March Chat

Options

Replies

• debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Back from Vegas! 7 days of eating restaurant foods, even being careful I put on weight. of course I expected a couple of lbs, but when i got home after 6 hours of flying, my legs looked like tree trunks. I put on 8 lbs when I got home, but by this a.m. had dropped 3 already. pushing the water water and more water. Had a great time tho!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Back from Vegas! 7 days of eating restaurant foods, even being careful I put on weight. of course I expected a couple of lbs, but when i got home after 6 hours of flying, my legs looked like tree trunks. I put on 8 lbs when I got home, but by this a.m. had dropped 3 already. pushing the water water and more water. Had a great time tho!

That is why I always wait at least a couple of days before weighing after air travel. My feet and ankle look like ancient oaks, LOL.

Traveling and eating is always a challenge. DH and I usually split as many dishes as we can to help with that. Luckily in some place like Vegas there is plenty of fresh veggies to go along with the "bad" stuff and that always seems to help us both.

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ker95texas wrote: »
    just wanted to say...
    moon-034.gif plus hungry-2.gif equals eating-a-whole-cake-smiley-emoticon.gif

Needs to stop. That is all.
    -marilyn/ker

Well today is my turn to confess that despite my long streak of healthy eating and exercising, last night I stayed up way too late and went crazy with SUGAR and CARBS - aarrrgghh!! I will do my best to recall and record what I ate, but it was ugly - UGLY I tell you!!

However, today is a fresh day and I will just have to look at this as a blip on the radar. I have to keep in mind that I used to do this ALL the time, and this is NOT what I usually do now. *sigh*

I have faith that **tonight** will be different - and I appreciate knowing that you all understand this craziness! Thanks for listening ~ Kathy
  • IndianaPapaw
    IndianaPapaw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    WooHoo, finally back on my bike. We've been traveling for a few days so it was great to finally get out and get some exercise. I've set a goal of 700 miles for this spring and summer so it was good to get the first six miles done. It was windy but it was exciting to think I had almost 50 pounds less too peddle around since the last time I was on the bike last fall.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    WooHoo, but it was exciting to think I had almost 50 pounds less too peddle around since the last time I was on the bike last fall.

Fantastic!!

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    WooHoo, finally back on my bike... It was windy but it was exciting to think I had almost 50 pounds less too peddle around since the last time I was on the bike last fall.

That's marvelous! I'm looking forward to getting my bike back out soon ~ Kathy

• gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm back in the swing of things--two days of exercise and eating under my calories. I have decided to stay as close to my calorie limit as I can, whether I exercise or not. Weekend will be busy catching up with family and friends, so we'll just have to see how it goes and hope for the best.
  • PrairiePride49
    PrairiePride49 Posts: 45 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mxchana wrote:Well today is my turn to confess that despite my long streak of healthy eating and exercising, last night I stayed up way too late and went crazy with SUGAR and CARBS - aarrrgghh!! I will do my best to recall and record what I ate, but it was ugly - UGLY I tell you!!

Been there, done that and know exactly how you feel. But by recording what you ate, you are taking responsibility for your actions. Keep at it, you'll get there.
    I had a tough day today too, and didn't make great choices. Sometimes I just prowl and eat whatever I can find. But, I was able to stay under calories! Being frustrated with my sewing machine, a cow who had her calf in a snowbank, and myself for being all over the place and not able to stick to my quilting led me to the food. But I did choose real food over processed so that is a bonus. And I will go to bed early so the munchies don't get me tonight!!!!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have you ever noticed that when looking at your diary and you go over your goal limit, in most cases, you could have found just ONE THING that would have brought you back below your goal and you really wouldn't have missed it at the end of the day? It was just a crazy impulse at the time? A comment Ker made recently really got me noticing this and going back to my diaries. It isn't a lot of small choices, it is usually just one bad one!

So last night I entered my "plan" for today and I was over by about 60 calories I think. Not much and I was going to live with that. I'll get plenty of exercise today. But, when I was making breakfast this a.m. and went to get out the peanut butter that I had already logged to put on my toast, I realized by just switching to the sugar-free raspberry preserves in the fridge brought me down below 1200! In the greater scheme of things, I won't really miss the peanut butter. I have enough excess calories now that I could even have an iced coffee with International Delight tonight as a treat and still not go over my goal.

Guess the point I need to reinforce to myself is: If I'm going to go to the trouble to log my food, I'm going to take the time to really analyze where the pitfalls are and continue to try to make changes! Sort of like I did when I first started this journey.

• retirehappy
    Options
    edited:
    Guess the point I need to reinforce to myself is: If I'm going to go to the trouble to log my food, I'm going to take the time to really analyze where the pitfalls are and continue to try to make changes! Sort of like I did when I first started this journey.

Great point GMCharlie. I do that with my exercise logs as well now.

Of course there are times when I want that bad choice, and I have to live with that choice.

• Wooken3
    Wooken3 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The fear of Friday the 13th has been called friggatriskaidekaphobia, and while it may seem like an outdated concept to fear the day, the superstition still lives.

fzog9n0cgarq.jpg
    FRIGGATRISKAIDEKAPHOBIA [frig-uh-trisk-eye-deck-uh-pho-bee-uh]
    PARASKEVIDEKATRIAPHOBIA [pa-ruh-skay-vee-day-car-fo-bee-uh]

• retirehappy
    Options
  • photopat48
    photopat48 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just read the March chat from day one. So many great comments and discussions! It definitely is more difficult to lose weight as you age. Slower metabolism, health issues, etc. But it really helps to be a part of a group that is so supportive and can relate to what we do. I've had a number of surgeries-back, knee and broken bones, but I bicycle regularly and count my steps with my Garmin Vivofit, which really helps to keep me up off the sofa. (Also has the heartrate monitor.) I just stopped my monthly debit to Weight Watchers also. I'm really happy with MFP and this group is great.
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Good morning Pat. Welcome! So glad you found us. This group is very supportive!
  • Wooken3
    Options
    Spring Count down ==> http://days.to/spring/2015

8lv1icibsdqm.jpg
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Hi guys....just got back from a weekend away.......I think I have done ok.......a couple of breakfasts and dinners in hotels and pubs but minimal lunches to compensate. We were at a Winery with lots of taster samples of wines, beers and liqueurs but I didn't go crazy and drank plenty of water. I will know in the morning when I get on the scales. I spent two and a half hours at an Elvis Exhibition on Saturday which was great......it's the first time they have had such a huge exhibition in this country, lots of stuff from Graceland including cars! I have been to Graceland four times but it was very cool to see it all here in the UK......I will be going back again in August just before it closes when they are shipping in the 1955 Pink Caddy....a gorgeous car and so Rock n Roll! <3 (*) B):D

Jean
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Had a great busy weekend, saw 6 of 8 grandkids, worked 6 1/2 hours OT (8p.m.-2:30a.m.)!!!, partied w/some friends, one grandson's bday party, daughter and son-in-law's bday dinner!. Lots of food, but hopefully, when I get on the scale tomorrow, I will not be disappointed. This weeks challenge from the Wellness Challenge at work is to invite a friend to take a 30 minute walk. Today, DH I walked, Tue, Wed and Thurs. I have asked a friend to walk and on Friday, again w/DH. Ankle and leg are doing better. Keeping walk to 30 minutes this week, increasing to 45 minutes next week. Joni B) It was 77 degrees toda!
  • Wooken3
    Options
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I saw Paula Deen on Dr. Oz yesterday. I banned her show from being on in my house years ago when I saw her making bread pudding out of Krispee Kreme donuts lol. But I have loved the recipes that her son Bobby has done and have one of his cookbooks. She said that she goes with the theory that little changes lead to big results and for her moderation and cooking light is the best way to go. I agree with her. After years of trying different diets and weight loss theories, I came to the conclusion that it makes to sense to do something that you do not plan to to do for a lifetime. I do plan to buy her new book. The recipe book I use most, however, is a plain notebook that I started. I search the internet for light recipes I like, print them and try them and if we like them add them to my book. That way every recipe in it is tried and true the only money I spend is the ink. I have quite a lot from Ellie Kreiger, Bobby Deen, and Cooking Light. I do try to cook with whole grains and I use very little white sugar or processed foods. Its working slowly!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @DreamOn: Those are excellent thoughts, Dream. If it isn't sustainable, it won't work. When I started I stuck strictly to 1200 calories even though at 230 pounds with regular exercise, I could have easily eaten more, but I knew, as I got closer to my goal, 1200 calories would cause a very slow weight loss and if I get to 115, 1200 calories may well be my maintenance level. Didn't think it made sense to start out at 1500-1700 calories just to have to keep cutting them back. Made sense to get used to 1200 from the beginning.