Another low carb thread assault ....smh...

Options
http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10102613/low-carb-dieters#latest

Oh boy. Though I will say some of the supporters of the LCHF woe are not helping the cause.

Replies

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    To be fair, OP seems to be ignoring any and all comments by the LC group but is doing a fair amount of arguing. To each their own. She was given the link here, hopefully she'll find her way over. I wish we could discuss low carb on the main forums without 1.)defending ourselves and/or 2.) giving a full disclosure of our medical history. If you say you're diabetic you get like 2 answers, and the know-it-alls have nothing to say. If you say you just want to cut carbs down a bit, suddenly you're a heretic.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    To be fair, OP seems to be ignoring any and all comments by the LC group but is doing a fair amount of arguing. To each their own. She was given the link here, hopefully she'll find her way over. I wish we could discuss low carb on the main forums without 1.)defending ourselves and/or 2.) giving a full disclosure of our medical history. If you say you're diabetic you get like 2 answers, and the know-it-alls have nothing to say. If you say you just want to cut carbs down a bit, suddenly you're a heretic.

Yes, I think the biggest problem I have with them is the all or nothing mentality. Many of us were there, trying to lose at x amount of calories on a SAD and either lost nothing or gained, so we lowered x amount of calories till we were starving ourselves. Then we tried LCHF and we ate MORE than x calories and lost weight, so we added a few more calories and we still lost weight.

Until I realized my IR and PCOS were having more problems with what I ate than with how much I ate, i felt i was a failure. Why couldnt I lose like everyone else? What was I doing wrong that CICO didnt work? I measured and weighed meticulously and I still didnt lose. I exercised till I hurt myself and I still didnt lose. And reading the main forums I thought I was the worst person ever, and I remember crying because ppl were saying the same things to me that they are saying to everyone else, CICO works always unless you defy the laws of physics and I knew I was doing all I could and it wasnt enough.

I hate the bullying on here when it comes to something else than straight CICO. I know, because I logged, that I was eating about 800 calories a day and wasnt losing and now on LCHF i can eat about 1500 calories and lose. But apparently I defy the laws of nature and I am lying. I feel so bad for new ones who ask questions over there and get chewed out or told they are lying or doing it wrong because straight CICO is king over all. I try to mail and or private message them to direct them over here but I wish there was something we could do to get the word out.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Holy crap already 6 pages since Wednesday. Not going to step into that one. Like Sugarbeat says. She has the link. I need to keep myself on as much of an even keel as possible. It breaks my heart to see people struggling like the OP was doing. I just do not go to the main boards now. I barely have time to come here. Really sad.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I messaged OP. She wants the drama. She had no interest, it seemed, in coming here for a more receptive audience.

To each their own. Sometimes, you just want to fight.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."

(Always liked this version better, and so appropriate when referring to the "litterbox.")
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »
    "God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me."

(Always liked this version better, and so appropriate when referring to the "litterbox.")

Love that!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I messaged OP. She wants the drama. She had no interest, it seemed, in coming here for a more receptive audience.

To each their own. Sometimes, you just want to fight.

I tried that too, and never heard back. I love that just posting the link here got my own personal growth on my butt that won't go away *sigh*
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    The problem is, the OP's first post was asking for input from other low carbers. Immediately the CICO crowd chimes in and the OP started fighting back. Now maybe the particular OP on that thread doesn't really want support. But what about those who do? No being able to give out any info about low carb on the main forums is really sucky. I found this group originally through a link someone posted in a similar thread. So I think getting the info out there is worth it even if you have to swim with the sharks.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    The problem is, the OP's first post was asking for input from other low carbers. Immediately the CICO crowd chimes in and the OP started fighting back. Now maybe the particular OP on that thread doesn't really want support. But what about those who do? No being able to give out any info about low carb on the main forums is really sucky. I found this group originally through a link someone posted in a similar thread. So I think getting the info out there is worth it even if you have to swim with the sharks.

I was talking to someone else yesterday that it looked like there were a lot of POE accounts posting just to stir stuff up. (POE means people who intentionally write a troll post taking the side of those they disagree with, then make obnoxious claims so other people from "their" side can swoop in and "win"). After the first few pages on that one I started to wonder if that might be one, though the original post didn't start out like the more obvious ones. How likely is it there'd really be 2 soda threads, 3 moderation threads, an extremist high protein/lc thread, and I think there was a sugar thread in the mix too, all in the span of a few hours?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I was talking to someone else yesterday that it looked like there were a lot of POE accounts posting just to stir stuff up. (POE means people who intentionally write a troll post taking the side of those they disagree with, then make obnoxious claims so other people from "their" side can swoop in and "win"). After the first few pages on that one I started to wonder if that might be one, though the original post didn't start out like the more obvious ones. How likely is it there'd really be 2 soda threads, 3 moderation threads, an extremist high protein/lc thread, and I think there was a sugar thread in the mix too, all in the span of a few hours?

Interesting possibility. But still sucky.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes does a pretty good job explaining the science in more layman's terms with a boat load off foot notes and references to back it up.
    Not all calorie sources are processed the same way. Fructose and Glucose are both sugars. But fructose causes fat build up in the liver and can lead to fatty liver disease. Glucose does not. High Fructose Corn Syrup is even worse.
    Carbs tell your body to create/store fat. Protein tells your body to burn fat.

Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It is a great read. And it is not a diet book. He avoids that because there are plenty of LCHF food plan guides out there. He sticks to the science and even goes into how and why that counter productive food pyramid was produced. It had nothing to do with science. Just money and politics.We all have different metabolisms. And while a simple deficit may work for some, there is not a one size fits all answer. But the government demands such and so the establishment bends to government will and money. And the government only funds "research" that gets the outcomes they need to support the actions they want to take. (Same thing in 'climate research.')
  • ShawnaDrew
    ShawnaDrew Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Oh man that thread is just crazy. I get angry at 2 of the posters in particular (angry to myself, not actually posting) and tell myself I am not looking at it again, then an hour later I am back on there.

All I know, is that its working for me right now, I feel amazing and I am gonna keep going!
  • Sugarbeat
    Options
    tru2one wrote: »

Love that!
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

This is why I still get in and post sometimes, knowing full well I won't get anywhere with the person I'm arguing with.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

This is why I still get in and post sometimes, knowing full well I won't get anywhere with the person I'm arguing with.

Same. My first week here I was told I was going to have brain damage and kidney failure if I kept doing keto, and I got an official warning for asking where they got their medical degree. I don't doubt a lot of people get chased off by that kind of thing all the time.

Interesting side note, there's a new thread by someone who was just prescribed keto for epilepsy. Guess who hasn't posted in that thread.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am going to find that thread and post in it.... Singing... To dream the impossible dream... To fight the unbeatable foe.... Sancho my steed my helmet.... Onward to glory I go...
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Darn.... Cant find the thread....
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    That thread made my head hurt. Ugh.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Darn.... Cant find the thread....

LOL the OP of this thread linked it in her OP
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I went back and looked a few times. Just made me angry. I do feel that she was rather looking for a fight though. You can not claim that your woe is superior to anyone else's without causes friction, and really if whatever way someone is eating is working for them, your way is NOT superior. For them. It might be for you...but not everyone. LCHF works for me (I think, I have been feeling discouraged lately) and I do believe that the less processed crap the better. However, I have a friend that has lost over 100+ pounds on basically CICO.

Anyway, the OP of that thread was a little dramatic but I have seen others that just make me sad because I can only imagine how many people get scared off of MFP altogether by the trolls and "coco, no one's a special snowflake" crowd.