Visceral Fat - So Interesting & So Overlooked

Options
124»

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    They sound wonderful Shades. Yes, officially it's Autumn here but the weather is still very much Summer. So it should be! It was awfully late arriving ;) I will have to ask around family to see who eats pumpkin and ask them to save the seeds for me. I find it too high carb for my goals, but would certainly like some seeds to nibble on.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I went to the Australian Food Standards page yesterday (thanks to Knit) and they had a spreadsheet I could download with all of the calories, vitamins etc etc in everything.

Do you have a link?

• GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Man that was hard to dig out from their main site, even though I managed to find it yesterday LOL foodstandards.gov.au/science/monitoringnutrients/ausnut/ausnutdatafiles/Pages/foodnutrient.aspx
    There's a link on that page that says 'Access the AUSNUT... Database... Excel' and if you click on that it downloads it to your computer. There are 'sorting arrows' at the top of each column so that if you're looking for foods with, for example, Magnesium, you can click on that arrow, choose highest to lowest, and it will list the best examples at the top for you. Obviously then your task is to find the LCHF foods amongst the thousands of breakfast cereals in this case.

It said elsewhere on the site that they've recently added more bush foods. That would be interesting for the non-Aussies ;)
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you Granny May- such helpful information on your links!
    -
  • GrannyMayOz
    Options
    Thank you Granny May- such helpful information on your links!
    -
    You're welcome. I'm an information addict, and I also love to share.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I went to the Australian Food Standards page yesterday (thanks to Knit) and they had a spreadsheet I could download with all of the calories, vitamins etc etc in everything.

Was horrified to see that the pumpkin and sunflower seeds say they're high in trans fats though!

I'm glad an idea I had helped! It's funny how I've gotten used to being called Knit. For anyone who cares, my real name is Carly. LOL

The seeds that are high in trans fats are usually because that's what they are fried in. Yes, most "roasted" nuts are "roasted" by frying them, and I'd guess in trans fats to make them "tastier." I vote for @shadesofidaho 's method!!! Make 'em yourself if you can... or buy the plain, unadulterated kind and fix 'em up.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, and one bad* thing I've noticed about losing my visceral fat first is that my internal muscles are not keeping up with tightening things up internally, and my stuffings are trying to use gravity to "escape" from my cavities (POP for anyone who wants to google or isn't my friend to see my WAY TMI post today)...

I should modify this statement. It isn't BAD...just massively inconvenient side effect aggravating an underlying condition luckily most don't (yet?) have to suffer with due to my own complications...
  • oriaku
    oriaku Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Very interesting read. What is LCHF? and Keto? bear with me, I'm new to this.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    LCHF = low carb high fat
    keto = ketosis or ketogenic
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Low Carb high fat means you quit eating carbs as sugars ,grains and starchy vegetables. You generally replace a lot of the carbs you no longer eat with more fats.. You do not want to go low carb high protein low fat. That is not a nice combination. Depending on which low carb plan you use will determine the number of carbs you are trying to eat or not eat per day. If you are under 30 carbs per day you usually will get into a state of ketosis.

Keto diet is a WOE-way of eating that keeps you in ketosis It is very much like the LCHF WOE but it usually allows more carbs.

some people like me have go go very low carbs. Under 20 or less per day to be able to even lose the smallest amount of weight. I have other issues that make it harder for me. After my weight is lost, hoping I live long enough. LOL I hope to slide up to the Keto WOE which is less restrictive than my Atkins WOE plan.

There is also a Launch Pad at the top of this group that will give you lots of useful information.

There is a KETO group also. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    oriaku wrote: »
    Very interesting read. What is LCHF? and Keto? bear with me, I'm new to this.

Oriako,

Check this out:

DittoDan's Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology

I hope it helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • donnaamarie
    Options
    This is very interesting, thank you for posting it. I think it's especially important to know that we are doing really good things for the inside of our bodies. I know that when the scale stops moving downward it's really hard to stay motivated. Reading something like this shores me up for the long haul and makes me realize it's all very important, inside and outside.