the numbers made sense, I should be gaining more than two pounds a week now or I should have been losing more than two pounds a week then.

Truth is, before I had deprived myself to the point where my body metabolically adapted to the amount I had been eating and it had adapted to the exercise level I was doing. Now, it's almost the opposite.

Anyway, long story short... calories matter, but a lot of things you don't need to control matter. We could say that weight loss was simply a matter of carbon balance. If you lose more carbon each day than you take in, you will lose weight (this is true, btw... the fat you burn becomes carbon-dioxide and water). Good luck trying to count the carbon molecules you consume through food and compare them to the amount you lose through the many ways it leaves your body. Calories are the same basic thing. You may have one easy way they come in, but there are many possible things that can happen to them after that and not all of those are under your conscious control.
    I found a large component of low carb was retraining myself to eat the correct amount. I actually had minimum calorie goals, that I would hit, and no maximum calorie goals. Before I hit maintenance, I would eat at least 1,900 calories a day (on average). Below that was only acceptable if the day before had been well over and I truly wasn't hungry. Usually, I would hit a little more than that.

Will you see some weight fluctuations right at the start? I did. You'll have to give your body time to settle and trust that it will.

For me, calories matter much less than carbs. When I add nuts, tons of veggies (particularly non-green ones), fruit, most dairy, sugar-alcohols, artificial sweeteners, etc. I find my calories rise. I can avoid that by tracking every item I eat, which is just not how I choose to live. The other option, for me, is to just avoid them on a general basis. It may be similar for you, except that you want to include a certain amount of calories that aren't filling to get you up to the range you need to eat to stop losing weight.

There are several books you can read:
    1. "Good Calories Bad Calories" By Taubes
    2. "Why We Get Fat" By Taubes
    3. "The Calorie Myth" By Bailor

Off the top of my head, this is all I've got. I may add more later. Eventually, I intend to link to this from the launchpad... unless the other group leaders adamantly refuse to allow such heresy to be part of that.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you feel counting calories isnt important for over eating what about under eating?

I have been eating Keto for 6 days and feel awesome! I have a lot more energy and am losing weight while feeling like I can eat whenever I want.

BUT I am so not hungry I dont eat much. Im averaging about 800 calories a day even though my goal is 1200 calories. Is this a concern? If you believe in listening to your body and eating as much as you want to no matter how many calories that is then if I dont want to eat more isnt that ok too?

I dont feel tired or weak, Im drinking 100 oz of water a day, if my body isnt telling me to eat more by making me hungrier then I shouldnt have to make myself eat more to reach a certain calorie goal right?

• FIT_Goat
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Short term, I would agree with that. Just be willing and prepared for the possibility of a big feast day. I've known people who would do around those levels the first week or so and then suddenly be starving (and they'd eat... a lot... a lot, a lot... talking 4k+ calories). Usually, hunger will normalize around a point that works for your body. If you're eating that low, I'd probably focus on high protein foods first, before the fats. Add as much fat as you feel like you can stomach... but decide the amount of meat you want before you do (like... "I want that big of a steak right now" not "I want 45g of protein at this meal").

If you find yourself craving a bit more fat, eat it. If you want less fat, eat a little leaner cut of meat.

I really doubt you'll want to maintain extremely low for very long. But, the initial switch is well known to cause extreme loss of hunger. Just listen to what you want.

Don't panic if you have a 5k calorie day. It will be ok. You won't have undone your work. Your body is just rebooting.

Edit: While under-eating is probably a larger concern than over-eating (as hypercaloric intake seems to be a relatively well handled thing with low carb) because you could lose muscle mass, I wouldn't worry unless it becomes a constant. Your appetite should pick up after a while. Just don't ignore it when it happens and you'll be fine.